Adding "Marnie the Dog" to personal list of possible write-in choices for the November elections. Might go to a bracket and have the candidates compete against each other. Who will Marnie face in the first round? Godzilla, Kobe Bryant or La Riva/Peltier?
people are dying and this guy (a widely """respected""" australian journalist) is stuck in 1899

Howard Shameless in this regard
the number of RTs on this. smdh
some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill
Godzilla twitter account that replies to everything with godzilla howl (1954).wav
steady growth in knockoffs of successful Godzilla.wav account that auto reply to each other turning every twitter thread into endless wavs of every single version of the godzilla roar sound effect

cars posted:

steady growth in knockoffs of successful Godzilla.wav account that auto reply to each other turning every twitter thread into endless wavs of every single version of the godzilla roar sound effect

i take it all back... it IS possible to fix twitter

instructing the Western press to parrot that propaganda seems redundant
when your boss hands you a note that says: Do The Thing, But Harder
i read the news once and i died instantly
F
the joke where you say "enhance" and then its zoomed in on ol greeny's screen there with some kinda funny sex thing. fellas in gasmasks, chicks with huge norks, etc. i dont know photoshop but the concept is sound
less the journalism and more the story i guess

jsut thought about western journalism, can confirm it made me want to die inside. posting as required, by the rulkes of the forum.
i was waiting for someone to write this article. NYT does not disappoint.

lol
courtesy of the slate

It’s not about accepting a lesser of two evils. It’s about choosing an opponent. . . Therein lies the key to keeping progressives motivated for the 2020 election: Get them excited to give Joe Biden hell.

i love this one for many reasons but especially because the premise is that it's cool and good that the US is keeping its coronavirus vaccine research secret
after some hesitance, top national security officials' legs jerked when their knees were tapped w a rubber mallet
no particular article, but journalists need to just SHUT UP. omg.

aerdil posted:

i was waiting for someone to write this article. NYT does not disappoint.

kinch posted:

lol

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

i love this one for many reasons but especially because the premise is that it's cool and good that the US is keeping its coronavirus vaccine research secret

One reason for that is, one or more U.S. agencies almost certainly possess research on creating a deadlier coronavirus, following NIH's announcement in 2017 that a ban on such research had been lifted. They're likely using that research to work on a vaccine, and anyone hired by the big papers for health reporting already knows it.

I doubt that SARS-CoV-1 research is where SARS-CoV-2 came from, but I don't think the CDC wants talk to start again about its double trouble in 2014—when the CDC exposed lab workers to live anthrax the agency said was "inactivated" by sending it to a lab unequipped to handle live samples where workers without protective gear hit it with a fan to loosen flakes, less than two weeks after the agency had contaminated a lightweight H9N2 influenza sample sent to a USDA poultry research lab with a deadly H5N1 strain. They also found that year that the NIH itself had possession of live smallpox in a lab near Washington, something that was supposedly only stored at two highly-monitored, internationally-known sites, one at CDC labs in Atlanta and one by its counterpart in Russia.

Those 2014 woes were what led to a moratorium in the U.S. on research creating deadlier coronavirus as part of a larger subset of viral diseases, but thanks to the efforts of the NIH and its federally-funded academic cohort, the moratorium ended in 2017. Again, I don't see any strong evidence that U.S. work on deadlier coronaviruses led to COVID-19, but the agencies involved probably don't want attention shifted away from the current mainstream-media-tended conspiracy theories about China and back toward themselves, and we're all aware of the ways that U.S. national-level reporting on federal agencies safeguards access to its sources within those agencies.

i saw an ad on youtube for The Epoch Times, advertising itself as an independent news site so i was like cool, i’ll have to check that out later

then I saw another ad on youtube for The Epoch Times, talking about how evil communism is so i was like cool, i won’t be checking that out later

thanks for reading my story
the epoch times is falun gong and pushes a lot of weird conservative conspiracy stuff
i saw a local opinion piece today that advocated an alliance with taiwan in order to 'help survive the coronavirus cataclysm' and imagine my surprise when i looked at the byline and it was noted red baiting china academic anne marie brady
Now THERE’S a story of a lovely lady!!

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

the epoch times is falun gong and pushes a lot of weird conservative conspiracy stuff

They have a related video and T.V. arm called New Tang Dynasty Television which produces various shows like "China Uncensored" hosted by this hired geek:

Also giant spider tanks:

A related channel that focuses on U.S. domestic stuff and holy shit look at that dude's face:

Some news about this outfit from last year. By the way, they've recently been flooded with cash:

Facebook has banned The Epoch Times, a conservative news outlet that spent more money on pro-Trump Facebook advertisements than any group other than the Trump campaign, from any future advertising on the platform.

The decision follows an NBC News report that The Epoch Times had shifted its spending on Facebook in the last month, seemingly in an effort to obfuscate its connection to some $2 million worth of ads that promoted the president and conspiracy theories about his political enemies.

"Over the past year we removed accounts associated with the Epoch Times for violating our ad policies, including trying to get around our review systems," a Facebook spokesperson said. "We acted on additional accounts today and they are no longer able to advertise with us."

Facebook's decision came as a result of a review prompted by questions from NBC News. The spokesperson explained that ads must include disclaimers that accurately represent the name of the ad's sponsors.

The Epoch Times' new method of pushing the pro-Trump conspiracy ads on Facebook, which appeared under page names such as "Honest Paper" and "Pure American Journalism," allowed the organization to hide its multimillion-dollar spending on dark-money ads, in effect bypassing Facebook's political advertising transparency rules. Facebook's ban will affect only The Epoch Times' ability to buy ads; the sock-puppet pages created to host the new policy-violating ads were still live at the time of publication.

The religious group that quietly operates the paper believes in a coming judgment day that will send communists to hell and says Trump is helping accelerate that timeline.

Since 2016, The Epoch Times' revenue more than doubled, and the reach of its online content rocketed past that of every other news organization, attracting billions of views across its many platforms. It also became a player on the conservative media stage, securing interviews with Trump Cabinet members, loyalists and family members, as well as members of Congress and Republican media stars.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200107141211/https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/epoch-times-begins-hiding-its-connection-huge-pro-trump-ad-n1045416

Not that it makes much difference. Every major news outlet in the U.S., Democrat or Republican, is either directly blaming China or slinging mud at them.

The Falun Gong's have also promoted the "CCPVirus" hashtag. That seems less common than Americans just calling it the "China virus," but a central part of the Falun Gong's strategy is to construct a palingenetic myth with themselves placed at the center of an ancient Chinese culture threatened by the Communist Party. I think that's the basic message of their traveling roadshow, Shen Yun, where dancers will be twirling around until some other dancers representing communists (wearing black) run out on the stage and symbolically beat them up.

So, presenting themselves as anti-China per se or anti-Chinese is not going to work for them, but the American media writ large and its political class don't feel the need to make these distinctions at all. Anyways, in the bloody shoot-em-up war games I play like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam there I'll see "CCPVirus" tags sometimes in front of people's names, so it's clearly having some effect. It'd be worth looking into it but I think some of the people around Trump, like Steve Bannon, were effective at manipulating gaming communities inclined to reactionary and nationalistic politics and I imagine there's work being done there now to promote the notion that China wants to ban or censor their video games or whatever, and with Bannon now making slinging mud at China a full-time job.

remembering Epoch Times day like a decade and a half ago, when the Falun Gong people would come to hand out Epoch Times on campus and every trash can up and down main street would be overflowing with Epoch Times, crumpled up Epoch Times tumbling out onto the sidewalk and uncurling and sliding lazily away on the wind
My school was kind of a backwater so we didn't get much of that, but I remember the LaRouchites coming around once, and we also got a very special treat: the Spartacist League. I was also a dumbass lib at the time and argued with them and it got heated, and they came back the next day, and at that point I realized I'd been a jerk to them, so I went up to them kind of sheepishly and apologized for being a prick and bought a $10 annual subscription to Workers Vanguard. So that's how I got owned by the Sparts and now I'm posting on tHE rHizzonE.
one time many years ago i met someone at a protest who wanted to meet me for coffee later that day. they showed up w a senior comrade/mentor and berated me for half an hour while trying to convince me to join the sparts. So that's how I got owned by the Sparts and now I'm posting on tHE rHizzonE.
Welcome to my beatdown
lol at the noobs getting rekt by spart simpson