sovnarkoman posted:

https://deadline.com/video/adam-curtis-bbc-cant-get-you-out-of-my-head/looking forward to adam curtis releasing the same documentary for the 50th time

Hypernormalisation was trash but I'll still watch this, mentally compose a series of searing takedowns, and never post them

strap in petrol

oh boy
watching weirdo russian political pundits on youtube with the automated subtitles on

[account deactivated]
Still waiting for it to appear on my plex server. Really looking forward to it now, thanks. He should be banned from talking about russia though
[account deactivated]
semi-related, i find the chinese system of internal migration very curious. i can appreciate the reasons for it but the effect is essentially the entrenchment of intergenerational (dis)advantage. oh well
if anyone knows how I can watch this, lemme know. thanks

http://colourfield.de/en/films/russia-from-above-kinofilm/

burritostan posted:

if anyone knows how I can watch this, lemme know. thanks

http://colourfield.de/en/films/russia-from-above-kinofilm/

looks like you'll need to be in an aircraft above russia!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1gqxvobAbAwKB?t=1s

Chinese docu about how they lifted people out of poverty almost 10 times faster than the USA is throwing people back into it.

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

sovnarkoman posted:

https://deadline.com/video/adam-curtis-bbc-cant-get-you-out-of-my-head/looking forward to adam curtis releasing the same documentary for the 50th time

Hypernormalisation was trash but I'll still watch this, mentally compose a series of searing takedowns, and never post them

So I finished watching the final part of this last night. I'm going to go out on a limb and say... it was good, actually?? Not about to give it unqualified praise, of course. But bearing in mind always that it is presented as an "emotional history", and watching from the critical perspective we should all be accustomed to when consuming any media, it was actually a rather intriguing and worthwhile experience. For every time I winced at a generalisation or mischaracterisation of something, I was very pleasantly surprised at other elements. Notably, in the final part (spoiler alert!), he very explicitly frames the liberal idea of the 2016 election being stolen through a misinformation campaign by Cambridge Analytica and the Russians as a conspiracy theory in the pejorative sense (and I enjoyed his broader exploration of postwar conspiracy theory subsuming both truth and fiction).

Anyway, I think this is his best work since the Power of Nightmares. Ever since 2009's more explicitly experimental 'It Felt Like A Kiss' he's been trying to work out how to strike a balance between a more impressionistic style of filmmaking and the formal concerns of the documentary, and this is definitely the closest he's come to really making it work. It helps perhaps that he's not confined himself to a dead-end topic like "what's the deal with afghanistan? (feat. a bunch of b-reel I found in a closet in kabul)" or "what's the deal with russia? (feat. a shitty book i just read and got too obsessed with)".

does it have the Kylie Minogue song in it
No. I can't find the interview now so I'm paraphrasing but he felt he couldn't use it because it was too iconic.

It helps perhaps that he's not confined himself to a dead-end topic like "what's the deal with afghanistan? (feat. a bunch of b-reel I found in a closet in kabul)" or "what's the deal with russia? (feat. a shitty book i just read and got too obsessed with)".

I turned it off after he said "I'm not interested in materialism" and set out his dual genocides theory in episode 1

No. I can't find the interview now so I'm paraphrasing but he felt he couldn't use it because it was too iconic.

hmm... gonna give him that one... everybody gets one

swampman posted:

I turned it off after he said "I'm not interested in materialism" and set out his dual genocides theory in episode 1

one of my big problems with the first couple episodes was this whole segment too:

from what i can tell that part was mostly cribbed from one of those classic british books about how mao/someone close to mao was an insane evil person with bad teeth or whatever
imagining a 6 hour doc where getfiscal does frustrating takes
*extremely twitter voice* parts of this piece of media can be read as Problematic and it is therefore Cancelled in its entirety.
*extremely Great Helmsman voice* We have the Marxist-Leninist weapon of criticism and self-criticism. We can get rid of a bad style and keep the good.

aerdil posted:

classic british insane evil person with bad teeth

[account deactivated]
post-america should be regularly shown in high school social studies classes and adam curtis should go in the trash along with the rest of england
something about that video made me so uncomfortable i had to close it like half way through

Synergy posted:

something about that video made me so uncomfortable i had to close it like half way through

lurk moreâ„¢

Synergy posted:

It's kind of interesting that communists don't have a good argument for how they plan to deal with the corrupting power of Satan? Who must ever undo the kindly deeds of Men

swampman posted:

Synergy posted:

It's kind of interesting that communists don't have a good argument for how they plan to deal with the corrupting power of Satan? Who must ever undo the kindly deeds of Men

wow didnt know lenin got shot by a satanist
remembering the glory days of a dozen Satanic temples per Geocities webring
the decay of edgelord performative internet religion from goofy satanism to smug racist atheism to today's neonazi tradcaths is a terrible shame.

hipster dipshit that I am, as a dumb teen I bucked the trends by double carding as a discordian while leading an evangelical youth group. both were tragic mistakes but this is how children learn.
the best thing about the satanic reds website, imo, is how they have canonised FDR
I like the tabs that say "666" and "FUN"
[account deactivated]
Just watched a 4-hour long superhero movie. No i didn't but if I did I'd definitely admit it to everyone online.
panos cosmatos's film "beyond the black rainbow," which is exactly the 2 hour long synthwave music video you would expect from a nerd whos father made rambo first blood part 2

tears posted:

panos cosmatos's film "beyond the black rainbow," which is exactly the 2 hour long synthwave music video you would expect from a nerd whos father made rambo first blood part 2

he's a cool director and i hope gets to make more movies

sovnarkoman posted:

So I finished watching the final part of this last night. I'm going to go out on a limb and say... it was good, actually?? Not about to give it unqualified praise, of course. But bearing in mind always that it is presented as an "emotional history", and watching from the critical perspective we should all be accustomed to when consuming any media, it was actually a rather intriguing and worthwhile experience. For every time I winced at a generalisation or mischaracterisation of something, I was very pleasantly surprised at other elements. Notably, in the final part (spoiler alert!), he very explicitly frames the liberal idea of the 2016 election being stolen through a misinformation campaign by Cambridge Analytica and the Russians as a conspiracy theory in the pejorative sense (and I enjoyed his broader exploration of postwar conspiracy theory subsuming both truth and fiction).

Anyway, I think this is his best work since the Power of Nightmares. Ever since 2009's more explicitly experimental 'It Felt Like A Kiss' he's been trying to work out how to strike a balance between a more impressionistic style of filmmaking and the formal concerns of the documentary, and this is definitely the closest he's come to really making it work. It helps perhaps that he's not confined himself to a dead-end topic like "what's the deal with afghanistan? (feat. a bunch of b-reel I found in a closet in kabul)" or "what's the deal with russia? (feat. a shitty book i just read and got too obsessed with)".

Everything was forever until it was no more is a fantastic book that curtis does a big disservice to with Hypernormalisation. this series is good though yeah