mEanwhale.....
damn are we gon to have to bomb them again. fuck dude
what's up with the uk government saying that their strategy is to just let most people get the virus and rely on herd immunity. i don't really get what is in it for them, to do that specifically
currently singing the chinese national anthem from my window
corona virus update: my feet fucking hurt an im shuffling around like a coughing zombie

lo posted:

what's up with the uk government saying that their strategy is to just let most people get the virus and rely on herd immunity. i don't really get what is in it for them, to do that specifically

The increased muscle and body mass lead to a change in posture: COVID-19 super mutants have a characteristic, hunched stance. The skin tone changes substantially and becomes gray with tints of light green, though as the mutant ages, it may become more green or even olive. The skin becomes much thicker and resistant to trauma, including cuts, bruises and damage from fire, acid or even gunfire.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/uk-coronavirus-crisis-to-last-until-spring-2021-and-could-see-79m-hospitalised

The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised, a secret Public Health England (PHE) briefing for senior NHS officials reveals.

The document, seen by the Guardian, is the first time health chiefs tackling the virus have admitted that they expect it to circulate for 12 more months and lead to huge extra strain on an already overstretched NHS.

It also suggests that health chiefs are braced for as many as 80% of Britons becoming infected with the coronavirus over that time.

Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical adviser, has previously described that figure as the worst-case scenario and suggested that the real number would turn out to be less than that. However, the briefing makes clear that four in five of the population “are expected” to contract the virus.

The document says that: “As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”...

A senior NHS figure involved in preparing for the growing “surge” in patients whose lives are being put at risk by Covid-19 said an 80% infection rate could lead to more than half a million people dying.

If the mortality rate turns out to be the 1% many experts are using as their working assumption then that would mean 531,100 deaths. But if Whitty’s insistence that the rate will be closer to 0.6% proves accurate, then that would involve 318,660 people dying.

Experts advising governments worldwide on the way epidemics grow and eventually decline say there will be a rapid rise in cases to a peak – and then a falling off. Whitty, who has seen the modelling done by UK and global scientists, says the case numbers will go up fast over the next 10 to 14 weeks.

That will mean a peak at around the end of May to mid-June, when the NHS will be under great pressure. The strategy of all countries is to delay that peak and stretch it out over a longer period of time, so that health services are better able to cope. There is also the possibility that new treatments will be available by then.

Those UK estimates are sobering and the implications for the US are grim to say the least

lo posted:

just because the disease originated in animals and was transmitted to human beings is no guarantee that it can reverse the trip and infect the english

Petrol posted:

it seems irresponsible to simultaneously say were going to let 80% of the population get this thing (completely overloading the ability of the healthcare system to cope with the illness) and that the death rate will be significantly lower than in other places...

lo posted:

it means they're up for all yall dying because (like the US federal govt) they've got no options under a state that has been retooled to seek "profits before people"

tears posted:

Petrol posted:

it seems irresponsible to simultaneously say were going to let 80% of the population get this thing (completely overloading the ability of the healthcare system to cope with the illness) and that the death rate will be significantly lower than in other places...

judging by the death rate, that's simply not true.

this is what happens when you start converting hospitals into luxury condos to please mammon.

i don't really understand why western officials seem to have settled on a 1% death rate at the high end of estimates, because that's certainly not what the actual numbers seem to suggest. but then when i looked at the spanish flu death rate for comparison's sake, the same problem appeared. and this article discusses that discrepancy in a useful way: https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19-is-nothing-like-the-spanish-flu/

long story short i think the 1% death rate estimate might be reasonable but only in a best case scenario of a great healthcare system that has not been overwhelmed - which again raises the question, why present your worst case scenario infection rate and best case scenario death rate together? it is a mystery
anyway based on those infection & death rates the toll in the US would be 1.5-2.5 million, if my extremely rough mental math works out

cars posted:

lo posted:

The increased muscle and body mass lead to a change in posture: COVID-19 super mutants have a characteristic, hunched stance. The skin tone changes substantially and becomes gray with tints of light green, though as the mutant ages, it may become more green or even olive. The skin becomes much thicker and resistant to trauma, including cuts, bruises and damage from fire, acid or even gunfire.

Also if India ends up like Italy or Iran there is no way this govt is able let alone willing to handle that successfully. This pandemic arrived just as the country is beginning to fall apart and I fear that could trigger a fucking genocide.

jeantatlock posted:

lo posted:

it means they're up for all yall dying because (like the US federal govt) they've got no options under a state that has been retooled to seek "profits before people"

oh i'm not in the uk i'm on the other side of the world, the government here actually seems to be taking things seriously, i've just been wondering because even from news coverage their attitude seems fairly insane.

i'm guessing the uk will pivot after they exhaust any market lead attempted by this play or else all other countries would be banning travellers from uk 4 months into the convervatives hard af brexit/eugenics plan in absence of vaccine/etc?

Petrol posted:

what are you talking about? it was the narratives around china's handling of the outbreak that were pure sinophobia. and it's quite reasonable to expect the economic consequences in the west to be far more devastating, not just due to market hysteria but a far far more serious public health situation borne of a refusal to prepare appropriately. i personally expect the US to suffer the worst impact of all, for that reason

one example is this article, it rightly points out the misinformation and sinophobia about China and its response to the virus, but seems to suggest that the U.S. doesn't need to worry very much.
https://www.liberationnews.org/coronavirus-panic-stoked-by-anti-china-media-politicians-myth-vs-fact/

Watching the coverage on the major TV news stations or reading the pages of the New York Times or Washington Post, one gets the impression that this disease is causing massive death around the world and poses a grave threat to the health of people in the United States. The reality is that this public health issue is being cynically manipulated for political purposes.

Well that was obviously an ignorant and shortsighted assertion but, poorly written as the rest of the article is, its main points were correct. If the whole article concerned itself with convincing the reader to ignore the viral threat that would be a problem, instead in a throwaway line it underestimated the problem as the entire rest of the western world did at that time
I already stocked up days ago but I've realized I'm going through beer far too fast so I'm just staying up now until right when the shops open so I can get in and buy a ton of beer before the military starts enforcing the quarantine at noon.

Parenti posted:

I already stocked up days ago but I've realized I'm going through beer far too fast so I'm just staying up now until right when the shops open so I can get in and buy a ton of beer before the military starts enforcing the quarantine at noon.

ganbatte

good luck/health everyone
this is some cliche movie corporate dystopia shit right here: https://verily.com/

Parenti posted:

supply run successful. welcome to the military quarantine, i'm going to get a buzz every single night of it.

[account deactivated]
So here's something: the bloated monstrosity known as "health care" in the United $nakkke$ is one of its largest employers and it has a low ratio of those employed to those directly working to improve or maintain the health of the population, yet it is probably still the #1 most efficient route of transmission of a coronavirus because of the concentric rings of exploitation built around those actually providing medical care. and you better believe a whole bunch of the people who work for it are still going in to work as usual every day this week.
this was a bad time for my bulk bags of grains to run out. but on the bright side now i get to clean out the back of the cabinet of all these c-tier grains i've only used once like black rice and amaranth. idk how tf to cook this crap. amaranth can be popped like popcorn. that's the best i've got so far.

to anyone freaking out: fear is a useful signal that orients you to take action to secure safety. but if you've done all that you can do to be safe (and if you're chronically anxious, surely you already have) and the shit still sticks around, it starts to steal from you and make you miserable. wishing yall peace, or at least whatever state of misery is typical for you
i am tear's morbid fascination as 29,811 nucleotides go hog wild
cant wait for all the lessons that will be learned from this
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the governor of my state brian kemp just became the most powerful governor in Georgia's history. As of yesterday he has the power to

-Suspend laws and regulations
-Take over or force healthcare facilities to provide services
-Commandeer private property
-Direct or force evacuations if deemed necessary
-Take money from the state treasury

same dude who rigged the elections last year
i hope you feel better tears~!

dizastar posted:

imagine being proud of feeding into the paranoia induced hoarding mentality LOL ... theres a line in front of every grocery stores n supermarket and shelves are empty because of this despicable behavior. ive heard about people stealing from other peoples shopping carts, people pushing each other and so on just for some food
the gov should just install rationing since its already martial law starting today... you need to print a paper from the government website with a valid reason to go outside (groceries/work/individual workout like going for a run/health/taking care of a family member) else the military or the kkkops can just pin you with a big fine. this suckss

There should have been a quarantine weeks ago. I'm out in the suburbs and there aren't any shortages here because we have tons of turkish/malian/"orientale" boucheries and shops. I stocked up before anyone was panicking because I wanted to avoid the crowds, and I got the beer right when the store opened so there were no crowds. I don't think it's despicable to stock up at all during the quarantine. A few days ago I bought a ton of food for my Great-Aunt and some of her elderly neighbors because I don't want them going outside and dying.

dizastar posted:

staying in watching the number one radio broadcast of the afrikan diaspora hes taking in callers that convey their experience in their respective areas
maybe im thinking too much into it also but this whole martial law business reminds me of how they pushed the vigipirate (post nu-gladio green terror terrorist attacks security plan) into entering the normal constitution. theres big risks they'll maintain this overly repressive state even after the virus is gone, maybe not in the city centers where the petit bourgeoisie gotta maintain their lifestyle™ but in the periphery area this might be the perfect occasion to deploy their militarized police plan theyve been talking about

i agree. there was that report on the banlieus last year by the interior department that suggested something like this. i don't think the state right now is overly repressive - i think times like this the state should be repressive, but there is a genuine worry that they won't dial it back down when this is over (whatever that means). it's justified as a state of exception but they'll probably try to make it the status quo.

[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

i hope you feel better tears~!

thanks friend :)