[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
did u guys figure out math yet. i was afk
yeah two plus two is four minus one that s three
my understanding of math is that one divides into two
particularly when the divisor is 1/2
tfw. wtf. ftw. whats trhe connecttion here? well, algebraically speaking, they are all moments in a cyclic permutation. you simply cant argue with these numbe
sad that joke got no upvotes. rip,,
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the tiling one is interesting. the results for 2d are well enough known and there are actually often interesting physics involved in the difference between processes that produce square vs hexagonal tilings. for example, soap films will never produce rectangular tilings in 2d because four-fold vertices are unstable without external forces. however, this means that there are special cases, for example in quasi-2D tissues like skin, where external forces can stabilize rectangular tilings

as for shannon, information theory is one of the great hopes for bridging quantum mechanics and general relativity, since both have ways of measuring information (in particular the information associated with black holes) that have to match up. this means that its not impossible that information theory ends up having a more important long term impact on the field than string theory!

Edited by c_man ()

taking free community college courses this year because i'm bored at my white collar data entry job and wanted to Learn again in a more systemic way, so i am currently learning calculus to see what the fuss is all about. going okay so far! maintaining an A. although blowing the dust off the trig and algebra i haven't touched in about 20 years has been the most difficult part, conceptually it's easy otherwise. i get the feeling they systemized the pedagogy for learning calculus in college pretty significantly. once i finish calculus and linear algebra someone hands you a bag of money, right? coming from an english degree so this is all new to me.
i wonder if the pedagogy has changed so much that you won't be turning in eight sheets of paper for a one-problem homework assignment before you 'finish' calculus. no doubt there's moneybags in there somewhere! im not exactly looking for them but i have never stumbled across them accidentally :)