the file system disappeared from view because apple had to lock everyone into their ecosystem; the computing abstractions we have are shaped by monopoly capital. shit like cloud storage and touch screen interfaces might be useful in some ways, but mostly they're just a result of value capture and on the whole they're implicated in a colossal waste of human activity. access to computing power sounds great, but we know that what we're talking about mostly boils down to sharing Face ID'd photos, viewing advertisements, and being brain poisoned in other ways.

it's just like the gearheads who shout into the void about the loss of manual transmissions. sure, the opaque box is socially dangerous. but on the other hand driving is now immensely more accessible. but actually: fuck automobiles, we shouldn't be driving at all.

Edited by nearlyoctober ()

tears posted:

part of the lowering of that barrier is that your no longer need to even understand a file structure to access and untilise that power.

while true another part of lowering that barrier has been that you also don't need to understand what is being exchanged for access to that power. the dynamic is also shifted significantly from being 'offered access to computing power' to increasingly requiring ceding access to the totality of your digital personhood, relations and knowledge production processes as fodder for opaque technofascist computing channeled toward consolidating a power that is not yours.

Constantignoble posted:

like, if we'd already transcended class, i don't think the idea of people needing to learn less and having more autonomy on what they focus on would trouble me at all

not a personal criticism, but this is some falc shit; a false promise based on severing learning from agency/autonomy.

i realize i've veered off, but to get thread back on track to irl; i'm interested in any direct conversations tears or others have had with young people's around their experience of the last 1.5 years.

while not knowing what a chemical reaction is at that stage in formal education is lamentable, i've noticed a broader and more concerning disengagement or lack of curiosity about pretty much everything irl. although the other day i watched some young kids casually collaborating to set fire to public furniture in a playground and it gave me some hope. the firefighters were quite chill about it too.

Edited by Gssh ()

Gssh posted:

not a personal criticism, but this is some falc shit; a false promise based on severing learning from agency/autonomy.

None taken, but I don't follow this thought; if anything I'm trying to say the opposite, I think? I.e., that if we've got all the cards face up and we're all actually working to improve the lot of humanity and the world at large, then we no longer need to stress about what ulteriority might lie behind this or that technical change, and likewise educational choices can accord more with one's desire to specialize or generalize. What's been severed there? (Maybe the "less" just gave a bad impression, but at that point I was, not very clearly, gesturing at how much time we have to spend just arming ourselves against exploitation, ideology, etc.)

Edited by Constantignoble ()

Constantignoble posted:

https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

Saavik Ford, a professor of astronomy at the Borough of Manhattan Community College.

tbh these all sound like normal opinions older people have about younger people that go back to medieval university instructors lamenting their students' greater interest in beer over God
I think the key strategy is to be a younger person who bilks money from rich older people by playing the role of "good young person who agrees all the other young people are bad." So all of us should get right on that.

cars posted:

tbh these all sound like normal opinions older people have about younger people that go back to medieval university instructors lamenting their students' greater interest in beer over God

maybe? i didn't read the article, but if you're referring to the discussion here i think buying too much into the idea of generational divide is perhaps 'not marxist and consistently erases class'

Romans, though you’re guiltless, you’ll still expiate
your fathers’ sins, till you’ve restored the temples,
and the tumbling shrines of all the gods,
and their images, soiled with black smoke.

You rule because you are lower than the gods
you worship: all things begin with them: credit
them with the outcome. Neglected gods
have made many woes for sad Italy.

Already Parthians, and Monaeses
and Pacorus, have crushed our inauspicious
assaults, and laugh now to have added
our spoils to their meagre treasures.

Dacians and Ethiopians almost toppled
the City, mired in civil war, the last feared
for their fleet of ships, and the others
who are best known for their flying arrows.

Our age, fertile in its wickedness, has first
defiled the marriage bed, our offspring, and homes:
disaster’s stream has flowed from this source
through the people and the fatherland.

The young girl early takes delight in learning
Greek dances, in being dressed with all the arts,
and soon meditates sinful affairs,
with every fibre of her new being:

later at her husband’s dinners she searches
for younger lovers, doesn’t mind to whom she
grants all her swift illicit pleasures
when the lights are far removed, but she rises,

openly, when ordered to do so, and not
without her husband’s knowledge, whether it’s for
some peddler, or Spanish ship’s captain,
an extravagant buyer of her shame.

The young men who stained the Punic Sea with blood
they were not born of such parentage, those who
struck at Pyrrhus, and struck at great
Antiochus, and fearful Hannibal:

they were a virile crowd of rustic soldiers,
taught to turn the furrow with a Sabine hoe,
to bring in the firewood they had cut
at the instruction of their strict mothers.

when the sun had lengthened the mountain shadows,
and lifted the yokes from the weary bullocks,
bringing a welcome time of rest,
with the departure of his chariot.

What do the harmful days not render less?
Worse than our grandparents’ generation, our
parents’ then produced us, even worse,
and soon to bear still more sinful children.

nearlyoctober posted:

the file system disappeared from view because apple had to lock everyone into their ecosystem; the computing abstractions we have are shaped by monopoly capital. shit like cloud storage and touch screen interfaces might be useful in some ways, but mostly they're just a result of value capture and on the whole they're implicated in a colossal waste of human activity. access to computing power sounds great, but we know that what we're talking about mostly boils down to sharing Face ID'd photos, viewing advertisements, and being brain poisoned in other ways.

it's just like the gearheads who shout into the void about the loss of manual transmissions. sure, the opaque box is socially dangerous. but on the other hand driving is now immensely more accessible. but actually: fuck automobiles, we shouldn't be driving at all.

I think you could probably create an environment where facial recognition or data sale doesn't exist but computers and cell phones seem pretty useful to me. There's no real alternative to them either, unlike cars and trains. brain poisoning is up to the users themselves, much like alcohol or whippets.

liceo posted this in the rec room: https://projects.propublica.org/toxmap/

i worked 1 square away from the aptly named sterigenics place for 2 years yay

there's an FBI office right there too so you take the good with the bad i guess

Gssh posted:

i think buying too much into the idea of generational divide is perhaps 'not marxist and consistently erases class'

yes

i'm hip i'm cool i'm fifty
im buju. I’m gay
that place gave me cancer even before i knew of sterigenetics
there's a street there that's named after charles lindbergh - it can't be more than twenty years old
just ate the last reese's peanut butter cup in the shape of a pumpkin. Nature is healing

serafiym posted:

I think you could probably create an environment where facial recognition or data sale doesn't exist but computers and cell phones seem pretty useful to me. There's no real alternative to them either, unlike cars and trains. brain poisoning is up to the users themselves, much like alcohol or whippets.

speaking of phones, i'm guessing we can't just keep making billions of these every year or two without massively depleting rare earth elements. are there any plans to address this or is it the usual "technology will save us somehow" solutions?

Synergy posted:

serafiym posted:

speaking of phones, i'm guessing we can't just keep making billions of these every year or two without massively depleting rare earth elements. are there any plans to address this or is it the usual "technology will save us somehow" solutions?

no

by what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us of our birthright? none i say. let us take what is ours, post and tweet our fill
Monday is my first day working as an electrician apprentice. Glad to finally be out of the food and retail grind.
E: gotta love a double post
somewhere, maybe in this thread if the search function worked, there is a post by stego that goes something like "electricians are cops with wire"

anyways, that's what i wanted to quote
soon as i clocked out & walked out the door the fire alarm went off. i turned around and spent the next hour or so putzing with the control system to stop the equipment & then cleaning up a chemical spill :) be nice if we had a budget that allowed us to conduct preventative maintenance, have a back-up system that is actually operational, or even just be fully staffed
city has an army of folks cutting grass on the public golf courses every morning but caint figure how to keep the fuckin water plant running w/o mandatory overtime . where do they think the potable water comes from, that they spray on the grass so much that it needs to be cut every morning
dont worry, i just got a job in the public sector
my workplace has been promoting this Simon Sinek guy a lot lately. according to the wiki he has connections to ICE and RAND, lol

Synergy posted:

my workplace has been promoting this Simon Sinek guy a lot lately. according to the wiki he has connections to ICE and RAND, lol

well of course the CIA would promote that guy!

As a child he lived in Johannesburg, London and Hong Kong before his family settled in the United States.

gee i wonder what his parents did

im working too hard
i apparently passed out and didn't remember what year it was. They never told me what year I guessed.
after only a week back in my own home a sudden death has once again dragged me back to my hometown.

my parent's Syrian neighbors sent over a plate of homemade baklava. they are very kind.
Upvotes as condolences and as respect towards nice neighbors and their homemade baklava
i'm working for a housing authority and i'm experiencing the same stupid office bullshit that i always had to endure working for shitty corporate assholes. i know this comes as kind of a shock to... nobody. but i just wanted to say it.
teaching is hell and i love it
laughing and reading those "day in the life" articles about teaching. heres mine:

7am: arrive at work, eat breakfast in the car (paracetamol, lithium carbonate, fluoxetine, olanzapine)
7:05am: make a coffee with partially boiled water, drink in 1 go. Make another.
7:10am: re-seat a class of idiots, try in vain to remember what i did yesterday
7:30am remember i forgot to plan a lesson, do some last minute photocopying, look over todays practical equipment, run through everything that can go wrong: knives, raw meat, acid, bunsen burners, copper sulfate, skim through some powerpoints
8am, have another coffee, realise i forgot to mark some tests i need to upload to a tracking sheet
8:20am: kids start arriving for tutor time, do some pre-approved pshe task, teach a child how to tie a tie, almost fall asleep
9am: lesson 1, muddle through some top set meiosis, set them book work
10am: year 8 energy transfers and power. cildren stare blankly at a selection of kettles and other electrical appliances send some kids out for messing around.
11am: break time, spend it doing detentions with year 8: pen throwing
11:25am take 5 minutes to choke down another coffee
11:30am: year 7 chicken wing dissection. Try my utmost to stop them getting food poisoning. spend 20 mins in a state of battlefield arousal as i watch children slice and dice with scalpels
12:30pm the same meiosis lesson, but for kids who cant read good. Remind them about homework, prognosis: poor
1:30pm: lunch time detentions: trying to do english homework in my miosis lesson - cant say i blame them
1:55pm: cold coffee made earlier
2pm: production of a pure sample of copper sulfate crystals from copper oxide and sulfuric acid. 9 students proudly hand me their behavior report intervention forms at the beginning of the lesson - paperwork, cool. spend 30 minutes in a state of hyper battlefield arousal as i try and prevent 30 children from boiling acid, setting themselves on fire, picking up red-hot tripods with their bare hands and "testing what copper sulfate tastes like". Shout at some students and send them off to isolation for "setting fire to things"
3pm: after school detentions: no homework. Chat with students i excluded in my disappointed voice
3.20pm: fall asleep during CPD
4pm: mark those tests, plan next day
5.30pm: call parent regarding a student calling me a "boring bitch".
5:45: log the days 14 detentions and 8 merits on SIMS, reply to emails, fill in paperwork
6pm: set homework for a class three days ago due in tomorrow
6:30pm: wash 8 half drunk cups of coffee, go home
7pm: eat first food of day that wasn't a custard cream. Drink some beer.
well, what does copper sulfate taste like?
Very carefully
you boring bitch

aerdil posted:

you boring bitch

ill be calling your parents