88888 posted:

a big, triangular door

Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia posted:

i ventured out into the swampland that is reddit for the first time in a long time, out of morbid curiosity to see how this was all being discussed, and noticed something interesting. there has been an uptick in the past couple of days among the anglo/five eyes news media of China Bad stories - they could've stopped this, they're lying about numbers, etc - and these stories are of course being shared on reddit, but there was a surprising amount of pushback in the top comments. for an overwhelmingly amerikkkan community that usually falls over itself to boost crap about tiananmen tanks grinding students into hamburger, there is now very little appetite for these kind of transparent buck-passing diversion tactics. the fear of what's coming, and the outright anger towards the stewards of empire, is palpable

I think it came up in the China thread how the situation re: HK didn't affect white people, it's abstract enough, so they can just passively absorb the China Bad stories and demonstrate their support by adding a color filter to their Facebook pic. In any case I thought it was funny how the Republican Party warriors online are trapped now between these self-cancelling messages, like on the one hand the virus is no big deal and we're making all these overreactive decisions that are hurting the economy, meanwhile China Bad and the reason is because they're covering up Communist Monsterkills. But if that's the case then the virus must be even worse than we all realize.

aerdil posted:

i'm not worried, notoriously Correct Marxist redkahina has been on twitter all week debunking this virus and proving it's no worse than a mild flu season

I'm kinda agreeing with Red Kahina too

in petty bourg amerika ventilators are made by craftsmen in their home workshops and garages https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Pandemic-Ventilator/
imperialist backyard furnace
This morning I left the house for the first time since the confinement began to restock on food. It was an eerie atmosphere on the streets of the 93rd, people still walking around without masks, half deserted.

I was walking up a street usually bustling with markets and the thing that made me realize how quiet it was was hearing the cheery tuneless whistling of a cyclist loaded with supplies himself cutting clearly through the odd morning air.

They have big plastic sheeting set up in front of all the checkout which was good to see. Before the confinement only one supermarket, the G20 owned by some Chinese people, had those measures, which protect the workers very well.

I got all the stuff I wish I had gotten last time too, so now I have more snacks and some beer in addition to the necessities. I wasn't out of food per se, but now I'm replenished and have some variety. The confinement is extended to the 15th of April but I'm certain it will go longer than that.

I have learned how to precision fold, so my room is psychotically tidy. Going to vacuum again now, highlight of the day.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/08/02/cnns_cuomo_grills_tulsi_gabbard_you_need_to_acknowledge_bashar_al-assad_is_a_muderous_despot.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/media/chris-cuomo-coronavirus/index.html
a Métis father and son in rural alberta were laid off, couldn't afford groceries and went hunting for food out in the bush somewhere around Glendon, a tiny village of 500 people. it's in somewhat remote forested northern lakelands, a region strong in Métis history. they had protected hunting rights

someone shot them both dead

fuck this nazi country
the son left behind a family with three young kids. they're still dead broke. living up north gets incredibly expensive and it's still the dead of winter up here.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dx63t3-sarahs-support
if you die in your apartment in nyc right now the wait time for a coroner to pick up your corpse is over a day
yeah some ppl i know are dealing with that timeline rn
the city has been under a grim serenity the last two weeks. in my own time i've meditated silently on abjection and annihilation, whilst making sure to check in regularly with those i hold dear to bring some laughter and reassurance. i made a point of taking as much care to also sanitize my communication so as not to compromise the psychological immune system of others that may be more vulnerable and it's helped me retain some balance also.

finding it quite a challenge to plan/act with multiple layers of uncertainty. i feel like i have a brief window in which, if i could think further enough ahead, i could take some decisive actions or know how to position myself to deal with the future however limited my resources and agency are. but ultimately it's probably feeling useful in serving the practical and immediate needs of others that brings me a sense of stability. the realization that if i'm not present there is no other that is stepping in to fill that need can make any task deeply rewarding. so going to do that for a bit; rapidly reshuffling my life to shift base to rural area to care for elderly kin for the next while.

the response in this country is probably better (or at least not as savagely opportunistic) than it would have been had the social democrat coalition not been in power; they recently implemented a moratorium on evictions / cutting services for non-payment, and other limited support structures. used the centralized government control to intervene on private health companies and reallocate their resources towards public health service. so far they are even tolerating emergence of nationwide rent strike. so in that sense i think that whatever global thievery and eugenics are set into motion they will have some initial speedbumps here unless the infighting on the right stops and they threaten to oust current government in order to bring them in line.
the alberta UCP government is forging ahead with its planned austerity butchering of our health care system starting tomorrow. medical professionals have suggested this might not be the best time. our health minister has suggested everyone get fucked, including barging into a doctor's home to scream at him and his children in person. they're putting time, energy and resources into deleting our medical infrastructure instead of fighting the pandemic. i wonder if the private health business interests that own them have realized that they can't actually squeeze money out of piles of corpses

at the same time they just donated 7.5 billion to oil interests to build a (still illegal) pipeline no one actually wants anymore for our shitty oil that no one wanted when it was literally double the price and sure as fuck no one is ever going to want now, at iirc a 30 year low if you adjust for inflation.

i wish they'd stop being so fucking coy and round us up for firing squads already. i'm getting impatient
don't forget that they laid off 20,000+ school support staff and told them to go on federal EI. lol
marg bar alberta
here in mexico it's still very much at the meme stage with around 1200 cases. but i have no idea how it will look in 4 weeks given 60% of workers are in the informal economy and the state here is on the bones of its arse

shriekingviolet posted:

including barging into a doctor's home to scream at him and his children in person

I try not to judge... so easy to say you'll do one of those for old times' sake, then you fall right off the wagon again.

jools posted:

here in mexico it's still very much at the meme stage with around 1200 cases. but i have no idea how it will look in 4 weeks given 60% of workers are in the informal economy and the state here is on the bones of its arse

greetings jools. what's the deal with amlo

that doesn't sound like any hallmark thing i've ever seen.
Benjamin Netanyahu shared with his cabinet a video he claimed was evidence of Iran concealing a whole island filled with tiny people
idk where the hopeful praise of reddit was coming from when today you can see the entire userbase lining up behind mike pence accusing china (and iran, russia, indonesia, and especially north korea) of hiding the extent of its infections. to date, no randomized serological study has completed and so there is practically no scientific consensus as to how deadly or widespread this virus is. (all this despite popular pessimism, see this thread for some sure predictions.) unless yankee agencies are withholding such studies (and the good pompeo swears they are not), they have no conceivable basis in claiming anything whatsoever about this virus, much less about this virus in china. not even worth commenting about how ridiculous this article about urns in china is. but i would caution that the secular anecdotes about mortuaries backing up and refrigerated trucks lining the streets of NYC are of the same sort that are justifying the usual orientalist uproar.

nearlyoctober posted:

idk where the hopeful praise of reddit was coming from when today you can see the entire userbase lining up behind mike pence accusing china (and iran, russia, indonesia, and especially north korea) of hiding the extent of its infections.

um, excuse me. i have never praised reddit or its userbase. i merely observed a degree of skepticism towards that sort of narrative that was extremely unusual for reddit. and to be specific that was on r/coronavirus, i'm sure the news and politics sewers have changed not a jot

I would like to praise the userbase of Reddit.

icon posted:

you just did.

how to cover up assodcurse symptoms

icon posted:

i mean they probably arent violating the stay at home order which is nice

um, excuse me. i have never praised reddit or its userbase. i merely observed a degree of skepticism towards that sort of narrative that was extremely unusual for reddit. and to be specific that was on r/coronavirus, i'm sure the news and politics sewers have changed not a jot

its interesting, to me. because that is one of a couple aggregator sites where China news seems to be managed 24/7 by like an entire branch of Epoch Times/Falun Gong

BJP pays maybe 100s of call centres to have some % of their employees posting on reddit fb etc permanently. And that's apart from their own 'IT hubs'. They have teams of content writers producing argument dialogue trees for trending topics. First as leftcom then as gig. It's not even a secret or anything because groups of those guys from the same village/town rent apartments close to work and will supposedly chat openly about it with anyone. I found all this out from a guy who worked in an IT hub doing php before switching to my employer. Naturally most of these guys hope to be 'promoted' to legit jobs especially if they have btechs. An entire propaganda industry literally run by the government operating openly and no one cares, including me, because all the solutions are waaaay too radical for the people I'm referring to as 'no one'. They will bear anything up to and including mild physical injury if it meant the disney shop window of a parasitic economy leveraging their upwardly mobile rumps continues unperturbed. The opposition to all of this being congressian hand gestures until some big-picture shit hits the fan like right now probably.

On the 'positive' side there has been a trend of left-centre journalists setting up crowdfunded companies based on youtube. A few of them are hosts who were fired for criticising the government. They're doing very valuable work, some of the best journalism our country has produced. Not mere 'content' either but often dangerous fieldwork for below-average pay. I cannot admire enough the people who do it but I know it won't last and their jobs especially for the younger ones are increasingly precarious and politically dangerous. They obviously enjoy their work too (especially the younger ones) which is unheard of in the class most of them seem to hail from but amazingly true in this particular combination of 'alt media' and political climate that lets them be real journalists.
boris "herd immunity" johnson's approval ratings have gone sharply... up?!?! the brits are a broken people

trakfactri posted:

i ventured out into the swampland that is reddit for the first time in a long time, out of morbid curiosity to see how this was all being discussed, and noticed something interesting. there has been an uptick in the past couple of days among the anglo/five eyes news media of China Bad stories - they could've stopped this, they're lying about numbers, etc - and these stories are of course being shared on reddit, but there was a surprising amount of pushback in the top comments. for an overwhelmingly amerikkkan community that usually falls over itself to boost crap about tiananmen tanks grinding students into hamburger, there is now very little appetite for these kind of transparent buck-passing diversion tactics. the fear of what's coming, and the outright anger towards the stewards of empire, is palpable

I think it came up in the China thread how the situation re: HK didn't affect white people, it's abstract enough, so they can just passively absorb the China Bad stories and demonstrate their support by adding a color filter to their Facebook pic. In any case I thought it was funny how the Republican Party warriors online are trapped now between these self-cancelling messages, like on the one hand the virus is no big deal and we're making all these overreactive decisions that are hurting the economy, meanwhile China Bad and the reason is because they're covering up Communist Monsterkills. But if that's the case then the virus must be even worse than we all realize.

It's like the famous "it's not real, but if it was, it was good" Holocaust denial argument, also known as the argument I use in response to my brother citing Amnesty International claims against Cuba.

ilmdge posted:

boris "herd immunity" johnson's approval ratings have gone sharply... up?!?! the brits are a broken people

they know what they did, and understand that there must be cosmic balance

congratulations, you are the one MILLIONTH corona virus diagnosee. click here for a chance to win a free ipad

vimingok posted:

BJP pays maybe 100s of call centres to have some % of their employees posting on reddit fb etc permanently. And that's apart from their own 'IT hubs'. They have teams of content writers producing argument dialogue trees for trending topics. First as leftcom then as gig. It's not even a secret or anything because groups of those guys from the same village/town rent apartments close to work and will supposedly chat openly about it with anyone. I found all this out from a guy who worked in an IT hub doing php before switching to my employer. Naturally most of these guys hope to be 'promoted' to legit jobs especially if they have btechs. An entire propaganda industry literally run by the government operating openly and no one cares, including me, because all the solutions are waaaay too radical for the people I'm referring to as 'no one'. They will bear anything up to and including mild physical injury if it meant the disney shop window of a parasitic economy leveraging their upwardly mobile rumps continues unperturbed. The opposition to all of this being congressian hand gestures until some big-picture shit hits the fan like right now probably.

On the 'positive' side there has been a trend of left-centre journalists setting up crowdfunded companies based on youtube. A few of them are hosts who were fired for criticising the government. They're doing very valuable work, some of the best journalism our country has produced. Not mere 'content' either but often dangerous fieldwork for below-average pay. I cannot admire enough the people who do it but I know it won't last and their jobs especially for the younger ones are increasingly precarious and politically dangerous. They obviously enjoy their work too (especially the younger ones) which is unheard of in the class most of them seem to hail from but amazingly true in this particular combination of 'alt media' and political climate that lets them be real journalists.

can you pls drop some alt media names, esp if they work in tamil/telugu? i'm weary of vijay prashad and p sainath and enjoyed the kanhaiya kumar video you posted ages back

ilmdge posted:

same thing happened with trump. apparently the secret to political success is to just keep a camera in front of your face as you proceed to kill a shitload of people. looking back at history, this strategy checks out.

leaders have learned that if you switch up your clown persona for a few minutes to act a bit solemn people will take you seriously even if you're pumping aerosolized coronavirus directly into their houses. the public loves gravitas!
to comply with social distancing guidelines, us intelligence agencies will be restricting leaks to the media to no more than limited hangouts

88888 posted:

leaders have learned that if you switch up your clown persona for a few minutes to act a bit solemn people will take you seriously even if you're pumping aerosolized coronavirus directly into their houses. the public loves gravitas!

im not sure its the public so much as the media absolutely salivating over that kind of thing. trump pretends to be solemn for 10 minutes and all of a sudden they're ready to anoint him as a great statesman