if u have fun, just click through and enjoy the atmosphere, you'll realize twenty years from now your playstyle has become what toyot & i have described without any conscious effort our decision on your part

drwhat posted:

ignore all this bullshit and just enjoy playing the goddamn game and clicking on whatever feels right in the moment. playing games to minmax and win rather than soaking in the atmosphere, becoming immersed, and living amongst the virtual people is a 59th form of liberalism

looks like someone didn't read david sirloin's world historic masterpiece Playing to Win

招瑤 posted:

if u have fun, just click through and enjoy the atmosphere, you'll realize twenty years from now your playstyle has become what toyot & i have described without any conscious effort our decision on your part

and, you'll have had fun

okay cryptofash shit is one thing but are we really going to tolerate storygaming on this forum
so anyway, i was sitting there in the planetary council and this oaf of a councilor that dierdre sent was prattling away about some farm blight which i didn't even know about until just then ;) then he gets all up i my face about genetic warfarr and some other crap and insists that the un sends inspectors to the research lab at zvezdny gorodok, and to the provost's fucking house as if he had a little secret genejack factory in his living room. i tell him okay go to the lab if that's what you want, your not going to find anything, but the academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the genetic inspectors. we possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt

drwhat posted:

ignore all this bullshit and just enjoy playing the goddamn game and clicking on whatever feels right in the moment.

I do this in counterstrike and it usually leads to me being kicked for teamkilling

fine, ill gm your stupid game, fucking hurry up and roll up your characters or whatever, jesus

drwhat posted:

ignore all this bullshit and just enjoy playing the goddamn game and clicking on whatever feels right in the moment. playing games to minmax and win rather than soaking in the atmosphere, becoming immersed, and living amongst the virtual people is a 59th form of liberalism

i gave up on immersion a long time ago. i play to minmax, level up, whatever, and i listen to crap on youtube to get through the boring parts. though there are some games with good storylines, interactive story telling as a medium never really went anywhere. what is the difference between a movie and a movie you have to push buttons while you watch?

picked up dungeon crawl stone soup
I don't mean "watch cutscenes", I'm suggesting that single player games are more fun when you figure out how to play them yourself and you don't know the optimal strategies.

drwhat posted:

I don't mean "watch cutscenes", I'm suggesting that single player games are more fun when you figure out how to play them yourself and you don't know the optimal strategies.

i wholeheartedly agree, which is why it's important that we tell people this optimal strategy of how to have fun, instead of letting them figure it out for themselves

thanks I'm dead now due to logic
lol imagine having fun while playing a videogame
imagine being forced to have fun

shriekingviolet posted:

drwhat posted:

i wholeheartedly agree, which is why it's important that we tell people this optimal strategy of how to have fun, instead of letting them figure it out for themselves

you can't escape the meta and once you find out what it is, you might as well throw the game in the trash.

Ive been playing online puzzles like the ones found on www.puzzles-bridges.com
domai seems to be insanely handicapped by his horrible -2 research trait and every time i play him i get a horrible starting position right next to a huge xenofungal bloom, so i have concluded that the alien crossfire expansion for sid meiers alpha centauri is reactionary trash

re: metas, ive spent an inordinate amt of my life playing competitive multiplayer videogames so i think at this point i enjoy finding "optimal strategies" and such, though in alpha centauri ive mostly been doing light roleplay as the more planet-friendly factions
the biggest advantage of planet-friendly factions is that you're less likely to lose bases to randomly appearing insanely large stacks of chiron locusts in the late game as sea level rises wipe out your beautifully landscaped garden paradise
[account deactivated]
what's the craziest thing u ever seen while smoking a joint

e: correction on that article, it was several times brighter than the faintest visible stars

Edited by zhaoyao ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

back with more tetris, i might make this a monthly thing. i've decided that in order to judge if i'm improving or not i'll play 10 games on level 19 and take the average lines as my final score

last months 10 games:

18, 6, 14, 21, 4, 31, 5, 6, 33, 7 - average of 14.5 lines

this months video:

97, 18, 11, 29, 13, 15, 26, 77, 7, 4 - average of 29.7

verdict; i have improved. although mostly on the back of two big outliers, so idk.

my best game is at the start of the video so i guess that's the one to watch. at 5:25 i set up for and get a tetris which im pretty glad about. i think that's the only one in the two videos ive posted so far

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

still too lazy to play any game other than csgo and i keep deranking hell yeah
I played Nier: Automata and it was amazing. The first non-abstract video game I'd be comfortable arguing is really a piece of art, in which the storytelling and gameplay go hand in hand.
i havent played cs in like 3 years but i remember what helped me not derank was playing a lot of headshot-only dm with the sound off, just muscle memory stuff i guess. my computers hardware wasnt able to keep up with the updates so i cant really play it any more but if i eventually build a new pc ill probably fall back down that hole
Played World of Horror, a rogue like in beta. Buggy with crashes and too short but loved the style, essentially Junji Ito plus Lovecraft.

What’s the deal with this Last of Us 2 shit, why are nerds soyfacing about it/is it in fact bad like all the edgelords say
its no worse than the first one from what i can tell
I've tried to play the first one twice now and quickly stopped both times. Felt like a cliche-ridden movie peppered with a bunch of clunky unfun gameplay. A friend of mine who loved the first one is playing the second and telling me about it as he progresses, he's probably about three quarters through it and says all he really wants is a game where you wander around a beautiful abandoned city and DON'T have to stab anyone in the neck.
[account deactivated]

rolaids posted:

What’s the deal with this Last of Us 2 shit, why are nerds soyfacing about it/is it in fact bad like all the edgelords say

They're mad in their butts because the two player avatars are women and one of them's gay and the other one beats the player avatar from the first game, a middle-aged man, to death with a golf club.

Personally I think any new media about "zombies" should be prevented by force of arms, as Karl Marx would do.
TLOU Deus
defending the bolivarian revolution, by fuckign up the western imperialist alexander the "great" as simón bolívar in civ vi

rolaids posted:

part of it is typical reactionary gamerbro stuff but there are legitimate problems too. the pacing is all over the place, there are a million flashbacks, some of which serve barely any purpose. way too many fake-out endings and after you've seen the 5th one in a row you're wondering why you wasted any time watching it.

it looks like someone turned the lamest possble oscarbait movie into a game