cars posted:

since dr cat removed the scrabble dictionary posts, when I use search my top two most frequent results are

1) the post where I posted the entire text of the neon genesis evangelion article from the neon genesis evangelion wiki,

2) the post where I copy-pasted a story about Doctor Doom in a pokemon tournament

well maybe if you didn't constantly search for "nani"

i only watch anime and i have filled a 5tb drive with various sorts of weebshit, which prompted me to order another one. anyone seen eizouken. its anime of the season. havent seen it yet myself but it looks high quality.. though i will admit i am primarily a moe viewer these days
my taste in anime is pretty uhh specific at this point, and my friend kento knows my taste very well, its really impressive on his part how easily he can clock it. he introduced me to this show called mahoujin guruguru, which was adapted from a manga by hiroyuki eto. a few months before he asked if i liked this anime i had been going on about this other manga by the same author called gadget that i was obsessed with for a while, which spanned two volumes and only one of which was released here. well upon googling i found out that the same guy wrote them lmfao. pretty impressive.. anyhow i have an incredibly stupid sense of humor and i love dr slump, arale is one of my favorite anime characters of all time. mahoujin guruguru got a reboot recently that i have not seen, ive only watched the 90s one. anyway!

in addition i just want to put it out there that nausicaa is the best ghibli film and spirited away is overrated, which used to be common sense knowledge, it was the correct opinion. everyone agreed! but if you say that now all the entry-level new weebs will jump on you like youre being an asshole.
uh.,. can we PLEASE get some anime discourse up in here. thabk you for youre consideration.
Nausicaa, kiki's and only yesterday are my favourite ghibli films. let's get everyones rankings.
lol this too

blinkandwheeze posted:

Nausicaa, kiki's and only yesterday are my favourite ghibli films. let's get everyones rankings.

nausicaa, porco rosso and totoro for my top 3. i know totoro is a basic choice but if you watch it with very young children who get super into it, it's an incredibly moving experience. a friend of mine handstiched a catbus plushie for her girls, they love it. i actually haven't seen only yesterday tho, thanks for the reminder!

what's everyone's favorite Satoshi Kon, i can't watch more than 5 minutes of millenium actress at a time without crying. getting a little weepy just typing this lol

shriekingviolet posted:

i know totoro is a basic choice but if you watch it with very young children who get super into it, it's an incredibly moving experience.

i was obsessed with totoro as a kid. watched it over and over and over again as three year olds do. this is deeply embedded into my brain

shriekingviolet posted:

what's everyone's favorite Satoshi Kon,

i hate admitting that the only satoshi kon ive seen is paranoia agent.. oops

my kid is literally three and extremely into totoro now. when he first saw it and i could see how delighted he was it was a bit emotional for me. when he was younger and has less attention span he really liked ponyo and that gave me a much better appreciation for that film.

anyway i am here to tell you that the hidden gem for any ghibli liker is miyazaki's 1978 tv series "future boy conan". if you haven't seen it, run don't walk to your nearest purveyor of bootleg anime torrents, because tragically there is no legit way to watch it in the west

Petrol posted:

my kid is literally three and extremely into totoro now. when he was younger and has less attention span he really liked ponyo and that gave me a much appreciation for that film.

i have a j-core track for every situation

Petrol posted:

anyway i am here to tell you that the hidden gem for any ghibli liker is miyazaki's 1978 tv series "future boy conan". if you haven't seen it, run don't walk to your nearest purveyor of bootleg anime torrents, because tragically there is no legit way to watch it in the west

havent seen this one!! but its one of the few i have left that i havent. the others i think are my neighbors the yamadas and pom poko. ive even seen panda kopanda

Thx to Damoj for bringing my attention to this limitless abyss of pleasure.

Petrol posted:

my kid is literally three and extremely into totoro now.

did you manage to get ahold of the fox dub.. or was it too hard to find. new dub is so bad and while im obviously a subs person i make an exception for like stuff i grew up with i guess, i like to experience it the same way i did originally

For some reason this video was the top recommendation for the one I just posted. There was an nyt thing last year about an ex-altright guy and now there's him and many more to come I'm sure. What I don't understand is why this is supposed to be interesting or significant enough to warrant nyt articles. I guess for the same reason Ben Shapiro is popular. Also will this be the next online cottage industry? Escape from the altright and make some money off talking about it, lol.

Another one. I have a feeling the avg altright dude doesn't look like either of these people. And those who "escape" from it do not thereby relent to the wisdom of 'Hillary bad but not in a racist way'. I know an ex-RSS guy who is now a communist. Worked in a BJP propaganda cell in Mumbai when there was nothing to do on his farm. The only thing about his worldview that changed is the anti-Islam stuff and he didn't even believe in that because he's known Muslims all his life.
marketwatch LOL

dimashq posted:

marketwatch LOL

Petrol posted:

well maybe if you didn't constantly search for "nani"

ironically, my very first search for it a few seconds after I read your post says you’re the first person in the history of the forums to post it

we would get high and watch Totoro at least once a month my junior year of high school. we made a soundboard of slowed-down Totoro clips for prank calls, mostly the bus and Totoro sounds but another favorite was a 0.5x speed clip of the one girl shouting MAGIC NUTS

cars posted:

we would get high and watch Totoro at least once a month my junior year of high school. we made a soundboard of slowed-down Totoro clips for prank calls, mostly the bus and Totoro sounds but another favorite was a 0.5x speed clip of the one girl shouting MAGIC NUTS

i called gamestop three times in the span of an hour once asking for battletoads

top animes:
tony hawks pro skater
neom genesis evanglions
the pikachu one
rick and marty
the matrix
gordon ramsy kitchen nightmare

blinkandwheeze posted:

Ponpoko, The Wind Rises, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies are all great political movies. Princess Mononoke is under-appreciated in this respect, as people miss the context of Miyazaki presenting hidden aspects of medieval Japanese history and connecting them to present struggles, based on his reading of historian Yoshihiko Amino. And then as far as the movies aimed at younger children, My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are my favorites. In general, it's a miracle that Marxists have had creative control in Japan's most famous animation studio and hopefully people will keep watching these movies long after everything Disney made is thrown in the dustbin of history.

marimite posted:

Ponpoko, The Wind Rises, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies are all great political movies. Princess Mononoke is under-appreciated in this respect, as people miss the context of Miyazaki presenting hidden aspects of medieval Japanese history and connecting them to present struggles, based on his reading of historian Yoshihiko Amino. And then as far as the movies aimed at younger children, My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are my favorites. In general, it's a miracle that Marxists have had creative control in Japan's most famous animation studio and hopefully people will keep watching these movies long after everything Disney made is thrown in the dustbin of history.

i enjoyt this post.

graphicalUSSRinterface posted:

Petrol posted:

my kid is literally three and extremely into totoro now.

did you manage to get ahold of the fox dub.. or was it too hard to find. new dub is so bad and while im obviously a subs person i make an exception for like stuff i grew up with i guess, i like to experience it the same way i did originally

I didn't bother and I'll tell you why. Until my kid came along I only ever knew the sub because I didn't see any ghibli stuff until I was an adult! So I don't have any nostalgia for the old dubs but I'm aware a lot of people do. I think the new dub is fine tbh but that's because I'm not comparing it to anything. And it's on netflix here and I have a netflix login so I just use that. Convenience is king when it comes to keeping a toddler entertained.

If you need the old dubs of that or any other ghiblis I got the hookup btw, PM me.

graphicalUSSRinterface posted:

Petrol posted:

havent seen this one!! but its one of the few i have left that i havent. the others i think are my neighbors the yamadas and pom poko. ive even seen panda kopanda

Yeah I've seen that too haha, cool to see where the totoro design came from. You REALLY REALLY have to see future boy conan though, I need someone to talk to about it lol

Anyone with a vague interest in ghibli stuff who hasn't seen it is hereby ordered to watch FUTURE BOY CONAN aka CONAN, THE BOY FROM FUTURE.

these are all the same version so take your pick and enjoy... torrent | mega | youtube playlist

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

im watching this ftw
i will attempt to watch future boy conan soon but who knows! im unreliable as fuck so hahaha

blinkandwheeze posted:

The Wind Rises
Vampire HUnter D: Bloodlust
Pricness Monononoe

i only saw Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies and that's the ranking
you only see him when you're very young, a magical adventure for youuuu *drumsticks clatter into holder* its magic for you wait wait come on andy im done ill stop. come on man
Babylon Berlin (set in 1929 Germany) is great. They've just released a new series but I'm at episode 2 of the 1st one, will probably watch up to ep 4 tonight. The soviets got pwned by an exploding train, but a badass commie doctor lady showed up calling for radical change in the evil capitalist system that oppresses the German proletariat. No nazis so far, I'm guessing they will be revealed in the finale as the genius puppeteers making events line up in their favour.
[account deactivated]

vimingok posted:

Babylon Berlin (set in 1929 Germany) is great. They've just released a new series but I'm at episode 2 of the 1st one, will probably watch up to ep 4 tonight. The soviets got pwned by an exploding train, but a badass commie doctor lady showed up calling for radical change in the evil capitalist system that oppresses the German proletariat. No nazis so far, I'm guessing they will be revealed in the finale as the genius puppeteers making events line up in their favour.

I'm gonna watch that because I saw a clip from it depicting a communist demonstration outside of a police building, and the communist leader is awesome and has huge energy. I imagine her name being something like Anna Core Damage. "We don't keep cool... our blood is boiling RED" and then this big crowd turns and goes "rrrrraaaaaaaAAAAHHHH" and shakes their fists at the cops staring down from the windows while taking drags on their cigarettes and muttering to themselves like "oh dear." That was pretty cool.

trakfactri posted:

Anna Core Damage

attn lurkers now is the time to register an account with an extremely powerful name

I finished the 1st season, it was good. My prediction did come true, nazis killed the Jewish police chief and framed the reds. And great job by the actress playing the communist doctor. I enjoyed the acting in general, and the art style music etc. In fact this may be the best TV show I've seen, certainly the only one I wanted to see past season 1.

vimingok posted:

tears posted:

vimingok posted:

Any recommendations for alternatives to Adam Curtis?

try neon genesis evangelion

I'll google it but I was asking for documentaries about regime change stuff bold enough not to make claims like 'communist land redistribution caused tribal unrest in Afghanistan because grey area'.

Everyone ignored me so now I won't share the cool regime change documentary that I just found all by myself.