I think the thing that will prevent this uprising from being as futile as Occupy is that right off the bat it's focused on confronting racism and police in some way or another, and has the BLM movement at its core. This might be completely conjecture but I feel like Occupy from the start had assorted Ron Paul types, green party esque hippies, perhaps even laroucheite types--for example the Sam Hyde crew was pro Occupy in the day. To say nothing of the fact that it was chocked full of whites generally, read settlers, etc, I'm sure you all know the drill. I feel like there's actually not a lot of parallels to Occupy outside of CHAZ, which is a good thing--the 99% obfuscates contradictions whereas fuck the police highlights them. Anyways I've returned from the wilderness to post facile takes again

rolaids posted:

I think the thing that will prevent this uprising from being as futile as Occupy is that right off the bat it's focused on confronting racism and police in some way or another, and has the BLM movement at its core. This might be completely conjecture but I feel like Occupy from the start had assorted Ron Paul types, green party esque hippies, perhaps even laroucheite types--for example the Sam Hyde crew was pro Occupy in the day. To say nothing of the fact that it was chocked full of whites generally, read settlers, etc, I'm sure you all know the drill. I feel like there's actually not a lot of parallels to Occupy outside of CHAZ, which is a good thing--the 99% obfuscates contradictions whereas fuck the police highlights them. Anyways I've returned from the wilderness to post facile takes again

right from the jump we were seeing all kinds of violent white adventurism, most of it apolitical (not that it matters), and now that it's gay pride month, the movement for black lives has to wear that albatross around its neck now too.

cars posted:

mods please ban the OP, who is mustang, on his “stalin genocided non-whites” psycho Twitter thing. thank you.

Edited by tears ()

oilyechidna posted:

and now that it's gay pride month, the movement for black lives has to wear that albatross around its neck now too.

'God save thee, movement for black lives!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!—
Why look'st thou so?'—With my cross-bow
I shot the GAY PRIDE MONTH.

Black people may have to be a little gay this month, to their disadvantage.

tears posted:

'God save thee, movement for black lives!
From the fiends, that plague thee thus!—
Why look'st thou so?'—With my cross-bow
I shot the GAY PRIDE MONTH.

lol i knew you wouldn't like that

dimashq posted:

Black people may have to be a little gay this month, to their disadvantage.

well i'm sure it's to someone's advantage

swampman posted:

I think defunding the police, even a shitty compromise budget reduction that leaves police intact, opens up room for advancement on all other fronts, including squatting of vacant property which is what we could have just all done in the first place.

My issue with that is why give states the perfect excuse to just privatize policing? You'll have the same number of police with all the same weapons, just making a lower wage.

WHy Cops Don't Deserve Less, by FOrums poster oilyechidna
rest in peace greasymonotreme
I know the police get a lot of crap here, but I've seen Robocop. It's nuts out there rapists with machine guns, gangs armed with 50 caliber sniper rifles, cocaine everywhere. Every officer is lucky to survive another on day on the beat, and that's just in Detroit. Thanks to Robocop, which exists despite dreadfully low police funding, we're finally seeing the war on crime turn around in favor of common decency and Star Bucks windows. Now I don't know about you, but until the Clarence Bodicker gang is dispatched I don't feel save getting rid of the police.
'stang kept a lid on it a little longer than usual this time. even so - nul points

oilyechidna posted:

swampman posted:

I think defunding the police, even a shitty compromise budget reduction that leaves police intact, opens up room for advancement on all other fronts, including squatting of vacant property which is what we could have just all done in the first place.

My issue with that is why give states the perfect excuse to just privatize policing? You'll have the same number of police with all the same weapons, just making a lower wage.

Good point. I suppose if you paid the police less, they would probably have more ability to do whatever they want. If they made minimum wage they would probably invest all that in home kilns and freight trains that they will use to cremate undesirables. What we should probably do is give them all huge raises. Then, when they are out celebrating at the police bars, we sneak into the precinct and schedule them all for 0 hours.

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

'stang kept a lid on it a little longer than usual this time. even so - nul points

i don't think that poster is him since while there is some similarity in topics they seem much less unhinged and their writing style is different. mustang always immediately starts posting about stalin killing non whites whenever he makes a new account

i don't think it's really him either but their posts are almost as unproductive and deliberately inflammatory imo
I'd be a lot more worried about privatizing police if the democratic control of the ostensibly public police seemed to work for shit

thirdplace posted:

I'd be a lot more worried about privatizing police if the democratic control of the ostensibly public police seemed to work for shit

this is not an endorsement of the concept, but the entrenched system in the untied states is such a fucking mess that a privatized police force would probably be vastly more accountable and controlled.

for the first time in history corporate cops would be seated across the table from the slimiest union busting lawyers on the planet and watch their privileged bargaining power dissolve into air as they lose the legal protections of public servants. cutting costs to Enhance Shareholder Value would start squeezing away at aviation and militant units, and would minimize stocks on hand of weapons and ammunition. Kop Korp isn't going to let some pig cost them a few million dollars in brutality and wrongful death suits, he's out on his ass before rising insurance costs mean they can't compete with Amazon Police Prime and lose contracts. facilities and equipment for weapons and tactical training are expensive, social skills training requires a few desks and a social worker and lets the swine resources department document their attendence and scores to be able to fire them as a low performer at any time like a barista who's bus got stuck in traffic.

No one should have to live under the precarity and corporate oppression of the lowest caste of american workers, but it is amusing to at least imagine the pigs being condemned to do so, if they continue to exist, which they should not.

it's fun to think about and it's all just speculation, but I think the likely and horrid outcome would be a public-private partnership thing like ambulances/hospitals where police continue receiving millions in state subsidies, but with even less oversight and accountability.
I do think it would be bad to Make Robocop Real, but I just don't see it as being sufficiently worse than the status quo to work as a boogieman when it's only one possibility out of a great many
"private police" already exist - it's the real life paul blarts and the handful of merc companies that have to change their name every 3 years cause the public mostly hates them if they can remember who they are. "finally the left have built some traction around 'abolish the police' now is our chance to drop the decades of mythologizing we've pushed around the cops and military being heroes and have mall cops and blackwater take over - this was our plan all along" mhm sure

the premise of robocop was that society was collapsing... if the boogieman is "this might weaken capitalist states and then fascists might try to grab/hold power through private means" i'm not sure what to even say

Edited by solidar ()

This is why the best slogan is “Police the police!” because it implies struggle against class power by means of establishing an opposing force. Rather than “abolishing” power or taking money away from class hegemony or whatever.

dimashq posted:

Doing domestic Gladio but one aspect of it is a bunch of off duty cops shooting off roman candles to annoy their neighbors, a certified American klassic
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

I do think it would be bad to Make Robocop Real, but I just don't see it as being sufficiently worse than the status quo to work as a boogieman when it's only one possibility out of a great many

Robocop tossed a CEO out of a skyscraper though. Would regular cops do that? Worth thinking about.

trakfactri posted:

thirdplace posted:

Robocop tossed a CEO out of a skyscraper though. Would regular cops do that? Worth thinking about.

RoboCop is prevented from killing corporate president Dick Jones by his programming, until Jones is summarily fired (and given no chance to appeal the firing) by the CEO of Omni Consumer Products. There is no indication that OCP is later nationalised, broken up under antitrust statutes, or dissolved and responsibly liquidated.

[account deactivated]
posting to test my new avatar

aerdil posted:

toyot posted:

“I visited the 'new' Capitol Hill today in Seattle. Everything you are hearing on the news is lies. Everything the mayor and police chief and the president are telling you or alluding to or warning you about is false.

There are no militants surrounding the area. There is no money being demanded to enter. Business are open and selling to patrons. There is no violence. There is no destruction. Nothing is "under siege". Nothing has been "seized".

The police left the area of their own accord 3 days ago. They conceded. And just like that, peace fell up on the land. Nothing has happened to their building. No one has broken in and destroyed it. There is graffiti on the fencing they installed. It says we have reclaimed our city.

There are people in a square sharing their stories and public speaking. People are sitting down on the ground and quietly listening. In the park nearby, there are new community gardens. Children are planting vegetables and flowers.

There are first aid tents, that are no longer needed, which is good because the police aimed their attack directly at them so many nights. There are free services everywhere. There are people doing yoga, reading, talking, dancing.

There is music in the air. There is food and water all over! For free! Donated by the citizens of Seattle and local restaurants. Caribbean food plates. Snacks. Water. Free. Everywhere. For everyone.

There are no police. There is no violence. It is a glimpse into utopia. It is a glimmer of heaven. For now.

Listening to Jenny Durkan and Carmen Best on the way there, I *should* have been prepared for SUCH a different view based on their lies. It must be utterly miserable to live in their fear, to be compelled to share that fear with other people. To need other people to be scared with you. That's some validation sickness right there.

Listening KOMO news on the way home, and them talking about how their reporter is afraid of the "MOBTOWN" and was going to do his report from a rooftop so he could avoid "MOBTOWN", made me sick inside my heart.

I can't believe our local news is feeding you this garbage. But what can I expect from a news agency that is trying so hard to be relevant, they are still running videos of violence almost 2 weeks old, as their FB banner. I am embarrassed for them.

The mendacious media, and gassy blimp Trump, and anyone else who is trying to instill fear in you over this amazing transformation from the absolutely police-fueled violence a few days ago in the area, is your enemy. People that lie to you do not care about you. They are not well.

The people I was with today, in the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone should be giving CLASSES on basic empathy and compassion for others to every politician, police officer, and person of power alive today and forevermore. The world could be so much better with a little more heart.

So please. Go see for yourself. You will be amazed at the beauty that has emerged from the chaos. You will think twice about swallowing those sound bites that constantly poison the airwaves. They are lying to you. We are peaceful.

To to the media involved: You can help as we ask, support us as needed, or just get out of the way and leave us alone. Stop straight LYING for cred. It makes you ugly, and I can't trust you.

Seattle is beautiful, and we are doing just fine.

This is a photo today of your "Antifa terrorists who have taken over Seattle by force!"

sounds about white

hmmm

lol, what transparently terrible 'leadership' from these vultures.
at the very least i would have hoped for a shift to more municipal / neighborhood irl assembly based organizing, but transitioning to a virtual activism that's 'safe for everyone' literally means zero threat to status quo. such poverty of imagination where revolutionary change is a vote for joe. this is worse outcome than occupy, a speedy and successful cooptation, cynical and stillborn. thanks whitey.

shriekingviolet posted:

i'd genuinely love to be surprised here but, y'know. fool me once,

Listen to that song at least once every couple of months, I truly can’t believe it exists
the music video is even better
france? WRONG!

#id400544
[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/544U0hc.jpg

yes im the official leader of chop *points to twitter account with official chop in the name*

Gssh posted:

lol, what transparently terrible 'leadership' from these vultures.
at the very least i would have hoped for a shift to more municipal / neighborhood irl assembly based organizing, but transitioning to a virtual activism that's 'safe for everyone' literally means zero threat to status quo. such poverty of imagination where revolutionary change is a vote for joe. this is worse outcome than occupy, a speedy and successful cooptation, cynical and stillborn. thanks whitey.

its fake

excuse me but CNN (Cable News Network) linked to it in a news article, and i won't stand by and listen to someone denigrate professional journalism on this web forum, sir.
you can see that chop twitter account get co-opted in real time...

[account deactivated]