i read "late victorian holocausts" and it was super. now im reading "the man without qualities" and its pretty funny so far
I'm reading Blue Mars which is a good book. KSR is one of those who writes "genre fiction" sure but I think he approaches being "literature" whatever that is very often. I like the Mars trilogy, I've read it over the course of the past couple of years. Honestly though I think I prefer reading KSR back on Earth, with the exception of Aurora which is his greatest book I think. I'm thinking specifically of Antarctica when I think of his Earth books, which knocked me out. Maybe I just prefer his stand-alones because getting everything concentrated really packs a wallop.

I'm reading Vincent Bevins' book The Jakarta Method which is about how anticommunism exterminated all its opponents to win the Cold War. Basic stuff, but the interviews in it are great. There's this one guy who worked for the People's Daily in Jakarta translating everything that came off the foreign wire services and it's interesting to see how, of course, the Communist press reported stuff like the Guatemala coup better than any of the capitalist press. And some accounts of the Festival of Youth and Students which always move me. Must have been just amazing going to those international gatherings.

yes KSR is good imo.
im reading "black metal: evolution of the cult" by dAyal patterson, its 600 pages about black metal. its really good and im listening to all the albums along with it, i listen to every demo and i listen to every demo hard. making whooshing noises when someone shrieks or even when they fuck up the timing
im raeding natos secret armies and a book about total synthesis

the nato one is really nice, a bit sloppily written or translated but a bunch of solid and well compiled info and as it was written like 20 y ago probably a fun project to cross reference with disclosures since that time

tears posted:

im reading "black metal: evolution of the cult" by dAyal patterson, its 600 pages about black metal. its really good and im listening to all the albums along with it, i listen to every demo and i listen to every demo hard. making whooshing noises when someone shrieks or even when they fuck up the timing

Do u recommend it

got around to reading 10 days that shook the world, my copy has a very emphatic introduction that john reed would have become an anti-communist if he didn't die
[account deactivated]

tears posted:

what's the tone like, i've tended to avoid most books about black metal because they tend to not be written by insiders and go hard on sensationalist stuff about the church burnings and so on. also if you like out of time demos you gotta check out the old polish scene, none of those guys knew what a tempo was and its really cool.

dimashq posted:

Do u recommend it

lo posted:

what's the tone like, i've tended to avoid most books about black metal because they tend to not be written by insiders and go hard on sensationalist stuff about the church burnings and so on. also if you like out of time demos you gotta check out the old polish scene, none of those guys knew what a tempo was and its really cool.

the tone is good, i chose it because online people said it was the antithesis to lords of chaos. the authour clearly really digs the music, its 50 champters long and its 18 chapters before anyone mentions burning down a church. im only on chapter 20 but the first third is a good run down of "1st wave" and proto-black bands - chapters tend to be about individual bands themselves (though there are some regional scene specific ones, and subgenre specific ones) and talk a lot about the music, along with lots of good interview snippets which really dig into where this cool music come from. did you know that Tom G. Warrior grew up in a house with 90 cats? thats where the hellhammer sound came from, a neglected childhood in a house with 90 cats.

theres really good run downs of early bands, lots of which i have never listened to much at all: venom, mercyful fate, bathory, hellhammer, celtic frost, rotting christ, masters hammer etc a whole chapter on black(ened) thrash - early sodom, kreator, destruction, sarcofago etc

whats really good is that for each band it tends to talk through the early demos, rehearsal releases etc etc so you can see the origin of the sound and just go to youtube and fire them up

the only two places i can see that it falls flat is that it doesnt have a release timeline anywhere that i can see (i have made my own because i am a nerd), and secondly, quite a few of the artists interviewed mention their influences from hardcore punk, stuff like GBH and Discharge, but there's no chapter which digs into more detail

i guess a chapter on punk would be a bit outside of the book's scope, but there was a lot of cross pollination between punk and early death metal as well, in a way that doesn't really happen now since punk and metal scenes tend to be much more distinct in most places. first wave bm is the coolest and there aren't really any bad bands from then, czech them all out, increase your metal power level!

lo posted:

i guess a chapter on punk would be a bit outside of the book's scope,

listening to the stuff, there are as many similarities between the early "black metal" stuff and say discharge's hear nothing see nothing say nothing as there is with say mercyful fates melissa, and mercyful fate get a whole chapter - i just think it could do with a further look, especially since many of the people interviewed talk about the sound quite a bit

i am no black metal expert but i read lords of chaos in my teens and it wasnt particularly good

tears posted:

lo posted:

i guess a chapter on punk would be a bit outside of the book's scope,

listening to the stuff, there are as many similarities between the early "black metal" stuff and say discharge's hear nothing see nothing say nothing as there is with say mercyful fates melissa, and mercyful fate get a whole chapter - i just think it could do with a further look, especially since many of the people interviewed talk about the sound quite a bit

mercyful fate is more influential in terms of image and ideology(wearing corpse paint, satanism, etc) than in musical terms for most bands, whereas discharge were only musically influential. black metal has always been pretty focused on ideology and image so i don't think that's too surprising.

anything that isn't about mayhem and burzum sounds like an improvement.

dimashq posted:

anything that isn't about mayhem and burzum sounds like an improvement.

ive just read the relevant chapters - there are 2 chapters on mayhem, 1 on burzum, along with 3 on the origin of the norwegian scene. then there are separate chapters on darkthrone, thorns, emperor, gehenna, gorgoroth and trelldom

the authour had these long interviews with necrobutcher and manheim, along with Snorre Ruch, and some others which form the backbone of the whole section. its pretty good actually

Edited by tears ()

https://www.deseret.com/1998/5/18/19380692/did-syria-pay-ira-millions-after-slaying
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/may/09/the-real-lord-of-the-flies-what-happened-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

The boys, once aboard, claimed they were students at a boarding school in Nuku‘alofa, the Tongan capital. Sick of school meals, they had decided to take a fishing boat out one day, only to get caught in a storm. Likely story, Peter thought. Using his two-way radio, he called in to Nuku‘alofa. “I’ve got six kids here,” he told the operator. “Stand by,” came the response. Twenty minutes ticked by. (As Peter tells this part of the story, he gets a little misty-eyed.) Finally, a very tearful operator came on the radio, and said: “You found them! These boys have been given up for dead. Funerals have been held. If it’s them, this is a miracle!”

They were finally rescued on Sunday 11 September 1966. The local physician later expressed astonishment at their muscled physiques and Stephen’s perfectly healed leg. But this wasn’t the end of the boys’ little adventure, because, when they arrived back in Nuku‘alofa police boarded Peter’s boat, arrested the boys and threw them in jail. Mr Taniela Uhila, whose sailing boat the boys had “borrowed” 15 months earlier, was still furious, and he’d decided to press charges.

"welcome back to CIVILIZATION, miracle children!" *points at cage*

that was actually an interesting story tbh.
can't remember if this was posted here or elsewhere but, Soviets and Ourselves: Two Commonwealths. a liberal British citizen recounts his experience in the USSR in the pre-Cold War times which is a pretty unique perspective. i think it would work well as a primer for those that are hesitant to read anything positive about that scary country in the East.

[account deactivated]
this forum got pinged by the gonzaloites lol
https://struggle-sessions.com/2020/05/11/maoism-v-s-maoist-third-worldism-responding-to-criticism-from-a-reader/

In regards to MIM, Struggle Sessions reject them as Maoists and as internationalists. They are not a movement, they’re a small crew of Harvard kids who distort Marxism with their shameful trafficking of identity politics and petty bourgeois empiricism-posing-as-analysis onto their website. Now their filth is getting onto weird and subcultural forums like Rhizzone with their promotion of Sakai.

lenochodek posted:

In regards to MIM, Struggle Sessions reject them as Maoists and as internationalists. They are not a movement, they’re a small crew of Harvard kids who distort Marxism with their shameful trafficking of identity politics and petty bourgeois empiricism-posing-as-analysis onto their website. Now their filth is getting onto weird and subcultural forums like Rhizzone with their promotion of Sakai.

instant full house on my maoist blog bingo card

lenochodek posted:

this forum got pinged by the gonzaloites lol
https://struggle-sessions.com/2020/05/11/maoism-v-s-maoist-third-worldism-responding-to-criticism-from-a-reader/

There is much needed analysis around Sakai and his conceptions of “settlerism” and “settler economy” because (Third Worldists) have been pushing his book Settlers through such forums. There is objectively a labor aristocracy, it is described by Engels and Lenin, and cited as the source of opportunism in the working class movement, but it is not the majority of the white working class in the U.S. today as Sakai and (Third Worldists) describe. In regards to the white nation, we have not taken a formal position on this, but one contributor has with “Race, Class and Stratification” through our One Hundred Flowers section. We certainly encourage you to contribute and have your own positions scrutinized, even if incorrect, around these matters.

there's something to the notion that settlerism as sakai describes in his now somewhat dated magnum opus isn't exactly spot-on but i wouldn't diminish it to this extent. it seems like during the last thirty years the ground has shifted and the importance of maintaining a settler garrison has declined or been redefined such that some white workers have lost the preferential status they once could have taken for granted. i'm leaning towards redefinition here, like certain sections of the white working class have been shed and are no longer treated as reliable or sufficiently pure. i dont think this development has been consequential enough to warrant tossing sakai aside but quibblers got to quibble or they die

e: speaking of pinging rhizzone, the Indonesian wikipedia article on Songbun uses Songbullshit as one of the cited references

Edited by zhaoyao ()

There is objectively a labor aristocracy, it is described by Engels and Lenin, and cited as the source of opportunism in the working class movement, but it is not the majority of the white working class in the U.S. today as Sakai and (Third Worldists) describe.

(citation needed)

by the way it s funny how many leftists shamelessly refer to engels and lenin to argue that labor aristocracy is a phenomenon limited only to a small group of workers in the west, as if the world didnt change one bit when lenin wrote "imperialism the highest stage of capitalism". if engels or lenin had never said anything about the labor aristocracy these people would probably outright deny the existence of the labor aristocracy entirely

(sound of mic being tapped)(ahem hemkhhrrrrrrrreflhhhgplhegmaaahhhchregkmmmmmmmemmmmgraahkhaww): thank you. re-read settlers.

There is much needed analysis around Sakai and his conceptions of “settlerism” and “settler economy” because (Third Worldists) have been pushing his book Settlers through (t H E r H i z z o n E).

e: \/ thank vivian for the longpost in the music thread that was banished to endless shrimp \/

Edited by zhaoyao ()

Holy shit the thermals i forgot all about them.
those guys should have a site called misreadsettlers.com
i've not gotten the impression that sakai is as pessimistic about conditions as some of his detractors seem to think. like he doesn't really come across as a guy who's convinced that revolution is impossible in the first world, he still seems to talk to people and do activism and generally try to contribute where he can
I imagine things in amerikkka may shake out favorably due to the internal colonies growth demographically.
[account deactivated]
rEaD wHeN rAcE bUrNs ClAsS: sEtTlErS rEvIsItEd By J sAkAi

tears posted:

instant full house on my maoist blog bingo card

Any Settlers style books about France? I imagine Algeria is a pretty rich vein to mine here (so did the French! ). Maybe Dizastar you know something? Who is the J. Sakai of the Hexagone?

Parenti posted:

Aimé Césaire?

For more contemporary stuff, maybe check out some of the theorists connected to the "indigènes de la république" party such as Saïd Bouamama or Houria Bouteldja.

Very similar defensive reaction to their work from the white French "left" as Settlers got from settler leftists in North America, too.

[account deactivated]
lol big surprise melechonites are irredeemable trash
ah the french

thanks for the recs. if she makes Guénolé mad she sounds cool, that prick wrote that stupid book where he accused Mélenchon of being a stalinist autocrat w/r/t the french dsa. i wish!

Time 2 learn french