Too bad no one on the rhizzone stepped up to debate him, maybe today he’d still have his 150k-250k income
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i know this doesn't need to be said. but just so destiny knows WHY nobody rescued their life with communism. it would be idiotic to go onto destiny's own platform in front of their own audience to "debate" them on any subject. it would be like going down to the precinct to meet a cop who challenged you to a fair fight. it doesn't matter if you're media savvy or have good arguments. nobody cares. but yes destiny is welcome to post here. we can make it fair and have a separate thread for each indivudlia poster to talk to them alone so they dont get bogged down with replies. so destiny if you looking to get your media empire back on track, come post here and show the world you're worth the 6 figures
Yeah destiny, you are welcome to come and post here. You'll feel right at home, everyone else here is a cop too
maybe its just the 30+ year old in me speaking but its amazing to me how someone could be bringing down a 150k-250k income from corporate sponsorships to do video game streaming yet still jeopardize it by being needlessly edgy on cam. if your demo requires that, why sign up with a corporate deal in the first place? wheres the professionalism? a True poster's life.
i guess im the fool here for making far less money than that and not loudly proclaiming that landlords should be guillotined on the work slack

aerdil posted:

maybe its just the 30+ year old in me speaking but its amazing to me how someone could be bringing down a 150k-250k income from corporate sponsorships to do video game streaming yet still jeopardize it by being needlessly edgy on cam. if your demo requires that, why sign up with a corporate deal in the first place? wheres the professionalism? a True poster's life.

\

please consider: the being edgy is how they got the 150k income stream in the first place

It’s also part of the “dream”, to posture like you’re J.K. Rowling sitting atop a fortune already earned from a mega-brand, to pretend you can say anything you like and the Man can’t stop you because money chases your superiority as an individual. It’s offered as the cherry on top of the sundae, so some streamer who beats the astronomical odds and makes a moderate living that way thinks it’s part of what they’ve earned, to log on and open their fat mouth and put their own revenue at risk while never suffering the consequences.
I think it's kind of a lumpen thing, to have wealth and influence fall into your lap from exploiting some bizarre temporary social distortion but not have the class foundation and experience to understand how to consolidate and maintain it. all of these new media fortunes are extremely precarious and that's not exactly an accident. but mostly i just wanted to say "lumpenstreamer"

this is infinitely more words than I ever wanted to spend on people being payed to play video games for an audience so i'll just type lumpenstreamer again and be satisfied with that
streambannführer

shriekingviolet posted:

I think it's kind of a lumpen thing, to have wealth and influence fall into your lap from exploiting some bizarre temporary social distortion but not have the class foundation and experience to understand how to consolidate and maintain it. all of these new media fortunes are extremely precarious and that's not exactly an accident.

then there's the fact that for every one of them making a small fortune there are ten thousand who get nothing. those two dozen russian companies mueller accused of influencing the election were doing something similar but more primitive, paying people to cultivate a bunch of social media profiles and then renting out the successful ones. because they were paying russian minimum wage but selling advertising to americans they could turn a small profit. the same thing would never work in the US, which is why we have a better system: tricking a million young people into spending all their leisure time building a brand. the successful few will get paid, sometimes a lot. the rest, which is almost all of them, get nothing.

not coincidentally it feeds into the american ideology of "anyone can make it" because one or two miraculously did while the thousands that didn't continue to waste their time contributing money into the platform trying to capture some of the windfall

shriekingviolet posted:

lumpenstreamer

Edited by solidar ()

If you took every aspiring and made professional streamer, logged their hours, divided by the total income in the streaming industry, and spat out the rate. It would be like $0.01/100 hours. Imagine for a second if the there was such thing as collective consciousnesses. Like ants or something. Or communism. No self-respecting ant colony hive-mind would even entertain the idea of streaming for a fraction of a second. I think they would rather walk into the death-ray of a magnifying glass.

hey posted:

If you took every aspiring and made professional streamer, logged their hours, divided by the total income in the streaming industry, and spat out the rate. It would be like $0.01/100 hours. Imagine for a second if the there was such thing as collective consciousnesses. Like ants or something. Or communism. No self-respecting ant colony hive-mind would even entertain the idea of streaming for a fraction of a second. I think they would rather walk into the death-ray of a magnifying glass.

Most streamers do it as a hobby to hang out with random people on the internet which is fine. Not everyone who plays League of Legends on camera needs to be given a wage for it. For many, it's worth doing without monetization not an intolerable labor they grind through for the promise of being the next one to make it big. I mean there's definitely an element of setting up unrealistic dreams in people who want to get famous, but like should we stop playing pickup basketball and march into the magnifying glass because the NBA doesn't send us checks for it?

colddays posted:

hey posted:

Most streamers do it as a hobby to hang out with random people on the internet which is fine. Not everyone who plays League of Legends on camera needs to be given a wage for it. For many, it's worth doing without monetization not an intolerable labor they grind through for the promise of being the next one to make it big. I mean there's definitely an element of setting up unrealistic dreams in people who want to get famous, but like should we stop playing pickup basketball and march into the magnifying glass because the NBA doesn't send us checks for it?

buddy, if you're trying to convince me that "people" want to "hangout" with "random" "people" on the "internet" just for "fun", you're gonna have a pretty hard time. I've worked through blood sweat and tears to get a decent paycheck for posting. "hanging" out on the internet is not some kind of "hobby". It's hard work and god damn it you're not going to take that away from. The Miner's son doesn't run water down to the shaft entrance because he just wants to hang out with the big boys, he wants to swing a pick one day. something to think about

i started at $.50 per post. through hard work and diligence i now receive $.50 per post

hey posted:

colddays posted:

hey posted:

buddy, if you're trying to convince me that "people" want to "hangout" with "random" "people" on the "internet" just for "fun", you're gonna have a pretty hard time. I've worked through blood sweat and tears to get a decent paycheck for posting. "hanging" out on the internet is not some kind of "hobby". It's hard work and god damn it you're not going to take that away from. The Miner's son doesn't run water down to the shaft entrance because he just wants to hang out with the big boys, he wants to swing a pick one day. something to think about

i sure as shit didnt spend four years getting a criminal justice degree and 20 weeks training at quantico all leading up to my current job posting on the rhizzone to have it be denigrated as a "hobby"

sovnarkoman posted:

*banevoice* yes, the cracker isis

thought of this again today

WETH NO SUVIVAS
just snorted half a cup of coffee out of my nose

just snorted a whole cup of coffee up my nose like a wetvac
[account deactivated]

Edited by cars ()

been interesting to see people try to paint the virtual YouTube phenomenon as attempting to reduce women to the cutesy cartoons the talent wears as masks. Because the top virtual YouTube personalities shook out to be mostly women or groups of women using the semi-protection of their avatars to preserve their platform- & shareholder-skimmed income as they tell explicit & self-deprecating body-humor jokes, or jokes about neglecting personal hygiene as a lifestyle, or they engage in different types of shock humor, or they make L.A.-Beast-style sideshow-tent videos, or Masaokis videos where they try to prepare simple meals but end up with piles of burning slime etc. All humor around how they're real people with real bodies in a real world & showing how that can be funny.

Most of them have more important things going on, like, they come across as laid-back people having a good time with friends, but part of their core appeal is how they present themselves as funny opposites of their pro-commissioned, PG-rated avatars and personas, including how quickly they abandon any quasi-fictional persona that matches their cartoon masks & start making fun of that too. Even all the established earners who aren't like this are trying to pivot toward it by proving they can say a Cuss. Like there is probably no quicker remote-delivery antidote for Western stereotypes about Japanese women born & raised in Japan than watching a few of those clips in a row, not that I think it'll sink in or anything.

one time a friend from school was visiting town and we were supposed to meet up with some other people, but he ended up on the wrong side of the street. When he saw me on the other side, he started doing the gangnam style dance on the sidewalk until traffic had passed and he could walk across. I thought it was an imaginative & entertaining way of dealing with an awkward situation, specifically that he should have been on the correct side of the street not wasting my time.

cars posted:

been interesting to see people try to paint the virtual YouTube phenomenon as attempting to reduce women to the cutesy cartoons the talent wears as masks. Because the top virtual YouTube personalities shook out to be mostly women or groups of women using the semi-protection of their avatars to preserve their platform- & shareholder-skimmed income as they tell explicit & self-deprecating body-humor jokes, or jokes about neglecting personal hygiene as a lifestyle, or they engage in different types of shock humor, or they make L.A.-Beast-style sideshow-tent videos, or Masaokis videos where they try to prepare simple meals but end up with piles of burning slime etc. All humor around how they're real people with real bodies in a real world & showing how that can be funny.

Most of them have more important things going on, like, they come across as laid-back people having a good time with friends, but part of their core appeal is how they present themselves as funny opposites of their pro-commissioned, PG-rated avatars and personas, including how quickly they abandon any quasi-fictional persona that matches their cartoon masks & start making fun of that too. Even all the established earners who aren't like this are trying to pivot toward it by proving they can say a Cuss. Like there is probably no quicker remote-delivery antidote for Western stereotypes about Japanese women born & raised in Japan than watching a few of those clips in a row, not that I think it'll sink in or anything.

yeah i watch tana mongeau too

[account deactivated]
inspirational. Alright, I'll be the 'active' video game dev, who wants to be my partner?

cars posted:

life for Cuban youth is a living hell of brutal five string supremacy and compulsory attendance at outdoor rock fusion events. witness the torment of these most innocent of victims, many of whom hobbled to the grounds on legs broken by Communist doctors as an incompetent treatment for rickets.

these nickelback looking fuckers were first paid in American dollars to regale the wan youth with physical hygiene propaganda, then executed an hour later for unauthorized political heroism. paging alanis morrissette, because the irony ship is setting sail from Havana and everyone on board hates dave coulier.