I remember being a little pro-war shithead at the time and one day I got into an argument with one of my stoner friends who was reflexively anti-war. I was also an insufferable nerd so I had all these sophisticated arguments about why it was good, and he didn't care at all. One moment in particular stands out in my memory: I cited an article saying that Iraq had missiles that could travel a few hundred miles further than allowed under some treaty or another. All he said was "that sucks dude". For some reason it shook me to my core. I can only aspire to that level of moral clarity. Hope he's doing well.

May Amerikkka not survive to see the 19th anniversary.
I was Iraq in high school model UN when the war started. To the people of Iraq, I give my deepest regrets at failing to protect you.
that sucks dude

when the weird New-Year's-Eve cable news countdown to the bombs came on TV, every single news channel did one, I stopped making out to say "This is pretty fucked up" or something like that & we talked about how the White House had told the UN inspectors to get out before they announced they didn't find anything and spoiled the party. I was an anarchist so later I gave a speech & we marched into the streets and the local cops showed up. they were vastly outnumbered and people were throwing things, this was while city departments were still in the process of militarizing so instead of trying to fight back, the oinkers made what appeared to be a quota of arrests of random non-whites in the crowd then left. They arrested a harmless hippie guy who'd read an anti-war poem. but his dad was some well-known artist so they fucked up and there was a huge backlash from the rest of the town bigwigs who were trying to leverage the local art scene to gentrify downtown, oops. So they had to let everyone go and no one got charged with anything.
Scott Ritter is still funny to me, one of those real-life things that seem like an overwrought British anti-war comedy. where the stuffy nerd with the tie in charge of the reason for the war is like, Well no, there's nothing here, and you put me in charge of that so I'm literally the one guy who would know according to BwARRPBWARPBWABWARP and he's drowned out by a passing parade of grotesquely obese ham-colored slugs in flag overalls
I'm scared of all the same prewar consensus building propaganda stuff happening right now wrt China.
Because, let's be honest, since we're all friends here: what we're dealing with, this amerikkkan empire, it's an empire of fucking morons, yeah? And they get away with this shit time and time again by attacking targets peripheral to their actual antagonists, culminating most recently in a decade-long campaign to achieve nobody-is-anymore-precisely-certain-what in Syria, and now they just seem completely rudderless, playing all the usual tricks but against China now in earnest, not because they even have a plan, it just seems like they don't know what else to do and all these campaigns they've started - screeching about the South China Sea, about an imminent 'invasion' of Taiwan, about Nazi-Germany-on-steroids happening in Xinjiang, and now about creating covid in a lab - they all have their own momentum and keep snowballing as the think tank grifters shout louder and louder on TV for their supper. It's fucking terrifying because god knows real big serious conflicts have been started by much less. Well, time to go back to distracting myself with video games.
feeling very seen tonight as the KKKommonwealth posting sektor votes up my post about a type of British movie
In middle school, I burned my friend a CD mix with Darkest Hour's The Sadist Nation (lol) on it and gave it to him at lunch with a piece of paper listing all the bands and songs. Some lady walking around the cafeteria saw us with the CD and read the paper, taking issue with the titles, specifically the word “sadist.” To egg her on, my friend, even though he knew, asked, "What's a sadist?" and she said something like, "Someone who hurts other people." Knowing the song's lyrics, I said, "Like America in Iraq?" The lady got pissed and babbled some 2003 "we're the good guys" type shit. She ended up sending me to a counselor, who was just like, "Oh, my son listens to this kind of music. You seem like a nice kid. Here's your CD back." The lady from the cafeteria was Latina and the counselor was white. Go figure. Haha.
[account deactivated]
sure but what's the one country you know is immoral and crazy enough to just fire off its entire nuclear arsenal when it realises it's about to lose

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

sure but what's the one country you know is immoral and crazy enough to just fire off its entire nuclear arsenal when it realises it's about to lose

israel?

[account deactivated]
thinking abt how we lined up like 100k dudes right across the border from iraq & when the appointed time arrived they just hit the gas & drove in
pretend i flooded the forum with parody threads like The Iraq War Turns 18 Today, And We Couldn't Eat Chowder

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

招瑤 posted:

thinking abt how we lined up like 100k dudes right across the border from iraq & when the appointed time arrived they just hit the gas & drove in

And they all got free Burger King or Pizza Hut or whatever it was the day before as a treat, lol

[account deactivated]

招瑤 posted:

isis?

sovnarkoman posted:

*banevoice* yes, the cracker isis

I estimate I have thought about that post an average of once every three weeks for the last year