swampman posted:

Petrol posted:

we simply disagree that it 'glorifies' nazis. its nazis are a muddled and not really successful combination of dopey caricature and, at times, humanity.

compared to what fascists actually are, this is glorification

a dog has never been fascist, nor a fish, nor a robot. i don't see how pretending fascists aren't human helps fight fascism, except in an actual war setting, in which case by all means dehumanise and face to bloodshed

Petrol posted:

swampman posted:

Petrol posted:

we simply disagree that it 'glorifies' nazis. its nazis are a muddled and not really successful combination of dopey caricature and, at times, humanity.

compared to what fascists actually are, this is glorification

a dog has never been fascist, nor a fish, nor a robot. i don't see how pretending fascists aren't human helps fight fascism, except in an actual war setting, in which case by all means dehumanise and face to bloodshed

But the characters are humanised (neglect their fascist beliefs) in precisely the scenario which the strongest arguments against fascism are premissed upon. Also when communists win they shoot children. That's a strong case for a movie being fascist propaganda, even though fascist humanity and communists shooting children are both real. I haven't seen the movie.

Bablu posted:

nah yaar lekin udhar tak dikhta hair janmsthaan sey, so maybe technically

mera dono bablu naam ka dost waha se hai hence why I was curious lol

imagine watching a taika waititi movie lol

sovnarkoman posted:

this is even dumber than anything swampman has said in this thread

i didn't even think the film was good (and said as much in my first post about it) but the reaction to me defending it as Not Mein Kampf has me wanting to peace the fuck out of this forum for real. if i wanted to deal with angry boneheaded takes about mass media i would never have left twitter, but i did, many years ago, because that shit is toxic and pointless. so i am going to stop posting in this thread now and focus on finishing up my Q&A thread in the pdf forum and then i'll think about my future here
i highly doubt the movie jojorabbit is anywhere near as fascist as say "friends" or "love island"
This thread owns right now
Theatrical producer Taika Waititi has fallen on hard times. In an attempt to acquire some money, Taika and his accountant conspire to select the worst forum, the worst thread, the worst subject, and the worst argument to collaborate on a guaranteed flop, entitling them to keep the FBI's excess money.
FTR I wasn't implying it's wrong to enjoy art interpretable as malicious propaganda.

Dancing atop moving buses causes accidents.
a stimulant-addicted group of self centered and repulsive white parasites mooch of the super-exploitation of their fellow humans in the global south to work very little and live a life of goofy uncaring luxury in one of the most expensive residential locations in the world, constructed by slaves and built on the remains of a civilization nearly destroyed through genocide just a few short decades ago. the italian character is the stupid one.

tears posted:

god dammn this still makes me crack up lol

vimingok posted:

FTR I wasn't implying it's wrong to enjoy art interpretable as malicious propaganda.

Dancing atop moving buses causes accidents.

Also FTR the dancing bit was meant as a joke, obviously the real issue with it is normalising rape culture like the rest of Indian media. If meant for Northern Indian audiences add Hindutva fascism, of late invigorated and polished up for expats and the native urban IT castes with the country's life blood.

Petrol posted:

sovnarkoman posted:

this is even dumber than anything swampman has said in this thread

sorry i recently tried watching that vampire movie that won him acclaim in the first place and it was outrageously boring i guess i am still bitter about that lol, didnt mean to get involved in the whole jojo and head hitler in cinema discussion

i mean ur legally not allowed to make a nazi movie with united snakkkes money without also putting in a few scenes showing that the soviet soldiers were also child murderers and rapists of course, the only heroes were redblooded american caucasians from iowa who grew up on a farm
I had a friend who lived in Iowa, so they were a bunch of religious weirdos who drank alot.

Petrol posted:

i didn't even think the film was good (and said as much in my first post about it) but the reaction to me defending it as Not Mein Kampf has me wanting to peace the fuck out of this forum for real. if i wanted to deal with angry boneheaded takes about mass media i would never have left twitter, but i did, many years ago, because that shit is toxic and pointless. so i am going to stop posting in this thread now and focus on finishing up my Q&A thread in the pdf forum and then i'll think about my future here

Having anchored that sense of loss and pain to the door, you can trigger it whenever needed. Whatever negative behavior may come up that you want to stop, the first time you just get up and slam the door. Whether you walk out the door depends on the level of bullshit. On later occasions you can just indicate tbe door in some manner. The example Alex gives: If he's talking on the phone and getting any crap from her, and he knows the relation of where the door is to her desk, he says, "sweetheart, could you please turn right and take a look at what's over there.." and that was the end of the bullshit."

kinda annoyed that no one told me life was gonna be this way; my jobs a joke, im broke, my love lifes doa. tbh its like im always stuck in second gear; it really hasnt been my day or my week, hell it hasn't been my year

sovnarkoman posted:

i recently tried watching that vampire movie that won him acclaim in the first place and it was outrageously boring

yeah i didn't get the fuss over that either. watch 'boy' and/or 'hunt for the wilderpeople'

Petrol posted:

i don't see how pretending fascists aren't human helps fight fascism, except in an actual war setting,

https://www.military.com/base-guide/browse-by-service
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/birth-defects-plague-iraq-10-years-us-invasion/story?id=18793428
http://www.arrestrecords.com/the-28-most-dangerous-prisons-in-america/
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-massive-naval-blockade-could-bring-china-its-knees-war-50957
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/02/15/defend-the-white-race-american-extremists-being-co-opted-by-ukraines-far-right/
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/syrian-killed-rare-clash-troops-government-forces-200212151039111.html
https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-clears-oakland-to-evict-homeless-from-camp/
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/aug/10/the-nauru-files-2000-leaked-reports-reveal-scale-of-abuse-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention
https://humaneborders.org/migrant-death-mapping/
https://laborrights.org/blog/201509/impunity-honduras-–-will-chiquita-take-stand
i cant believe there is so much violence, and the war hasnt even started yet

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

swampman posted:

Having anchored that sense of loss and pain to the door, you can trigger it whenever needed. Whatever negative behavior may come up that you want to stop, the first time you just get up and slam the door. Whether you walk out the door depends on the level of bullshit. On later occasions you can just indicate tbe door in some manner. The example Alex gives: If he's talking on the phone and getting any crap from her, and he knows the relation of where the door is to her desk, he says, "sweetheart, could you please turn right and take a look at what's over there.." and that was the end of the bullshit."

I get excited when I read a new book too

I don't think personal attacks are a good way to get your point across, but I'm sorry if I was insensitive to your needs. I didn't see any harm in a little discussion about the ideology behind pop art - I thought that helping my fellow internet users to avoid uncritically consuming Nazi apologetics would be doing them a favor - apparently I was wrong. Have a great day. Oh and if you end up staying up and catching schindler's list on TV later tonight i would NOT mention this itt
I apologise for my outburst. I don't apologise for my feelings about all this. I have requested account deletion in the appropriate place because, for the (about to be deleted anyway) record, when I said this kind of thing makes me want to leave it wasnt a tactic to try and win an argument.
Well, it was controlling behavior actually, threatening me with the loss of your online friendship to make me feel bad about confidently defending my opinion. Maybe you didn't calculate it like that but that's how it came out. Also, you referred to my arguing with you as "shitting" on you. I think the final move of withholding the very valuable resource of all your past and future posts from the entire community is in line with this. I invite you to re read what I have posted in the last two pages and remind me what I said that seemed intended to elicit your unhappy reaction - I am happy to self criticize if I've been disingenuously goading you.
please keep posting Petrol

filler posted:

I get excited when I read a new book too

Thats a goons.txt item from like 15 years ago. "Careful with that one it's an antique" would be more appropriately dismissive in this case

half the point of this forum is to read insane but plausible opinions like washing machines are fascist or whatever so i think everyone needs to chill out about the hollywood film's politics. plus the dprk q & a hasn't been concluded yet
if everyone is gonna be deleting their accounts after a dumb argument, every thread in the archives is going to be unreadable ,many of which are valuable (conspiracy thread, etc).

is this not the :assadcurse: manifest before our very eyes?
i will never stop posting, and i must be opposed at any cost. you all have a free pass now. leave your door open

swampman posted:

Well, it was controlling behavior actually, threatening me with the loss of your online friendship to make me feel bad about confidently defending my opinion. Maybe you didn't calculate it like that but that's how it came out. Also, you referred to my arguing with you as "shitting" on you. I think the final move of withholding the very valuable resource of all your past and future posts from the entire community is in line with this. I invite you to re read what I have posted in the last two pages and remind me what I said that seemed intended to elicit your unhappy reaction - I am happy to self criticize if I've been disingenuously goading you.

1) Clearly I have been overreacting, that is borne out by my now-deleted outburst. Part of the reason has nothing to do with you, there is stuff happening irl right now that is putting me under psychological pressure of a kind that is bound to make subconscious pressure points more sensitive and my reactions less rational. I am feeling more raw than I realised. I am responsible for all this and again I apologise.

2) My desire to leave at a time like this is quite genuine and mirrors how I have felt on other occasions during my time on this site, when disagreements with comrades have got out of hand and I have taken things personally. The present incident, minor in the scheme of things, felt like the straw that broke the camel's back - if this place keeps having this effect on me, maybe it's best I leave. And I don't feel comfortable about my posts surviving the end of my posting career here, an impulse for privacy. But I recognise that the way I've communicated my wishes has come across as an abusive threat and that probably reflects a thoughtless intention on my part to lash out in my hurt. So I apologise for that too.

3) What upset me was your insistence on sticking to what I thought was an obviously hyperbolic line even after I objected and thought I was making it clear you were upsetting me, because to me the implication was that I was wilfully boosting nazi propaganda, and more to the point, you seemed to be enjoying making me feel like shit - that was what felt like you 'shitting on me'. An overreaction on my part, yes. But if you want to self crit about anything maybe examine your sensitivity towards the feelings of fellow posters. And if I showed no outward signs of what I was really feeling then you did nothing wrong, and I once again apologise.

Ok! Well all of us who have posted with you for years really love you so I hope you are able to feel better somehow.
this is a weird bit ur doing right now petrol idgi but ill wait to see how it unfolds

that's really hard stuff. I'm sorry
so anyway what are the rhizzone watching? i recently finished the new pope, which was a worthy successor to the young pope and i think better in a lot of ways. high tier trash id call it. if you like your tv weird with beautiful visuals, great music, and more catholicism than even the rhizzone circa 5 years ago, this show is like a warm bath.