A Bitter Election. Accusations of Fraud. And Now Second Thoughts.

A close look at Bolivian election data suggests an initial analysis by the O.A.S. that raised questions of vote-rigging — and helped force out a president — was flawed.

congratulations to the winners of the wikipedia vandalism contest

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/06/10/wikipedia-formally-censors-the-grayzone-as-regime-change-advocates-monopolize-editing/
free consultant sampler for the big boys at CNN: if you want to run a sympathy story to convince people that these aren't actual spies who were charged with espionage because they were in fact spying, maybe don't lead with this particular picture

they have the same factory default smirk

I've got a headline for a CNN story about spies... it starts with "Spies Like Us:"
Management of The Tennessean is investigating after a full-page ad ran in the Sunday print edition of the newspaper that claimed that Nashville will be destroyed in a nuclear attack by Islam in July.

id post the rest of the article but it spirals into madness from that relatively cogent lede, and is actually a real thing that happened, in the newspaper
hell, this Islam character sounds like he has some good ideas
Al Qaeda guy exhausted while lugging a suitcase nuke through Tennessee: "Come to the Smoky Mountains they said... it'll be fuuuuun they said.... pfft... I should've stayed home and -- wait is that a statue of Dolly Parton?"
nuke Nashville to make way for a cracker ISIS
make sure to wait until after the legislative session closes or yr just shooting yrself in the foot
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/22/magazine/lori-lightfoot-chicago-police.html

Lori Lightfoot, Mayor of Chicago, on Who’s Hurt by Defunding Police
“You are eliminating one of the few tools that the city has to create middle-class incomes for black and brown folks.”

Desperation from the ruling class to trot out this line from the first black lesbian comprador

she's right, defund the police = money goes *poof*
look, this isn't hard to understand: the blood money circulating the US financial system is metaphysically allergic to being employed for productive public works. if you try using it to give people good jobs involving anything other than oppressive brutality it breaks out hives and swells up too much to be usable in bank machines. that's just science.
Headline: Three police officers fired in North Carolina over racial slurs video

Article text: Three North Carolina police officers have been fired after a recorded conversation where they talked about slaughtering black people, used racial slurs, and spoke of the need for a second civil war.

O_o
https://www.wired.com/story/the-phone-call-from-hell

Jared had wanted to see combat, but the reality of it hit him harder than he'd imagined. He was terrified one night when his base came under rocket fire. Two of his buddies were blown up in a truck. But that wasn't the worst of it. Jared told his brother about one particular firefight where he was blasting away with the .50-caliber gun. “I don't know for sure, but I might have killed a child,” he told Jacob. He didn't want to say much more about it.

oh no the poor tortured american hero who may have slaughtered a child in a country he decided to invade

But from time to time, he still cruised dating sites, and in early September he came across the pretty blonde who said her name was Caroline Harris. The two chatted on the dating app. When she said, “I'll be 18 in a few weeks,” he replied, “Oh that's cool when will you be 18?”

and who talks to underage girls on dating sites

(skipping over: someone contacts him claiming to be the "girl"s parents, tries to get $ out of our poor amerikan hero)

Jacob bolted to Jared's door; it was locked. He fumbled a key from his pocket and burst into the room. Jared lay on his bed, wearing a mint-green T-shirt, propped up by a pillow, his face gray. For a second Jacob thought he was taking a nap. Then he saw the gun in Jared's right hand and the blood all over the wall.

Jared had shot himself within minutes of the final text from James Harris. She is going to the police and you are going to jail. He died at noon.

it's hard to tell, since the subject didn't even merit a full sentence, but i hope our poor jared was also thinking of the child he murdered when he pulled the trigger

Kathy was frightened, but she wrote back. She had already begun to suspect things were not as they appeared—why else all the insistence on money? Sure enough, over a series of messages, Angel Amongus revealed that there was no Mr. and Mrs. Harris. But this was no garden-variety con job, Angel explained. The scammers, like the anonymous informant himself, were prisoners in South Carolina's Lee Correctional Institution.

“I went down on my knees and started screaming,” Kathy says. “It was so unbelievable.” She immediately called Jared's dad, Kevin. “Our son was scammed by fucking prisoners!” she howled.

it's different if he's scammed by a bank or insurance company, you see

The pretty teenage girl Jared thought he was flirting with was, according to charges later filed by local authorities, two thickset, middle-aged, male inmates working contraband cell phones. Jared, it turns out, was just one of hundreds of US military service members and veterans suckered by a massive wave of catfishing scams launched from South Carolina correctional facilities over the past few years.

red salute to two thickset, middle-aged, male inmates

Inmates do use phones to report abuses and human rights violations to journalists and others on the outside. More often they just want to call their families and friends without prison officials listening in. But they can also put the devices to terrifying use. In Alabama, prison extortionists have sent menacing texts and photos to other inmates' relatives, threatening to rape or murder their fellow prisoners unless the family pays a ransom. In Georgia, a baby was killed in a shooting allegedly ordered by an incarcerated gang leader via phone.

killing babies is fine when white amerikkkan SSoldiers do it (as long as they're romantically tortured enough), but not when 'menacing' 'extortionst' inmates do it. also sometimes they need phones to report human rights violations but that's not important.

Whatever happens to Smith and Dobbins, Jared's family will never fully recover. Jacob lost his job after Jared's death because he was too distraught to function at work. He has nightmares every night and has had suicidal thoughts of his own. It's especially rough when Jaxon mistakes Jacob for his daddy. Kathy is so consumed with grief at times, she says, she can't cope with the basics of everyday life. She has developed ulcers she blames on the stress. She's so afraid of the scammers that she's started carrying a Taser. Kevin keeps a gun on his nightstand.

keeping a gun on my nightstand to shoot the phone if it rings.

One thing that does keep both Kathy and Kevin going is advocating for prisons to be allowed to block cell signals. “Those jammers should have been put in a long time ago,” Kathy says. “Those men were behind bars, but they were able to bully and shame and scare my son to death.” In March, several members of Congress introduced twin bills that would allow correctional facilities to jam cell phones. Kevin and Kathy are hoping to join Bryan Stirling in testifying in support of it. Neither bill has made much progress.

and of course the solution to the problem of the victimized amerikkkan soldier is to deny even more basic rights to the incarcerated. the only way this white mother's grief for her dead SSoldier SSon will be alleviated is if prisoners can't (as even the fucking article admits) use phones to report human rights violations.

in conclusion, death to amerikkka

lol the kids named jaxon, what a stupid ass name
Lol at wired magazine publishing shit like that after coming up on a mid 90s wave of internet libertarianism and hacking/phreaking fetishism. one minute its all "captain crunch is a bad ass dude" the next is "can we as a society be lax about prisoners having cellphones??"

againstthemoon posted:

*was named jaxon

This taser I’m carrying? You might think it’s indicative of my settler mindset, but it’s actually to protect myself from cell phones.
[account deactivated]
i love how that story delicately steps around the fact that a shitload of pederast troops have undoubtedly been catfished by these heroic prisoners over the years
ed: wrong thread
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i installed a pi hole (a dns sinkhole for ads/tracking) onto my network and that combined with umatrix on my browsers has eliminated ever running into paywalls for sites that don't just require a login on first click. highly recommend it (not to mention the benefits of blocking all ads ever including on your phone & other devices w/o extensions). a raspberry pi zero to run it costs just $5 too.

Edited by aerdil ()

i have an old pi collecting dust somewhere and i really ought to use it for that. i already use browser extensions to block almost everything so the big appeal for me is (hopefully) blocking youtube ads on the couple of devices i can't otherwise do that on. any parent who tells you they don't depend on youtube sometimes for kids entertainment is a liar, a hippy, or both.
wrong thread

aerdil posted:

i installed a pi hole (a dns sinkhole for ads/tracking) onto my network and that combined with umatrix on my browsers has eliminated ever running into paywalls for sites that don't just require a login on first click. highly recommend it (not to mention the benefits of blocking all ads ever including on your phone & other devices w/o extensions). a raspberry pi zero to run it costs just $5 too.

the paywall serves as an important reminder that you almost read bullshit and should turn back immediately. disable it at your own peril, imo

Parenti posted:

againstthemoon posted:

*was named jaxon

they changed it to jaxoff

the myth of brit proletariat
apparently the lesswrong scarequotes rationalist types have declared a totally rational culture war against traditional news media because of a petty spat between slate star codex and the NYT

everyone's tripping over each other in a race to embarrass themselves and i'm really happy to watch
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

how do i, a dumb person, do this on chrome

i did the pihole thing for a minute and it worked really well for everything mobile (aka the mobile web was suddenly almost tolerable, a little), but i had trouble configuring it perfectly so i ended up repurposing that pi for getting my dreamcast back online, which was rewarding in a different way
there's a lot of pretty good black and whitelists you can throw in to make things a lot better too

aerdil posted:

there's a lot of pretty good black and whitelists you can throw in to make things a lot better too

yeah ikaruga's pretty good

npr was doing a news story on the term limit referendum in russia, played a clip of a political rally where folks were chanting "россия с путиным" and helpfully translated this as "russia without putin"
Hans Moleman voice: I was saying Russia without Putin
My name is Ivan Moleskovi and neoliberalism has ruined my life, I'm 29 years old.