Lets face it, it’s a software engineering marvel. There is no two ways about it. Fast, reliable, versatile and maintainable, systemd is an extremely powerful piece of technology that has revolutionized GNU/Linux and it has been working wonders on my new Arch Linux box and has made my life much easier. No doubt I have heard from many others saying the same thing all around blogs and forums. The one place I did not hear nice things about systemd is the same place in which I never hear anything nice about Linux. BSD people’s mouths (example: scalisblog, freebsd forums etc.).

But systemd was not made for BSD and has not been running on BSD ever so why are these mindless zealots making such fuss and accusations about it?

It’s because more and more FLOSS applications are integrating with systemd and thus making use of the advanced features it offers. However in doing so, they effectively incorporate features that can only be satisfied by the Linux kernel and thus making them difficult or impossible to port to other non-Linux kernels such as the BSDs. This will inevitably lead to the BSD’s being starved of both properly working server and desktop applications and environments (e.g. GNOME, Xfce etc.) which will in turn reduce the usefulness and attractiveness of BSD even farther.

So is it the GNU/Linux people’s problem that this sort of thing happened? Absolutely not. The fault is with the BSDs which fail to keep up as they cannot expect GNU/Linux developers to slow down just for them. GNU/Linux developers also should not be burdened with making their software portable and helping BSD as it would be silly to help out your competitors especially in this case when the competitors are proprietary friendly pieces of junk. In fact the greatest advantage of systemd is that it can be used as a tool for free software projects to prevent their software from being ported to BSD.

In effect, systemd is becoming the bane of BSD.
The answer is the opposite, they literally give up code. Because their moronic BSD license allows the change of the copyright as modification of the source code, the BSD serfs will have to remove the part of their code that Sony used. Therefore the BSDs do not benefit, they don’t even get nothing. They lose the right to their code. This is why BSD is so far behind GNU/Linux in everything. There is no other word to call it. It’s slavery and the BSD people deserve it as well as their other misfortunes but what’s extremely sad is that their own actions are causing the slavery of others.

Really the only way to stop this atrocity by these BSD serfs is to ban BSD style licensing altogether.
i use linux (ubuntu 18.1) but have managed learn to nothing about it for two years. opening the terminal terrifies me. i once uninstalled my own graphics drivers and it would slow to a halt and then crash everytime i opened a window.

sometimes i play dominions 5 (note: i do not know how to install mods for dominions 5 for linux)
i use windows 10 on a gaming laptop with a glowing keyboard which i use for excel spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations

sissyfuss posted:

i use linux (ubuntu 18.1) but have managed learn to nothing about it for two years. opening the terminal terrifies me. i once uninstalled my own graphics drivers and it would slow to a halt and then crash everytime i opened a window.

sometimes i play dominions 5 (note: i do not know how to install mods for dominions 5 for linux)

if you use ubuntu you will never learn anything, they purposefully obscure the underlying stuff to the users detriment which doesnt seem to work well in general but especially not on linux. like i was on a laptop with an amd graphics chip for a while, and im sure you know the situation with proprietary drivers is pretty bad htouhg its much better than it used to be (integrated intel works best but for good cards i think nvidia is the better choice if you use linux, amd is fucked beyond belief). anyhow theres an issue where every time the proprietary amd drivers are updated (there are open-source ones too but no one uses them because they are so bad really, like kms doesnt even work with them lmfao) it breaks the x server. however the amd drivers are always u[pdated before the x server is, so if you just mindlessly update it will break your x server! naturally ubuntu doesnt handle this well, so if you search for why your screen is just black after booting up, and go to the ubuntu forums, there are a ton of confused users trying to help each other but no one knows anything so their shit is just broken and they have no idea how to figure it out lol. i only knew this because i read the arch wiki, the best thing about arch imo is 1 the extensive documentation and 2 the aur. but its really not that hard to pick up jsut go arch. if you have systemd hjangups artix is good option too, its just a fork of arch with a different init system

ah i made an error its been awhile. i guess its the proprietary amd catalyst drivers that dont support kms lmfao. thats cool to me personally, i love having an ugly stretched out screen when im not using the x server
the new hoi4 dlc seems "okay" as usual
i am sorry to say that i am aware of the systemd controversy and do not wish to discuss it!!

Petrol posted:

i am sorry to say that i am aware of the systemd controversy and do not wish to discuss it!!

good lord

nah i don't have any strong opinions about it 😅
i also use ubuntu but i cant imagine using it without the terminal, that "software center" for installing programs is an absolute black box abomination. plus theres the advantage that whatever insane beginner problem you manage to cook up, if its in ubuntu someone else did it before you and you can just read the first 3 google results and resolve it by following the suggestion of extremely patient online question answerers. plus it runs openMW and openRCT2 nicely so whats not to like
i been running debian since sarge and never seen no reason to switch to any of its kids

tho when i pull a laptop out of a dumpster i usually put bunsenlabs on it

ialdabaoth posted:

i been running debian since sarge and never seen no reason to switch to any of its kids

debian squeeze was the first linux i tried.. back then if you accidentally unplugged a usb drive without unmounting itd trash the filesystem ahahhahaha

my dad is a graphic designer so i grew up on macs in the classic macos era, think my first computer was a system 7 machine. i read macaddict obsessively and when os x came around i jumped on the unix/linux train.. being 9 years old and getting in trouble for reading uhhhhh this https://www.amazon.com/Sad-Macs-Bombs-Other-Disasters/dp/0201688107 and various unix manuals under my desk during class ftw

i have a bunch of useless knowledge about the architecture of pre-os x operating systems now i guess! resedit ftw
[account deactivated]
im certain being exposed to this did something to my mind lmfao

Acdtrux posted:

openbsd is ahead in certain kernel security aspects

yah im aware, maybe it wasnt clear but that was copypasta from the insane bsd hating mans blog that i posted on the previous page

i love precise puppy will never forget the feeling of loadin that disc up for the first time on my shitty toshiba laptop with a busted ide drive

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Acdtrux posted:

The controversy around sysd is conufsing to me .. it seems like it's a combination of "it does too many things" (which is a fair complaint, but imo it does them well) and "the NSA put code in it that hasn't been audited" (also fair but I would never want to care about this kind of thing .. you have to reject all recent hardware to get security at this level).

well im stupid and i care that its a massive violation of the unix philosophy, but a direct consequence of that is that it has massive security issues. its a giant monolithic piece of software that has greatly increased the attack surface by operating that way. theres other stuff i really hate such as json logging. i cant believe javascript webdev brain is in my os now it makes me unreasonably upset. theres a bunch of shitty stuff about it and i was gonna link you to the "arguments against systemd" page but it appears theyre having some trouble right now with the website

we need to shut this down before i actually engage in a systemd flamewar. i cannot do this to myself and the people around me, that i care for, such as the posters on this webforum
i dont have any opinions about systemd actually. this is a bit. im doing a bit because its very funny and thats the only reason. i dont have brain worms at all.. you can trust me
truely, this forum teeters on the cusp of all out systemd flame war

tears posted:

truely, this forum teeters on the cusp of all out systemd flame war

youre right, it wasnt a well-thought out joke

Edited by graphicalUSSRinterface ()

YOSPOS

Acdtrux posted:

I'm a huge fan of fedora,

Get out

i played the ff7 remake demo. i dont really have anything to say about it. it was fun? it looks nice. thank you for reading my post about the ff7 remake demo.

Petrol posted:

thank you for reading my post about the ff7 remake demo.

your first mistake was assuming i can read

the #1 wish of the Internet for the final fantasy 7 remake is that its rewritten script will eliminate all ambiguity or room for interpretation concerning the story's events, its characters and its themes. crowd-sourced construction of a spanking machine
There is a sudden Online consensus that FF7's villain is "not a character" and the new game needs a more "lore" to "flesh out" someone whose motivations are already explored in multiple interactive flashbacks so long and in-depth that the game stops at one point to give the player a bathroom break. This is because the designers canned the original story's slow build to the villain's appearance so they could release one-third of the game and sell the other two-thirds as separate products while still showing the character in action in the first product's trailer. The collective memory of the previous approach as effective storytelling must be purged so that the Internet can salve its anxiety over a new revised translation of nostalgia's holy writ. Whom the gods would destroy they first make buttmad.
eco terrorists who summon odin to zantetsuken the corrupt bureaucrats? wonder what sakai would say
on the plus side, the remake makes it absolutely clear the three main characters did 9/11
the advantage of not having played the original game and not being a member of any gameing communities online is that i have no idea about anything cars is talking about and simply enjoyed playing a free demo of a video game.

kamelred posted:

eco terrorists who summon odin to zantetsuken the corrupt bureaucrats? wonder what sakai would say

sakai would nod with approval because he already got all the limit breaks and bred a gold chocobo over 15 years ago

[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

the advantage of not having played the original game and not being a member of any gameing communities online is that i have no idea about anything cars is talking about and simply enjoyed playing a free demo of a video game.

I have a plug-in to turn off comments on news articles and I should go back there. if i had to guess what “gamers” are saying it’s probably something about the cross dressing parts.

it has been brought to my attention that zantetsuken does not work on bosses. i feel so stupid. im sorry, everybody
as you should