Ah... *cracks beer* the zzone. .
E. O Wilson died recently. rumor is it was while reading this thread.

tears posted:

Certainly the spider does not learn to spin its web by observation or through being taught, it probably ate its mother as well

part of a paper I'm currently writing includes a brief tangent on instinct (from the perspective of the instinct-intellect relation in Bergson) and i like this post so much i would plagiarize this part if i wasn't morally averse, or if i thought citing a forum post in my thesis would pass muster

love to view completely readable threads like these, thank you for bumping
get ready for, biosemiotics

aerdil posted:

everyone can still read my posts so i am not seeing what the issue is here?

aerdil posted:

i remember when i was young my mother was listening to some hip hop radio edit and she remarked afterward that the silences scattered throughout the track in place of cusswords lent it an almost meditative quality at times — like the rapper was just allowing the previous thought to permeate the air and then fade

and that's, i think, maybe a good way to view the proverbial swiss-cheese threads

aerdil posted:

the summary is that a poster prone to manic leaps in logic on scientific topics tried to draw a bunch of shaky comparisons between humans and eusocial insects and got owned, then followed the likely path to becoming a "vaccine skeptic", melted down, was ifapped and ragequit the forums

Edited by Constantignoble ()

almost met up with Toyotathon at a grover furr talk thing. *I* actually showed up.... he was a no show. Still got grover's business card :D
i doublepostered

Themselves posted:

almost met up with Toyotathon at a grover furr talk thing. *I* actually showed up.... he was a no show. Still got grover's business card :D

is his card just for his university job or does he have a cool custom one for stalin related engagements?

toyo if u read this i still think of you as a true rad :P

lo posted:

Themselves posted:

is his card just for his university job or does he have a cool custom one for stalin related engagements?

It's a regular Montclair university card. I can't seem to find it or I would post a photo :( :( :(