Counter point: the Inquisition is a peasant revolution confiscating the aristocracy's land for the common good.
Also belated Snipe
they were a group of super-best friends playing in their superbest friends club, which they are very keen to tell you is fricking awesome, stealing elven land in a single player MMO
Decolonize dragon age.

tears posted:

remember Daragon age inquisition where you went around and planted a reskinned roman flag on every forest and hill and village and it popped with the "your a good dog" sound and said "land/resource claimed 4 the inquisition"

no but only because i played the first ten minutes of that game and it annoyed me so much i never went back to it

Dragon Age Inquisition was one of the things that started me wondering about why exactly what's considered "good" video game writing, by both critical & popular consensus, is SO much worse than what's considered "good" writing for TV or cinema, because it had been talked up to me constantly as a game with a well-written script. and i turn it on and it's like joss whedon's Lord of the Rings tonight on CW, like... aggressively mediocre in a way that's almost a statement in and of itself. A statement to turn the darn game off!!
mario games have better writing than bioware games imo
disco elysium is alright but thats basically a visual novel anyway
the Gamecube mario role playing game literally did have better writing than any and every BioWare rpg yeah.
my sister is deeply obsessed with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and pretending to have a fictional illness called “chronic fatigue syndrome”, and as such is a delight to have a conversation with
Wow 3 mental illnesses at once

kornfan posted:

my sister is deeply obsessed with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and pretending to have a fictional illness called “chronic fatigue syndrome”, and as such is a delight to have a conversation with

chronic fatigue syndrome is real, fortunately the same cannot be said for video games, for which the evidence is spurious and inconclusive

kornfan i sympathize but the worst thing id say about chronic fatigue syndrome is that it was used as a stand-in diagnosis for chronic depression by doctors who cared about their patients back when a chronic depression diagnosis was still seen as a sound reason to have people involuntarily committed. and nowadays if you can convince an employer or a U.S. welfare bureau you have it then i endorse that even if it’s a con. but it’s no excuse for liking mass effect’s script so you do keep the moral high ground.

Populares posted:

marx will literally do this instead of going to therapy

dismissal of chronic fatigue syndrome a good example of patriarchal medicine - an immediate move psychologise a disease where a cause does not easily present itself and the sick are primarily women
a friend of mine has chronic fatigue or something like it and it's seriously debilitating
you’re all right of course. I wish she wasn’t so relentlessly negative and resistant to trying new things (including new non-BioWare video games)—the road to recovery, such as there is one, is paved with persistence and pacing oneself 😔 sorry for posting ableist joke

— Da Self-Critter

kornfan posted:

“chronic fatigue syndrome”

videogames are tiresome so

it's not enough to reverse the status of cfs from "psychological" to "real" for reasons that i expect are obvious. cfs is: real, debilitating, and curable only through psychological intervention. that cfs is curable (and not just treatable) through psychological intervention and not chemical medicine is an empirical fact. i get the sense that this is not known here. there is no medical cure for cfs, but there is a psychological cure that is understood biologically. liberal science, through its fringe, garbed in its usual orientalism, has managed, while struggling to sustain a mockery of freud and really preferring not to mention him at all, to rediscover this cure. meanwhile, anti-psychiatry hit its limits.
Understanding illness and health as a chemical-biological function is a form of liberalism, as is the illness/healthy dichotomy
Videogame Thread 2021 + UNREALTOURNAMENTWARRIOR Daigongen (大権現) Shrine

pogfan1996 posted:

Understanding illness and health as a chemical-biological function is a form of liberalism,

what does this even mean?

nearlyoctober posted:

i get the sense that this is not known here.

actually we are understood to be aware of it

cars posted:

Videogame Thread 2021 + UNREALTOURNAMENTWARRIOR Daigongen (大権現) Shrine

Frances M. "Fran" Fragos Townsend (born December 28, 1961) is the former Homeland Security Advisor to United States President George W. Bush from 2004 to 2007, and is currently executive vice president for corporate affairs at Activision Blizzard. She previously served as Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism. In 2008, Townsend joined CNN as a contributor, but later switched over to CBS where she was a national security analyst for them. Townsend was president of the Counter Extremism Project.

more to the subject of the thread my sister also regularly works her fellow radlib Mass Effect fans into frothing fits of rage by pointing out the bird-alien everyone’s horny for is a loose-cannon cop. (the player character is also a loose-cannon cop, troops-style, but baby steps.)
want to try out hell let loose but it s too expensive thanks currency crisis
in mass effect 2, as far as i recall, you play commander shepard, americas #1 army person, after being rebuilt by the continuity 3rd reich who fished your dead body from spaceland. you now work for spacehitler and are given a copy of your ship, staffed with dopplegangers imitating your old crew but with a much higher amount of ass and an enthusiasm for the waffen-ss or something. anyway, your misgivings are quickly assured because even though u are alive it turns out that the army dont even respect u as an amerian veteran and this means you are left with little choice but to to embrace your inner hitler. im sure somethign else happens after this - aliens or some shit.
Mass Effect is a game series where the cowardly civilians say “if only someone completely amoral could do the correct genocides” and then the brave, strong troops say, “I will do the correct genocides.”

kornfan posted:

Mass Effect is a game series where the cowardly civilians say “if only someone completely amoral could do the correct genocides” and then the brave, strong troops say, “I will do the correct genocides.”

sounds like its the call of duty of video games

i got that disco elysium after all. haven't played much yet but it's pretty charming (or at least it is now i turned the narrator voice off). reminds me of an old lucasarts point and click adventure game more than anything.

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

i got that disco elysium after all. haven't played much yet but it's pretty charming (or at least it is now i turned the narrator voice off). reminds me of an old lucasarts point and click adventure game more than anything.

won't spoil the ending but it does some amazing things with male loneliness/alienation/sexual frustration, so much so that i have a very "art as saviour" liberal idea that if only sad incels played the game they might not murder women or whatever. just a fleeting bit of liberalism. sorry about it

Got another incel cure idea, it involves lead
i don't remember hearing news stories about a video game that shoots people
i’m playing a video game.

tears posted:

in mass effect 2, as far as i recall, you play commander shepard, americas #1 army person, after being rebuilt by the continuity 3rd reich who fished your dead body from spaceland. you now work for spacehitler and are given a copy of your ship, staffed with dopplegangers imitating your old crew but with a much higher amount of ass and an enthusiasm for the waffen-ss or something. anyway, your misgivings are quickly assured because even though u are alive it turns out that the army dont even respect u as an amerian veteran and this means you are left with little choice but to to embrace your inner hitler. im sure somethign else happens after this - aliens or some shit.

yeah it was pretty funny how like a third of the optional side missions in the first game was you hunting down and destroying this ultra-xenophobe dead-end KKK militia movement. then in the second game it turns out the KKK is run by a secret central Democrat Party Klavern that both rules and hates all the other KKK members. in the DemoKKKrat hub they, Actually, accept all races and want to save the galaxy and have the budget of the entire United States Planet Earth Air Force, which is convenient because it meant BioWare could just use all the same assets. which raises the question of why that's even the premise of the second game, a question the game and series never answer because the real answer is just a horrible greasy Canadian nerd doing a Heil Hitler salute at a bookshelf full of Robert Heinlein under a Barack Obama HOPE poster.

if someone has never played Mass Effect 2 it is almost impossible to explain to them how quickly the story raises and dismisses the fact that you're working for the KKK and they're officially the good guys now, because it's so stupid and so stupidly handled that it seems like that would never make it past the planning stage. It's the whole BioWare conversation-wheel thing but elevated to the level of parody. Like... better get in that snide comment now about how you're a literal Klansman after killing hundreds of them last week, because in five minutes you go to work for the Grand Wizard, Wait why? Because he built you an exact 1:1 copy of the gigantic battleship you used to captain that's why.
We must secure a future for yumanity, and yuman children.
if my last couple posts make no sense then I've succeeded in presenting the topic accurately

Populares posted:

We must secure a future for yumanity, and yuman children.

Thinking of the post where i referred to Edmonton as 'Gay Houston'