let's talk about lacan and klein here friends https://joannamoncrieff.com/2018/01/15/guest-blog-the-388-a-psychoanalytic-centre-for-the-treatment-of-psychosis/

The 388

For more than 30 years, the “388” has been a haven for people struggling with psychosis. A humble Victorian-Era house sitting amidst a bustling neighbourhood of Quebec City (Canada), this unique clinic is dedicated to providing an integrated, psychoanalytically-informed treatment of psychosis to willing users. Now considered by patients and families alike as a pillar of community treatment, it is still today one of the few places where patients can be “ accepted as are, for what may become. ”

Since it opened in 1982, the main goal of the “388” has been to deliver an alternative, yet state-of-the-art, therapeutic approach to young people suffering from schizophrenia or related disorders. How did the “388” achieve this? First and foremost, its founders began by challenging the longstanding assumption that psychosis cannot be treated with psychoanalysis. In order to allow psychotherapeutic work with psychosis, they had to create a new theoretical framework, which was based on their previous clinical experience with patients as well as on Freudian and Lacanian psychoanalytic therapy. The specifics of how they managed to integrate this clinical experience with psychoanalysis is beyond the scope of this article, but is detailed in numerous publications (see the references below for details). This theoretical stance is fundamental to the centre, as it informs the perspective of the whole team and thus provides a common understanding of the problems encountered by users.

“In the end, the most fundamental thing that psychoanalysis has brought to me is the freedom to stop destroying, and the freedom to start constructing.”
However, patients are not required to undertake a psychoanalytic therapy in order to start attending the centre. Psychoanalysis is indeed the cornerstone of treatment, so all users will be invited to engage in psychoanalytic work at some point. Still, psychoanalysis is only one part of a holistic approach including regular psychiatric follow-up, patient and family support by a team of mental health workers, art workshops with professional artists (engaged in music, visual arts, writing, drama, ceramics, etc.) from Quebec City, and many community-based activities (such as cultural activities, sports, etc.) that promote social integration. Users can also get involved in collective projects such as participating in biannual camp stays or by organising trips (for example, in 2016, some users self-funded a trip to New York City).

“What is mental illness? It is a feeling of exclusion. That’s my problem: I feel excluded.”

Group integration is a crucial part of helping patients: from a psychoanalytic standpoint, one of the main aspects of psychosis is that it loosens the bond between subjective experience and social reality. As social reality is, at least in part, collectively constructed and reinforced, people with psychosis may tend to become isolated and excluded from their communities. Furthermore, because this social space becomes persecutory, they might not understand how they could manage to give a voice to their own aspirations inside it. Hence, the “388’s” structure is entirely oriented towards promoting the reinsertion of psychotic individuals into the social link. What makes this “reinsertion” different from traditional social recovery therapies, though, is that it aims to support patients in their attempts to take part in social life, without giving up on their inner desires and aspirations. This orientation is directly drawn from psychoanalysis: the aim is not to extinguish one’s quest, but to promote it, and to articulate it within a group or society. It is for this reason that the spatial layout of the clinic is itself designed to promote integration: users can socialize in common living rooms, are invited to cook together, to share meals and so on. In terms of social integration, the combined work of patients, families and staff has yielded results. Based on the most recent data, after three years of treatment, the number of users who are active (working, studying or volunteering) rose from 24% to 71%, and the majority (56%) became financially self-sufficient (compared to 28% before entering treatment) .
“What I like about the 388 is that it is a house that is more open to external life, which does not marginalize us, which does not isolate us, which does not cut our ties with the outside world. Here, I feel like I am rebuilding my life in a solid way, with better perception, a better guide to face external life.”
One of the main goals of the team is to avoid hospitalisation. Accordingly, in addition to regular outpatient psychiatric care, the centre is open 24/7 so its staff can answer phone calls and provide more intensive social support when needed. If this isn’t enough, 4 bedrooms (with 5 beds) are available for short-term stays during acute crises. The idea behind this is to allow users a safe and open environment to work and reflect on their crises as they emerge, so that they can ultimately understand the meanings of the crises, and manage their crises with new tools. Those measures, combined with the clinic’s integrative care, allow for a significant reduction in hospital stays: throughout their first three years of treatment, users spent 78% less days in a hospital than compared to the three years before they began attending the centre .
“During my last hospitalisation, I told that I was hearing voices: “Oh, just don’t pay attention to them !” If I can’t talk about them, if I can’t approach them, learn to deal with them, try to understand them, try to understand what they are doing here, their reason, their cause, if we don’t treat them, imagine the consequences of a psychosis, after which we end up in the hospital twice a year!”
A psychoanalytic approach to psychiatric symptoms can sometimes diverge from the neurobiological perspective, particularly when it comes to the meaning of these symptoms. Psychodynamic therapists generally tend to explore the inner world in which symptoms arise, guiding the patient to gain knowledge about the meaning of symptoms. At the “388”, psychiatrists share this attitude towards psychotic symptoms and extend it to their understanding of the role of antipsychotic drugs. Even if there is absolutely no forced treatment in the centre, psychiatrists still follow up-to-date pharmacotherapeutic guidelines. However, they may focus on patients’ attitudes towards medication, exploring their perceptions and trying to reach an agreement before prescribing. The purpose behind pharmacologic treatment isn’t necessarily to eliminate symptoms per se, but to reduce them enough to allow for self-direction, creative activities, psychotherapy and social integration.
“A comparison: drugs are a little bit like a band-aid, and when you pull the band-aid off, it bleeds again. With psychoanalysis, you don’t need a band-aid anymore, the wound has healed!”
Predictably, because of what may seem like political, ideological or economical reasons, since its foundation the “388” has been somewhat marginalised by traditional psychiatric institutions. In the beginning of the 2000’s, the “388” had to fight for its very existence: critics argued that it should close, as psychoanalysis is irrelevant. In response to these concerns, in 2002, an independent committee was appointed by Quebec’s Health Ministry to settle the debate. Through its study, the committee concluded that considering the excellent quality of medical care, the global approach and the high rates of satisfaction among users and families, the “388” should preserve the program as it was being administered. It is indeed what the “388” did, and what it intends to keep doing. Yet, because of substantiahttps://joannamoncrieff.com/2018/01/15/guest-blog-the-388-a-psychoanalytic-centre-for-the-treatment-of-psychosis/l reforms being carried out in the mental health field in the province, the centre’s current form may again be jeopardized in the upcoming years. We may however remain optimistic, for though the center has gone through many trials and tribulations, it has survived, supported by the trust of patients and their families. In these terms, we may conclude this brief presentation of the “388” by reflecting on the words of one user:
“I think that at the 388 they believe in the power of humans, in the humanism that inhabits in all of us and that everything is possible with this humanism, with this humanist approach which gives us back our dignity and our self-esteem. Step by step, we reconstruct then we recreate our lives.”

recommended reading, by no means exhaustive:
-A Clinical Introduction to Lacanian Psychoanalysis, The Lacanian Subject
Bruce Fink is a practicing analyst and writes very clearly about Lacan from that persepctive
-After Lacan: Clinical Practice and the Subject of the Unconscious
Collection put together by GIFRIC members, the group that runs the 388
-Contemporary perspectives on Lacanian theories of psychosis
-Second Thoughts
Collection of essays by Wilfred Bion, his theories of psychotic thinking are fascinating and off the wall too
-Anything put out by ISPS
-Ordinary Psychosis and The Body: A Contemporary Lacanian Approach 2014th Edition
Cool investigations of 'mild' psychoses
-Operators and Things: The Inner Life of a Schizophrenic
Absolutely captivating first-person narrative of psychosis, definitely recommend
-The Subject of Psychosis: A Lacanian Persepctive
Covers one of the two major contemporary Lacanian theories on psychosis
-On Being Normal and Other Disorders
Cool book on Lacanian psychodiagnostics
-Schizoid Phenomena, Object Relations and the Self
Harry Guntrip is one of my favorite object relations authors. Talks about schizophrenia and related disorders from an object relations perspective
-The Divided Self
Classic existential psychoanalytic text

fellow psychotics, lets get readin

feel free to post about mind control conspiracy theories here, as well. i understand
jansenist_drugstore had recommended "Psychiatric Hegemony: A Marxist Theory of Mental Illness" by Bruce M. Z. Cohen earlier this year, maybe they can talk more about it
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
one thing you will definitely want to avoid, I can't stress this enough, is opening fire on your sister and other patrons of a tavern in the Entertainment District of Dayton, Ohio, while shouting tHE r H i z z o n E catchphrase "The McRib is back" (copyleft G.L.T.)
why do so many communists like lacan so much?

jansenist_drugstore posted:

i did post about that book and it is really excellent. i am too busy to say much more about it right now but i highly recommend it. it deals more with the institution of psychiatry than psychoanalysis, but cohen has some excellent insights that go far beyond most criticisms. i said in the other post about it that, as a result of cohen not being within/affiliated the field, he manages to maintain a dialectical criticism of the medical hegemony that differs from other people working in so-called critical psychiatry. its on libgen i think.

I read the Cohen book after your mentioned it. You are right that he has insights that go beyond most criticisms, but then again he has some criticisms that go beyond any insight. The core of his argument is that 'psy-proffesionals' taken as an institutions are like the cops. In the popular imagination, cops and shrinks are doing a public service. Just like the cops, though, the institutions are constituted mainly by their role in maintaining class power. Cops and shrinks can't be reformed into doing the jobs we tell our children they are supposed to be doing. We have to scrap them wholesale and start from scratch.

I agree with him as far as that essential claim, which is already a radical one in most corners.

That said, Cohen is very cynical. I'm never going to take meds again if I can help it, but anti-psychotics are not unalloyed poisons.

Also, Cohen does not exclude psychoanalysts from the 'alienist' camp as far as I'm concerned.

c_man posted:

aside from clinical applications, i also like people like lasch and TLP and arrghshell's blog posts (https://n0p3.net/) where she talks about narcissism

c_man posted:

well i know that plenty of communists (who are at least as communist as i am by any practical measure) insist there is nothing in freud worth keeping. so i'll just speak for myself. i think i'm attracted to psychoanalysis on the basis that it not only claims to reveal the hidden content of an individual's processes (as they happen) but that it then offers a framework to decide how to move forward. i think that in lieu of an effective party the question of ethical activity is left up to the individual whether we like it or not. freud never said this though and it's just my modern adaptation. i'm just a fledgling student and i can't speak to lacan in particular so i'll just stop there.

[account deactivated]
if you read any of my recs it's gotta be operators and things. its on libgen. seriously read it it owns
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

communists like lacan so much because of his truly incredible sense of fashion

[account deactivated]
i've been wondering for a few years what the social/community integrative stuff would do for someone dealing with genuinely severe dissociative traits, like huge memory gaps, personality changes, inability to integrate knowledge of past actions, etc. i think it's nice and helpful but not enough, though traditional psychoanalysis doesn't seem to have any good answer for it either other than "maybe do yoga or dance because somatic stuff helps and talk a lot". you guys have any thoughts?

drwhat posted:

i've been wondering for a few years what the social/community integrative stuff would do for someone dealing with genuinely severe dissociative traits, like huge memory gaps, personality changes, inability to integrate knowledge of past actions, etc. i think it's nice and helpful but not enough, though traditional psychoanalysis doesn't seem to have any good answer for it either other than "maybe do yoga or dance because somatic stuff helps and talk a lot". you guys have any thoughts?

dissociation and dissociative disorders have their origin in the trauma-based modality and not so much PA, afaik. this book https://www.amazon.com/Psychosis-Trauma-Dissociation-Perspectives-Psychopathology/dp/0470511737 (it's on libgen) is a really informative read

[account deactivated]
The thing about mental health professionals in the U.S. in recent years, speaking from my own previous professional experience trying to match them up with patients seeking treatment, is that they are perpetually cutting back/phasing out accepting insurance at all to the extent that they are able to do so within the group of patients they treat to sustain their practice. This is because insurers have a set recurring schedule for challenging and denying payments on the grounds of, Hey, if your treatment were at all effective, your patient wouldn't have to keep coming back for it.

This means most of their patients are paying out of pocket for their services or will end up doing that, that the patients with conditions stereotyped as treatment-resistant are coded dishonestly to avoid being flagged as liabilities for the insurer, and, of course, that mental health treatment is effectively maintained as a luxury service in much of the United States, outside of a measure of low-quality, overcrowded, underfunded care for a certain subgroup of SSI recipients, stuff that makes for good second- or third-tier fundraising copy for politicians. As far as the insurers themselves are concerned, they will show those covered a list of mental health professionals that are supposedly in-network, and most of the names on that list are either outdated and no longer accept that insurance or maintain themselves as in-network to drive a select group of patients to their practices but will not see new patients under most plans, since they've discovered the insurer works hard to transform the entire experience into a star chamber every few months.

It's the main reason I think the only way to fix health care in the U.S. is to physically eject Congress from their offices, however likely anyone thinks that is to happen, since most of the people in it or headed to it are partially dependent on some part of this system for campaign funding, a system that exists to make and keep doctors and shareholders wealthy. They just do horse-trading as to who within that system they are allowed to piss off without de-funding their own campaigns or reducing their income significantly when they retire through the revolving door into the lobbying or consulting world. Usually "Big Pharma" gets the short end of the stick nowadays for whatever reason. But when you have someone like Tom Daschle arguing for "single-payer" health care, you know the fix is already in, that the industry and their thugs are getting out ahead of a perceived threat to smooth capital churn, and whatever will result from it will be no real improvement for the vast majority of patients or potential patients compared to what's in place right now. It's redundant to say everyone at the top of this system will defend it through the use of physical force, because that's already what they're doing, and people are dying.
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

lacan's core concepts involve disavowed desire and how it can radically alter interpersonal/social behaviour, which is necessarily of interest to anyone left of tradicionalismo

[account deactivated]
just finished psychiatric hegemony. wow that was extremely thorough

one thing i found strange is that he kept gesturing to "validity" or "proof of existence" metrics of "mental illness" when the entire work could be interpreted as an explanation of the scientific uselessness of these metrics. idk i was probably missing his point here. just seemed out of character to exploit psychiatry's own self-criticism outright (this paper essentially defines "validity" as "having natural boundaries", a requirement which the authors conclude is never met by psychiatry.)

i think i agree with belphegor regarding anti-psychotics. even by the end of the book i don't think the author was in a position to universally condemn drugs or techniques of therapy in general, yet he slides this in there at the very end: "Despite being no more effective than placebo, I know that some people still find these drugs useful." pretty weak concession i think

i have other issues but they're embryonic. for me the most important part of this book is the history. and it was really good so thanks for the recommendation! looking forward to reading more of what's been suggested here
i keep starting to write things here and there in this thread and deleting them because i guess i'm at a point in my mental health journey where i feel like real progress is being made but everything is a bit raw right now. but i'm reading and appreciating the discussion here
thanks for the dissociative stuff discussion guys. i have nothing useful to contribute but thank you
[account deactivated]

psychiatry has no boundaries because it works from a normative ethic that is very flexible to fit in with whatever power structures are at play.

i think this is very important and makes it hard to come up with the line "psych(iatry/ology) has to be scrapped wholesale." admittedly it's hard for me to think clearly on this point because ᴍʏ ᴡɪꜰᴇ is a practicing clinical psychologist so i'm legally obligated to say that what she does is "useful."

but anyway my "embryonic problems" include the jabs cohen made at soviet/chinese psychiatry. so he writes off the soviet "sluggish schizophrenia" as a "labeling of political dissidents as mentally ill that intensified after Stalin's death." again it's my knowledge here that is embryonic. but what dialectical materialism obviously implies is that "mental illness" cannot be abstracted from the specific historical moments. there is a strikingly obvious class difference between "western schizophrenia" and "sluggish schizophrenia": the latter was employed to literally label anti-soviets/reformists as "mentally ill," and at least on paper that sounds pretty cool (even if terminologically unacceptable to the modern "mental health advocate"). from the book:

In fact, the belief in this label by Soviet psychiatry was so strong that when [Mikhail Gorbachev] began to speak the language of reform in the mid-1980s, some worried that he was showing all the signs of having this mental illness

i have a suspicion that lots of answers can be (have been?) gleaned from a study in this direction but unfortunately cohen refuses to engage. instead he comes off sounding like a liberal wikipedia contributor on this point.

sup psychosis crew, i like to take my pills

nearlyoctober posted:

psychiatry has no boundaries because it works from a normative ethic that is very flexible to fit in with whatever power structures are at play.

i think this is very important and makes it hard to come up with the line "psych(iatry/ology) has to be scrapped wholesale." admittedly it's hard for me to think clearly on this point because ᴍʏ ᴡɪꜰᴇ is a practicing clinical psychologist so i'm legally obligated to say that what she does is "useful."

but anyway my "embryonic problems" include the jabs cohen made at soviet/chinese psychiatry. so he writes off the soviet "sluggish schizophrenia" as a "labeling of political dissidents as mentally ill that intensified after Stalin's death." again it's my knowledge here that is embryonic. but what dialectical materialism obviously implies is that "mental illness" cannot be abstracted from the specific historical moments. there is a strikingly obvious class difference between "western schizophrenia" and "sluggish schizophrenia": the latter was employed to literally label anti-soviets/reformists as "mentally ill," and at least on paper that sounds pretty cool (even if terminologically unacceptable to the modern "mental health advocate"). from the book:

In fact, the belief in this label by Soviet psychiatry was so strong that when began to speak the language of reform in the mid-1980s, some worried that he was showing all the signs of having this mental illness

i have a suspicion that lots of answers can be (have been?) gleaned from a study in this direction but unfortunately cohen refuses to engage. instead he comes off sounding like a liberal wikipedia contributor on this point.

its interesting that the discourse around soviet psychiatry is that is got more oppressive after stalin's death. that's sort of counter to the way most things are talked about, and you sometimes hear 'stalin had this guy committed to an asylum' or what have you as an anticommunist thing. so what changed? what were they actually doing under stalin? gorbachev being called mentally ill for being a revisionist is really funny, also

Gorbachev was a pizza hut sleeper agent.
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

+

Edited by Constantignoble ()

self-realizing how fragile the mind is a harsh lesson in life but it will make you stronger if you get thru it

karphead posted:

self-realizing how fragile the mind is a harsh lesson in life but it will make you stronger if you get thru it

not magically though. getting stronger still takes work.

Petrol posted:

karphead posted:

you're nuts

Petrol posted:

karphead posted:

it also take time which is what i was stressing as the focal point for all of those younger than me, which is all of you

space, time
fwiw (not much) i don't think you're older than me. anyway i wasn't disagreeing just making a separate point relevant to those like myself for whom time alone is not enough - that it's not a defect, just a bit more work is required to get where you want to be.