CEO of Surveillance Firm Banjo Once Helped KKK Leader Shoot Up a Synagogue

Patton appeared to be able to leave his past behind, presumably thanks to an FBI agent’s typo. Because Patton’s name was misspelled in the initial affidavit of probable cause filed in Brown’s case — an FBI agent apparently spelled Damien with an “o” rather than an “e” — any search of a federal criminal court database for “Damien Patton” would not have surfaced the affidavit.

In March, a Vice investigation (into Banjo distributing apps as shadow company to steal login credentials and scrape user's private social media data) highlighted a $20.7 million contract between the company and the state of Utah. The agreement gave Banjo real-time access to (state's traffic, CCTV, and public safety cameras), emergency calls, and location information for first-responder vehicles.

A Banjo lobbyist once compared the company to the secretive surveillance company Palantir. “We essentially do what Palantir does,” the lobbyist said, according to the notes. “We do it live.”

*edit: snipe

Edited by Gssh ()

lol I saw that earlier today but only just now seeing that it's a different surveillance tech firm ran by alt-right people than the one I'd assumed (Clearview AI)
Delphi: Towards Machine Ethics and Norms
arxiv.org/abs/2110.07574
"Delphi is a commonsense moral model with a robust performance of language-based moral reasoning on complicated everyday situations."

https://delphi.allenai.org/

Automated surveillance is extremely advanced nowadays, but with cheap digital cameras in everyone's pockets, imo this is the present-becoming-near-future main mode of surveillance of the masses—extracting the labor of surveillance from those surveilled. One of those things that might be doy-obvious to people on this site but there it is. Take a picture of yourself holding up your Beast-Pass® to get a one-day advance on your air-tank ration

Gssh posted:

Delphi: Towards Machine Ethics and Norms
arxiv.org/abs/2110.07574
https://delphi.allenai.org/

delphi's responses are automatically extrapolated from a survey of mcrib scoffing amerikkkan labor aristocrats and may contain offensive results

cars posted:

Automated surveillance is extremely advanced nowadays, but with cheap digital cameras in everyone's pockets, imo this is the present-becoming-near-future main mode of surveillance of the masses—extracting the labor of surveillance from those surveilled. One of those things that might be doy-obvious to people on this site but there it is. Take a picture of yourself holding up your Beast-Pass® to get a one-day advance on your air-tank ration

getting my last job involved sending a document verification service a full set of mugshots and also a voiceprint. i had a bad rash and a different haircut to my ID card and so the algorithm failed sixteen different times

Coincidence? Maybe. It's a south Korean TV network in 2021 trying to remove a video of Joe Biden dropping out of the presidential race in the 80s due to his plagiarism.

buying up decades of Joe Biden video rights to corner the Asian markets. He’s really big over there
joe biden back catalogue
We're about to lose South Korea fellas, time to call upon Biden's vast support of Bangtan Boys
I thought bangtan boys was more up Leslie Graham's alley
Update: I countered the takedown notice, and South Korea, Inc has relented.

Surrender culture, you love to see it.
Bangtan boys? I hardly know em!
The speed of U.S. and NATO locking down both private and public news sources that don't toe a certain line, all over the world, makes me think tangentially about how, if both NASA and ESA ever thought it were a good idea to mislead the world about a predicted impact event, an asteroid or comet hitting the Earth, by tweaking the publicly available data to conceal the event or support false claims about its effects, they'd apparently be able to do so pretty easily. Didn't really think that was feasible until now. But all they'd have to do is state that differing conclusions from Moscow, Beijing, etc., were conspiracy-theory propaganda and run the exact same program they've implemented today. Spooky.
I think its fucked up our democracy is under threat from disinformation, misinformation and malinformation. But its even more fucked up that none of these things ever happened or were a problem until like two years ago so we have no choice but to create new and innovative AI powered solutions to stamp them out
Welcome back FUCK_MY_NEKO_ASS

dimashq posted:

Welcome back FUCK_MY_NEKO_ASS

thinking about how back when Obama was president, Fox News ran constant hate stories about Elon Musk as an anti-Amerikkkan SUV hater whose hippie boondoggle fake company Tesla only survived through nursing at the taxpayer’s teat. To be fair, things really have changed since then, because nowadays, Tesla is still a publicly subsidized three-card monte, but it doesn’t even pretend it’s actually going to make the cars.
the new trend in text message spam is “wrong number” texts, where someone sends you a message that seems like they texted the wrong person with a request or a need of theirs, e.g. to call in sick to work. This plays on most people’s instant sympathy with a stranger facing hardship through no fault of their own and helps the spammer to sidestep the usual suspicion they would face. So personally I would have called this “Ted Bundy texting” but you play ball with the team you have.
didn't read the thread, is it about the Unibomber?
. .
the nascent NFT rental market
in a world of infinite AI-generated content, the proportion of the internet containing valuable information trends to zero

ha ha ha
i remember reading some interview with a google guy about why google search is so much worse than it used to be and he straight up said google search is much better than it was its just the internet is 10^8 x more filled with utter shit, so you're carrying out the equivalent of a SETI search every time you try to find something useful
also i fucking hate the term "AI" and yet i still find myself tricked into using it constantly. its a fucking text generator trained on an overflowing toilet of content