so the lack of crossover between maths and science in education is a perpetual source of irritation to me. let me illustrate this.

In maths, if i told a child to express e.g. the fraction 10/40 in its simplest form and convert it to a decimal they would have no problem, this is drilled into them at primary school.

Yet in science this very same operation might be expressed as "stalin walks 10m in 40s, what is his speed in m/s, use the equation speed = distance/time" and the answer wanted is 0.25m/s - yet making the conceptual link from the techniques which are learned in maths to what is required in science is nearly impossible for them to do by themselves - i am working hard on teaching this.

The second example is that they are taught in maths how to divide a number by a fraction by reversing the denominator and the numerator then multiplying, they can all do this. Yet if you tell a student in early 2ndary school science that when you divide a number by something >0 and <1, the number gets bigger their tiny brains literally explode, showering gore and bits of white and gray matter all over their stunned compatriots. I am also working on this.
[account deactivated]
yah, ive been trying to draw the link between units and algebraic letters early, like 10N / 20cm2 is just (10 x N) / (20 x cm2) and so its (10/20) x (N/cm2) which is 0.5 x (N/cm2) or just 0.5N/cm2 ..... or how kg/m3 x m3 = kg is the same as a/b x b = a

i think its clicking with some....
[account deactivated]
what if i raise a mass of 69kg by a height of 420m...
[account deactivated]
yah
[account deactivated]
the video game you want yr mom to buy for you cost $60. sales tax in your town is 10%. your mom brings home $6 after taxes for every hour that she works. how many hours does your mom have to work to buy you a video game

morale of the math problem kids: ask ur mom to buy you vpn access for $5 per month and just torrent that game

Edited by zhaoyao ()

Toyot, are have you looked into any references for abstract algebra? There's a quite general framework for understanding the implications of different types of operations on different types of sets, including polynomials and vectors/matrices. I can recommend some references if you like.
ok so what are are you going to use it for?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i'm too science and not enough maths/compsci to really make sense of all of this, but obviously i support it,
i am also lolling because the scheme of work for the space module ill be teaching next week seems specifically designed to make children hate science. like if someone asked my how to make space for 11-13 year olds as boring as possible i don't think i could have done better than this

child: i want to learn about space, planets, stars, the galaxy, the universe, reality, existence, like what the FUCK is UP with this SHIT
me, their teacher: copy the following force diagram into your books, dont forget to underline your date and title
I haven't done math in three years cause all my classes at university have been pretty qualitative. I used to be able to do the baby basics of calculus pretty well, obviously not anything like the stuff in this thread but still something I felt proud of. Now I'm taking a physics class I neglected earlier and realizing just how much I forgot. It sucks to struggle with like high school level geometry, but it's coming back pretty quick and I'm remembering how fun math is.
personaly i like the colorful pictures
[account deactivated]
if you are a labor aristocrat imo you have one job, convert your stolen money into funds for me, "shriekingviolet"
eddie

Edited by karphead ()

edddddd

Edited by karphead ()

edit, wow, i really went on a posting spree

Edited by karphead ()

edit

Edited by karphead ()

you doing okay karphead?
diet

Edited by karphead ()

toyot posted:

it takes a real specific number table, to render all the points on a tubes (then triangulates the surface). like you give it radius=5, path=(set of points). ad hoc. the tubes here are superellipses (but can be any shape, closed or open), and they change along their length. like it can start as a circle and end as a square. so it's extrusion along a path, and the extrusion varies with position.

It sounds like you want to be able to generate arbitrary curves in 3d space, is that right?

As for recommendations: i found the book "abstract algebra" by dummit and foote to be pretty good. It assumes some practice with theorem proving so i can give recs for that as well if you like. Otherwise id recommend just doing the exercises in that book

eddy

Edited by karphead ()

ed

Edited by karphead ()

ed it

Edited by karphead ()

edit

Edited by karphead ()

edit

Edited by karphead ()

I had an alcohol addiction and I'm now sober, my alcohol addiction was rooted in feelings of depression, alienation, and anxiety. my path to dealing with those feelings really only started when I got alcohol and drugs out of my life. not saying you have a problem or are feeling those feelings but that's the context for my post

in my experience it's most productive to talk about these things when everyone is sober. feel free to pm me when you are
edit

Edited by karphead ()

ddes

Edited by karphead ()

ed

Edited by karphead ()

eddds

Edited by karphead ()

edddddit

Edited by karphead ()

eddddddd

Edited by karphead ()