it's a good show. the communists are depicted fairly sympathetically, the trotskyists are dumb stooges. The only Soviet character is a corrupt ambassador rather than a representation of Soviet communists, not really a spoiler but at one point one character reminds him that his activities would get him executed back home. I haven't finished the second season yet, but the soviets are mostly offscreen otherwise, except for their cooperation with the illegal reichswehr in developing airforce technology being an important detail, but from what I remember this actually happened.

Berlin being "the reddest city in Europe" as Goebbels described it, is a big part of the atmosphere of the show. Several of the red neighborhoods face off against the cops on May Day in one episode and the cops are shown to be violent lying pigs. All the reactionaries are actually depicted as bad people in the show, even the Russian aristocrat who is trying to save her family's fortune from Stalin. The nazis have gotten almost 0 screentime but I'm only half way so.

vimingok posted:

I finished the 1st season, it was good. My prediction did come true, nazis killed the Jewish police chief and framed the reds. And great job by the actress playing the communist doctor. I enjoyed the acting in general, and the art style music etc. In fact this may be the best TV show I've seen, certainly the only one I wanted to see past season 1.

vimnigok i think you finished the 3rd season lol. oh well.

Apparently that's the ending of the 2nd one and season 3 just released. The torrent has wrong filenames. Anyway good show, worth watching.

vimingok posted:

vimingok posted:

tears posted:

vimingok posted:

Any recommendations for alternatives to Adam Curtis?

try neon genesis evangelion

I'll google it but I was asking for documentaries about regime change stuff bold enough not to make claims like 'communist land redistribution caused tribal unrest in Afghanistan because grey area'.

Everyone ignored me so now I won't share the cool regime change documentary that I just found all by myself.

try rEbuild of evangelion

JFK by Oliver Stone. It's bad, folks. It's incomprehensible, which is usually fun in a conspiracy movie, but it's essentially a biopic of Jim Garrison, which means 1) it's boring, and 2) there's no narrative through-line to hang the conspiracy babble on. I am absolutely convinced that it was the gay fascists who killed Kennedy though.
im watching the french comedy Au Service de la France on netflix, which has a terribly unfunny english title translation. a dude stumbles into working for 1960s french intelligence, and its full of useless idiot pieces of shit (relatable.) so far the show doesn't pull any punches about how everything the agency does is callously evil, makes a lot of fun of french colonial arrogance. think they're setting up for the main villain to be a vichy regime collaborator. i like it so far
[account deactivated]
sorry search isnt working and I cant be bothered to read the rest of the thread, can anyone recommend any movies re: winnipeg?
yes
studio ghibli should do a movie version of tristram shandy

Acdtrux posted:

I would absolutely recommend the movie: My Winnipeg, directed by Guy Maddin.

It"s a fake history of true events in Winnipeg, mixed with a true history of fake events in Winnipeg. The story is also a history of the psychological demeanor of the main character, who tries in vain to leave Winnipeg.

this movie really resonated and made me fall in love with Winnipeg, a shit town I hadn't even visited, at the time everyone around me was desperate to leave Edmonton (a shit town that I love) and many did. when I finally did have a chance to visit Winnipeg in the depths of winter I was real pleased.

The Brink a TV show about US foreign policy shenanigans featuring the guy from that prison break film where his character gets raped after playing the letter duet from Figaro without permission.

I just looked it up on imdb it's Tim Robbins. Oh and there's another The Brink which is a Bannon doc from 2019; probably worth watching as well.
Mandorian.
Phly daily youtubes.

vimingok posted:

this is v bad, it makes me feel bad, and i hate it

imo stop posting that shit.

cars posted:

it's back

sitting in my comfy computer chair and clicking and then watching the jimmy kimmel show clips posted on the communist web forum

lo posted:

sitting in my comfy computer chair and clicking and then watching the jimmy kimmel show clips posted on the communist web forum

Ramcharanreddy Gudi
10 months ago
90% of my life is just watching the hundreds of Mayor Pete videos

BnaBreaker
10 months ago
I'm from South Bend and I LOVE MY MAYOR... I'm so ridiculously proud of him. LOVE YOU PETEY!

Peggy Stearns
10 months ago
Well, he's refreshingly likable, that's for sure.

Eugene Ax
10 months ago (edited)
I miss politicians like Pete who had a sense of humor.

gdouglas999
10 months ago
Pete Buttigieg is exactly the antidote for the poison that is currently festering in the White House.

Florencio Almirol
11 months ago
Mayor Pete has that unassuming charm. Talks and listens like he really cares about you

^^
Used to have fun with those on diwali.

vimingok posted:

Used to have fun with those on diwali.

have you noticed any graying skin, shaking, irritability, sore gums, increased saliva production, memory loss, persistent metallic taste, personality changes, kidney failiure or brain damage?

Flying horse in Saudi Arabia.
rip Stuart Gordon
Lefty youtube channel that is Good, Actually:

Found in search results for 'J Sakai interview'. Btw did Sakai do any audio interviews except the only one I can find?
audio interviews with maoists is a good topic actually, i was trying to find some stuff to sample at one point but its tricky when all the coolest ideologues aren't English speakers.
tucked away in a forgotten directory, cruft of various filesystem backups, os reinstalls, and reshufflings, i found i have a 15 year old copy of planetes, so im watching that

ialdabaoth posted:

tucked away in a forgotten directory, cruft of various filesystem backups, os reinstalls, and reshufflings, i found i have a 15 year old copy of planetes, so im watching that

sifting through hard drive geostrata is a fun staying home "working" activity. here's a cool blast from the past i found recently: