Whenever i hear people talk about modern good scifi its always the expanse, which ive heard people talk about as "game of thrones in space" about half the time it gets mentioned, or alistair reynolds which also seems pretty meh. Maybe the three body problem series is good, i guess i should read those eventually.
Haven't read the books but I watched the first season of The Expanse and liked it. I think the people who say "Game of Thrones in space" might just have that as their only reference point for a show that (a) has some moving parts to the plot and (b) "world building." The main characters are space truckers who get caught in a really big mess, which is better than Games of Thrones' feudal lords who are always fussing and complaining about their maids.

My dad consumed all of those books though. Reminded him a bit of Raiders From the Rings by Alan Nourse, his favorite pulp sci-fi novel as a kid.
XTRO is good science fiction.
you could watch......... XTRO
imo.
im just so tired of these games of thrones
billions of years of evolution weighs heavily upon me as i watch anime

kinch posted:

on topic, union pacific recently refurbished one of their 'big boy' steam locomotives. they had to make most of the parts by hand since they aren't floating around any more.

there's also this cool old stock film about the engine

can't get timestamps to work but skip ahead a few minutes in the first video

i once met a irl foamer* and showed him around the railroad museum in my town where he went absolutely nuts for all the trains. he told me all about the engines there and then about the big boy. one day i hope to get half as excited about anything as he was about those trains

*we discussed whether the term foamer is a pejorative and he did not feel like it is so i am comfortable calling him one. ymmv

Sounds like a good first date was had by all.
pleasantly surprised to find out the makers of game of thrones redeemed themselves by making the last series really bad
it s really strange that the people who managed to watch 7 seasons of that boring shit cant tolerate another boring season lol
that is some real twisted sh*t, thoughts and prayers with the fans of the bad show on tv
Don’t call the show I created and wrote and starred in, Game of Thrones, bad.
its v funny to me that nerds are so incapable of enjoying a tv show without fetishising it as a subject of "fandom" that any mishandling of the conclusion makes them homicidally angry
B5 season 5
Think I might watch Trancers this weekend

miss u tpaine buddy

Game of Thrones? Don't watch it. Television? Don't have one. Yet it's next to impossible to make it through Amerikan kommercial kulture, and maybe many conversations amid its mass produced audiences, without still having to deal with these drugs and dungeons, as here.

Welkkkome to the Game of Prisons.

(it was good. just noticed the steinem quote which makes me suspicious but Oh Well.)
the 3 best music videos of the last 10 years are still Turn Down for What, Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe. Few know this
Muh muh muh poker face

(She's got me like nobody)

cars posted:

the 3 best music videos of the last 10 years are still Turn Down for What, Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe. Few know this

The video for 'pon de floor' came out in august 2009.

trakfactri posted:

Critical support for the Chinese movie industry.

the wandering earth- an alright movie, but i am somewhat disappointed by the lack of prc propaganda promised me by now clearly unreliable commentators

Petrol posted:

The video for 'pon de floor' came out in august 2009.

hmm..

there is also Kyary pamyu pamyu. Back to the lab.....
Hmm Poker Face came out in 2008 so that's out. Gotta go with the backup:

when these tv shows end it's always interesting to see which of the cast go on to bigger things. many are cast in these kinds of roles because they are inhumanly beautiful, which makes playing a waitress or mechanic quite difficult going forward. you can't buy them as "normal" people. imo beautiful rich people need a union.
i wish i was a beautiful person playing pretend on the television in exchange for peanuts and shiny coins
The Red Green Show.

Populares posted:

The Red Green Show.

Where are you watching it? I have an ancient 50 gig torrent of the whole thing in janky 360x240 vhs rips which is... true to the show, at least

shriekingviolet posted:

Populares posted:

The Red Green Show.

Where are you watching it? I have an ancient 50 gig torrent of the whole thing in janky 360x240 vhs rips which is... true to the show, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUXPuYZ4DEQ&list=PLYA1dURVg2KxVhXX-y0viKQi4HoiDSqCs

[account deactivated]

Fayafi posted:

Just finished watching Deadwood today, it ends on a cliffhanger. Then while Googling to see if it got cancelled or what, I find out they wrap it up in a movie coming out tomorrow lol

its fucked up that they dont tell you how the wood died

if true

Fayafi posted:

Just finished watching Deadwood today, it ends on a cliffhanger. Then while Googling to see if it got cancelled or what, I find out they wrap it up in a movie coming out tomorrow lol

i was re-watching it yesterday and didn't know about the movie until now, huzzah

Deadwood is by far the best TV show ever to revitalize a confessed child molester's career