trakfactri posted:

encountered a rare leftcom in the wild. he sent me his exegesis and wanted me to read it. goes on about wanting to take over the DSA and turn it into a campus-based "youth vanguard" along the lines of "organic centralism." refers to himself as a "radical zoomer."

the difference between an anarchist and a leftcom in the West is that leftcoms spend their time working on pseudo-grad-school shit like that instead of jumping into dumpsters for cakes. both are put-ons for things their petty-booj money could buy them easy but go with the smashed vegan garbage cake imo.

[account deactivated]
Reading the terms of the Dengist critique of the cultural revolution applied to the Great Purge and Stalin's "excesses" has caused me to feel disgusted and interrogate my own tiny part in allowing Dengism to grow. It really is a shame Maoism gets practiced as getting beat up by DSA members in the first world because it is the only coherent, revolutionary understanding of history. I thought it was acceptable to let Dengists exist because both Maoist and Dengist politics are minor in the first world (luckily, the latter has no political practice outside of China by definition) while using Maoism to criticize Chinese "imperialism" and "fascism" can have a huge negative influence given that imperialism does not need active support, merely acquiescence and confusion within the minority that resists. But I was wrong, Dengism carries its own ideology which, in time, will lead to its own version of support for capitalist-imperialism. I've defended Marcyism in the past as a pragmatic compromise that neutralizes the first world petty-bourgeoisie but Marcyism itself is collapsing, being pulled apart by Marxism-Leninism on the one side and Dengism on the other, and I doubt either the WWP or PSL will survive the crisis. Not really sure what to do or if anything can be done, I suppose I'm having the exact opposite crisis as red dread.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Reading the terms of the Dengist critique of the cultural revolution applied to the Great Purge and Stalin's "excesses" has caused me to feel disgusted

....they've been doing it for like the last 30 years have you only just noticed

so long, central plan! (lisa needs braces)
Someone left a mysterious open cardboard box containing three lesbian-thriller paperbacks out in the middle of the street. Reading them all in case I'm the hallucination of a down-and-out patissier whose hometown hides secrets darker than her strawberry chocolate glaze.
Still reading "liberalism: a counter-history" and its still great
trip report: i guess it's a feature of the thriller genre but I feel like there cannot possibly be this many lesbian police chiefs in the entire United States
My friend dated a lesbian cop, almost got her head caved in. 40%
these cops are single ladies who get free ice cream and they aint never seen anything like these here murders in this here town, their fat white dead old boss did once though and it haunted him for the rest of his life, probably because he didn't have a sexy Creative with a tragic past tagging along to crime scenes and maybe being the killer herself except then there's a bad thunderstorm and she gets kidnapped in the last 30 pages when the power goes out because everyone writes for the screen now.
tfw you realize Castle is lesbian culture

c_man posted:

nice, ive got this one queued up. just finished amin's "the liberal virus" which as a whole is a really good anti amerikkkan polemic, although it contains some strange parts, such as when he sketches out this idea of a hypothetical trajectory with a progressive eu as a part of a of an anti "Triad" progressive bloc because old europe liberalism has some nominal kernel of equality to it which can develop into something beyond the liberal, as he says "Europe will be left, or it will not be" which in hindsight (book was written in like 2004 i think) was truly overly optimistic, especially for a theorist of unequal exchange and unequal development like amin who is well aware of the cul de sac of social democracy in the FW. to his defence already by 2010 he seems to have explcitly renounced this possibility as improbable to the extent of impossibility (http://www.spectrezine.org/managing-euro-mission-impossible.html) .

kicking back on a Friday night, reading some low-voted posts by the greats
nobody used to use the voting feature. how far we've fallen
[account deactivated]
The Divide by Jason Hickel. Hickel was in the news recently because he wrote an article in the guardian saying that Bill gates was wrong about capitalism reducing poverty and all Gates's little toadies in the media had a meltdown.

This is a tonally strange book. he teaches at the London School of Economics, is a Labour Party activist, etc etc, so it's written in the voice of any generic development-NGO book, but he's clearly familiar with third worldism and anti-imperialism and tries to sneak in much more radical critique than is usual for the genre. Like, he talks about unequal exchange, which, as someone who's read a lot of shitty NGO books I can tell you is unprecedented, but he introduces it as "a concept among economists" without mentioning that those economists are weird marxists that all the other economists hate. It's like zak cope was giving a Ted talk.

Also suffers from a severe lack of class analysis. The labor aristocracy goes unmentioned, even though he hammers on about the flow of resources from the South to the North. As is customary, the book ends with a chapter on solutions, which I'm sure would be very good and helpful, but the question of who will force these policies through never comes up. If you were to ask him, I'd imagine he would say "Oxbridge graduates of good hearts" rather than "the revolutionary masses".

Fine book, might be worth recommending to your liberal friend too scared of Marxism to read cope or Smith.

Edited by filler ()

saw an early 80s foreign language press edition of a chinese novelist's book today. the book itself only vaguely interested me but it was cool to look at because on the back there was an author bio that was totally mundane and boring, except for the last sentence which read "Unfortunately, in 1968 he was hounded to death by the 'gang of four'."

lo posted:

on the back there was an author bio that was totally mundane and boring, except for the last sentence which read "Unfortunately, in 1968 he was hounded to death by the 'gang of four'."

Would buy in hope of finding a a historical conspiracy rabbithole and then never open again.

Been reading Negarestani's Cyclonopedia in light of recent developments in the Middle East. Pretty much just Goosebumps for Deleuzebros, tbh.

nomogram posted:

lo posted:

on the back there was an author bio that was totally mundane and boring, except for the last sentence which read "Unfortunately, in 1968 he was hounded to death by the 'gang of four'."

Would buy in hope of finding a a historical conspiracy rabbithole and then never open again.

Been reading Negarestani's Cyclonopedia in light of recent developments in the Middle East. Pretty much just Goosebumps for Deleuzebros, tbh.

Cyclonopedia was found in the remains of Suleimani’s vehicle

dimashq posted:

Not only am I going to believe you, I'm citing this in my master thesis

nomogram posted:

dimashq posted:

Not only am I going to believe you, I'm citing this in my master thesis

It ain’t called theory-fiction for nothing!!!

Edited by dimashq ()

dimashq posted:

theory-fiction

Like those weight loss candy bars but for reading theory, it's great

i finished "liberalism: a counter-history" a bit ago and it was great. the scope was a bit limited but not every book can be Capital

lenochodek posted:

c_man posted:

nice, ive got this one queued up. just finished amin's "the liberal virus" which as a whole is a really good anti amerikkkan polemic, although it contains some strange parts, such as when he sketches out this idea of a hypothetical trajectory with a progressive eu as a part of a of an anti "Triad" progressive bloc because old europe liberalism has some nominal kernel of equality to it which can develop into something beyond the liberal, as he says "Europe will be left, or it will not be" which in hindsight (book was written in like 2004 i think) was truly overly optimistic, especially for a theorist of unequal exchange and unequal development like amin who is well aware of the cul de sac of social democracy in the FW. to his defence already by 2010 he seems to have explcitly renounced this possibility as improbable to the extent of impossibility (http://www.spectrezine.org/managing-euro-mission-impossible.html) .

I def read a 2016 Amin monthly review article where Amin is invoking this possibility. there's a rational kernel to it because european imperialism is increasingly no longer able to be satisfied within the contours of american world hegemony and inter-imperialist competition is bound to increase as the rate of profit falls. one only wonders why it's happened so slowly, especially with the USSR out of the picture. but you see it, with the europeans not willing to go along with the US over iraq, now iran, and they'd rather have normal commercial relations with china and russia and not have to import expensive oil from rick perry's backyard.

i just finished William Petty's economic writings so I'm gonna gather quotes from it now. there are some funny things in petty. the more well known is him saying law is best when the lawyers have the least to do, and religion is best when the clergymen are poorer and fewer, but his solution to the irish problem is also pretty amusing. not just granting them equal representation in parliament, but sending the american colonists into ireland to racially intermingle with them. I'm waiting on Locke's consequences of the lowering of the rate of interest to come in the mail.

im going to read "mumbo jumbo" by ishmael reed now
is the eric hobsbawm world history series good for reading. i could also read andrea dworkin but im trying to stall
i liked his 20th century history but i havent read his 19th century ones
finally finished strike one to educate 100. good shit

Edited by Bablu ()

swampman posted:

is the eric hobsbawm world history series good for reading. i could also read andrea dworkin but im trying to stall

i remember age of revolution being 'pretty good' but it's been ages since i read it.

hobsbawm s world history books were eye-opening and very good when i last read them fifteen years ago. i hope they still hold up post having-read-settlers

ialdabaoth posted:

post having-read-settlers

https://monthlyreview.org/2012/12/01/lenin-and-the-aristocracy-of-labor/

Yes

Reading Aurora because someone convinced me to do it.
https://marlaxm.wordpress.com/2020/01/06/pettys-treatise-on-taxes-chapters-i-iii/

if anyone here wants to follow my classical political economy blog ^__________________________________^
Have been on a Festugiere kick recently, specifically reading Personal Religion Among the Greeks and Epicurus and his Gods (the latter being perhaps of more interest to posters here). It is a pleasure to read an author who is simultaneously master of dry wit, irony, affectionate sympathy, and ecstatic reverie while finding nothing human to be alien to him.

RedMaistre posted:

Have been on a Festugiere kick recently,

tpaine........

cars posted:

RedMaistre posted:

Have been on a Festugiere kick recently,

tpaine........

Feel terrible, just want him back

[account deactivated]
that kenny lake series on revolutionary-initiative a few years ago was pretty good so that should be good

toyot posted:

https://kites-journal.org/2019/12/11/on-infantile-internet-disorders-and-real-questions-of-revolutionary-strategy-a-response-to-the-debate-over-the-universality-of-protracted-peoples-war/new journal, kites, from kersplebedeb

There's a lot good in this and a lot of crap. In terms of the history that needs to be understood to make any progress, we're at the exact same place: the history of the Peruvian revolution and the RIM, the real history of the GPCR mostly through more radical members of the Chinese new left, and the history of urban guerillas and proto-third worldism as we've explored on this site. This person's greatest weakness, which is quite common among Maoists, is that China has vanished from the Earth and therefore East Asia as the dynamic center of the new world economy cannot be understood. That's why the strategy ends up being the same after all the bluster, even with a shout out to Ilhan Omar. There are hints of what the global economy looks like today scattered throughout the piece but I don't think the objective, structural nature of imperialism is really understood. Obviously the spiritual stuff is silly as it's the memeish tone in places. But the questions that are asked are the right ones and you have to give credit for trying to answer them, and if the dogmatic Maoists are worthy of a polemic then they've been properly destroyed.

I’ll soon be done with the lesbian mystery novels I found so could everyone here please reach out to lesbians and let them know the books will be ready for pickup next week