[account deactivated]
short & sweet, relatable, upbeat, and with a good call to action

i vote front page
If you learn with a teacher and then an anti-teacher are you still hungry for knowledge? 🤔
i had a math teacher that really hated Eminem and would tell our class that rappers should stop complaining and get a job.
I have thirty aneurysms in a row and die immediately whenever I read a description of Marxists as stealth reverse priests. Like I may think the Western variety known as "Trot" is a bad one but he's not doing secret religion because he starts an article about the rupee and the dinar and ends it talking about Trotsky getting stabbed, he's just a Trot.
most americans experience proselytization (?) through religious engagement so it becomes the lens through which all recruitment techniques are viewed
I think the comparison is just to point out that both are idealists putting words on a page above results in reality, not to conflate the ideological aspects of religious and political idealism.

I mostly agree with the thesis of the OP regarding teaching in general. If I had written it I maybe would have spent more time on the idea in

Antiteachers in the language arts make children believe... that their grammar's poor, or from the wrong class or nation

a little more because looking back, it was an ever present influence in my education but to my personal unfair advantage. I was always a "good student" even when I was irresponsible and careless about my academic work because teachers and antiteachers alike fostered a good learning environment for me. They easily taught me because I could show a type of enthusiasm or at least willingness to go along with the school program which students who did badly even under the same teachers could not because the program is clearly against them. To put it another way, if the antiteacher's hidden goal is to teach you your place, my place was so comfortable they saw little need to give me that kind of instruction, and I was free to learn the things that are actually enjoyable. Kids who have to struggle against the antiteacher's extra lessons start to respond with mistrust even to a real good teacher's attempts from then on. And kids who pass through easily, get labeled gifted and placed above in all the other ways often develop some kind of long term damage to their motivation and self worth which is commonly characterized as "burn-out". Usually I see it talked about like every other psychological problem people experience, that is as an outcome of fate and the stars under which you were born, which makes sense if like our educational system you believe that specially gifted kids are born and must be picked out for special programs. But really it's just the side effect of telling most kids that they're worth less than their peers.

In class science though, I don't see a lot of teacher-student dynamics. I don't think there's a lot of antiteachers or teachers at the moment in the imperial core. All the serious students are learning on their own or with small groups of other students. There's a lot of leaders and followers, but transmission and creation of knowledge is a strictly tertiary part of the dynamic. Idealists, admonishers, and conservatives are plenty and they mislead many, but I don't think they care about teaching anyone anything and their followers don't care much about learning from them, the association is generally political or ideological.

That being said, I like the post a lot. It identifies harmful tendencies and how to overcome them which will are helpful to any student. I just disagree with the thesis that these miseducation tactics are being employed by educators of class science.

colddays posted:

In class science though, I don't see a lot of teacher-student dynamics. I don't think there's a lot of antiteachers or teachers at the moment in the imperial core. All the serious students are learning on their own or with small groups of other students. There's a lot of leaders and followers, but transmission and creation of knowledge is a strictly tertiary part of the dynamic. Idealists, admonishers, and conservatives are plenty and they mislead many, but I don't think they care about teaching anyone anything and their followers don't care much about learning from them, the association is generally political or ideological.

this whole paragraph applies to school education as well

You're right, I hadn't thought of it that way before but now it's obvious. Now I'm wondering how the hell does anyone manage to get anything in their head by the time they're out of compulsory education