Torkil Lauesen is speaking this weekend

The time for new global organizations to confront global capitalism?
May 22 @ 15:30 -16:30 (Eastern)
In English
Zoom : https://zoom.us/j/92339561019
[account deactivated]

Overall the panel was real bad, Torkil's bit starts at just before 35 minutes. In the Q&A Torkil advocates for the universality of protracted people's war and says that the first world needs to look at anti-Vietnam resistance struggles within the core as examples of how to make a positive impact on liberation struggles in the periphery.

Edited by pogfan1996 ()

pogfan1996 posted:

says that the first world needs to look at anti-Vietnam resistance struggles within the core as examples of how to make a positive impact on liberation struggles in the periphery.

having looked Very Carefully at the history of anti-Vietnam resistance struggles within the core I must assume he means examples of what not to do... right?

Based on his history I think he is recommending direct action to hurt the imperial war machine and not making flower headbands

pogfan1996 posted:

Based on his history I think he is recommending direct action to hurt the imperial war machine and not making flower headbands

What I meant was, having looked at how poorly leftist direct action groups and deserter soldier organizations performed in the west, even with the advantages of support from the soviet union, diplomatic safe harbor in sweden and elsewhere, etc, my impression of them is not very good. There were some truly excellent examples of organizing in that era creating a pipeline to impede the war machine by diverting and sabotaging recruitment, like antiwar organizers in Japan that took enormous risks to encourage desertion and smuggle soldiers away before they even reached southeast Asia, but I guess I don't really consider that part of the imperial core during the time period? I'm definitely interested in counterexamples of effective organizing from the west in the era, I'm not claiming expertise here. My initial reaction was just some dissonance because the orgs I have read about in that period were unfortunately pretty clownish. And I'm not even blaming them, because they were absolutely targeted by extremely aggressive cointelpro sabotage, but I just don't see their unfortunate political trajectories as good examples to follow.

I guess I should watch it for myself because I assume he gives concrete examples that I'd appreciate, instead of leaning on my own vague impressions.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

pogfan1996 posted:

Overall the panel was real bad, Torkil's bit starts at just before 35 minutes. In the Q&A Torkil advocates for the universality of protracted people's war and says that the first world needs to look at anti-Vietnam resistance struggles within the core as examples of how to make a positive impact on liberation struggles in the periphery.

Someone at King 5 read settlers apparently, though it still molly coddles the settlers.
Watching Macron get slapped

[account deactivated]

liceo posted:

Funniest interview ever featuring classic hits like “do you have a soul” and “are you a killer” and “Mr Putin that’s what we call whataboutism”

Here’s the transcript:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/65861

My favorite parts:

Keir Simmons: Yeah. You are a religious man. President Biden is saying he told you to your face, ”You don't have a soul.“ (Laughter.)

Vladimir Putin: I do not remember this. ”Something is wrong with my memory.“

Keir Simmons: He says it was about 10 years ago when he was vice president.

Vladimir Putin: Well, he probably has good memory. I do not rule this out, but I don't remember this.

Vladimir Putin: Some defence. During the USSR era, Gorbachev, who is still, thank God, with us, got a promise, a verbal promise that there would be no NATO expansion to the east. Where is that…

Keir Simmons: Where is that…

Vladimir Putin: …promise? Two ways of expansion.

Keir Simmons: Where is that written down? Where is that promise written down?

Vladimir Putin: Right, right. Well done. Correct. You’ve got a point. Got you good. Well, congratulations.

Keir Simmons: Moving on, the Biden administration has said that at your summit they will bring up the case of two US prisoners in Russia, Paul Whelan and Trevor Reed. They are two former Marines. Trevor Reed is suffering from COVID in prison. Why don't you release them ahead of the summit? Wouldn't that show goodwill?

Vladimir Putin: I know that we have certain US citizens who are in prison, have been convicted, found guilty. But if one considers the number of Russian Federation citizens who are in US prisons, then these numbers don't even compare. They cannot be compared. The United States has made a habit in the last few years of catching Russian Federation citizens in third countries and take them to back to the US in violation of all international legal norms and put them in prison.

Keir Simmons: It’s just that there's a limited amount of time, Mr President. Unless we can have more time, I'd be very happy to have to keep going for another 30 minutes.

Vladimir Putin: I determine the time here, so don't worry about time. Your guy, the Marine, he's just a drunk and a troublemaker. As they say here, he got himself shitfaced and started a fight. Among other things, he hit a cop. It's nothing. It's just a common crime. There is nothing to it.

As far as possible negotiations on the subject, sure it can be talked about. Obviously we'll raise the matter of our citizens who are in prison in the US. Yes, it can be a specific conversation. Sure. We're happy to do it although it doesn't seem that the US administration has raised that matter. But we're prepared to do that.

Our pilot Yaroshenko has been in prison in the US for a good, I don't know how many years, 15, maybe 20 years. And there also the problem seems to be a common crime. We could and should talk about it. We haven't been talking about this, but we could. If the US side is prepared to discuss it, so are we.

Keir Simmons: So his family will find that incredibly distressing to hear you talk about him that way. It does sound though as if you would consider some kind of a prisoner swap.

Vladimir Putin: There is nothing offensive about it. He got drunk on vodka and started a fight. He fought a cop. There is nothing offensive about it. These things happen in life. There is nothing horrible about it. It happens to our men as well. Somebody gulps down some vodka and starts a fight. So you violate the law, you go to prison. What would have happened if he'd fought a cop, if he'd hit a cop in your country? He would have been shot dead on that spot, and that’s the end of it. Isn't that the case?

looking at an Empire Magazine list of 50 Worst Movies Ever linked from a more recent article someone sent me and thinking about how all of these lists could just be replaced by a single sentence stating the year the list was published, 2010 in this case. I saw Year One in the theater. It was... mediocre? Forgettable, I guess. The circumstances that made a group of voters denounce it as one of the 50 worst movies ever made cannot be recreated by science. Number 37 on this list of movies infamous throughout all of cinematic history up to the year AD 2010, movies that we all know and despise for being the worst things ever put on a screen, is the Max Payne movie, apparently released to theaters in 2008 and apparently starring Mark Wahlberg. If someone had brought this movie up in conversation with me before I read this article they would not even have been able to convince me it had ever existed.
the fifty million worst movies ever made
I’ll make the website
I am watching a Vice documentary about the dead 90s lady wrestler Chyna. It is the most truthful piece of journalism Vice has ever put together.
i watched some netflix, fucking terrible, gross, watched enough to see the over-arching horror plot set in the culture industry cinematic universe but im not going to read the wiki
My wife is watching some show on Netflix but not enjoying it because it has Michael Rapaport, telling me that he is a bigot who doxxed somebody but I did a Google search and all that came up was stories about Kevin Durant calling Rapaport a 'pasty cum guzzler'
i ve been hating michael rapaport with passion since the first time i saw him, which was while watching "boston legal" as a teenager. probably the most repulsive actor ever, followed by mark ruffalo
[account deactivated]

I made a lib post I'm sorry! Gonna watch that Torkil Lauesen stuff

Edited by Themselves ()

[account deactivated]
Come And See is a fine motion picture, the first time i watched though it started playing with the awful english dub and had to change it, 10 out of 10 movie, a superb example of late soviet picaresque cinema
[account deactivated]
i tried to watch something called invincible which is about what if superman was j johna jameson and secretly a hitler or something. after ten minutes of his son being bad at girls i decided it was fake and gay
robin of sherwood! very good. robin hood escapes a hair metal music video dungeon and then the horned god tells him to be a maoist. someone tries to catch him by running an archery competition and arresting whoever wins. robin hood wins and then escapes being arrested by shooting all of the cops to death with his big bow. then later he stabs a satanist in a different hair metal music video dungeon. ten thumbs up
[account deactivated]
another satisfied customer

found pleasant youtube channel of a german guy building contraptions in the woods

[account deactivated]