imagine my perplexed dismay when, at an awards banquet for the town i work for, the mayor presented a powerpoint slide showing the wastewater plant processed less than half as many gallons as our water plant produced

ialdabaoth posted:

imagine my perplexed dismay when, at an awards banquet for the town i work for, the mayor presented a powerpoint slide showing the wastewater plant processed less than half as many gallons as our water plant produced

ialdabaoth posted:

i used to get pissy at the out-of-towners like armadillos, japanese honeysuckle and garlic mustard but im swinging around on that. if they can make living here work, ought to take what we can get. forest fixin to be a v different place in a little while

outside of rare exceptions this isn't how invasive species work. there's not enough interconnected bits to replace and form a stable a new biome, you'll just get monocultures, soil depletion, disease ridden overpopulations that render their food sources extinct and die out. then nothing. it was bad enough when we still had a functioning ecoysystem for these things to harass, but environmental factors obliterating native species is just going to aggravate the problem further. two gunshot wounds don't cancel each other out.

they say you shouldn't spend more than 20 minutes planning a lesson. Now, having spent 6 hours of my weekend time planning a single year 7 lesson it really got me thinking. The different here is between planning and design.

Anyone can plan a lesson in 20 minutes - planing involves the arrangement of whatever resources you might already have for the length of time of the lesson - worksheets, pre-made powerpoints, tried and tested demonstrations, standard practical activities, questions in books and so on, you can plan a good lesson using those available resources - I could teach a pretty ok lesson just by walking in and presenting whatever powerpoint has already been made by the department.

Lesson design though, that's a completely different thing. Its depressing, but the pre-made resources are usually c r a p, the powerpoints are lame, the picture choice is shit, the flow is mediocre, the tasks are poorly explained and poorly sequenced, the practicals often go wrong due to lack of forsight (try making an electromagnet using copper wire if you don't take into account that the outside layer of the copper has oxidised to CuO and so won't conduct very well/at all - the practical is suddenly fail)

Lesson design is a really really time consuming task - not how do I plan this period, but how do I create the perfect package which will facilitate the best possible learning of something which is abstract, hard to grasp, often involves algebra and is frankly pretty boring, for this group of clueless children.

So I make lots of modifications to the powerpoints, I change all the pictures from stupid cartoons to real life pictures which illustrate my points, I use diagrams when necessary but they need to be good, sometimes I draw my own.. I get rid of the clutter, I write better instructions. I design good demos which will encourage them to go "what the fuck". I make my own worksheets, I design my own questions, I physically do the work I am setting in my own exercise book to see what it is that I am actually getting them to do and how I want it to look in their books. I look cross-syllabus at what they are learning in maths, I watch cool video of stupid things we can do in class, the I go talk to the tech team about what they can get for me, I talk to more experiences colleagues, especially the chemists for advice, I draw little millitary maps of my classroom like a bootleg-engels of how I want my students to move around, on and on you get the point.

Lesson design is: The presentation, The activities, The set work, and the plan and thats why im going to be the best fucking teacher in this school, once I finally design all my own lessons.
Started and finished two classes this month, 6 left until I finish my bachelor's degree
btw i am always interested in hearing about peoples memories/experience of school science, positive and negative, esp in not the uk

tears posted:

btw i am always interested in hearing about peoples memories/experience of school science, positive and negative, esp in not the uk

i kept hearing a rumour a biology teacher got fired for drinking his own piss in front of the class but i wasn't in that class and apparently it was an exaggeration. still wild tho.

i also had a physics teacher i really liked; i can't remember details of just how he taught but what stood out most was his casual confidence and grasp of the subject matter. sorry that's not very helpful.

as a cool kid i hated the shit out of school

sovnarkoman posted:

as a cool kid i hated the shit out of school

good

sparklefeather posted:

i kept hearing a rumour a biology teacher got fired for drinking his own piss in front of the class

my piss drinking teacher

tears posted:

So I make lots of modifications to the powerpoints, I change all the pictures from stupid cartoons to real life pictures which illustrate my points, I use diagrams when necessary but they need to be good, sometimes I draw my own.. I get rid of the clutter, I write better instructions. I design good demos which will encourage them to go "what the fuck". I make my own worksheets, I design my own questions, I physically do the work I am setting in my own exercise book to see what it is that I am actually getting them to do and how I want it to look in their books. I look cross-syllabus at what they are learning in maths, I watch cool video of stupid things we can do in class, the I go talk to the tech team about what they can get for me, I talk to more experiences colleagues, especially the chemists for advice, I draw little millitary maps of my classroom like a bootleg-engels of how I want my students to move around, on and on you get the point.

i mean this is exactly what all teachers ought to be doing but you won't be able to keep this up for more than a few years, you'll burn out. unless you have a meth habit. consumption of methamphetamine is the only way to achieve the crackling whirling relentless energy focus and positivity that describes the bar of what a capitalist economy deems to be a full human with the right to be alive, when a 40 hour work day and 2 day weekend is imposed. it screws up your brain after long term usage but thats ok:

a life without meth
is functional death

thats ok, i have type 1 bipolar, meth from heaven
ive had a cold and ear infection for the past week, thanks obama. Also the medications im on sometimes conflict and cause heart problems.

Edited by Populares ()

armadillos can form stable a new biome,
i help teach science to fourth graders at a private academy atm. i mostly just scold them or draw pictures on the whiteboard

cars posted:

armadillos can form stable a new biome,

the decline of gopher tortoises is causing trouble for a variety of other critters who would use their burrows, so its helpful to have armadillos come along to make new burrows for folks to use. on the other hand armadillos prey on gopher tortoise eggs...

its 40 below.
below what? and where are your units?
-40 Celsius of course
[account deactivated]

tears posted:

below what? and where are your units?

forty below boiling, in a personalized unit system, °I. that's about room temperature

toyot posted:

-40F - 32F = -72F,
-72F * 5/9 C/F = -40C,
-40 C = -40 F

very cool

no tolerance for lack of units
If you require absolute units, then -40F would in fact be 420, Rankine
LACK UNIT
pc load letter

toyot posted:

-40F - 32F = -72F,
-72F * 5/9 C/F = -40C,
-40 C = -40 F

also, this does not make sense at all, -40 coulombs are not equal to -40 farads, sorry, that doesnt even make sense

MarxUltor posted:

Rankine

D2A, yet again

[account deactivated]
our front door handle snapped off. the metal got so brittle it just shattered. it's Very Cold.
it might get below freezing here at night next week. brr
*wafting coronavirus from the air with both hands and cramming it into my mouth and nose*
There's nationwide protests in the US this Saturday against the sanctions on Iran

https://www.answercoalition.org/jan_25_event_listings
i now know, up close and personal, what caregiver burnout is.
our house is a mess, too
im back on amphetamines in somewhere between now and wednesday.
i moved and have been busy with that and life stuff which is why i haven't been around. i like my new place. gonna catch up with the new posts and the new kkkonspiracies to post about.
[account deactivated]
Coronavirus just arrived in Paris...how do I survive?

Parenti posted:

Coronavirus just arrived in Paris...how do I survive?

login: nsf001 ; pw: smashthestate