toyotathon posted:

winebaby posted:

month seven of ovoveganism, just finished a 36-hour juice cleanse, soon i shall be my ideal weight (birth weight)

was there any one thing or two things that flipped the switch for you? that's like a life-goal, not the birth weight thing, your diet

Not exactly. It helps that the substitute food has become good enough that it isn't a serious lifestyle impediment. Also that I have a durable palette and am not addicted to e.g. sugar. Also that where I live has a lot of vegan-friendly restaurants. A lot of my friends are going vegan in response to climate crises, which means less problems in group dining scenarios. And I think I've reached a point in my life (13 m.o.) where I ought to be taking generally better care of myself. Basically, bourgeois reasons.

c_man posted:

if i go swimming every week my times get mostly worse but if i stop going for several months if feels like they get better. seems fishy to me.

Sounds like you're not eating enough.......

swimming is supposed to seem fishy
i snowshoe'd ten miles, how you like me now

Belphegor posted:

Started working in a kitchen again. I get back pain, I think because I'm too tall for the standard surface heights and I have bad posture

What can I do to protect my back?

Wear insoles in your shoes, and get brighter lights on the kitchen surfaces so you don't feel like you have to stoop down to see what you're doing

karphead posted:

that sounds awful. today was 23c and sunny. daffodils are done, irises are blooming

karphead posted:

i like you..................... a lot!!!!

noticed my damn loaves of bread even had added sugar so now i'm eating that Ezekiel bread. the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men
[account deactivated]
I mostly cook Korean food because there's a lot of very good Youtube channels that teach you how to make Korean food, it's fairly simple, it tastes great, and I like going to the Asian market near me for uncommon (in the US) ingredients. Plus, if you want to impress people, making food they're not super familiar with always makes them overestimate your cooking skill.
korean is pretty affordable too, though it might be good to try to tone down the sugar and salt content in some of the recipes (and I say this as a person who unapologetically cooks lots of salty rich foods.) its also a very good culinary tradition to learn to expand your vegetarian repertoire. learning to make your own kimchi is a good life skill, mine still comes out a little too alkaline but its not ruined. just could be better.

whose recipes do you use? my friend's wife swears by Maangchi and she's only lead me wrong once before, the batter on the fried chicken (or whatever else you want to batter and fry) recipe just doesn't work for me.
somebody stole my sweet roll
I’ll find my sweet roll
i've lost about 40 pounds since i last posted in this thread, saying that i was going to start dieting. No longer really keto, just mildly low carb in a way that keeps me from mindlessly slapping bread on to things. Going not exactly vegetarian but less meat-centric with the diet since the first few months of keto was so much meat that i'm a little sick of it now. It's surprisingly easy to have a chill and nice time with lower carb vegetarian options if you enjoy greense and don't need to slam two pieces of bread around things to feel like its a full lunch.

The most important change was mental, though, in that i finally embraced body-fascism. Sitting at my computer for several hours a day pushing myself to extinguish the desire to eat sugars and breads actually began to pay off around the second week. I'm angrier, now, I think. My clothes from late college fit (still another 20 pounds to go for early college) and I feel better all the time, minus the subtle but powerful desire to avoid contact with people who, out of the goodness their heart, want me to relapse and become their big fat friend again.
i've lost about 40 pounds since i last posted in this thread, saying that i was going to start dieting. No longer really keto, just mildly low carb in a way that keeps me from mindlessly slapping bread on to things. Going not exactly vegetarian but less meat-centric with the diet since the first few months of keto was so much meat that i'm a little sick of it now. It's surprisingly easy to have a chill and nice time with lower carb vegetarian options if you enjoy greense and don't need to slam two pieces of bread around things to feel like its a full lunch.

The most important change was mental, though, in that i finally embraced body-fascism. Sitting at my computer for several hours a day pushing myself to extinguish the desire to eat sugars and breads actually began to pay off around the second week. I'm angrier, now, I think. My clothes from late college fit (still another 20 pounds to go for early college) and I feel better all the time, minus the subtle but powerful desire to avoid contact with people who, out of the goodness their heart, want me to relapse and become their big fat friend again.
sounds unhealthy to lose 40 pounds in four minutes but who am i to say

shriekingviolet posted:

korean is pretty affordable too, though it might be good to try to tone down the sugar and salt content in some of the recipes (and I say this as a person who unapologetically cooks lots of salty rich foods.) its also a very good culinary tradition to learn to expand your vegetarian repertoire. learning to make your own kimchi is a good life skill, mine still comes out a little too alkaline but its not ruined. just could be better.

whose recipes do you use? my friend's wife swears by Maangchi and she's only lead me wrong once before, the batter on the fried chicken (or whatever else you want to batter and fry) recipe just doesn't work for me.

Yeah I'm vegetarian so I really appreciate that Korean food is easy to leave meat out of. Even when fish or shrimp are needed you can usually just use extra kelp or soy sauce or whatever. I mostly learn from Maangchi and Future Neighbor on youtube. Haven't tried making kimchi yet though.

it may not look good but it tasted great
is there a place for good korean recipes where i specifically don't have to watch a youtube video

gay_swimmer posted:

is there a place for good korean recipes where i specifically don't have to watch a youtube video

yes, it's called the democratic people's republic of korea

yes, it's called the democr, shit.

gay_swimmer posted:

Maangchi has a website full of regular text recipes that are pretty reliable, I've never watched one of her videos. The only video recipes you should ever watch are Cooking With Dog

rip to the good dog (ToT)

cars posted:

somebody stole my sweet roll

my niece just destroyed everyone in push-ups

get off your ass and do some

i don't think they correctly guessed which one was mao
Mao: I hope my readers will correct me about the finer points of this daily workout routine.
CIA: Got 'im. Put it in the file
mao lookin like the dandy chairman from iron chef
[account deactivated]
i have been consecutive enough with my bodyweight stuff that i have moved back to free weights. thank you.
[account deactivated]
i found some weights and lifted them...yeaaaa
four years ago i bought belt what had five holes. i used to wear it buckled on the first or second tightest holes. since then ive been eating much better and getting a decent amount of exercise. yesterday i had to drill hole #12
five years ago i was in the best shape of my life -- benching work sets of 250, running 7-minute miles, feeling pretty good

presently i am in the worst shape of my life, >50 lbs heavier; still walk a lot but i've lost all my strength and high-intensity endurance. pretty sure i'm gonna die on the toilet or something.

as of this week i am re-equipped with a gym membership. i've got a renewed sense of urgency. i've got new playlists.

time to shred

Edited by Constantignoble ()

new playlists is most important. goon luck sire.
[account deactivated]
Lmao toyatathon you are so eccentric I love all of your pro tips even though I will never do any of them. I'm just glad you are somewhere out there, doing things your way, like improvising a medicine ball out of one hundred dollars.

Apparently when the Berlin Wall came down and the youth from the west first partied with the youth from the east they were amazed at how strange and idiosyncratic they all were... GDR II When?

toyotathon posted:

got an exercise that takes about 5 mins and kills your arms p good and it costs 2 socks and 5lbs of US coinage, whichever worthless token you want to fill the socks with. i'd cashed my previous deposit at the owner's bank and you can just get whatever amount of coinage you want, like a reverse coinstar, which turns your coinage into gift cards. how generous that my landlord, gave me my own money back, so i got $100 in quarters, which is exactly U$ 5 lbs to one part in 1000. You Put the quarters into 2 socks or whatever. then for 5 minutes you toss your bag of loot back and forth until rendered exhausted in the shoulders. also exercises hand-eye coordination w/o enduring a video game. i think this, and jump rope, is a good workout for people in prison or under work- and house-arrest.

E: Misread your post, thought your landlord paid you back in quarters like some asshole

[account deactivated]