https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/04/ohio-dayton-mass-shooting-weapon-police-gunman

Ohio shooting: gunman's sister among nine people killed

Shooter was armed with legally purchased, high-powered rifleEarly reports suggest red flags in gunman’s history

Oliver Laughland in New York

@oliverlaughland

Sun 4 Aug 2019 18.33 EDTLast modified on Mon 5 Aug 2019 10.14 EDT

The gunman who opened fire in Dayton, Ohio, killing nine people early Sunday, was armed with a high-powered rifle and a 100-round magazine before police shot him dead within 30 seconds of his beginning a rampage in the city’s downtown area, the authorities said on Sunday evening.

Nearly 30 dead in 13 hours: US reckons with back-to-back mass shootings

The Dayton police chief, Richard Biehl, told reporters that the shooting did not appear linked to a “bias motive”. The massacre took place within 13 hours of another mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, that claimed 20 lives, injured at least two dozen more, and is being investigated by the federal authorities as a hate crime.

Law enforcement named the Dayton shooter as 24-year-old Connor Betts.

Earlier in the day the police department named all nine of the victims, which included the shooter’s 22-year-old younger sister, Megan Betts. The others were named as: 27-year-old Lois Oglesby, 38-year-old Saeed Saleh, 57-year-old Derrick Fudge, 30-year-old Logan Turner, 25-year-old Nicholas Cumer, 25-year-old Thomas McNichols, 36-year-old Beatrice Warren-Curtis, and 39-year-old Monica Brickhouse.

Early reports suggest there may have been red flags in the gunman’s history. Former high school classmates, speaking to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said that Betts had been suspended from school over a “hit list” found scrawled in a school bathroom. The suspension followed an earlier disciplinary action after Betts came to school with a list of female students he wanted to sexually assault, according to the two classmates.

The accounts emerged after police said there was nothing in the 24-year-old’s background that would have prevented him from purchasing the rifle with extended ammunition magazines.

Biehl indicated the shooter had bought both the firearm and the high-capacity, drum-style magazine legally.

Biehl said the shooter had fired “dozens” of rounds before he was shot outside a downtown bar in the Oregon district of the Ohio city.

Had the six officers involved in the response not acted so quickly, said chief Biehl, there would have been further “catastrophic injury and loss of life” due to the “level of weaponry” possessed by the shooter.

Roy Kanpari, a 24-year-old merchandise salesman who witnessed the shooting and posted images to social media, told the Guardian in a phone interview he saw the shooter approach the Ned Peppers bar from an alleyway to the side. He said the shooter wore a black bandana mask across his face and said: “The McRib is back” before he opened fire.

“It was definitely chaotic,” Kanpari said. “I felt like I needed to get out of there … I needed to get out of the line of fire.”

Authorities said that the shooter had arrived in the downtown area in the same vehicle as his sister and another male friend, but the shooter had split from his sister at some point during the evening, before the shooting began.

The incident was still in the early stages of investigation and it was too early to assign a motive, according to chief Biehl.

At an earlier briefing the Republican senator from Ohio, Rob Portman, deflected questions about gun control in the wake of the shooting, and focussed on praising law enforcement’s response.

“This courage was extraordinary, and saved lives – probably hundreds of lives,” he said. “I’m impressed with how this community comes together and responds.”

Pairs of shoes belonging to victims piled behind the Ned Peppers bar. Photograph: John Minchillo/AP

Speaking to CNN after the Sunday evening briefing, the Democratic senator and 2020presidential election candidate Amy Klobuchar, a moderate from Minnesota, joined calls to convene an emergency session of the US Senate.

She also called for a ban on sales of assault weapons.

She accused Donald Trump of talking “a good game for the cameras”, after the president said on Sunday “things are being done” but then, according to Klobuchar, “folding” to groups like the National Rifle Association.

Democrats in the House of Representatives passed a gun control act in February this year, which would create new background checks for gun transfers between unlicensed people.

The Senate majority leader, Republican Mitch McConnell, has described the two mass shootings over the weekend as “horrifying acts of violence” but has indicated no sympathy for an emergency debate on the bill.

Somebody's got some splainin to do

get Roy in here
Connor is coming
If the shooter was a zzoner he would have known the appropriate place to say the McRib is back is in the McRib is back thread, located here: https://rhizzone.net/forum/topic/1287/
Man shoots up mcdonalds after finding out the Mcrib is not back.
it seems like the most likely culprit is GLT who went back to twitter, where you just came from
The mcrib isnt even back tho?? None of this makes any sense
Shooter was 24 yrs old so would have been a mid-teenager when the rhizz was established. White boy, got massively owned immediately. All mass shooters tend to be sex weirdos. Cycloneboy has not posted since.
short list: Cycloneboy, mustang19, Dark bippy

ilmdge posted:

If the shooter was a zzoner he would have known the appropriate place to say the McRib is back is in the McRib is back thread, located here: https://rhizzone.net/forum/topic/1287/

cars posted:

better move fast, we only have 5 or 6 more potential shooters here now that mustang is in custody

maybe if we wouldn't have posted nihilism and talked so much shit about the DSA he coulda got laid and had healthy serotonin levels. reflecting on my actions rn.

karphead posted:

it seems like the most likely culprit is GLT who went back to twitter, where you just came from

I lost my account 😢

Petrol posted:

The mcrib isnt even back tho?? None of this makes any sense

its a crazy world we live in

ilmdge posted:

ilmdge has always had the greatist memes... getfiscal... i'm sorry....
hi Superabound. people have been saying you're an antisemite on Twitter now,

true??
superabound was an antisemite on tHE rHizzonE so why would there be any question?
I'm not going to assume anyone's on Twitter without giving them a chance to respond to the accusation.
Hmm

Gladio

That's all thank you

cars posted:

I'm not going to assume anyone's on Twitter without giving them a chance to respond to the accusation.

oh my god
mcrib is back but superabound isn't - fuck twitter

trakfactri posted:

Hmm

Gladio

That's all thank you

More like Nerdwoods.

you dweebs do realize that gag didn't start here, right. smdh at this ahistorical cultural appropriation
posting 'the mcrib is back' on fyad, before it even left

shriekingviolet posted:

you dweebs do realize that gag didn't start here, right. smdh at this ahistorical cultural appropriation

yes, we realize that.. just having fun & a few laughs, not a crime.... smdh.........

Anyway. you probably heard that cloudflare reversed position and abruptly pulled DDOS protection from 8chan, possibly condemning the site to death. I read this exiled piece in 2012 and forgot about it because I'd never heard of cloudflare http://exiledonline.com/isucker-big-brother-internet-culture/

cloudflare uses their vast resources to absorb, detect, and mitigate denial of service attacks. their fees are minimal and the real price is routing all traffic to your website through their servers. cloudflare was founded in 2009 after the department of homeland security suggested that the team behind a datamining service called--no joke--'project honey pot' expand their operation.

People who sign up for the service are allowing CloudFlare to monitor, observe and scrutinize all of their site’s traffic, which makes it much easier for intel or law enforcement agencies to collect info on websites and without having to hack or request the logs from each hosting company separately. But there’s more. Because CloudFlare doesn’t just passively monitor internet traffic but works like a dynamic firewall to selectively block traffic from sources it deems to be “hostile,” website operators are giving it a whole lotta power over who gets to see their content. The whole point of CloudFlare is to restrict access to websites from specific locations/IP addresses on the fly, without notifying or bothering the website owner with the details. It’s all boils down to a question of trust, as in: do you trust a shady company with known intel/law enforcement connections to make that decision?

8chan became a household name when the Qanon ARG started there. since then it's made the news for the announcement before the fact of the christchurch, poway, and el paso mass shootings. after each of the attacks cloudflare, held responsible for the website's continued existence, refused to drop it. chief executive matthew price says this is up to his feeling that abandoning 8chan would not kill the website and only serve to further radicalize them. in any case 8chan had merely violated the spirit of the law, and not its letter. on the saturday of the el paso shooting cloudflare reiterated this excuse, but by sunday decided to pull the plug. what could be responsible for the sudden reversal?

Just a day earlier, Prince had argued that keeping “bad” sites within Cloudflare’s network means that the company is able to help monitor activity and flag illegal content to law enforcement. While he would not comment on specifics, he said that Cloudflare receives “regular requests” from law enforcement not to ban certain sites.

kinch posted:

8chan became a household name

did it

it was mentioned on local news
To be clear though I'm not disputing that everything is cops.

cars posted:

yes, we realize that.. just having fun & a few laughs, not a crime.... smdh.........

the wheel turns, and now i have become the dweeb

8chan also probably recieved special protection at the behest of feds for the usual business including the recent thing where someout outed themselves as going on there to forment anti-russia sentiment. which sounded pretty limited-hangouty but whatever
hopefully the shootings will stop now that cloudfare has pulled its support
lol

c_man posted:

which sounded pretty limited-hangouty but whatever

At the time, I thought it was too pointlessly humiliating to make sense as one, but I've got a much more open mind about it now

I mostly just feel like its not representative of the extent and direction of the intelligence community's engagement with that site and other fascist web communities in general. Whether or not it was planned and executed as a limited hangout operation isnt something i care to speculate about i guess, it works that way regardless
I assumed it was a field agent not in on the operation
it's back
i love the mcrib, i wish the mcrib could be my ringtone