Gene Roddenberry cheated on his wife with Nichelle Nichols for years before he started sleeping with Majel Barrett. Roddenberry told Nichols he wanted to have an "open relationship" with her and Barrett and she was like, Thanks but now you and I are not sleeping together anymore, see you at work on Monday Eugene.
gene rottenberry
Owned. Might take a generation or two. When that moment arrives, remember me. The baby that I'm holding in my hands now is the universe itself. The universe is a spheroid region seven hundred and five meters in diameter. Kill Mitchell while you still can.
thinking about how Bryan Fuller not only made Paul Stamets’s TED talk into a character on Discovery but also literally named the character “Paul Stamets’s TED Talk”

cars posted:

thinking about how Bryan Fuller not only made Paul Stamets’s TED talk into a character on Discovery but also literally named the character “Paul Stamets’s TED Talk”

lately i've been thinking about Aikins, the Shane of the Paramount lot

I watched "By Any Other Name" again. That's probably my favorite episode of Star Trek rn and it's pretty bad but also fun. Gigantic hundred-limbed monsters from Andromeda invade our galaxy, super-charge the Enterprise and start flying it home. It's going to take 300 years to get there regardless, and everyone will be dead by then, so the aliens plan to breed with Scotty on the way there. This is less interesting than it should be, because the gigantic monsters have budget-consciously transformed themselves into sexy guest actors while transforming most of the rest of the cast into pieces of styrofoam with their magic belt buckles. Eventually, Kirk kisses a lady monster until she decides that she likes kissing but she doesn't really care if it's with Kirk or not, then the aliens give up and the episode ends.

"By Any Other Name" is notable because right before the first commercial break, you know that 1 of 2 minor good-guy characters has died in a sort of spooky way, but you're not sure which one yet.

One of the two is a black guy, and one of them is a young white lady.

It turns out he crushed the young white woman, while the black man is fine, which was probably a big enough shock to convince 1960s audiences to sit through the commercials. Hell,

I also re-watched "The Royale". The early script to that episode was sold back during the terrible baby days of the second Star Trek show, and it shows.

You're forced to notice the absolute balls of the people who got "The Royale" produced, filmed and aired, though. Halfway through it, the Enterprise guys find a mummified astronaut who got trapped in the same place as the heroes are trapped for most of the episode. The heroes find the astronaut's diary, but there's only one entry in it. The diary explains that the heroes of the show we're watching are stuck in a repetitive limbo dimension that's based on poorly written genre IP, so it's really that writer's fault that everything in the episode is so boring & cliched.

In conclusion, if I had to write a headline for a review of the episode I watched, it would probably be, "The Royale", With Cheese. Ty and keep watching the skies.
imagine being La Forge and Aikins shows up at a conference instead of you, and your colleagues are like, Black guy in sunglasses, he checks out. Utopia my ass
coming back to the star trek thread to reiterate that the entire point of obrien's character is to reassure nazis that they will have a place in the liberal utopia
i'm not 100% sure bigotry against Germans was the Nazi philosophy......
Basically all of obriens plotlines are fascist fantasies. He married a japanese woman and gripes whenever he has to eat anything that isnt potato-based. His actual canonical racism is vindicated by the writers at every turn. He gets reverse sexism.
Let me talk to Keiko

c_man posted:

Basically all of obriens plotlines are fascist fantasies. He married a japanese woman and gripes whenever he has to eat anything that isnt potato-based. His actual canonical racism is vindicated by the writers at every turn. He gets reverse sexism.

i don't think i'm on this level yet with Star Trek

pescalune posted:

I dunno I like my Trek but it seems more like a distillation of liberal values then any kind of serious utopianism. There are fewer fights true, but you've still got the greedy admirals and misguided Federation gokns. Our heroes defeat and humiliate their enemies with the awesome power of classical liberal arguments, with Logic and Reason. It's like Steven Pinker's wet dream for the future rather than some post-revolution paradise, where we can ditch all the awful shit that comes with liberalism and seemingly without violence evolve into near perfect beings who are Always Right. TNG was awful for that, at least DS9 complicates matters a fair bit.

this is why babylon 5 is 100 times better

i like b5 but i dont understand why garak's skin got all smooth and orange
really the only reason star trek is better than babylon 5 is that the crappy writer who created the second one didn't get kneecapped and rolled out the back at the earliest opportunity, unlike,
if you ever wondered why babylon 5 fell apart like a wet paper bag in later seasons it's because straczynski literally outsourced the plot to fans on Usenet

cars posted:

if you ever wondered why babylon 5 fell apart like a wet paper bag in later seasons it's because straczynski literally outsourced the plot to fans on Usenet

just finish at season 4 imo

cars posted:

drwhat posted:

i can't tell if that's made up or not

I didn't get [+25133 / -182] by lying about Star Trek!!

Your current score of +27241 is across 12296 posts, whereas my +22482 is acrss 7840 posts, and I think someone should note this publcily.

no one's challenged your unparalleled devotion to star trek, terry.
Babylon 5 is good except for season five. DS9 is good.

TNG doesn't exist on a good-bad spectrum as the appeal is watching your pals leisurely cruise around the galaxy while wearing pajamas and sitting in big, comfy chairs. More like a sedative. I half-watch it.

Voyager was a bad show that could've been good were the writers not cowards who'd occasionally come up with interesting ideas only to immediately toss them in the bin. This is because they wanted it to be TNG (without the comfy chairs) instead of Battlestar Galactica without the Mormon eschatology. However, Voyager was fairly popular and remains popular on streaming sites which I consider an indictment of Star Trek fans.

Enterprise is fascist.
mm hmm very Epic opinions there. What do you think of Star Trek

swampman posted:

cars posted:

drwhat posted:

i can't tell if that's made up or not

I didn't get by lying about Star Trek!!

Your current score of +27241 is across 12296 posts, whereas my +22482 is acrss 7840 posts, and I think someone should note this publcily.

Please disable your ad blocker when reading my posts.

No one can beat UNREALTOURNAMENTWARRIOR's rep per post average which is iirc in the double digits. They are our only king

[account deactivated]
Yes, that line from Discovery aged horribly in about 5 minutes, and no, Musk is not in any way associated with show. This is just the first Star Trek where the writers are Fully Online, Babylon 5 style. I expect by the end of next season someone will mention the Federation has a cure for Fail AIDS, because Star Trek is science fiction.

cars posted:

toyotathon posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nFIFQCxxyCcaOx9o0S0u3Db3g-ViWQUFtynql5XxPeo/edit#gid=0

Thank you.

I looked at this and "Heart of Stone" isn't on the list of Dominion-War-related episodes and neither is "It's Only A Paper Moon". Nog is a very good Ferengi and great at Starfleet! Sad!

One of the best parts of Deep Space Nine’s history is Ron Moore’s Q&As on America Online, where, in contrast to Straczynski’s butter-greasy exchanges on Usenet representing Babylon 5, people would ask Moore about nitpicks and “canon” and how their favorite character was being “ruined” and whether Moore would look at their petition to change the series to satisfy “the fans”, and in different, very polite ways, he would tell each of them to eat his butthole, kiss his entire ass, etc.

jansenist_drugstore posted:

i dont care at all about star trek (first time opening this thread) but my gf has to watch them for one of her classes. this is my first time watching it, and we're watching next gen and the new one

in the new season, during the 4th episode, the new spock character or whatever namedropped ELON FUCKING MUSK as 'one of the great thinkers in history' ("dont you wanna be remembered as one of the great thinkers of history? like (fictional character, fictional character, fictional character) and ELON MUSK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" christ on a fucking cross! is he a producer or......? i am fucking dumbfounded

you should watch movies 2 - 6

i mean you can also watch the first one but it has a lot of problems

[account deactivated]
why not the long face
i dont know anything about star trek really but i remember liking the motion picture when i watched it ages ago.
I liked it too. It's peak Roddenberry.

why was he so obsessed with dressing everyone in pyjamas
Star Trek The Motion Picture isn’t “peak Roddenberry” and it’s pretty different from how Star Trek was before that point. Hate to contradict Mike Stoklasa but there it is. The old Star Trek show had like 1-3 gunfights or fistfights per episode.

Horselord posted:

why was he so obsessed with dressing everyone in pyjamas

Clothes in the future are one-use only. You just toss your leisure suit in the vaporizer and replicate a new one in the morning before heading off to work (engineering section). No dirty laundry.

cars posted:

Star Trek The Motion Picture isn’t “peak Roddenberry” and it’s pretty different from how Star Trek was before that point. Hate to contradict Mike Stoklasa but there it is. The old Star Trek show had like 1-3 gunfights or fistfights per episode.

the most important difference between TMP and TOS is it doesn't look like shit. like honestly i have to wonder why star trek was ten years behind everything else for sets, directing, music etc. it was all forbidden planet looking blinking lights and pointy bras shit. even the deflector dish is a big comedy raygun

trakfactri posted:

horrid. wrath of khan clothes for life

cars posted:

i remember it basically being this very slow moving abstract sort of thing. however ive never watched any star trek tv so i dont think i have much context for it being similar or different

Horselord posted:

the most important difference between TMP and TOS is it doesn't look like shit. like honestly i have to wonder why star trek was ten years behind everything else for sets, directing, music etc. it was all forbidden planet looking blinking lights and pointy bras shit. even the deflector dish is a big comedy raygun

I respect the practiced faux stupidity of your trolling.