I will never marry a troll.
"you may now kiss the bride"

*bride pulls out an epic le troll face mask*

i dropped out of college years ago due to mental illness, but recently audited a seminar which makes me want to go back, considering it was fun and i performed adequately. even if i don't go back, the experience helped with my intellectual confidence.

on top of that, the few close irl relationships i have are going well, and a good friend is going to be spending time in my neck of the woods the rest of the summer

also i'm drunk 😎

dave status: good
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Big if true
If the specific food molecules that this machine produces don't include alcohol I'm joining the White Guards
on top of all that, toyo drove 3 hours on a moment's notice to come pick my ass up (after getting fired on the weed farm) and let me stay at his dad's place for a day while i got my shit together - a true rad
[account deactivated]
hi toyot

toyot posted:

ok, back to work, goodbye again!

sounds like an intruiging project, actually it reminds me once again of this book i read by the ukkk's #1 pol potist malcolm caldwell "the wealth of some nations". a major part of the book is about food systems and their resource inputs, he also introduces a cool concept called protein imperialism where there is a sort of warped exchange taking place where rich nations sell protein incomplete calories like grain in exchange for high quality protein rich food (such as fish meal) from poorer nations. he shows that in industrial agriculture for western consumers energy returns are actually far lower than one, i.e. much more energy is put in than is taken out and also showing that a significant amount of fossil energy at the time the book was written gets burnt in the context of food production, which also poses an entropic issue. All this to say that a truly sustainable (from the energy and resource pov) machine to make macro and micro nutrients is probably some contemporary version of something that will quite look like a pre-industrial agricultural practice.
anyway, regarding your idea, i have the objection that converting sun energy into a macro and micro nutritionally complete mixture is chemically very hard, and if not using and ensemble of plants, or at least some kind of organism, is probably not viable at all. For example, synthesizing all 20 amino acids from the ground up using small building blocks is hard and not possible to do with significant work, byproducts and energy inputs. Actually if you would find a simple way to do that you could probably publish it as an alt-Miller-Urey type origin of life candidate system. however, i agree it would be cool if people could photosynthesize with less middlemen than having to eat plants.

anyway, i really recommend to skim the pdf of that book because some of the question posed in there are close to the one you are trying to address.

i don't know shit about chemistry but i'm team crazy wizard toyot
some friends were brutally mugged, one of them beaten so bad they're going to be in a wheelchair for their wedding. i'm not feeling great about it!!!
im sorry. that sucks.
that's terrible, may they recover well
damn :(
is the longer-term prognosis good? full recoveries all around, i hope!
well, that was quick, i got a goddam job today

Constantignoble posted:

is the longer-term prognosis good? full recoveries all around, i hope!

multiple broken bones need to heal so we'll see, but ideally there will be minimal long term complications. thanks folks, the whole thing really took me off guard.

goondolences to your friend sv, hope they recover fully
ive been ok
Hope they get well soon man, a friend of mine some people tried to mug him and grab his bag but he pulled back and kept his bag and went tumbling off a bridge into the Seine. He didn't break anything luckily but he was sore for days. Like a week after supposedly the same people who had tried to get him stabbed three people. So it might have been lucky that he did fall.

karphead posted:

goongrats

cars posted:

karphead posted:

goongrats

and goondolences

[account deactivated]

karphead posted:

on top of all that, toyo drove 3 hours on a moment's notice to come pick my ass up (after getting fired on the weed farm) and let me stay at his dad's place for a day while i got my shit together - a true rad

toyot told me where to visit when i went to the redwood national park area and i took every suggestion and it absolutely owned.

also the machine sounds like alchemy for communists?

[account deactivated]
they might give some of the courses away in the hopes that you'll pay for a piece of paper from them as a certification later. or if you're MIT you're swimming scrooge mcduck style through piles of amerikkkan bloodsoaked defen$e dollar$ to the point where you don't even care if people can watch gilbert strange teach linear algebra for free or not.
love it when doctors parade assistants by you bc you've got an unusual condition they best ought to see while they have the chance

招瑤 posted:

love it when doctors parade assistants by you bc you've got an unusual condition they best ought to see while they have the chance

I'm somewhat of a medical marvel myself... I try to just appreciate the attention. It's neat to get fussed over by highly trained professionals

liceo posted:

what else is it? the combination of every university in North Amerika combining to form a singular YouTube University wherein every graduate gets to choose between a rare NFT artwork or a VR headset to watch virtual sunrises after the world melts instead of a diploma?

i think its a good question actually and my immediate suspicion would be that this kind of general transition to broadening the market ('democratizing education') is the most logical explanation, but more in the sense that there were already many compelling practical reasons to document lectures and have them available online (higher education becoming increasingly non-commital and being something you do 'on the side' for one), and it lowered the threshhold for making things available in a sense.

this still isn't really a satisfying explanation, in part because the textbook market and the attitude universities have towards other instances of maintaining proprietary rights to intellectual property make it obvious that they are a) not interested in even the propagandistic veneer of free information, and b) still actively and brutally committed to restricting the availability of information. maybe it just reveals how indifferent universities are to the actual education aspect of their operation, since they're happy to let students sit in on classes but will have some wannabe cop threaten to taze you if you sneak into a football game.

the most banal and plausible explanation might just be the combination of this lowered bar with the pressure to maintain a 'social media presence', with the transition from guest lectures videos to regular lecture videos just being natural enough to be arrived at by multiple institutions, but it definitely seems incomplete

stegosaurus posted:

they might give some of the courses away in the hopes that you'll pay for a piece of paper from them as a certification later. or if you're MIT you're swimming scrooge mcduck style through piles of amerikkkan bloodsoaked defen$e dollar$ to the point where you don't even care if people can watch gilbert strange teach linear algebra for free or not.

Imo its an acknowledgment that the primary function of the university isnt education. Its bestowing credentials and networking. This is actually how these programs are talked about by the universities themselves. Anyone can watch an MIT lecture but only MIT students are Smart® enough to get an MIT education out of it, meaning, employers have an assurance that anyone who actually went thru MIT have been carefully curated to be the Best and Brightest, and the job of the university is to match those people with employers (either in industry or in academia). Basically all the people running the university admins think this way.

it s actually a globalist ploy to deskill the jobs of honest hardworking middle class americans, hth

c_man posted:

stegosaurus posted:

Imo its an acknowledgment that the primary function of the university isnt education. Its bestowing credentials and networking. This is actually how these programs are talked about by the universities themselves. Anyone can watch an MIT lecture but only MIT students are Smart® enough to get an MIT education out of it, meaning, employers have an assurance that anyone who actually went thru MIT have been carefully curated to be the Best and Brightest, and the job of the university is to match those people with employers (either in industry or in academia). Basically all the people running the university admins think this way.

This!!! ThHis!

They're giving away the knowledge for free but not the credential, and good luck monetizing knowing stuff if you can't brandish a fancy diploma to back it up

so in other words it launders their reputation without costing them anything
how did any of you idiots get past the 7th grade without realizing how shit the amerikkkan education system is
Well, it's not very hard to get past the 7th grade actually.
i got straight F's
goddam did i hate school

karphead posted:

i got straight F's

presses F to pay respects