your dorm room door smashes off its hinges, falling inwards, enter me, spinning my traditional quarter-socks with years of video-game-enhanced hand-eye coordination,

dimashq posted:

toyotathon posted:

got an exercise that takes about 5 mins and kills your arms p good and it costs 2 socks and 5lbs of US coinage, whichever worthless token you want to fill the socks with. i'd cashed my previous deposit at the owner's bank and you can just get whatever amount of coinage you want, like a reverse coinstar, which turns your coinage into gift cards. how generous that my landlord, gave me my own money back, so i got $100 in quarters, which is exactly U$ 5 lbs to one part in 1000. You Put the quarters into 2 socks or whatever. then for 5 minutes you toss your bag of loot back and forth until rendered exhausted in the shoulders. also exercises hand-eye coordination w/o enduring a video game. i think this, and jump rope, is a good workout for people in prison or under work- and house-arrest.

E: Misread your post, thought your landlord paid you back in quarters like some asshole

now that you mention it I can think of another good exercise involving landlords and some socks with a few pounds of coins in them too

toyotathon posted:

exercise in general is so goddamn boring and repetitive, run the same rt bike the same hill, lift the same weight, just fucking shoot me.

im with you on cardio being a drag, but i find weights to be way less boring, partly because it's always in flux in ways that feel very immediately rewarding. like, building up motor engrams for proper form such that your muscles recruit correctly with less and less focus on your part is an amazing feeling. even just feeling your strength build minute to minute as you activate your kinetic chain and ramp up from warmup to work sets is neat

it's also enormously gratifying when you can rack 5-10 lbs more than a couple weeks ago, but be careful chasing that one. gotta be patient

[account deactivated]
i also fell off after losing my gym buddy and, a few months later, all sense of imperative. the loneliness aspect doesn't really bug me, because i don't get enough quiet time with my own thoughts in the first place

toyotathon posted:

i hit four plates on deads, 405lb iirc?, this long-range goal of mine, and i remember how it didn't feel like anything, and i quit the gym after that.

ah, the highest ideal,

Edited by Constantignoble ()

if running is so boring to you nerds, how can you possibly handle sitting in one place with yourselves
I’m running a half marathon tmrw
Start nice and slow!
make sure to stay hydrated. you know what i mean
yes drink plenty of piss
I did it! 2hr17min for my first ever

My legs are fucked. I’m used to hilly trails and this particular half marathon was on the flattest most boring track that just slowly tires you out over 2 hours. With hills you get some recovery as you go down but this flat shit just turns your legs into rubber.
Now just run twice as fast for the same amount of time and you will set the marathon world record in 1953
e: As you get faster, and less reliant on downhill stretches as rest periods, you'll start to find downhill is harder in lots of ways. harder on your knees and quads and harder to avoid heel striking. Was your pace varying a lot on the flat course? I had that problem after running in hilly country for a while, but my pacing has always been terrible

Edited by swampman ()

swampman posted:

Now just run twice as fast for the same amount of time and you will set the marathon world record in 1953
e: As you get faster, and less reliant on downhill stretches as rest periods, you'll start to find downhill is harder in lots of ways. harder on your knees and quads and harder to avoid heel striking. Was your pace varying a lot on the flat course? I had that problem after running in hilly country for a while, but my pacing has always been terrible

My splits on my running app had my pace varying within a ~30 sec frame, 9’45 to 10’15 mile times. I guess that’s a lot for flat country, but you’re definitely right. It was a slow burn that kept building over the span of the race. I never run roads either.

I love bicep curls but don't like benching and i feel like im crazy for this. Constantignoble we can be internet gym buddies
oh noooo, how can i help you enjoy the bench

is any part of the motion painful (esp to the shoulder)? here's a good playlist that helped me a lot

on altogether separate note, for my money nothing gets the heartrate up faster and with less motion than pallof presses. core stability training is so damn cool
shd i even try and start benching with my babby stick arms or shd i stick to dumbbells and bodyweight stuff till i get some mass. also i accidentally invented the souffle omelette and its good as hell

littlegreenpills posted:

shd i even try and start benching with my babby stick arms or shd i stick to dumbbells and bodyweight stuff till i get some mass. also i accidentally invented the souffle omelette and its good as hell

i do chest and tris together, so when im not at the gym i just do some sets of tricep exercises with the dumbells after benching. if i'm at the gym i use the machines. there's no reason not to bench, i benched the first day i started working out.

also an obvious protip but when im at the gym i start out with 20 mins of cardio and finish with 50 reps of the crunch machine.

the dude who yelled at me a lot for being the heavy fatty man told me "don't touch my damn weights, you just bounce on the elliptical for an hour a day with the grandmas and come back when you've dropped 30lbs". what a dick
well there's your motivation, you gotta work out until you can beat that guy up
what a douchebag

marlax78 posted:

alternatively method: go home, study physics until you have mastered moments and and momentum then use what you have learned to bypass the limitations of your flesh form

What if im fat.
that's even better, remember that E=mc^2
learning to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone itt
[account deactivated]

tears posted:

marlax78 posted:

alternatively method: go home, study physics until you have mastered moments and and momentum then use what you have learned to bypass the limitations of your flesh form

considering taking this advice deathly serious

littlegreenpills posted:

do barbell stuff for sure, it's great because you can basically work every muscle in your body with just four exercises: press, benchpress, squat, and deadlift. though probably don't do all four in one go; 2 in a workout is fine (3 if you're going hard), and leaves you plenty of options for alternating-day programming. if you can lift the unloaded bar (45 lbs), then you can build on that. listen to your body, and don't worry about impressing anyone, unless it's with immaculate lifting form

also, sorry about your encounter with an aggro-bro. in reality, it's easier to start developing muscle strength while you've still got fat reserves to draw upon than it is to lose all the weight and then have to build up mass again after. simultaneously, it's easier to lose weight when you have HUGE THEWS that constantly and passively place higher demands on your fat reserves. so you can feel smug knowing that his hot tip was stupid on a variety of levels

personal progress status: just deadlifted 295. grip strength started out comically behind the rest of the chain, but it's improving. forearms are annihilated right now, good lord. also, kinda want to move to a low-bar squat for extra knee safety, but i'm still searching for a grip position that doesn't outright hurt. maybe i lack the shoulder mobility for it, idk

psychicdriver posted:

tears posted:

considering taking this advice deathly serious

gotta learn it all

Constantignoble posted:

do barbell stuff for sure, it's great because you can basically work every muscle in your body with just four exercises: press, benchpress, squat, and deadlift. though probably don't do all four in one go; 2 in a workout is fine (3 if you're going hard), and leaves you plenty of options for alternating-day programming. if you can lift the unloaded bar (45 lbs), then you can build on that. listen to your body, and don't worry about impressing anyone, unless it's with immaculate lifting form

thanks i feel like i need someone physically present to show me proper form. the perfect person left the city and moved to BC like six months ago which sux

I've finally started working out in the morning instead of the evening, it's surprisingly great
i have recently started carrying the solar disc across the heavens each day, only to lose it to the jaws of a great serpent when i descend below the horizon
been holding to work sets of 315 lbs on the deadlift for a couple weeks; aiming to be able to do the whole workout with an overhand grip before i start adding more. just managed all warmups plus three reps at full load before i needed to switch to mixed grip. slow && steady

also "supinated" is fun to say
bad post

Edited by Themselves ()

ive been eating unsweetened peanut butter for years, had some regular kraft peanut butter at a friend's place making snacks for toddlers and holy shit that stuff is more honey than it is peanut

Constantignoble posted:

been holding to work sets of 315 lbs on the deadlift for a couple weeks; aiming to be able to do the whole workout with an overhand grip before i start adding more. just managed all warmups plus three reps at full load before i needed to switch to mixed grip. slow && steady

if you're really set on doing an overhand grip, why not use hook grip? it'll hurt for a little while, but once you adjust, it'll probably be even more secure than mixed

mainly because it'll hurt for a little while

though honestly it's a question i grapple with (ho ho) now and then. haven't ruled it out or anything; just haven't felt compelled to try yet
started the starting strength program by mark rippetoe last week. the guy seems totally insane from his writing style in the book but it's v. detailed and i feel safe performing the exercises as directed sooo. it's also dead simple which helps.

i'm feeling quite a bit stronger despite putting up baby-numbers for my height+weight, but i'm really excited to eventually Get Yolked. also every other day i get to wake up to the mantra of squats, squats, squats, squats! which is fun.
today i accomplished my deadlift overhand grip goal. i spaced out the last few reps to be safe, but i never felt the bar start to dangle from my fingers

Scrree posted:

i'm feeling quite a bit stronger despite putting up baby-numbers for my height+weight, but i'm really excited to eventually Get Yolked. also every other day i get to wake up to the mantra of squats, squats, squats, squats! which is fun.

seems like you've already got the idea, but here's an external reaffirmation: remember not to get too wrapped up in worrying about the numbers; the more important thing is to focus on how strong and capable you feel from day to day, especially if you are seeing improvements!

anyway you're gonna see pretty big gains just from training your nervous system to fall into form, to say nothing of muscle growth

Constantignoble posted:

how come you don't do an alternated grip? i put a picture of myself in here but it felt super lame so i got rid of it. i'm an experienced lifter so if anybody has questions i may be able to help

i do use mixed/alternated grip, but not for the whole workout; just when my hands are tuckered out but i still have some fight left in my posterior chain

the thought behind the overhand focus goes, in rough order of emphasis, A) more grip strength development, 2) not having to think about asymmetries or imbalances and the possibility of injury along those lines, and D) just a personal thing but i find it simpler to regulate the bar's effect on my palms this way; it's a little harder to gauge the exact settle point of the bar in advance with mixed, and that leads to just a bit more wear -- not even 100% of the time, but just often enough to be annoying

the good news is the forearm gains have been steady and on tuesday i did the full workout overhand

the bad is i haven't been back since then because of some soreness and inflammation since thursday morning (sort of like... upper glute along the beltline? maybe piriformis? idk). a mix of ibuprofen, cbd, stretches and rest have gone like 95% of the way toward resolving it, but we'll see how i feel tomorrow