no wonder you guys got the vaccine and i still havent
The chef gets the first taste
i got "nature's vaccine" last month (the novel corona virus 2019)

lenochodek posted:

i got "nature's vaccine" last month (the novel corona virus 2019)

condolences... and Congratulations

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2021-02-23/held-to-ransom-pfizer-demands-governments-gamble-with-state-assets-to-secure-vaccine-deal

shriekingviolet posted:

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2021-02-23/held-to-ransom-pfizer-demands-governments-gamble-with-state-assets-to-secure-vaccine-deal

Officials from Argentina and the other Latin American country, which cannot be named as it has signed a confidentiality agreement with Pfizer,

[account deactivated]
i have some bad news with regards to which people public alcohol consumption laws are used to harass and which get totally ignored by the cops and keep drinking anyways my dude :/
covid update: the local church whose sign read "god help us" for the last year has been changed, it now says "god helped us"

招瑤 posted:

covid update: the local church whose sign read "god help us" for the last year has been changed, it now says "god helped us"

That’s a damning condemnation of an omniscient all powerful deity

[account deactivated]

liceo posted:

or rather i'll come back as a neon green tape worm and search the ground for mineral salts for the entirety of my meager one week life

hell,

federal coronavirus related unemployment benefits will be discontinued in my state in a few weeks because instead of contributing to society, our lazy population would rather sit on their ass for the extra $300 a week, which is more than double the maximum unemployment benefit offered by the state alone

to help these loafers, these despicable parasites, the state has posted over a quarter million job opportunities on its website, jobs that have gone woefully unfilled of late

3% of the jobs posted on the state jobs website pay over $20k/yr
lol some of the higher paying jobs (top 3+%) on offer include a seasonal position harvesting tobacco for 11 bucks an hour
oh geez lol now state legislators are threatening to dissolve the state health department because it put out ads notifying the public that kids 12+ can get vaccines now & sent letters to clinics reminding them that kids 14+ can ask for and receive vaccinations without parental approval
Reminder to Amerikans: Your Government Wants You to Die

招瑤 posted:

oh geez lol now state legislators are threatening to dissolve the state health department because it put out ads notifying the public that kids 12+ can get vaccines now & sent letters to clinics reminding them that kids 14+ can ask for and receive vaccinations without parental approval

this reminds me of the time my dog barked at the mailman so i shot my dog and the mailman

goon's grats to every single United State

U S A

speaking of which, the $naKKKe$ didn't win one gold silver or bronze on the first day of the olympics which hasnt happened since 1972... losers
working on a hunch i was able to find an event advertisement for
"St, Cloud Eagles Women’s Axillary Flea Market"
which provided a moment of levity

according to my armpit im running a nice fever
is this thing still going on
[account deactivated]
Joe Biden defeated Rona now he’s coming after Moscow Mitch!!! DNC now stands for Do Not Care about rethuglican FEELINGS! We got:
🔹 Unemployment down
🔹Soldiers and Airpeople out of Afghanistan
🔹Vaccines for those who want them
🔹Cuba Libre movement going strong
🔹Paris Climate Agreement
🔹$1400 stimulus checks
🔹Schools are BACK in person
🔹Most diverse Cabinet
🔹Canceled student debt
Airpeople

here's why, that's a metric fuckton of deer that have the rona that i didn't know about until now
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the unparalleled surveillance measures the own-gravediggers are on the verge of enacting will, once seized, be a powerful tool in the hands of the dictatorship of the proletariat
as things are going ,the only surveillance likely to debut in my area will be a network of snitches reporting primary school teachers for telling kids to wear masks
[account deactivated]
QR code check-in systems at retail stores and other public venues are hardly worth getting worked up about when 85% of adults already have a smartphone tracking their movements constantly.
[account deactivated]

liceo posted:

how is it the case that we are on the verge of entering a time of unparalleled surveillance measures (which will probably be more severe than the fucking patriot act) and this has not been much of a topic on the rhizzone dot net?

Les citoyens de la République rhizzonique were predicting that back on page 5 if that makes you feel better. Like a year and a half ago almost. I'd make my usual joke about how we had time to kill enough people to prevent the future we collectively predicted, but this, too, has been arrogated by the Great Satan.

liceo posted:

that was just one example. is nobody genuinely curious about how the imperialist counties are going to use this to their advantage?

am I the only one who

i'm just funning you bro but like... yes we've been talking about that & if you want to add to that conversation everyone will probably receive it well. Blessed be and low prices.
Cars predicted this 3 years ago in a cryptic paragraph in the conspiracy thread
one story that seems to have disappeared from the English-language press, but was all over it back when virus-conspiracy Sinophobia was officially Bad Trump Racism, is how Beijing and Taipei both succeeded at reversing trends in rates of SARS-CoV-2 infection and keeping overall infections and deaths low. In both cases, this was done through direct and personalized intervention to discover cases and isolate them for treatment. But the way that was carried out was substantially different from top to bottom.

PRC intervened in large part through mobilizing the equivalent of civil-defense block captains, locals keeping tabs on people who lived around them. There was some high-tech contact tracing done, but the rest happened mostly through low-tech and low-cost integration with education, testing and treatment programs. Large sunk costs went instead into e.g. building and staffing hospitals or repurposing public accommodations where those testing positive were quarantined. It kind of goes without saying that people within PRC trusted the government to keep them out of poverty during an epidemic, but Beijing's effort otherwise was largely dedicated to the idea of a favorable ratio of doctors, nurses, public health officers, law enforcement, etc., to patients early on. The idea is pretty simple: if you have a relatively large number of people engaged in testing and treatment per likely patient before the disease spreads, then you'll end up with fewer patients later. It's easier said than done of course.

Taipei, on the other hand, intervened through the sort of means that most people in the West would expect from scare stories about Beijing. They spun up a comprehensive high-tech surveillance effort using not just geolocation but digital fencing, where patients quarantined were actively tracked by their cell phones as a means of enforcement. If your battery ran out, the cops would show up looking for an explanation. Taipei also used a much bigger stick than carrot, with stipends for those in quarantine literally about 1/1000th of the amount they'd be fined if they broke it.

This stuff will probably not come as a big surprise to most people on this forum. It also won't surprise how the U.S./UK media covered this stuff openly and eagerly for about a year, albeit with its usual moderate Sinophobic slant—interspersing scare stories and dubious accusations of doctored statistics with articles trying to explain how PRC had (perplexingly to the reader, they seemed to assume) turned around both infection rates and deaths for a disease presumed to have originated in China. That was how it was covered until Trump lost, the CIA and their buddies in allied countries started jabbing elbows into everyone's sides and the White House kicked off its "sprint" to take epidemiology out of the hands of epidemiologists and put it in the hands of the extralegal "intelligence community". Again, maybe not terribly surprising to a lot of you.

But if new variants of the virus, or some future equivalent, lead to some sort of radical intervention policy in Western countries, really only one of the two above models is feasible for most of those countries. Taipei is also the propagandistically kosher "success story", a factor in public health policy that has honestly surprised even me lately in how it's warped the presentation of information and policy recommendations from groups like the World Health Organization. So there could very well be a lot of praise forthcoming for the "Taiwanese model", that is, the "not-China model".

But BUT, and I know this is a little weird coming from me... I think the normal sort of opportunism for yet more "total information awareness" than already exists would appear here if things get substantially worse again with new variants... but it's likely to follow practical lines to preserve what may become, or may already have become, a substantial upset in predictions of labor as a proportion of GDP for various countries in the next 50 years. This is in part a function of the average age of a worker in a country and what guides a lot of NATO-gang decisions on whether or not to "intervene" in the invasion sense of the word, in my opinion. (Iran, for instance, was looking very good on that measure for many years before all this, which is IMO likely one big fat reason it hasn't been subject to the usual "operation destabilization".) It's big, BIG business in long-term forecasting, this one weird ratio and where countries end up when it's ranked. And I don't think anyone quite knows yet how the global plague is going to shake all that stuff up around the world.

But that concern does not involve the U.S. population as a labor force, obviously, because it cannot possibly provide the bourgeoisie with the necessary labor in the coming years—to the extent that it's a publicly discussed crisis. Everyone knows the top-heavy age demographics in the U.S. workforce. Everyone knows how it's wrecking federal income taxes vs. spending.

Further, in the current crisis, the U.S. has proven how extremely poorly equipped it is to deal with a genuine pandemic, its current system of parties and block-funded federalism resulting in the political interests of relatively small-time booj-party elected officials overwhelming the sort of ALEC-facilitated smooth cross-state operations that usually prevent, say, one state from instituting a substantially different regime for regulating a given industry. All of that is in spite of a gigantic system of surveillance and intelligence, the largest and most expensive in the history of the world. Knowledge gathered through digital surveillance, especially, is proving to be almost useless, because no one can herd enough cats to use it. Again, this may sound like I've been replaced by a pod person or something given my usual attitude, but I think domestic-surveillance opportunism by U.S. agencies right now faces few extra opportunities to exploit beyond what's already existed for the last year, at least until some sort of state of emergency takes far more than just evictions out of the hands of the states and their creations.

Not that this sort of surveillance won't still happen. It'll probably happen in a gruesome fashion and be used in an even worse one, with many horrifying details we can only imagine until they're uncovered later, per the usual since I was a kid at the VERY latest. But I'm not sure it's likely to INCREASE much in the current climate. I think what may end up as a bigger problem is something people have called out here repeatedly, where the intelligence and security agencies of the U.S. and its allies use public health programs in the "developing world" as clumsy means to maintain and secure their positions, and fuck it up or gloat over their success like they did when the U.S. military invaded Pakistan to assassinate bin Laden, and people in those countries, reasonably enough, begin to see every doctor and nurse as a scouting party for United $naKKKe$ aerial death squads.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]