actually, if you simply review the critical consensus on TLOU you'll find that the unique and unprecedented genius of developer naughty dog is that they applied a new, innovative technique known as "linear storytelling" to turn the lamest possible oscarbait movie into a movie
tfw you want to play 90s japanese cyberpunk games and find out most of them are just hentai visual novels

try "hagane" on snes. i assume you've played snatcher already

edit:

kamelred posted:

try "hagane" on snes.

thanks, i will. i've never finished snatcher but i will some day i'm sure.

Well
indie video game dev update: been working on my indie video game, and this is my honest promise to you, the gamer: i will never respect israel in my indie video game, no way, im not gonna do it

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

thanks, i will. i've never finished snatcher but i will some day i'm sure.

I remember wishing I didn't finish snatcher because I found the last third to be so stupid. nevertheless, you should finish it

tears posted:

indie video game dev update: been working on my indie video game, and this is my honest promise to you, the gamer: i will never respect israel in my indie video game, no way, im not gonna do it

gamer salute

last month's games:

97, 18, 11, 29, 13, 15, 26, 77, 7, 4 - average of 29.7

this month's games

13, 42, 8, 70, 22, 7, 24, 11, 32, 50 - average of 27.9

verdict; i have not improved

best game starts at 3:45 if u want to watch.
incredible that in an era of pseudo-8bit overdeveloped homages the ancient original nes tetris gui still holds up, crisp and clean. just absolute perfection
much respect to thief for giving you, the player, level maps that are only as good as what garrett would know about the location, which can be basically nothing. going insane because you've just spent 20 minutes running around a maze of burrick tunnels you suspect might be a giant cul-de-sac? hit the map key for a helpful message: "where am I?"

thirdplace posted:

i enjoyed disco elysium, the game about the alcoholic cop stumbling around in a post-counter-revolutionary slum

i'm going through it right now and the dialogue is something special

I've modded fallout 4 to look like it's being played on an old VHS. I've also found a mod that adds a radio station that plays kmart music from 1988 to 1991.
god damn the aesthetic of those disco elysium screenshots is offputting. pathologic ass ugly

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

god damn the aesthetic of those disco elysium screenshots is offputting. pathologic ass ugly

wrong... about both games!

pathologic looks really sick though

lo posted:

pathologic looks really sick though

okay pathologic looks fine
the only videogame I've played this year is black mesa, the remake of half life 1 that, as the only large scale videogame project that didn't make its devs work 80 hour weeks, took 15 years to make

for some reason they made the levels in the order that they're to be played, so you can see how their skills as devs improved over time. the first few chapters up until on a rail are just HL1 but with better npc AI. At that point the sucky parts of the game are cut down, and outdoor environments become much better and more elaborate. Quality ramps up really high when you find the lab where all the aliens were being experimented on and then it stays high the entire rest of the time.

I won't discuss xen because it needs to be a surprise. Instead I'd like to say the standout part is surface tension, where you are a severely sleep deprived nerd with a ponytail high on opiates and completely unyielding to either side of a galactic war which is unfolding around you. hundreds and hundreds of US marines from the 51st enjoying killing civilians detachment stand in your way, and you squash them because you are smart and honourable and they are moronic evil sadists who deserve it. they send bradleys. You blow it up. they send a tank. You blow it up. they send an Apache gunship. You blow it up with an experimental nuclear energy weapon that has duracells taped to it. You can shoot a US marine in the face with a .50 mounted machine gun and he will explode into separate limbs. You can pick those up and throw them at his friends. They hired a real ex marine to realistically scream and shout in fear and pain. At one point you can hear one bleed out over a radio. Another time you can see a helicopter full of wounded marines get blown up only seconds before a rescue party arrives. In every single moment I could only think about the real life bastards of army and how they too kill civilians, only in far off lands, and how refreshing it is to see a game where they are both humanized and clearly evil, and how you can kill all of them, every single one, and listen to radios of them suffering too, and see them die in fear, and that's good. It's good it happens to them. Death to America, black mesa is Gordon Freeman is Maoist now, I love him and the way the grenade launcher feels and how the marines choke when they say holy shit when you blow up their friend with that grenade launcher. Kill troops. Good night.
i don't like pretentious games so I didn't play the last of us 2. I heard it beats you over the head with "violence is bad" despite having typical killing people feels good gameplay loop so I don't see how people could possibly take it as seriously as it wants to be taken when even San Andreas was criticized for that.

I don't want to play a game where kill a dog and am then played a cutscene of the dog playing fetch 3 days ago in a inane attempt to make me feel guilty. I won't feel guilty because fuck that dog for biting me. I would rather be Dr Gordon Freeman, PhD in walking into a room that you know is an ambush and then surprising the people who were trying to surprise you, by murdering all of them with their own guns and also a crossbow for some reason.
but these are features of the original game - so give credit to HL for the half-intentional anti-imperialist message. when you get to xen in the original HL, it's a factory that mass-produces genetically modified slave-soldiers, with inter-dimensional corporate overlords/stockholders called benefactors, who reduce humans to husks with no other function than manipulating computers. xen wasnt just an ecosystem with nihilanth at the center, its a whole bio warfare division of a fascistic colonizer enterprise. gone from black mesa. zero stars

edit: I might be wrong on many of the details here

Edited by swampman ()

black mesa is cool because the xen redo is both extremely well done and completely lacking in any kind of valve-style tight editing, every aspect (especially from the gonarch on) is so needlessly, mind-blowingly excessive and so out of step with what came before it, it's like playing through tales from topographic oceans in videogame form

swampman posted:

but these are features of the original game - so give credit to HL for the half-intentional anti-imperialist message. when you get to xen in the original HL, it's a factory that mass-produces genetically modified slave-soldiers, with inter-dimensional corporate overlords/stockholders called benefactors, who reduce humans to husks with no other function than manipulating computers. xen wasnt just an ecosystem with nihilanth at the center, its a whole bio warfare division of a fascistic colonizer enterprise. gone from black mesa. zero stars

i know that HL1 had the same themes but i'm talking about the depth of the implementation. HL1 got the basic point across - these are bad guys, who are stupid - but BM shows them doing much more elaborate things in much more elaborate environments. In HL1 you find out that the military is losing the war because a voice on a radio basically says "fuck it we're bailing". In BM you see them lose control of territory right before your eyes and how they scramble to respond. HL1 could never do something like the osprey evacuation, it never mixed AI behavior with scripted story beats. Even early chapters where its much closer to HL1's scope benefit a lot from the remake, because friendly NPCs have so much more to do and will behave and talk differently depending on how many people you have with you.

I don't understand what you meant about xen and its themes being gone. BM xen developed it to the point where you can see the whole of the slave society and how individuals respond to their chains, and how they respond to their master being shot in the face with a rocket launcher. It's like 2 hours of exploring the most beautiful jungle ever and then another 6 hours of being John Brown In Power Armor.

For comparison I went back and played HL2 and its very boring. I don't like Alyx, it feels like they thought that a silent protagonist was a limitation of the Serious Storytelling they wanted to do, and so to thought that the solution was to give gordon a girlfriend who can feel emotions for him. I especially don't like how it's approach to telling a story is to have you finish shooting all the bad guys in an area, walk into a room and lock the door, and then watch a bunch of NPCs interact with each other while ignoring you for five minutes before one of them opens the door and ushers you out into the next shooting gallery. Thats significantly worse than original HL1, where you learned the story by observing how the world changes around you. Also the airboat section is too long.

HL1 was such a good game, I’ll check out black Mesa again. I played a bit of it in 2015 or so when it wasn’t finished.

HL2 was also good just considering the bridge sequence alone. I still listen to the soundtrack for that part.

Any other games where the US military is the antagonist ?
I can't think of any. There was that spec ops one (?) but that was mostly "war is bad". games industry is in bed with military so it's going to have to come from somewhere outside of the industry

Horselord posted:

I don't understand what you meant about xen and its themes being gone. BM xen developed it to the point where you can see the whole of the slave society and how individuals respond to their chains, and how they respond to their master being shot in the face with a rocket launcher. It's like 2 hours of exploring the most beautiful jungle ever and then another 6 hours of being John Brown In Power Armor.

Ok. Look. I turned the game off in boredom before I got to that part. so I may have done a no investigation. I am sorry to everyone I hurt or killed. I am still not going to re install it. And, if we talk abotu black mesa again I will continue to make the same unfounded accusations, but next time I"ll be more correct when I make them.

dimashq posted:

Alien vs predator

dimashq posted:

Black Mesa

dimashq posted:

yes

dimashq posted:

fallout 3

In new vegas you can convince the ex enclave guys to go on last operation to help the NCR. For their work in helping secure hoover dam they get tried and killed as war criminals.

dimashq posted:

I found a website that has user submitted nonograms and even has color puzzles https://www.nonograms.org/

dimashq posted:

the greatest game of all: Real life

[account deactivated]
Playing the wasteland series again in anticipation of wasteland the thirds release.
oh cool Half Life 3 is out?? word to your mother Homeslice.