daesh snipe
[account deactivated]
the DoD tried and failed to build the Cuban Headache Beam lmao

so i guess i have to add to my list of weird internal proximate motives for this shit, 3) pretending other countries, ones that don't give their military & security agencies endless money to throw at insane fantasy projects, have somehow secretly surpassed the United $naKKKe$ on the U.S.'s own insane fantasy projects

in this case the propaganda from that Guardian article is literally "the U.S. and its allies are paragons of ethics in scientific testing but China & Russia are full of insect people with no regard for themselves as inferior life forms, so that's how they've secretly perfected the impossible Headache Beam"

lol

:goonsay: but with teh hippiez spitting on our Troops we're doing telepathy spells with one hand tied behind our back! gloves off the X-Men now!!
here's a headline: There is no such thing as "a professor of neurology and ethics"
"Havana syndrome" more like havana couple too many beers and I don't feel like going to work tomorrow and I'm a US diplomat
*CAT-scans a bunch of U.S. imperialists* Holy moly! The people Washington sends to do its psychopathic bidding show signs of accumulated brain damage! Th, this can only mean one thing......Blofeld death-rayed them yesterday!!!!!
the DoD tried to build a portable brain cooker but all that happened when they tested it on the most useless, presidentially-approved test subjects available was to give them headaches
Painting that US effort as a “weapon” as is clearly intended by the comparison to the fake Havana syndrome shit is just hiding the fact that the US proved out in practice using microwaves to beam voices into individuals heads in the 70’s and more recently had a crowd control device that could do it to whole groups that would scare people away by being annoying or painfully loud. I’d assume that they know exactly how to turn such devices into something deadly and have just decided it isn’t a particularly useful weapon to build (or rather keep it secret to secure more funding with their same old ploy of “oh no we’re so far behind, give us more $$$”)
u wat
you can't "beam voices into someone's head" using microwave weapons. they cause clicking and buzzing by dielectric heating of the inner ear, "beaming voices" would require the ability to mold it precisely in three dimensions using remote-targeted microwaves which would instantly kill you by cooking your brain as the beam passed through your skull, if it were even possible with current technology, which it isn't. microwaves aren't psychokinesis dude. that conspiracy theory is EXACTLY what is being exploited here to present a fictional Commie microwave weapon as capable of causing precise low-level brain damage at range. and like no offense but I don't think any politics forum needs a go-to excuse for why posters hearing malevolent voices in their heads ISN'T a sign of mental illness.
Look at it this way: the entire reason why people might hear buzzing in their head from a radar sweep is because "beam" in that sense is not "beam" in the sense of a Star Trek teleporter machine. It's not technology that instantaneously affects some remote locale with nothing happening in between. EM waves pass through everything that doesn't absorb them or reflect them.

Even if there were microwave weapons that could precisely shape the inner ear into intelligible words, you'd need to do it the same way as radiation therapy to treat cancer, by using multiple beams precisely intersecting on a stationary target. When doctors administer radiation therapy they have to literally leave a margin for the movement of your body caused by breathing, that's how precise it needs to be to cause the desired effect on one location in your body—precise only in the sense that it will kill a certain area of tissue and no more. Someone using a fictional microwave super-weapon to "beam" a voice into the heads of a group of people—assuming they somehow managed to keep it from killing the tissue targeted through targeted heating of the fluid inside it—would have to get each person to lie still in an exact spot, different for each person, in relation to a specific array of microwave emitters, with a separate array pre-arranged for each person. If someone shifted slightly to scratch their ass, it would be enough to neutralize the "weapon".

Pigs already have a way to project a voice or other precise sound so loudly that a group has trouble communicating and some of them will want to disperse. That method also often has the secondary effect of discomfort caused to other areas of the body. They do that by sending vibrations through a fluid medium between an amplification device and the targets, that is, by using really loud speakers.
https://www.scribd.com/document/347799286/Microwaves-and-Behavior-1975-pdf

Edited by solidar ()

LOL yeah so that first part is what I just explained about everyone having to be in a precise location to shape the inner ear that way, and that second part is what I just explained about the microwaves from this fictional weapon cooking people's brains before they were able to "beam" an intelligible voice into their heads at range.
I think we can safely conclude that the Cuban Headache Beam doesn't exist because it doesn't exist, not because it secretly exists in a form that's even more radically stupid and impossible.
I don't think you two are really in disagreement here, solidar is pointing out that the US has researched applications of the technology and we can assume at the very least thought about weaponization, because obviously. the severe limitations of how it can be used make it totally inapplicable for any kind of meaningful "voice in your head" and I don't think anyone's seriously considering that, just being aware that when it comes to imaginary mad science they have a good jumping off point to convince themselves of their own fiction.

solidar posted:

the US ... recently had a crowd control device that could do it to whole groups that would scare people away by being annoying or painfully loud

I think we're disagreeing on this part, because it's wrong and the sort of disinfo people on this site should not be spreading around, the idea that police have a crowd-control device that uses sci-fi long-range microwave telepathy to broadcast messages into the heads of "whole groups" instead of just painfully loud amplifiers that they use all the time for that purpose.

This is presumably the entire point of this thread, that some conspiracy theories reflect real conspiracies and some don't, and, because we're materialists, we're equipped with the tools to tell the two apart. Like: microwave weapons are real and have been in development for some time, with well-known effects from well-understood properties of microwaves (discovered in 1888), while the U.S.-government backed conspiracy theory about science-fiction long-range precision-targeted microwave weapons is false, and further exploits paranoia driven through poor understanding by previous conspiracy theorists of what microwave weapons can and can't do and what studies of microwaves do and do not demonstrate to be true.

So, if this thread is going to serve that purpose, we have to actively do that work. We can't just assume that we're right about things just because we're posting them itt.
A. Guy, A.P. Lant, et al., "effects of microwave radiation of tooth fillings and potential telecommunications applications", 1972

cars posted:

solidar posted:

the US ... recently had a crowd control device that could do it to whole groups that would scare people away by being annoying or painfully loud

I think we're disagreeing on this part, because it's wrong and the sort of disinfo people on this site should not be spreading around, the idea that police have a crowd-control device that uses sci-fi long-range microwave telepathy to broadcast messages into the heads of "whole groups" instead of just painfully loud amplifiers that they use all the time for that purpose.

ah. yeah.

cars posted:

So, if this thread is going to serve that purpose, we have to actively do that work. We can't just assume that we're right about things just because we're posting them itt.

I agree, just trying to clarify what I see as the positions in play to avoid talking past each other

Edited by shriekingviolet ()

tempted to abuse admin powers and delete+replace my post to hide the shame of missing the ninja edit
americans don't have a thought beam ray gun, u cant beam thoughts and words into someones head using a sci fi ray gun because that's not how electromagnetic radiation works. i guess what im saying is that "can" preform delicate eye surgery at 100m with a fire hose

cars posted:

This is presumably the entire point of this thread, that some conspiracy theories reflect real conspiracies and some don't, and, because we're materialists, we're equipped with the tools to tell the two apart.

yeah but in light of recent events i would ask that as we continue to pwn each other with facts and logic we do so in a jovial manner. tia

These things aren't without precedent, JFK had his brains scrambled by a kind of long range device wielded by a communist back in the 60s

cars posted:

solidar posted:

I was being fast and loose with my language but my post was no more false than your “lmao the DOD couldn’t make a headache machine”. The fact that they went so far as to build a prototype and then decided to scrub its existence from their pages of the internet does not equate to failing to make something capable of having any effect. Given the other research in the area I would accept them at their word that they had something capable of making noticeable recognizable sounds in localized areas.

cars posted:

This is presumably the entire point of this thread, that some conspiracy theories reflect real conspiracies and some don't, and, because we're materialists, we're equipped with the tools to tell the two apart. Like: microwave weapons are real and have been in development for some time, with well-known effects from well-understood properties of microwaves (discovered in 1888), while the U.S.-government backed conspiracy theory about science-fiction long-range precision-targeted microwave weapons is false, and further exploits paranoia driven through poor understanding by previous conspiracy theorists of what microwave weapons can and can't do and what studies of microwaves do and do not demonstrate to be true.

Okay fair enough but what is your point here? Like you had a half dozen posts that wanted to contribute some “sci-fi” “conspiracy theory” (lol) to what I was saying but you agree that it’s possible and proven to transmit words to someone, that microwave weapons are real and have been studied, that combining the above two would be difficult (maybe impossible) but the main failure points would be damage to the subject. I don’t think pointing to some CNN or whatever the fuck article about how the DOD made a prototype of such a device and then stopped talking about it is really anything like “actively doing the work.” It might give us some confidence that the police don’t have anything like this (not something I at all said) but doesn’t tell us much of what is available or possible in the more secretive areas of the imperialist forces.

I’m posting in the conspiracy theory thread online. Please don’t take my posts as statements of 100% die hard belief. I’m just more interested in entertaining whatever idea I post about in here to pull out whatever is real/possible about it than just going “lol that’s a conspiracy theory”
https://covertactionmagazine.com/2021/09/01/new-evidence-implicates-cia-lapd-fbi-and-mafia-as-plotters-in-elaborate-hit-plan-to-prevent-rfk-from-ever-reaching-white-house/

pogfan1996 posted:

https://covertactionmagazine.com/2021/09/01/new-evidence-implicates-cia-lapd-fbi-and-mafia-as-plotters-in-elaborate-hit-plan-to-prevent-rfk-from-ever-reaching-white-house/

sadly this does not actually include any new evidence, and it leans far too much on claims made by rfk jr. i have always been happy to critically assess information offered by flawed sources but he is completely radioactive

e: to be clear, i'm not saying there's nothing of value in the article or that there was no conspiracy to kill rfk

current version of notepad++ doesn't allow a setting to turn html links neutral so calculate how many of those user clicks are being recorded and logged - i uninstalled today

swampman posted:

every now and then i have wondered where the hell they got the idea of crisis actors from in the first place

do astroturf PR firms give refunds for faulty goods because

[account deactivated]
i'm not usually very into jfk stuff but apparently this book that is coming out soon alleges connections between otto skorzeny, US based stay behind networks and the assassination among other things. might be of interest https://www.amazon.com/Coup-Dallas-Who-Killed-JFK/dp/1510740317
since Afghanistan fell to the Taliban, i've been reading up on the ISI (Pakistani intelligence agency).

and on the one hand they're bad people who do bad things

but on the other hand, check out this fucking sick logo!

Edited by shapes ()

Is that supposed to be a moth in the first horn twist? A helmet in the second?

Never sure where the line for these logos/badges is between “make sure it’s just loaded up with occult symbols” and “skulls, snakes, lightning bolts, hell yeah, looks fucking badass, we’re so cool and hardcore”
that's the box art from metal gear solid 3
whenever there's an obvious limited hangout it's fun to try and work out what exactly they're trying to achieve with it https://news.yahoo.com/kidnapping-assassination-and-a-london-shoot-out-inside-the-ci-as-secret-war-plans-against-wiki-leaks-090057786.html