graphicalUSSRinterface posted:

i have have started the file transfer via rsync.. godspeed.

transfer is still going, i guess i posted this two days ago lmfao.. im only moving my anime folder

sounds like an insane transfer. keep us posted

88888 posted:

sounds like an insane transfer. keep us posted

thanks chief, i will. just trying to be friendly and community-minded but i know zzoners dont seem to like that here

itd be dope if instead of people telling me im clogging up the pipes by making unimportant psots theyd recognize it as an invitation to just like uhh, talk. chat. in a casual way. because thats what im doing lmfao, youre missing the point. good lord. maybe i really should jsut go to twitter
making someone feel they shouldn't post runs against the very nougat of my forums-related beliefs... but just as the posts should flow freely, so should the riffs flow freely from them. that is the offsite dialectic
anyhow bill gates will have to kill me before I register this copy of windows

88888 posted:

making someone feel they shouldn't post runs against the very nougat of my forums-related beliefs... but just as the posts should flow freely, so should the riffs flow freely from them. that is the offsite dialectic

once again i am being defensive when at another time i may not be. see my many instant apologies made already. i take it back. cheers

in any case, the transfer has finished.
[account deactivated]
i just upgraded to coroma virus (joke where the virus is windows or something)
[account deactivated]
my decade old thinkpad is struggling under the weight of 310 firefox tabs
[account deactivated]

toyot posted:

you should do what i did to my x220 tablet, rip the wifi chip out, take the thing offline, those old intels shouldn't be connected to the internet anymore anyway.

it seems the new intels arent much better yet anyways haha. no ones fixed the issue afaik , and as cool as it is to use the last thinkpad model with the old-style keyboard as a daily driver, its really because im broke as shit, as well. i need to file a zero-income tax return so i can get my 1200 cause im gonna get some compyter stuff with it.. build a desktop or whatever. hopefully they dont rip it away from me, as i am likely in student loan defautl because of my inability to be on top of anything. haha.

i could do the internet-isolated machine thing tho.. unfortunately i have some other thinkpads and i wont say how many haha, but i was using a t60 as my main machine a couple years back, still. i wish they still made laptops with 4:3 screens.. sadly i only have the xga model, the uxga ones seem very hard to come by and its not worth it to me because its just a hobbyist thing at this point. i want something i can use lol, not just for fun collecting purposes. if i could i would be on a pismo

Edit: doubleposting in main forum

Edited by tears ()

computers thread https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/coronavirus-cobol-programmers-new-jersey-trnd/index.html
anyone looking for a job take note, they probably won’t challenge you if you claim to know COBOL and just throw catchphrases at them during the “technical” interview. Couple months’ paycheck at least, and the only cost is the blood of the workers
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
an update in November '19 fricking BORKED my Win10 so after a buncha attempts i ended up having to a) dig out my gf's old laptop that still had an optical drive, b) special order a DUAL LAYER dvd-r because the recovery media is juuuuust a smidge bigger than a single layer one (usb recovery wasn't working for whatever reason), and c) reinstall the whole thing that way. and then manually take out all the above mentioned annoying default shit

it's been said many times but, "Micro$haft WinBlows"

fill my compy with garbage
this is my last resort
i absolutely won't use windows 10, way too much surveillance baked in that you can't disable. probably doesn't even matter for my actual life, all things considered, but it makes my fucking skin crawl. when win7 stops being viable i'll just have to main linux for everything, or idk, go hermit in a shed in the mountains
when you think about it a window is a device to view things through, so it makes sense that shadowy computer men can view you through the operating system of the same name

liceo posted:

i have a solid looking rip off of windows 98 custom theme going on this terrible OS

It looks like you are writing about politics. Would you like my help with editing three Ks into america?

pogfan1996 posted:

It looks like you are writing about politics. Would you like my help with editing three Ks into america?

[account deactivated]
i would like to acquire these books on computing history and architecture, as most of them are not online, and make it so. if anyone would like to help, dm me:

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.folklore.computers/c/hQqtQd2QtOc

https://alt.folklore.computers.narkive.com/emyNVBRZ/afc-reading-list
[account deactivated]

Acdtrux posted:

I didn't look at the first link (google login) but the second has like 50 books. Which ones do yo want? I might be able to find them.

i have not checked that entire list in depth yet admittedly, but i really wanted some of those robert glass books, mainly. he was prolific by the look of his wikipedia bibliography, and has multiple books on computing folklore type stuff that look interesting to me. particularly the multiple books he has written on failed computing projects lol. based on skimming both of those lists all of it looks good and i'm sure at least some of it is online, but i tried 3-4 books off there and a lot of it was not in the usual places..

in any case the robert glass books reminded me of a trilogy on mathematical cranks written by underwood dudley, all of which i enjoyed immensely. all three are on libgen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Cranks

"concept, algorithm, decision: decision making and automation (a Soviet view)" : translated and published under the auspices of the United States Air Force / V. V. Druzhinin, D. S. Kontorov.

this book was written in the ussr in the 70s and translated by the US air force to See What The Enemny Is Thinking

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xXFUJ0ul6zo33Ux3v1crT5Y473r8aQTO/view?usp=sharing

[account deactivated]

Acdtrux posted:

svg is an underrated file format, if one were to ask me

The final choice is left to the commander.

i got a weird probably bad computer probl;em on the x220.. uhh there is a raw socket bound to my wireless interface listening for udp packets on every port/address anmd a fuckton of udp sockets bound to obfuscated port numbers lmao. seems to persist even using live install media and it appears my bios version has 3 known low-level vulns, and bios flashing via lan is enabled in there. so idk Lol. wondering if i got hit with some weird like uhhhh thing cause there was a mysterious random reboot a few weeks ago. i wanted to get an x200 off ebay but theyre like. trhe price of an x220 still. and then i rememebred i have a t60 which is even cooler, so im gonna libreboot it probably after i replace the processor, cause i bought an upgrade for it and do forensic analysis thigns on the x220 probably. thanks for reading my horrible computer post. its possible i should stop talking to weirdos from lastfm but you know i wont
"lsof will not execute and completion _lsof exists" thats a sign of somthing good. i can feel it
please keep dropping mp3s with goo.gl urls that link to medical records sites and have id3 tags like "black car" in my soulseek downlaods directory. thank You
wow i have posted the most itt out of anyone. i really do be loving computer