all my shits hacked. everyones looking. there is no escape, no way to run, systemd and javascript are everywhere and if someone wants in they will do it. its all chill, i dont know what the endgame is or what im supposed to do to appease those ive offended
actually i do know. everyone wants exclusive loyalty and some kind of compromise i cant make from any side. also im being forced to work at like, gunpoint. and i wont do cia/fbi/nsa things but theyre probably all lookin too so im just fucked or whatyever
at least some people want me dead. maybe all. idk. i kind of want me ddead too
youre probably just running a packet sniffer you forgot about, ya doofus
anyone want to tell me why there are established tcp connectionsd between my x server and wherever
ssh is disabled entirely on this machine. Lmoaaaa
are you a reregged graphicalussrinterface
cop qquestion. irrelevant
ok well be less weird

Horselord posted:

ok well be less weird

ill take more drugs, go to mcdonalds and buy booze and then everything will be fine

way to betray taco bell

sovnarkoman posted:

way to betray taco bell

they betrayed me first

[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

youre probably just running a packet sniffer you forgot about, ya doofus

now how would you know that huh. turn in your badge airedale

招瑤 posted:

now how would you know that huh. turn in your badge airedale

turns out. dhcpd itself. is a giant packet sniffer. im normal. its all fine

less dhcp more dhkp-c
https://yeti-dns.org/ eyes emoji
i fucked up my dns shit so bad on my pc last night trying to set up a secure dns solution that its now defaulting to the link-layer llmnr protocol to do name resolution whihc is scary and bad, so i jsut ip link set wlan0 down na mean. ill fix it soon its just gonna be a big thing. i dont have cash for a pihole so im going to do something even MORE psycho and set up a dns server inside a chroot jail on one of my computers (tbd).

i kind of just mentally put together how dns works last night for real and i'm very excited to explore the alternate namespaces, such as those provided by the chinese state-funded yeti server, but also, opennic, which provides a ".epic" domain lmfao, so im going to set up two forward zones.. and maybe more.

here's some good news on yeti:

The Yeti-DNS project is supported by Japan’s WIDE project, Vixie’s own collaborative engineering and security project TISF, and the Beijing Internet Institute, a self-proclaimed private research organization affiliated with the Chinese BII Group, which works with Internet governance bodies and many of the largest technology companies in the world on networking. The Yeti Project’s research agenda will explore questions around IPv6-only operation, DNSSEC key rollover, renumbering and scaling issues, and multiple zone file signers.

epic. but also, this rootserver operator dude named vixie sounds like a bad ass

Having reached out to operators in BRICS countries about participating in YETI-DNS, Vixie said, the project reflects his view

…that if some country decides some day that ICANN cannot be trusted, and they want to create their own Internet DNS system, I want them to have the necessary expertise and competence and awareness of tradeoffs, in-country, to pursue their own sovereign course.

Wait a minute. What does it mean, “pursue their own sovereign course”? Is Vixie encouraging a DNS aligned with national territories?

Vixie’s claim that he “consulted” with BRICs turns out to be a bit of an understatement. In 2014, Vixie worked closely with the state-owned registry of China (CNNIC) to promote a new IETF standard that would allow the number of authoritative root servers to increase beyond the current limit of 13. As a matter of technical scalability, that may be a good idea. The problem is its linkage to a country that has long shown a more than passing interest in a sovereign Internet, and in modifying the DNS to help bring about sovereign control of the Internet. For many years, China has wanted its “own” root server. The proposal was not adopted by IETF, and its failure there seems to have prompted the formation and continued work of the YETI-DNS project. We wonder how much of this is being funded by China.

https://www.internetgovernance.org/2016/04/07/alternate-dns-roots-and-the-abominable-snowman-of-sovereignty/

anyways, i just went to buy soda at the liquor store and wehn the toadies- possum kingdom was over it started playing like a 10min ad for cloudflare that was some dude who worked for NATO talking about why they used it. the dnsmen are on to me :(

i really do be the only one posting itt
im being gangstalked by ICANN
🤡
thats not very "pog" of you, my friend
wow. why wont ANYONE entertain my fixation on dns architecture.. guess im just gonna go post questions i know the answer to on the cloudflare support forums to bait a tech support guy into talking to me about dns
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

second_axiom posted:

wow. why wont ANYONE entertain my fixation on dns architecture.. guess im just gonna go post questions i know the answer to on the cloudflare support forums to bait a tech support guy into talking to me about dns

toyot posted:

gussri, do you have any advice on how to detect malicious/snooping programs on a linux machine or router?

it's an art more than a science or anything, because there are so many routes for compromise and a lot of the time you might never have more than a suspicion or very indirect evidence, not to mention the difficulty of then tracking down who you've let in (the truth of security is it's impossible to keep everyone out, or anyone even, it's about who you let in, how, why, and what you do with whatever the intruder's request / info they reveal is). i'm fairly certain i've been pwnd actually but uh, you know? i'm on a lenovo x220 and the most firm evidence i have atm is suspicious traffic i can't seem to get rid of through software following a mysterious reboot and a week-long internet outage. followed by being kicked from my local isp for at least a month. and then a curious new listing for a qualcomm 3g modem device in my ip addr interface listing. by the way, sometimes this modem device is referred to as a huawei gobi and at others, a qualcomm gobi. i hope i'm calling home to where i think i am , at least.

anyways to answer your question, i'd start by checking netstat / ss to see what's connected to your machine via tcp and if there are any listening udp sockets or anything and where they're bound to. if you see anything weird, say, unusual http connections, ps aux / lsof and pipe the pid/port to grep. next step is strace, and possibly a packet sniffer like tcpdump or if you prefer, wireshark. watch the patterns of the connections, whois / google whatever ips / hostnames show up. about:network in firefox config can be useful as well, if you use that browser. if you think your machine's been tampered with, try and do this from live media, because your utilities could have been replaced too- though if it's been fucked with thoroughly enough that won't help you either, lol. there's probably more but that's a pretty good start right there. just keep googling my friend

after some thought i think one of the routers in our network has probably been hit by some kind of dns tampering/arp cache poisoning, repeatedly lol, but i'm not the one in charge of the router security, my roommate is. all i can do probably is configure my own dns stuff

edit: it could not even be the router here of course. could be some other computer somewhere else. im gonna watch closer & query traceroute a bunch

Edited by second_axiom ()

xi jinping. i wish you would hack my computer. please
[account deactivated]

Acdtrux posted:

xi jinping told me your defense is too high

if i install win7 on a sub-200 price point lenovo laptop would you be able to point me in the direction of the malware i need to download and execute from baidu to get xi jinping looped into the system. thanks

can i please get some malware emailed to me from a chinese ip? user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:83.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/83.0

thhanks
how do i let xi jinping know i want to be a traitor to my country :(
[account deactivated]
It seems like the reasonable answer is that you work to build the anti-imperialist movement within the borders of the us and provide support to liberation movements

Anything else is eat pray love wrapped in a red flag

Edited by pogfan1996 ()

all you scientists were so busy working for ICANN, but did you ever stop and consider if ISHOULDD
Sometimes when I read about computers I think I understand what's going on but most of the time I think people are just making words up.

pogfan1996 posted:

It seems like the reasonable answer is that you work to build the anti-imperialist movement within the borders of the us and provide support to liberation movements

Anything else is eat pray love wrapped in a red flag

as a first-worlder living in the heart of the empire, the most effective thing one could do is start a cryptocoin that will be tied to a blockchain that calculates its beneficiaries by drawing from the U.S. State Department's list of terrorist organizations and proportions the percentages based on the number of U.S. soldiers each one has killed.

Edited by aerdil ()

[account deactivated]

Acdtrux posted:

~% uptime
01:24:27 up 75 days, 9:27, 2 users, load average: 1.35, 1.12, 1.04

on my laptop... running updates now, wish me luck

75 days.... thats not a laptop anymore, its a server.