realsubtle posted:

c_man posted:

ive been playing Fire Emblem

Wow, its cool that you have been playing my favorite video game ever fire emblem three houses.

I agree and also think its really cool!

[account deactivated]
Apparently at one point you steal a limousine and get in a car chase from the cops.

toyot posted:

i like beat-em-ups

pandering, sub-gritty shit. call me when there's a morrowind of the left

[account deactivated]
thats fucking appalling lol
the revolution will not be gamified
Going to play a "visual novel" or read one or whatever.. never done that before. I picked the first one I saw on steam, it's about two women dating each other in 1980s Hong Kong. if that's what the video game dating service picked for me, hey sure.... I once glanced at a 50-subscribers recommendations list from someone I played bombing run with & it was like two dozen kid-fiddler games about 14 year olds dating other 14 year olds, so i'm just glad I don't get recommended Life is Strange every time I log in. well here I go.
For my part, Deadly Premonition Origins for Nintendo Switch finally went on sale, so I have been playing a bit of that. I was promised a fairly janky Japanese game heavy on the Twin Peaks references, and I have not been disappointed - it's not quite Twin Peaks: The Video Game, but since I am known to enjoy slightly crap and weird Japanese games, this is much better than I imagine an actual licensed TP game could ever be.

I can't bring myself to actually recommend it to you, comrades. The gameplay is pretty rough. You alternate between an open world with low-mid-tier PS3 graphics and a shitty control scheme (particularly shitty when it comes to vehicles), and survival horror sections with crap AI and combat that aren't challenging, and occasional QTEs that sometimes drive me a bit nuts because of how many times I have to retry to not fuck up the 4th or 5th button press. The funhouse-mirror TP elements, strained voice acting that struggles with the slightly unnatural phrasing of the script (nevermind its content), and non-game-breaking glitches that similarly make me laugh. If that sounds fun to you, pick it up cheap as I did, and enjoy.
deadly premonition is a great game ...to watch someone else play.

but all video games except for tetris are bad anyway. for me to poop on
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a very good game I like it a lot
BOTW is absolutely the best fun I have had playing video games as an adult. I probably would have started replaying it by now but I lent the cart to my nephew ages ago. I'm hoping to get it back in time to get the DLC and blast through it before the sequel comes out (he's had it for over a year now but I'm pretty sure he still plays it sometimes)
i wonder how effective modern video games have been at cementing general anti-communist/anti-soviet canards

that "tonight we riot" game is produced by Means TV by the way guys. they've got great docs. like about how interns at the United Nations geneva office dont get paid enough.

damoj posted:

i wonder how effective modern video games have been at cementing general anti-communist/anti-soviet canards

not very, considering there's no canard on that sukhoi!

that's a badass picture though

kinch posted:

not very, considering there's no canard on that sukhoi!

damoj posted:

i wonder about this too, video games are obviously full of propaganda through direct involvement of the U.S. military in the industry but idk how effective it is compared to something like a TV show, like Homeland or Jack Ryan or etc.

one part that makes me wonder about it is how video game players have a tendency to fetishize the bad guys in their favorite games & want to buy expansions that allow them to play as the bad guys and learn all about their sympathetic motivations and so on, because when they see a toy they can't play with inside the game they get frustrated. and like we've discussed before, there's an apparent limit to the sophistication of video game writing nowadays, so it's harder to introduce the sort of nuance that preserves an initial propaganda line while making money off that demand. but when there's one of those TV shows pushing similar propaganda, there's usually not a lot of the audience out there demanding a spin-off putting the audience in the shoes of the villains. whether it turns into a product or not, the POV of video game consumers toward the story-defined villains seems to be different.

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

For my part, Deadly Premonition Origins for Nintendo Switch finally went on sale, so I have been playing a bit of that. I was promised a fairly janky Japanese game heavy on the Twin Peaks references, and I have not been disappointed - it's not quite Twin Peaks: The Video Game, but since I am known to enjoy slightly crap and weird Japanese games, this is much better than I imagine an actual licensed TP game could ever be.

I can't bring myself to actually recommend it to you, comrades. The gameplay is pretty rough. You alternate between an open world with low-mid-tier PS3 graphics and a shitty control scheme (particularly shitty when it comes to vehicles), and survival horror sections with crap AI and combat that aren't challenging, and occasional QTEs that sometimes drive me a bit nuts because of how many times I have to retry to not fuck up the 4th or 5th button press. The funhouse-mirror TP elements, strained voice acting that struggles with the slightly unnatural phrasing of the script (nevermind its content), and non-game-breaking glitches that similarly make me laugh. If that sounds fun to you, pick it up cheap as I did, and enjoy.

it has a lot of little odd fun things, like if you don't change your agent clothes often enough you get stinky and start attracting flies, which is perfectly suited to the disgusting FBI filth you are

I think the DCS games are pretty niche and in a different league from games intended for a mass audience. More like model train enthusiasts but for warfare and making sure as many of the knobs and switches look like the real thing, and some of those games are simplified or streamlined civilian / consumer versions of simulators used for military training (which is also where the real money is). It's not even the military shaping or influencing the games: the military is the main customer.

So those games can reinforce anti-communist sentiment, and support for militarism along with it, but I think the people who are interested in those games (and make them) are probably already bringing their anti-communist attitudes into it and buy into the dominant ideology anyways. Really if you're interested in playing around with Spanish Civil War dolls then you probably have some pre-existing interest in the war, and it's probably not apolitical, and a lot of those people are going to pick Franco. They're not all picking Franco, though. I heard a joke once that if you play these games and are on the left you're probably on the hard left. At the same time it's still playing with dolls and my brother makes fun of people who play as the Nazis as "playing with their Klaus Barbies."

cars posted:

one part that makes me wonder about it is how video game players have a tendency to fetishize the bad guys in their favorite games & want to buy expansions that allow them to play as the bad guys and learn all about their sympathetic motivations and so on, because when they see a toy they can't play with inside the game they get frustrated.

Yeah dunno. At least with these serious basement war nerd games I'm talking about, I think some of it is that these games focus in on lower layers of warfare, which is abstracted to a degree from politics or strategy i.e. what the hell you're doing fighting a war (hard to explain). It's not, really, but it appears as such in the game world. An "apolitical" attitude still carries its own ideology, though. And at least with World War II games, I think they often reflect the Lost Cause-style myth that developed after World War II that both tried to depoliticize the German army and present its officers as tactical virtuosos who lost because they were swamped by the Red Hordes, in part for self-serving reasons by German authors of memoirs who fought in the war and survived, and for anti-communist prerogatives. Some of these books were outright fabricated like Guy Sajer's "Forgotten Soldier" which came out in the early '70s and received praise in the NYT, presenting the Wehrmacht as not being influenced by Nazi ideology and "just defending Europe from the Bolsheviks!" Oh, well that's an improvement...

On the plus side, I think those myths have come under pressure in the past 20 years or so. David Glantz has written a lot that is as good a look at the Soviet military in the war as you're going to find in English. The "Clean Wehrmacht" myth has been harder to sustain. That might have pushed back against some of the worst impulses of the hardcore war nerds, since they will listen to someone like Glantz, and there is Radio War Nerd... and I mention that because John Dolan was one of those guys until he turned into... well, John Dolan. But it's still a jingo genre. And some of these games can be just blood curdling:

It is the near future. One of the last bastions of true Communism, the corrupt and bankrupt police state of North Korea, has been involved in the dirty business of trading uranium. Trading it for what, though? Food to feed their starving people? Medical supplies for the thousands dying each day from disease and malnutrition? No, the ruling monsters have been trading it for more weaponry, in the hope of one day seeing their nightmare vision of uniting the two Koreas under the red banner come to fruition.

Early morning, 11 September 2010, the DMZ erupts in a symphony of death and destruction. Has the blitzkrieg began? It has, but the tanks and helicopters cutting a swath across no man's land aren't heading south - they're going north. The US-ROK invasion has just begun, and soon the Axis of Evil club will lose yet another member. You are there.

While the cowardly leftists wail and gnash their teeth, fight for truth, democracy, and world freedom in Raging Tiger: The Second Korean War, taking the battle to another tinpot dictator that would be better off six feet under. Command an arsenal of next generation weapons and the brave warriors that use them as you fight on land, air, and sea. From heavy equipment carriers like HEMMTs to Harrier jump jets to the grunt on the field, Raging Tiger provides players with plenty of nifty toys to wage war with.

Synergy posted:

Deadly Premonition

it has a lot of little odd fun things, like if you don't change your agent clothes often enough you get stinky and start attracting flies, which is perfectly suited to the disgusting FBI filth you are

I wondered what would happen, but I've been compulsively changing & cleaning my clothes at every opportunity.

I am about 9 hours in now, finally have a few handy side quests under my belt that I could've done much earlier if I'd known about them, but wanted to go in pretty much blind, which has mostly worked out well. The glitches I've encountered have been quite funny at times and only added to the charm, except for the two times so far that the game has simply crashed outright. Both times only about a minute after a save, but still.

Thought about war games some more. I think where these games place emphasis -- even if they're on one level a sandbox to play with army dolls -- matters in cementing or shaping (or reflecting) ideology and historical memory. One of the older grognard games from the U.S., winSPMBT, was like this where it was on one level "just" an engine to model warfare, World War II to the present, but most of the Eastern Front scenarios are "recommended" to play as the Germans with the Soviet side as the computer. Or the post-WWII scenarios would have scenarios taking place in Zimbabwe, with the player "recommended" to take the side of the Rhodesians. On the surface level it's "apolitical," but the player is still being nudged and steered toward taking the side of a white supremacist junta. There were even "Red Dawn" scenarios depicting the Cuban and Soviet armies rolling through Texas, obviously not the side you're supposed to play according to the designers, but the architecture of the game still allowed you flip a switch and play as third-world liberating forces rolling through Lampasas if you want to. Which is more fun anyways.

Something new, and I wonder about, are Russian and Belarusian studios that have developed some popular multiplayer war-battle games. I think they're pretty cheesy, like a lot of these games are, but there is more emphasis on the Soviet side or at least shifting the emphasis so the Soviet side of the war is centered in the game. This year for Victory Day, one of the big Russian studios ran a promotion, and I imagine most of the players for these games are not from Russia or Belarus, but this is what they're seeing:

I think that game also has a mass audience compared to the niche war games. It's more of an arcade battle game that emphasizes fun over "realism." But there's one niche developer called Graviteam I like, who are from Kharkov, and they have a lot of Eastern Front games, but also one set in Angola and depicting the Cuban forces there. And I wouldn't have imagined an American studio putting something like that out, or if they did they'd either just have you play as some white mercs from South Africa or at least "recommend" you do.

10 mins of me failing at level 19 NES tetris. it would be cool to have some friendly competition if anyone on the rhizzone is interested. my best game in that video starts at 6:32 - 33 lines.

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

If that's what failing looks like, I am definitely not capable of competing with you, friendly or not.
thanks, i realise i'm pretty good, but i've hit a wall at 19. the plan is to use videos to at least judge if i'm very slowly improving over time.
[account deactivated]
helped a couch crasher in his quixotic quest to house a PS2 in a NES case years ago, just some project he had to keep himself busy. good guy, 20, very talented guitarist, couldn't sleep very much or bring himself to leave the house after some violent incident that baffled him after a pretty sheltered life. he'd just hang for a couple months before he moved on, and he insisted on cooking and cleaning and so on. he got the tray to come out of the cartridge slot when you lifted the cover, that was cool, overall the problem was real estate inside the thing so much of it was just outside on the floor the whole time while he tried to figure out what he could do about it. i hope he's okay
I'm playing fallout frost, and watching a guy develop a post nuclear posadist society in kenshi.
I finished playing Deadly Premonition the other day. Final impressions are about the same as what I posted previously - this is not a good game by any objective standards, but it's very enjoyable for fans of Twin Peaks, especially if you're partial (as I am) to idiosyncratic Japanese games, and think non-game-breaking glitches are pretty funny. The story resolved in a satisfying way even if the final boss fights were underwhelming/tedious, and the postgame content was nice.

As I read some stuff about the game afterwards, it came to my attention that there are fans of the game who had not seen Twin Peaks and went on to watch it because they liked the game so much. Some seemed a little deflated by the realisation that so much of what they loved about the game is basically a rip off (even though it diverges hard in important ways). But I do envy them a little bit because the impression this game must have made, playing through it with no cultural anchor for what they were experiencing - it must have been a truly wild adventure, and I can see how that would have got people through the painful experience of the original Xbox 360 version, in which the controls were apparently even worse and all the enemies took twice as many hits to die.

Not to reignite the conversation earlier about low standards for video game writing, but this whole experience and my understanding of the cult around Swery does tend to expose how much Game's is crying out for its own Lynch, a real mad genius auter type who can sneak original art in a mass entertainment vehicle. Game's doesn't need to fulfill that criterion to be worthwhile, but it'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Not to reignite the conversation earlier about low standards for video game writing, but this whole experience and my understanding of the cult around Swery does tend to expose how much Game's is crying out for its own Lynch, a real mad genius auter type who can sneak original art in a mass entertainment vehicle. Game's doesn't need to fulfill that criterion to be worthwhile, but it'd be nice, wouldn't it?

D4 was never finished but the title credits still get stuck in my mind all the time

I hadn't seen that and it made me lol so thanks. Swery really is lord of pastiche isn't he

The only thing I knew about D4 until now is that he put tequila drinking in it because he likes hanging out at a local tequila bar regularly (the relevant bit is about 13min in and be sure to turn closed captions on). What's not to like about a video game maker who went to film school and likes to drink a lot?
My puters power supply died no video lea for me.
[account deactivated]
thought about alpha centauri, looked it up and it was 1.50 on GoG so i bought it. the only 4x game i really spent a ton of time on is civ 5 so ive been pretty baffled by the turn system, diplomacy, and tech in this game but im going to force myself to figure it out
tech is the key to everything, having better tech than rivals is p much the single most important factor (prob the games biggest shortcoming)

a playthrough p much turns on quickly developing synthetic fossil fuels (unlocks tier 6 weapons while others will be using tier 4) which leads to doctrine: air power (needlejets, aircraft ignore terrain & have much greater range than any previously available chassis). whether you're being militarily defensive or offensive the advantage of having those first is overwhelming
[account deactivated]

toyot posted:

all this advice is by somebody who never goes to war and just turtles in a corner until merging w/the planetary consciousness...

hybrid forest every base
forest+maglev every tile
prettiest zone on planet

ignore all this bullshit and just enjoy playing the goddamn game and clicking on whatever feels right in the moment. playing games to minmax and win rather than soaking in the atmosphere, becoming immersed, and living amongst the virtual people is a 59th form of liberalism