*logging on*

oh! a new cars post! :-D

oh, it's in the star trek thread. >:-(
*logging on*

oh! a new cars post! :-D

oh! it's in the star trek thread! >:-)
[account deactivated]
Deep space nine is now anime. The other Star Trek shows and movies are still not anime but no one knows what the future holds, for Star Trek.
Is deep space nein worth watching if you enjoyed TNG?
Yes, I like Next Generation fine but Deep Space Nine is a better use of the same general setting in pretty much every way
Bold move to show New York City as part of slave-dependent dystopia The Dominion but I have to respect it.

Populares posted:

Is deep space nein worth watching if you enjoyed TNG?

yes, it took the best elements of tng and the best characters of tng and put them into an infinitely superior show

I harsh on Trek a lot and even I like DS9

cars posted:

Bold move to show New York City as part of slave-dependent dystopia The Dominion but I have to respect it.

Similar setup

cars posted:

so i've been trying to get through Star Trek: Enterprise recently

being the post 9/11 show, it was understandably ramped up with all the americana bullshit, as the title sequence and absurd theme music indicates

interestingly, they changed the title sequence for a two-part special set in the mirror universe (EARTH BAD GUYS)

the imagery drops the americana shit for Stuka dive-bombers and various Soviet aircraft, including the MiG-25/MiG-31, T-72 tanks, and Buk SAMs

enterprise gets fun starting third season when they remake Voyager but about 9/11 and it’s still better than Voyager
starting with season 3, the first half of the “they will cancel Star Trek forever if you don’t watch us” double header, Enterprise suddenly has editing like a TV drama of its era instead of a mannered mid-90s holdover, it’s pretty funny if you’re binging it now. Like when they go to commercial they phase out the fade to black. facts about things with your posting buddy cars
That reminds me of a relative who was in the Star Trek fan club in the 60s and still has some of the newsletters, and it's fun reading them because it's Roddenberry writing a hurried plea to fans to harangue the studio bosses before they shitcanned his ass along with mail-order lists of episode scripts. Not a lot of merch except for that and an IDIC badge stamped out of sheet metal.
finishing up the first season of ENT - better than I thought the series would be, but still extremely zizek-voice-trashcan. my favourite contrived racism is this dude putting on an eastern euro accent, with maori tā moko on the chin, pretending to be some sort of Auda Abu Tayi looking for his Lawrence of Arabia

I wonder if there were skeptical Bajorans who were like "Look, I get that he's the Emissary, but Vedeks and Prylars keep getting attacked on his station, and he's disappeared 1 Kai and 1 Emissary in the wormhole he guards".

Soviet_Salami posted:

I wonder if there were skeptical Bajorans

The Bajorans may as well have been written up by a sober Christopher Hitchens. They're utter dumbasses. There was a whole "imminent civil war" thing in the early seasons that just got dropped hard for no particular reason, and when the virgin emissary was discovered they stopped cargo-culting the chad Sisko in favour of reverting to aforementioned Hitchenseque caste zealots.

I am finally of the opinion that Enterprise is Basically Good. Also the mirror eps gave Travis a mild Simon Phoenix vibe which should have been more overt. And Punished Trip, An Engineer Denied His Warp also pleases me.

I'm watching the DS9 episode It's Only A Paper Moon, the one where Nog hides in the holosuite after losing his leg. At one point Sisko has a meeting with Ezri, his therapist, to discuss Nog's treatment. Present to discuss Nog's progress with his therapist: his boss, his uncle, his stepmother, his roommate.
The best part of Enterprise season one is the first episode with Jeffrey Combs, only it's not a scene with Jeffrey Combs, it's this slow, dramatic dolly shot of Jolene Blalock and a minor guest character delivering a deadpan joke about how all the humans smell terrible. It's not the first time they use that bit, but it works a lot better as something that's been going on ever since without you knowing, one of those gags that only works because of what the medium doesn't convey, like a joke in a prose story where a puffed-up character uses a grade-school-vocab-quiz word properly and someone else corrects their pronunciation.

Those "mirror universe" episodes prove that fourth-season Enterprise produced decent TV, because after Deep Space Nine slowly steered the concept into the ground and before Discovery shoved its best actor inside and drilled it into a lake of magma, there's somehow that Enterprise two-parter where they pretend the entire show's always been about a cartoon-evil crew from the cartoon-evil place whose every waking moment finds them consumed with envy of Star Trek as though it's something ridiculously wonderful they'll never be, and it's cute and fun and one of the high points of the franchise, even though it's about nothing except the franchise itself and the show's failed relationship with the rest of it. This is impossible but it happened.

Travis Mayweather is Enterprise in a nutshell. The actor who plays him, Anthony Montgomery, improves his craft over the show's run almost as much as Blalock does, but even when he seems like a kid who thought his audition was for a one-shot Law & Order suspect, he still appears in every scene with this glittering cloud of charisma around him that outshines everyone on the main cast but John Billingsley. There's a run of four episodes where Enterprise finally figures out what to do with that. The next episode is the last episode of the show.
Really want to write up my blast furnace on how Picard sucks. but I keep getting distracted because to do that I have to bring up the one good episode, which is cool and clever and dumb and gross in a way I don't like so much as I admire it. It's like something from the first season of a different show that's better than Picard but doesn't have its shit together enough to last and isn't named after famous Star trek Picard so it's cancelled before it airs.

The one good episode of Picard's House follows the last-second cliffhanger where Jeri Ryan shows up, the most talented actor in the entire short history of Picard the show. She has the same name as her Voyager character but instead of that character, she plays a shell-shocked alcoholic who flash-boils a bunch of weird '90s fan diddling over Seven of Nine and Captain Janeway and pops out as a monologuing lezploitation monster-woman whose only goal is to ray-gun her psychopath ex-girlfriend into cinders, along with Gene Roddenberry's Democrat dream and every argument anyone has ever tried to make for Star Trek as some kind of social movement, also she succeeds. In the middle of Patrick Stewart's seventh performance as an extremely British man from France, he plays a frog-accented flesh peddler with an eyepatch he flips up to register shock that his disguise didn't keep anyone from recognizing a big-time celebrity who did an interview on space CNN a few days ago, a plan of vast & obvious idiocy that the show plays completely straight right up to the punchline as the genius brain child of the two ultra-smart fan favorites from other shows. Picard's sad-sack burnout best friend gets humiliated in front of everyone when the sex planet they visit sends her a personalized advertisement for weed, then she goes to visit her estranged son, who cringes when she tries to touch him and tells her awkwardly to leave him and his polite young wife alone. It's like someone convinced David Lynch to punch up a Star Trek script, and he couldn't come anywhere close to fixing it before he sobered up so he made them take his name off the credits. Any way the rest of the show is a lot worse.
I just saw the scene that cars av is from.
thinking about the Enterprise story where the first officer shoots hull insulation in futile struggle against surplus repression

cars posted:

Really want to write up my blast furnace on how Picard sucks. but I keep getting distracted because to do that I have to bring up the one good episode, which is cool and clever and dumb and gross in a way I don't like so much as I admire it. It's like something from the first season of a different show that's better than Picard but doesn't have its shit together enough to last and isn't named after famous Star trek Picard so it's cancelled before it airs.

The one good episode of Picard's House follows the last-second cliffhanger where Jeri Ryan shows up, the most talented actor in the entire short history of Picard the show. She has the same name as her Voyager character but instead of that character, she plays a shell-shocked alcoholic who flash-boils a bunch of weird '90s fan diddling over Seven of Nine and Captain Janeway and pops out as a monologuing lezploitation monster-woman whose only goal is to ray-gun her psychopath ex-girlfriend into cinders, along with Gene Roddenberry's Democrat dream and every argument anyone has ever tried to make for Star Trek as some kind of social movement, also she succeeds. In the middle of Patrick Stewart's seventh performance as an extremely British man from France, he plays a frog-accented flesh peddler with an eyepatch he flips up to register shock that his disguise didn't keep anyone from recognizing a big-time celebrity who did an interview on space CNN a few days ago, a plan of vast & obvious idiocy that the show plays completely straight right up to the punchline as the genius brain child of the two ultra-smart fan favorites from other shows. Picard's sad-sack burnout best friend gets humiliated in front of everyone when the sex planet they visit sends her a personalized advertisement for weed, then she goes to visit her estranged son, who cringes when she tries to touch him and tells her awkwardly to leave him and his polite young wife alone. It's like someone convinced David Lynch to punch up a Star Trek script, and he couldn't come anywhere close to fixing it before he sobered up so he made them take his name off the credits. Any way the rest of the show is a lot worse.

i agree completely

i think i have to apologize for the existance of lower decks. its a monkey's paw thing. sorry

I haven't even watched a single episode of the old Star Trek cartoon. I saw a clip from it once and it was like everyone from the '60s show cast was reading their lines at gunpoint, even though I guess they liked working on it, a combo that makes me want to watch it even less. The development of fast-talking comedy Star Trek comedy cartoon with comedy jokes has seemed inevitable to me for years at this point and I'm not watching that either.
thats a pretty accurate discription. whats worth paying attention to it for is because it was a cartoon in the dark ages of the medium nobody gave a shit about if the ideas they had or the scripts were good enough, or spending more than five dollars to animate it, but at the same time they recognized they didnt have any limits to what they could achive. so you have three armed ETs, majel barret is a furry, the ship comes alive and gives birth to a big balloon version of itself, KIRK IS A JERK, a 50 foot tall clone of spock and at one point they grow gills. and its all constantly reused he-man type rotocopes and 3 knockoff versions of tracks from the TOS soundtrack on repeat, turning it into a headache inducing nightmare. its wikipedia-interesting, at least
the animated series had some baller episodes like the one about the ffeemmaallee psychic species that harnessed super male vitality to generate their eternal yoni, or whatever

Horselord posted:

the ship comes alive and gives birth

i really need to rewatch Farscape someday

Back when Enterprise first aired, one of the early Jeffrey Combs episodes was about a low-profile shooting war between the Vulcans and the Jeffrey Combs aliens over a disputed border planet. Since Vulcans have been fake pacifist assholes ever since we met Spock's dad, I thought it would have been more interesting if when they showed up, it was with phasers on stun or sci-fi paralysis gas or something, they never killed anyone and just hauled the helpless enemy aliens away on their ships to dump them on some other planet and told the Earthlings, see, we're the good guys here. Like maybe a normal '60s-style Star Trek war politics story about how "merciful" ethnic cleansing through forcible relocation is still a war crime, because everyone likes Jeffrey Combs more than the guy who played the Vulcan ambassador. But Rick Berman used radio-wave telepathy and a time machine to steal my idea for Star Trek: Insurrection and I never got my check, even though I had clearly forgotten all about that movie.

Populares posted:

I know that it was likely not cars’ intention, but I mentally picture cars as the confused person in the foreground rather than the smirking alien in the background. Sorry, im not a nerd and don’t know their names.

i've watched one episode of lower decks now, which was a mistake of me. there wasnt even anything you could make fun of

netflix has a thing called "final space" which is unfunny and both the characters and the way everything is drawn and coloured is obnoxious. lower decks is like you ran that through a machine learning programs thats been trained on memory alpha. the character i only know as "loud woman" talks too fast but what i could make out of it she was just yelling shit like "dianna troi has huge titties" and "WORF" over and over as she waved a bottle of romulan ale around

it was exhausting and boring at the same time

dimashq posted:

Populares posted:

I know that it was likely not cars’ intention, but I mentally picture cars as the confused person in the foreground rather than the smirking alien in the background. Sorry, im not a nerd and don’t know their names.

i'm taking notes

I want it on the record that I've mentally pictured cars as the smirking alien, whose name is Garak, a simple tailor tending to his shop, and a traitor to the Cardassian Union and its intelligence agency, the Obsidian Order.
the secret origin of my profile picture is that I have a collection of gifs of people shaking their heads and this one fit the avatar dimensions better than the one I have of Jeffrey Combs and Scott Bakula from Enterprise.

Attempts to divine my intentions are adorable though and I appreciate the respect and effort put into them.
That sounds like something Garak would say.
I thought it had the spirit of a moderator av, the smirking alien looking down on the bad poster