Fuck that guy.
Thinkin about this https://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/06/world/natalya-reshetovskaya-84-is-dead-solzhenitsyn-s-wife-questioned-gulag.html

"In her 1974 memoir, ''Sanya: My Life with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn'' (Bobbs-Merrill), she wrote that she was ''perplexed'' that the West had accepted ''The Gulag Archipelago'' as ''the solemn, ultimate truth,'' saying its significance had been ''overestimated and wrongly appraised.''

Pointing out that the book's subtitle is ''An Experiment in Literary Investigation,'' she said that her husband did not regard the work as ''historical research, or scientific research.'' She contended that it was, rather, a collection of ''camp folklore,'' containing ''raw material'' which her husband was planning to use in his future productions."
https://www.nytimes.com/1976/03/22/archives/solzhenitsyn-bids-spain-use-caution.html
MADRID, March 21—Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn, the exiled Soviet writer and political dissident, warned Spaniards last night of the dangers of Communism and told liberals not to push too hard for changes because Spain had more freedoms now than the Soviet Union had ever known.

Mr. Solzhenitsyn, who has been traveling in Spain for 10 clays, appeared on a television variety program and spoke in Russian almost without interruption for three quarters of an hour.

As translated simultaneously into Spanish, the writer, who now lives in Zurich, blamed Communism for the death of 110 million Russians and derided those in Spain who complained of dictatorship.

“I have been traveling for 10 days in Spain, nobody knew me, and I could observe with my own eyes,” he said. “I am astonished. Do you know what dictatorship really is? I am going to give you an example that I have personally experienced. No Spaniard has to be tied down to a particular place and has the freedom to choose the city where he would like to live. Soviet citizens cannot travel freely in their own country. We are tied to our cities and it is the local authorities who decide if one can leave.”

And why the fuck not? If the definition of freedom and democracy boils down to more consumption through brutally exploiting people who naturally deserve it for being so stupid and backwards, this makes total sense. Why would a world of less consumption, less hierarchies that to paraphrase Chomsky justify themselves to worthy consumers, less all the things taken for granted in a comfortable middle class life, not have to be hell? It's not propaganda it's affirmation.
solzhenitsyn famously said "nothing is more boring than a man with a career." so true.
http://exiledonline.com/limonov-files-better-red-than-unread-solzhenitsyn-sells-out/
[account deactivated]
Remembering fondly this excerpt wherein a Clinical Professor of Public Health uses a Solzhenitsyn anecdote to say the USSR improved healthcare drastically:

A Comparative Approach to Policy Analysis: Health Care Policy in Four Nations – by Howard M. Leichter, pg 200 1979 Cambridge University Press

trakfactri posted:

http://exiledonline.com/limonov-files-better-red-than-unread-solzhenitsyn-sells-out/

one spook lying about another

Acdtrux posted:

wasn't he wicked antisemite

yes he was an old school White Russian fascist who would have been much harder to promote if his protocols-ass 200 Years Together book had been translated earlier and not systematically ignored by the western propaganda apparatus along with all the other obvious signs

i saw a 40-something-year-old at a pub with a copy of the gulag arkkkipelago stuffed in his jort's back pocket

i fucken hate gen-x
sharting in the my jorts lugubriously as i crack open a fresh copy of Solz

damoj posted:

i saw a 40-something-year-old at a pub with a copy of the gulag arkkkipelago stuffed in his jort's back pocket

i fucken hate gen-x

did you point to the copy of blood lies in your jort's back pocket?

[account deactivated]
oh my god, after all this time i'd forgotten the unforgettable BLOOD ANUS