he only rides that horse when he's going to the missile launching button which is located at the peak of their sacred unicorn mountain
I have a nagging feeling this thread has only just gotten started. I've caught brief, blinding premonitions of what's to come. Ames was right when he said "things are going to get really fucking weird".
[account deactivated]
Is Kim Jong Un's go-kart vacation the blue shell of the nuclear clock?
I can haz cheezburger, I can fucking haz fucking cheezburger you fuck, you bitch whore, you fuck
by VICE Editorial
I refuse to believe that Reuters isn't in on and participating in the joke.

[account deactivated]
I mean... she knows a lot about cocks.
Unlikely. Even municipal codes which allow residential backyard chicken flocks at all would still ban roosters as a noise nuisance, and they wouldn't really add anything to a small egg laying operation except the expense of feeding. One bitchy neighbor and you'd have pigs all over the place. Even if they're just being kept for meat the males would have to be slaughtered before sexual maturity to prevent them from getting aggressive with other flock members and causing injury or wasting energy on futile mating pursuits instead of gaining weight. Most identified male chicks are euthanized at the hatchery.
The idea that backyard murder factories are more compassionate or ethical has a lot of similarities to groups that looked to re-establish feudal social relations as a reaction against capitalism

MarxUltor posted:

the males would have to be slaughtered before sexual maturity to prevent them from getting aggressive

like a lot of creepy urbanite side hustles, it's probably completely illegal but she'll never be successful enough to find out

MarxUltor posted:

the males would have to be slaughtered before sexual maturity to prevent them from getting aggressive with other flock members

so I guess we know what happened to roseweird

pogfan1996 posted:

The idea that backyard murder factories are more compassionate or ethical has a lot of similarities to groups that looked to re-establish feudal social relations as a reaction against capitalism

Keeping a reasonable population of animals in an appropriate amount of space, and with capacity for enriching behavior is absolutely more compassionate and ethical than keeping them immobilized, drugged and mutilated in CAFOs. You can't compare the two as if quantity of animals killed is the only difference.

Imo you shouldn't compare the killing of animals for food to murder either, which is (imo) a human activity.

All the similarities to wanting to re-establish feudal relations aren't from the idea itself, but from the class position of first-world small landowners which adopt the idea cause they have the space for it.

some folks eat meat to survive or meet nutritional needs they can't otherwise satisfy. others eat meat recreationally, wantonly, in unbelievable excess etc, the murderousness of the behavior differs between those two sets of folks
i eat meat because they’ll kill me if i don’t. for the sake of my children: help me
[account deactivated]
You can’t compassionately kill a being that wants to live

pogfan1996 posted:

You can’t compassionately kill a being that wants to live

I agree, and I don't eat meat, but small scale pre-industrial style animal production is more ethical than animal factories, like indigenous peoples tracking herds of buffalo or spearing a whale to death are more ethical than both of those.

toyot posted:

i'm probably off my rocker but i think it's interesting how carnivory is like a shortened lumpen class relationship. the lumpen have nothing, then steal a commodity, convert commodity into money, then buy food with money. 0 -> C -> M -> food. the other party starts with a commodity and after the encounter with the lumpen they are left with nothing. C -> 0. if the lumpen steal money directly it's 0 -> M -> food (which is nicer than working to liquidate a laptop or w/e). lumpen do steal food directly esp from stores but when a $200 laptop weighs 1kg and $200 of food weighs like 20kg it's just more practical. in carnivory the victim is destroyed and the carnivore gains all of it as their own flesh, 0 -> food and food -> 0. i just bring it up because a lumpen's skillset (stealth, muscle, using killing tools) overlaps with those of carnivores, and state-lumpen in particular who live by organized theft, they kill frequently, many view themselves as hunters or predators, many are actual hunter-hobbyists, they have overlapping skillsets. lumpenry is ancient and could have grown out of this relationship, might partially explain the lumpen gender imbalance.

But doesn't this apply to many forms of herbivory as well? The herbivore destroys the plant matter and gains it for energy. The big difference I guess is that to consume animal energy without domestication the animal must be killed, but a wild plant's energy can be appropriated without ending the plant's life. The core contradiction is still between consumer and consumed, since plants are deprived of the energy they spent to grow biomass when it's consumed by another organism. This is of course ignoring the plant-animal relationships which have resolved this contradiction like plants with edible fruits using herbivory as a reproductive strategy.

This difference doesn't translate to the lumpen function, so it could look like both herbivory or carnivory. A robber on the street could kill someone they hold up on the street, or an army can ethnically cleanse a village to steal the land. But a robber could also steal from a rich house, wait for them to replace the valuables, then go steal them again, or a white-collar criminal lumpen can embezzle from their workplace without bankrupting the company.

It's going to be empire, it's always going to be empire whenever they do this shit.

toyot posted:

i'm probably off my rocker but i think it's interesting how carnivory is like a shortened lumpen class relationship. the lumpen have nothing, then steal a commodity, convert commodity into money, then buy food with money. 0 -> C -> M -> food. the other party starts with a commodity and after the encounter with the lumpen they are left with nothing. C -> 0. if the lumpen steal money directly it's 0 -> M -> food (which is nicer than working to liquidate a laptop or w/e). lumpen do steal food directly esp from stores but when a $200 laptop weighs 1kg and $200 of food weighs like 20kg it's just more practical. in carnivory the victim is destroyed and the carnivore gains all of it as their own flesh, 0 -> food and food -> 0. i just bring it up because a lumpen's skillset (stealth, muscle, using killing tools) overlaps with those of carnivores, and state-lumpen in particular who live by organized theft, they kill frequently, many view themselves as hunters or predators, many are actual hunter-hobbyists, they have overlapping skillsets. lumpenry is ancient and could have grown out of this relationship, might partially explain the lumpen gender imbalance.

Edited by toyot (Dec. 21, 2019 13:43:38)

i think it's probably a bad idea to try and read class relationships back into natural phenomena like ecosystems

Food production and consumption is totally within social and economic activity, so analyzing it through that lense is more useful than analyzing it as a natural phenomenon

If you want to analyze why humans are killing 200 million land animals a day looking at class is more insightful than looking at rainfall
i don't have any issue with that at all it was more the equation of carnivory and energy movements in food webs with class relationships
oz katerji got fired from writing clickbait shit for the daily mail because he got into an insane feud with peter hitchens. my sources tell me that as he was being marched out of the office by the security goons he gave a pre-prepared speech about ethics and integrity. now he's on twitter demanding blood expiation from everyone who made fun of his shitty pro-war position wrt syria, i fucking love this guy i hope he keeps delivering.

ghostpinballer posted:

oz katerji got fired from writing clickbait shit for the daily mail because he got into an insane feud with peter hitchens. my sources tell me that as he was being marched out of the office by the security goons he gave a pre-prepared speech about ethics and integrity. now he's on twitter demanding blood expiation from everyone who made fun of his shitty pro-war position wrt syria, i fucking love this guy i hope he keeps delivering.

lol

State Department urges all Americans to leave Iraq after US embassy attack

shucks i been saying that for 17 years

ialdabaoth posted:

State Department urges all Americans to leave Iraq after US embassy attack

critical support for the US State Department??

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/01/florida-joins-us-government-probing-foreign-ties-researchers

“I’m appalled by the actions of the Moffitt CEO and some of its researchers,” says state Representative Chris Sprowls (R), who is chair of a bipartisan select committee created by Republican House Speaker José Oliva. “The question is, has there also been any theft of intellectual property? Clearly, the intent is there.”

Appalled by Those Damned Chinese possibly getting a hold of medical research. If it can save lives, only Americans should have it, for a fee of course.
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/482152-bill-maher-to-steve-bannon-i-wish-we-had-someone-on-our-side-as-evil-as-you
sorry but any url containing the words 'bill maher' is a no-click zone for me

Petrol posted:

sorry but any url containing the words 'bill maher' is a no-click zone for me

This is the bad thread

there's no post ITT whenever western journalism makes you shed a proud tear thread
i know its the bad thread but we all have our limits. i salute anyone still able to read an article about a thing bill maher said. hail and well met, younger and more mentally robust comrades
nah im kidding around i didn't read the article. been on the internet too long for that sort of thing
buy that maher an account
Marnie the Dog, popular dog influencer, has died

(CNN) Marnie the Dog, a popular dog influencer who became known for her dangling tongue and celebrity appearances, has died. . . . The announcement of her death was met with mourning from many, including other influencer pet accounts.

Doggo-speak but all the puppers are pleading to be euthanized because they cant stand western journalism or human culture generally