[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/1999/1011/6409353s1.html?sh=7ab85911522a posted:

Oct 10, 1999,11:00pm EDT
In old blood
This article is more than 10 years old.

The death of Steven Kangas has all the makings of a politically charged murder mystery: spies, guns, money--and, of course, a corpse. More likely, it's just what a Pittsburgh coroner said it was: a simple suicide. Either way, the facts may never fully answer why Kangas, an obscure on-line liberal advocate and former Army intelligence employee, traveled some 3,000 miles from Las Vegas to shoot himself in a bathroom outside the Pittsburgh office of ultraconservative billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife. "No one has a clue what really happened," says Kangas' mother, Jan Lankheet.

But everyone has a theory.

Lankheet claims intelligence officials caused her son's death. (Kangas performed wiretapping work in Germany for the Army in the 1980s). Kangas' father, Robert Esh, thinks his liberal son simply meant to soil Scaife's reputation.

Forbes 400 member Scaife? His lawyer and private detectives investigated to determine if Kangas--who used his "Liberalism Resurgent" Web site to criticize Scaife and other conservatives--was out to kill him.

A self-described pacifist, Kangas bought a gun in Las Vegas, wired his apartment with a new alarm system, sold his car, then traveled by bus to Pittsburgh. There, he sneaked into One Oxford Centre and made his way to the 39th floor, hiding in the bathroom across from Scaife's office. On the night of Feb. 8, Kangas was found sitting on a toilet, covered with blood--and dead.

"Based on his Web site writings, it is obvious that intended to confront and harm Mr. Scaife,"a Scaife spokesman said. Scaife's detectives decided that the death was a suicide.

As for Kangas' father: "There's no great murder mystery here. He worked alone trying to make a political statement, and thought he'd go out with a bang. And he did."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/daily/march99/scaife15.htm posted:

Scaife Probes Background of Suicide

Associated Press
Monday, March 15, 1999; Page A10

PITTSBURGH, March 14—Conservative billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife has a private investigator digging into the background of a man who killed himself in a bathroom outside Scaife's office, to see if he was being stalked by the man.

Steven R. Kangas, 37, who championed liberal causes with a Web site titled "Liberalism Resurgent," died of a gunshot wound to the head on the 39th floor of One Oxford Center on Feb. 8. Scaife did not run into Kangas on the day of his death.

For the last month, private investigator Rex Armistead of Mississippi has been traveling the country to investigate Kangas.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said Scaife is interested in whether Kangas was after him because Scaife funded conservative causes, including giving a magazine, the American Spectator, $1.8 million to investigate President Clinton.

Scaife has questioned the finding of suicide in the death of White House aide and former Arkansas lawyer Vincent W. Foster Jr. Scaife has said Foster's death is the "Rosetta stone" of the Clinton administration.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, where Scaife is publisher, reported that Kangas posted a message on the Internet six days before his death blaming Scaife for all of Clinton's troubles.

"Clinton is, in my mind, a moderate Republican, and it is only the insanity of Richard Mellon Scaife that is causing them to go after this man," Kangas wrote.

Kangas's Web site also criticized Scaife, the Knights of Malta and Katharine Graham, chairman of the executive committee of The Washington Post Co.

Kangas recently had sold his share of a gambling business in Las Vegas.

On Feb. 8, building engineer Don Adams checked a men's room down the hall from Scaife's office and found Kangas alive and lying on the floor.

Adams asked "Are you okay?" and Kangas mumbled something in return, police said.

Adams went for help, and when he returned he found Kangas seated on a toilet with a gunshot wound to the head, according to a police report.

Police said they found a pistol Kangas had bought two weeks earlier in Las Vegas. He had $14.63 in his pockets and his backpack contained 47 rounds of ammunition and a copy of Hitler's "Mein Kampf."

Kangas's blood-alcohol level was 0.14 percent. In most states, a driver is considered drunk at 0.10 percent.

Kangas's mother, Jan Lankheet, said One Oxford Center officials showed her a videotape indicating her son was in the building nearly nine hours before Adams found him.

"We still don't know if Steve was running or if he was after somebody," Lankheet said.

© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company

his websites still up, what a fucking trip

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/

main course:

desert:

but i guess since i can just go on wikipedia and it will tell me straight up that his father was director of VoA and USAI, then like, surely i am the last person in the whole world to know that tucker carlson is a spook. please tell me this is very common knowledge
were those from the same article? the day after that top one was published i tweeted this

i wonder if i went down that same rabbit hole to reach the same conclusion.

no one engaged with me then, and i haven't seen anyone really talking about it until the past week or two - and i've now seen this claim pop up a handful of times (mostly posted together with a "anderson cooper is a cia agent" claim). i've heard that tucker has been on the leading edge of fox news hosts being critical of trump and the coup attempt - i wonder if this story making the rounds now is a result from the qanon/trump-conspiracy-diehards attempting to push it/undermine tucker now that he's apparently flipped sides from their perspective

solidar posted:

were those from the same article?

i wonder if i went down that same rabbit hole to reach the same conclusion.

Different articles, and im pretty out of the loop tbh, but i saw someone laughing that "tuckr carlsson was rejected from the cia lmao" then spent a whole 5 minutes reading about his daddy Dick Carlson.

Edited by tears ()

i actually had received a recruitment flyer from the turkish intelligence agency right after i graduated but i rejected them
ah u decided to go with the gulenists instead i see
tears: wait... its enders game
tucker carlson: *cocks gun* always has been

aerdil posted:

ah u decided to go with the gulenists instead i see

nah the followers of the honorable preacher ran MIT back then and i assume that s why they sent me a flyer coz my father used to roll with them until like a decade before that lol

thinking about how the bourgeoisie is thinking, “If more & more people get sick faster & faster we can do stuff we didn’t dare do before because everyone will be too weak or busy to stop us”
like they don’t have to think of themselves as evil horrible monsters even. Guaranteed there are a bunch of center-left-liberal bourgeois who are saying to each other “Oh it’s so sad but we can at least slash social programs now & protect the plebeians from the greater disease of Reckless Spending”

cars posted:

thinking about how the bourgeoisie is thinking, “If more & more people get sick faster & faster we can do stuff we didn’t dare do before because everyone will be too weak or busy to stop us”

there was an article jools linked a few days ago about a paramedic in new york

“If you had cared about this population, you would have shut things down sooner. You wouldn’t have been desperately trying to buy ventilators so long after it was clear it was going to happen. If you’re over 70 and you’re chronically ill, and you’re poor—that population is just going to be gone when the people in quarantine come back out of doors. Who knows, maybe no one will notice.”

There’s likely some mathematics of it, where X number of people getting sick in a span of time leads to discontent as we’ve seen this year, but once they pass threshold Y the real effects of people being ill or caring for loved ones causes a short-term boost to ease of measures to suppress resistance. There’s also likely some math of long-term effects e.g. peasant revolts and their outcomes following the Black Death vs. short-term benefits to suppressing opposition.

Lmk anything good you have on the balance of reduced production/potential unrest vs. reduced resistance in the interests of the bourgeoisie during time of plague

Like... the medieval studies stuff I have on hand talks a lot about peasant revolts as long-term effects of the Black Death but has a lot less on the short term for obvious reasons of record-keeping & how history works as a discipline, and work on more recent pandemics would be worth a lot more for other obvious reasons: accounting for the decadent welfare state, falling rate of profit, automation, etc.

(This also suggests to me the absurdity of certain pseudo-Marxists’ belief that the Plague Is Fake and only exists as a massive PR campaign by the bourgeoisie. Because in that case, the bourgeoisie would foster the discontent against their own governments but get none of the potential counter-effects in their favor. But I guess most of those pseudos also believe the people in the streets this year are a big fake-out too, per their belief that if a lot of people are talking about anything, it’s always because of a secret evil plot to make them talk about it.....)

tears posted:

cars posted:

there was an article jools linked a few days ago about a paramedic in new york

“If you had cared about this population, you would have shut things down sooner. You wouldn’t have been desperately trying to buy ventilators so long after it was clear it was going to happen. If you’re over 70 and you’re chronically ill, and you’re poor—that population is just going to be gone when the people in quarantine come back out of doors. Who knows, maybe no one will notice.”

ty tears.... before I even asked..... this forum owns

cars posted:

There’s likely some mathematics of it, where X number of people getting sick in a span of time leads to discontent as we’ve seen this year, but once they pass threshold Y the real effects of people being ill or caring for loved ones causes a short-term boost to ease of measures to suppress resistance.

"Lets run it again, but this time reduce ventilators by 30%"
cars you might get a kick out of this

I don’t subscribe to the great man theory of history but someone who killed that guy would save a lot of lives
my favorite relic of my time in chicago is one of them button pins what says "fuck you rahm"

Edited by zhaoyao ()

something that occurred to me this morning - since rhizzone re-pivot to conspiracy krew is in full flow is that here in the UK there are plenty of videos floating around of people filming empty testing centres saying that coronavirus is a hoax because the centres are empty and thus fake. But if we take as given two facts 1: coronavirus is real; 2: testing centres are empty; then well, you do the math(s).

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/coronavirus-test-site-chaos-booking-4500991 posted:

One of Leicester’s biggest coronavirus testing centres stood empty this afternoon as people up and down the country tried desperately to make appointments.

One Leicester man needing a swab was turned away from a testing station at Evington Leisure Centre when he couldn’t book an appointment online.

A Hinckley pensioner was also offered a slot at a testing centre in Aberdeen - 440 miles and a 15 hour round trip away.

Yet when LeicestershireLive visited the Birstall Park and Ride site yesterday, Wednesday September 9, only one vehicle was present at the seven testing stations and there were no queues at the site, which appeared to be fully staffed.

The Department of Health and Social Care has insisted the system is working, but there have been widespread problems reported by those trying to book tests.

People from Leicester and Leicestershire have been told they'll need to travel as far as Aberdeen to get a test, while residents in Cheltenham, Anglesey, Worcester and Birmingham have been told to drive to Leicester to be swabbed.

Arun Sigh, who had been in close contact with someone who has the virus drove to the centre in Downing Drive for a test, but hadn't pre-booked and said staff told him to book an appointment on his phone while he was there.

“He said to me that as long as I had a QR code I’d be able to have a test," Mr Singh said. "So even if I was offered a slot at Aberdeen it wouldn’t matter because he could still process it. I parked up out of the way and tried to book an appointment.”

But the gov.uk website did not offer Arun any appointments, even though the Downing Drive was empty at the time. Staff were then forced to turn him away as a result.

;)

Indeed, the account does not hold water simply on the grounds cited in the passage quoted above. Imagining that SEALs were deployed to New Orleans in the chaotic days that followed Katrina is not exceptionally hard, considering the level of disorder that followed the devastation wrought by the hurricane. But the notion that dozens of Americans were shot dead on mere suspicion of (relatively minor) crimes, on American soil and with the full support of a system of law that otherwise does not allow for such summary punitive actions, challenges credulity to a very large degree.

classic snopes

my favorite new-ish conspiracy theory is that one of the most important reddit accounts, u/maxwellhill, mod of some of the largest subreddits, was Ghislaine Maxwell because it stopped posting after 14 years of constant reddit use the day before she was arrested.
https://vixra.org/pdf/2002.0039v3.pdf
a pure strain space virus (if that was a thing) wouldnt be so well adapted to mammalian ace2 receptor. unless the meteorite has a terrestrial origin

tears posted:

my favorite new-ish conspiracy theory is that one of the most important reddit accounts, u/maxwellhill, mod of some of the largest subreddits, was Ghislaine Maxwell because it stopped posting after 14 years of constant reddit use the day before she was arrested.

didn't goatstein turn that up lol

dimashq posted:

https://vixra.org/pdf/2002.0039v3.pdf

from what i can tell the authors here are proposing an alternative zoonotic hypothesis in which covid-19 leapt to humans from a demon alpaca, as pictured

edit: sorry friend but i blanked this because i thought it was a genuinely risky thing to post. i might be wrong but i like to be cautious.

Edited by tears ()

ok, so depending on whether epstein was murdered in a cover up, or is currently chilling on nonce island, ^^ is potentially either a wanted candidate for murder by suicide or the police are "looking for him" in the same way they might look for evidence of police corruption. either way that is s-tier conspiracy investigation and i dont think you should discuss it publicly if you are in the field. stay safe.
appreciate the concern but I would not post anything that put me in danger.

toyot posted:

how to cover up a mass looting
https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/speech/2020/03/23/remarks-by-world-bank-group-president-david-malpass-on-g20-finance-ministers-conference-call-on-covid-19

SHORTEN THE TIME TO RECOVERY

Beyond the severe health impact from the pandemic, we should expect a major recession of the global economy.

We are working to provide a fast response, utilizing all our available instruments. Countries need to move fast to boost health spending, strengthen social safety nets, support the private sector and counter financial-market disruption.

Countries will need to implement structural reforms to help shorten the time to recovery and create confidence that the recovery can be strong. For those countries that have excessive regulations, subsidies, licensing regimes, trade protection or litigiousness as obstacles, we will work with them to foster markets, choice and faster growth prospects during the recovery.

The resources to address the problems I’ve discussed are substantial. IBRD has recently had its capital increased and IDA has also been recently replenished. The World Bank Group, including IFC and MIGA, could deploy as much as $150 billion over the next 15 months.

OFFER DEBT RELIEF TO THE POOREST

I need to raise a related concern. This crisis will likely hit hardest against the poorest and most vulnerable countries, those roughly 75 poorest countries drawing on IDA. Many were already in a difficult debt situation, leaving no space for an appropriate health and economic response. We are ready to frontload IDA19 with up to $35 billion and identify additional resources. However, we cannot have IDA resources go to pay creditors.

for the Petrol's KKKonspiracy Library archives:

image for when Twitter gets banned in China/bans China:

kinch posted:

tears posted:

didn't goatstein turn that up lol

That or he was the first one to get a bunch of people talking about it... tHE r H i z z o n E Legacy

Parenti posted:

edit: sorry friend but i blanked this because i thought it was a genuinely risky thing to post. i might be wrong but i like to be cautious.

wow, apparently the first genuinely juicy thing to be posted in the kkkonspiracy thread and i fuckin' miss seeing it before it gets censored by the mods. whatever happened to free speech? thats it, i'm making a rhizzone account on parler, see ya.

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.
Serious question: does anyone have any advice for how to organise a huge pdf "library" using all the power of modern computer technology. Looking for some sort of tagging and indexing system but utter noob at the moment: its all in a messy windows folder hierarchy

edit: i basically want music tagging and a music player but for pdfs

Edited by tears ()

tears posted:

Serious question: does anyone have any advice for how to organise a huge pdf "library" using all the power of modern computer technology. Looking for some sort of tagging and indexing system but utter noob at the moment: its all in a messy windows folder hierarchy

you can easily write a script in python to do whatever you want, there's a lot of already made pdf modules

tears posted:

you could import all your pdfs (also works for other ebook formats) into calibre and then tag them there

Did he find Epstein or
Ok so followup question: if I was to use calibrie, or perhaps write something specially in python, or use something else entirely - what are the options for then sharing that indexed library system so someone else might browse the index in a suitably aesthetically pleasing manner and then access the material. hypothetically.