i wonder if my account still has forums cancer. i don't wonder enough to go there to check though
I went back and trolled GBS for like a week in 2014 and my account still had forums cancer. By that point everyone thought it was cool that I had it (lol), so the mods promptly removed it and then I never returned
been playing noita lately, you're a witch with wands blowing up the world, here's my latest death from my deepest run so far, i was ascending and got polymorphed and dieded

the first time i played fallout 4 i explored the entire map which was a huge waste of time. for some reason i thought it would be funny to play it again but only do the main quest to see how ignoring everything affected the game. i run away from people mid conversation, walk right past scenes of tension/violence, leave settlements dry and empty. it's great because when i return to those places days later, NPCs are either stuck in a scene waiting for me to react or slowly following my character for quest completion. every time i go to sanctuary hills to mod my guns, preston garvey sneaks up on me asking for help and i'm like uhh maybe later dude and i just know he's dying inside.
Not sure the video game Fallout 4 can feel emotions about how you play it... someone look into this.
i just looked into it and turns out its true. messed up but true.

kinch posted:

iirc 'feeding ham 2 cats' posted about getting a visit from the secret service when he said he lived in DC and was going to shoot down air force one with an rpg. not lf but twisty also got an interview, at the conclusion of which the agent, while walking out the door, turned back and said 'you really are a twisted aristocrat.' in any case lf was deleted because they couldn't find anyone to mod it

it was marine one, the helicopter. good times

the actual post that did it, that i'm somewhat proud to have seen in the flesh so to speak, was "my work is within sight of where marine one takes off. what's the effective range of an RPG" or something similar to that.
whatever it was, it was just pretext for the admins to shut lf down which they wanted to do long before that
playing a myst clone (quern). currently being walloped by a sliding block puzzle

edit: solved the sliding block puzzle

Edited by 88888 ()

hope it’s not too late—more like Failout Bore. the game is bad, folks.
i just got to the snowboarding part in FF7 and: lol
not posting for a very long time freed me up to, uhh, do lots of other things? but some of that time i've spent playing Games, sure. here my thoughts:

2020 goty, for me, is yakuza like a dragon. still playing it but im almost done. the turn based combat works great and overall i think this is both my favourite yakuza game to date and my favourite jrpg.

the other big game of 2020 that i played was cyberpunk. lol. overall i rate this game as just okay. i loved the setting and some of the characters and story beats were cool. mostly though the story was a bit tired and tiring, and there were gaping holes throughout the game and its systems indicating where the cut content should have been. maybe i'll pick it up again in a couple of years once incremental improvements and additions have turned it into something closer to what was promised. probably not though

after yakuza i'll turn my attention to some older games. i was just recently given a free ps3 from a relative who'd been using it as a DVD player for their youngest kid and no longer needed it. turned out to be an easily hackable model so now i have a way to try all the ps2 & ps3 games i missed for not having a console thru those generations. some of the games i'm keen to play: nier, drakengard 2 & 3, tokyo jungle, raw danger, yakuza: dead souls, god hand, ico hd, critical velocity.

thank you for reading my january 2021 video game post, in this, the 2020 video games thread.
hi peetrol

karphead posted:

been playing noita lately, you're a witch with wands blowing up the world, here's my latest death from my deepest run so far, i was ascending and got polymorphed and dieded

last months tetris games:

47, 3, 69, 36, 17, 1, 51, 13, 87, 19

for an average of 34.3

this months games:

40, 35, 21, 78, 71, 25, 29, 64, 49, 63

average of 47.5

verdict; i have improved
Since were in the realm of posting our "video game achievements" I have now beaten the game Baldur's Gate 1 on Legacy of Bhaal mode, starting at level 1, with Sword Coast Strategems installed and all difficulty maxed, solo, as a monk. This puts me in a club of about 2 people. Let none say I did not do something with my life.
I finished Yakuza and have now thrown myself properly into Nier. I have no idea if I'd be so taken with it if I hadn't first played Automata but wow, these games are brilliant. I plan to play through this before the remake comes out, then play that, then I'll probably go back to Automata for a bit, at least to replay parts of it using chapter select.

tears posted:

solo

didnt know covid hit faerun lol

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

I finished Yakuza and have now thrown myself properly into Nier. I have no idea if I'd be so taken with it if I hadn't first played Automata but wow, these games are brilliant.

the gameplay is a bit less refined than in Automata, but i stand by my earlier remarks that the first nier is the stronger work of fiction with a better cast, and the party's personalities play off one another very well. all in all, you're in for a treat

just don't go for 100%; some of the sidequests are basically designed to troll completionists. that said, i found it worthwhile to play through to all the endings, and would recommend same

(if there's some bit of content you are curious about but rightly refuse to pursue — like the horrible farming minigame — there's always this, which covers everything)

Constantignoble posted:

just don't go for 100%; some of the sidequests are basically designed to troll completionists. that said, i found it worthwhile to play through to all the endings, and would recommend same

100%ing games never made sense to me, like, way to suck the joy out of something you love. but i happily played enough of automata to get

Spoiler!

so i'm sure i'll be able to do the equivalent here. thanks for that link.

you fuck with any of the drakengards? after messing around with each of them for a few minutes i think 1 is basically unplayable but idk whether the other ones are worth investing much time... i did watch a video of the drakengard 1 ending that connects with nier though, that was cool

nay, have not played the drakengames, though i have absorbed bits of them through friends and youtube
wondering how many GME bux it took to make former poster Keven disappear his Twitter account. rip

cars posted:

wondering how many GME bux it took to make former poster Keven disappear his Twitter account. rip

cars posted:

lol he was posting about his stock escapades for the past few weeks, and it was making his twitter bad, but those posts definitely did include investing in gamestop extensively well before it took off so yeah. Hes rich now

Keven was a wsb guy when the entire outfit first became 24/7 Buy GME On Robinhood & he posted openly on this site about what he had on hand to play the market so zero doubt about it. after the rally he briefly made his Twitter about which truck he should buy & then deleted his account. Goonspeed
damn these people not for what they did, but for the inevitable adam curtis documentary segment about it
between Keven bux and AmericanNazbro serving a full term as President of the united states LF is as bigtime as ever
i have it on good authority that even illustrious former poster Crow made money on this gamestop nonsense. personally i am morally opposed to gambling but i congratulate all comrades past and present on their financial gains.
ty and horty goongrats to Pooty Tats member Mister Crow.

Keven posted:

I'm still pretty sure mtw is objectively correct revolutionary science but it's no way for me to live my life. Sorry everyone.

i had a look at reddit and everyone there is talking about how this is "the endgame" and how everyone should hold on with "diamond hands 💎🙌". the one bet im willing to take is that we see at least one or two suicides in the near future as these lemmings watch their newfound millions evaporate
How did this all begin? Wallstreet bets decided to pump up GME just for shits and giggles? Was there some sort of logic to it?

Edit nvm I think I get it. There was an existing group of short sellers and a katamari ball of redditors decided to bet on the stock to the hilt. So a bunch of money transferred from 'traditional' investors to Robin hood reddit types. That wave is probably over and all the kids and kids at heart will be losing their shirts on the bubble now, right?

Also how many of you are secret degenerate gamblers? We heed a gytd forum.

Edited by Belphegor ()

Really what happened is exactly what it seems. It was a shrewd bet by a core group outside of high finance who theorized they could gin up enough support at the retail level to fuck over big institutional investors who went over 100% short on companies everyone figured were doomed. It worked. They made money.

You can probably ignore any of the crude pseudo-producerist, pseudo-moral language wafting around it, that's just an easy sell among the sort of retail support they needed. That pitch worked too, as what the successful bettors needed (and arguably still need) were and are cult-of-the-hour types, to provide that retail support, and Elon Musk has successfully presented short selling anything as evil and immoral to his sizable business-news-skimming cult because he felt short selling threatened his then-current deathtrap-car grift (until Tesla settled on the emission-credit grift as their real core business and brought their stock price up that way). Of course an argument that you should never bet against anything is like declaring that all roads should be downhill both ways, it's nonsense, which is also why it doesn't really matter that it's nonsense.

Though probably some of the people who made a lot of money this week genuinely believe in it, that's how ideology works, that's how ideology works, that's how ideology works, three times and it's true, even better if something noisy happens to happen at the same time...

I was looking back at the pdf-forum ultraviolet conspiracy-theory thread about UFOs, thinking about stuff like this—the money I did make off the last few days, late to the party, tangentially involved someone reminding me about the Meme Kid who got his shit kicked in by the Oath Keepers in 2017, before your average 40-something mega-divorced Troop knew what a "meme" was, this kid who just waded in with a bunch of swastikas and shouted gibberish at people he thought were his pals... and now all the Oath Keepers definitely know what memes are.

Not talking about this forum specifically at all on this next part... I still post here because it's an exception. But I'm still stunned how hard it is, it feels like every single time it's just as difficult, to circle a lot of "leftists" in moments like these back to the reality of ideology, to how the most diehard and "hardnosed" cynicism can't capture it or understand it, how e.g. your average Venezuelan booj-family expat really does believe their CIA-backed hijinx will bring democracy and freedom to a hellscape dystopia of fasco-communist dictatorship, and that's why their families fit in so well in the United States, home of the free. Guaido went around declaring himself and his friends The Avengers, and if somehow the CIA had installed him he'd be sure he was right, he'd probably have Disney artists finishing up a superhero mural on the ceiling of Miraflores Palace right now. If something works for someone, asking themselves whether their idea of what happened makes sense... that isn't on the top of most people's lists, and that part itself makes a lot of sense.
They love talking about that south african trust fund motherfucker and how they're gonna use all this wall street money to buy tickets on his rocket to mars... and you just know they aren't ALL joking about that

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

i had a look at reddit and everyone there is talking about how this is "the endgame" and how everyone should hold on with "diamond hands 💎🙌". the one bet im willing to take is that we see at least one or two suicides in the near future as these lemmings watch their newfound millions evaporate

it's all people pumping each other up acting like they're doing This is Sparta or something and spamming HOLD THE LINE BROTHER at each other and it somehow worked in getting the stock to bounce an extra $200+ after the initial short squeeze and soon all the people who really believe they're in 300 are going to lose everything. Or it just keeps going up forever for some reason like bitcoin, purely as a speculative interest and completely untethered from all actual value

Edited by ilmdge ()

i find it all pretty neat. i mean, absolutely, the romantic gloss is stultifying, but a mob robbing a hedge fund blind is worth a good belly laugh. wholesome fun.

i don't know any precedent for a mobilization of this nature — one that i doubt very much could happen until very recently in history, and one that has priests of mammon in a tizzy. this certainly isn't "praxis," but there's bound to be some aspect of it that should be learned from, properly framed in terms of conflict between petit and haute bourgeois.

(also amusing: the first time the "robinhood" app actually fills a role even remotely resembling its namesake, it panics and restricts trading)
even Marx saw playing the market as a way of making money off the enemy. But it’s genuinely LOL to see liberal-“leftists” going from zero to Dumb at their usual rate, promoting retail trading all the way to the status of “class war”, mainly because that’s the sort of advertising line that companies like TD Ameritrade used back when online day trading first took off.

I’ve come to accept that this is not really Lucy and the football, it really is a form of amnesia. They don’t realize they’re using commercials they overheard as kids to define their politics. But if they never knew what “class war” meant, to the extent that they think it means individuals engaging in stock speculation, could they really “forget” it? I don’t know, maybe people should set reminders on their phones to read Marx