I did 8 miles on the trail and then threw up
I had a really great pull day yesterday... thought I would share:

Warmup:
Band pull-aparts. palms supinated and raised, pulling elbows out and down
Low weight horizontal cable rows with the double row accessory. Leaning slightly forward, tension in hamstrings, lower back flat. Do not assist the row by leaning back at the hips. Focus on pulling with shoulders first.

Barbell rows: I never seem to fit this one in between other lat work. I did a warmup set at light weight and 3x10 at a challenging weight, with sets of 15 pushups in between sets. I like to include pushups early in a back day to help me connect with my upper back.

Wide grip weighted pullups: 2 sets with a dumbbell grasped between the ankles, knees bent (and then 1 set with no weight). Holding the weight like this makes cheating the pullup much harder, and keeps the posterior chain engaged without having to focus on it. After the pullups, 2 sets of wide grip pulldowns at rough equivalent to body weight (body weight minus 20-25lbs since you don't lift your arms in a pullup).

Note for pull ups. Use your fingers as hooks, do not try to squeeze the bar in your fist. Your palms and forearms simply hang there, they do none of the work; everything that matters is between your elbows.

T-bar row machine: 4 sets on the bastard.. i achieved a deep and satisfying awareness of body symmetry on this one.. highlight of workout

W-raises and Y-raises superset with bicep work: I just stayed put in the row machine for the W and Y raises. I started biceps with a set of high cable curls but the towers got taken over so i switched to drop sets of seated dumbbell curls. A drop set involves doing reps until you don't think you can do another with proper form, then immediately dropping to a lower weight, and repeating the process until you are struggling to lift the smallest weight available.

What is the function of a drop set in strength training? The body makes several adaptations to the trauma caused by exercise. After extremely heavy lifting, the muscle will adapt by increasing the number of proteins responsible for muscle contraction. After lifting to exhaustion, the muscle will respond by increasing the amount of delicious fluid per muscle cell. Or: lift heavy to get strong, feel the burn to get big. Personally, I have pretty inflexible biceps from a lifetime of computer, so I don't really feel comfortable loading them heavy after a lot of rowing work, anyway.

Last: two rounds of "farmer's walk" with the trap bar, and two long sets (25 reps) of horizontal cable rows with the bullhorn-lookin accessory at a low weight.

Nobody promised you that this post would be interesting

swampman posted:

I had a really great pull day yesterday... thought I would share:

Warmup:
Band pull-aparts. palms supinated and raised, pulling elbows out and down
Low weight horizontal cable rows with the double row accessory. Leaning slightly forward, tension in hamstrings, lower back flat. Do not assist the row by leaning back at the hips. Focus on pulling with shoulders first.

Barbell rows: I never seem to fit this one in between other lat work. I did a warmup set at light weight and 3x10 at a challenging weight, with sets of 15 pushups in between sets. I like to include pushups early in a back day to help me connect with my upper back.

Wide grip weighted pullups: 2 sets with a dumbbell grasped between the ankles, knees bent (and then 1 set with no weight). Holding the weight like this makes cheating the pullup much harder, and keeps the posterior chain engaged without having to focus on it. After the pullups, 2 sets of wide grip pulldowns at rough equivalent to body weight (body weight minus 20-25lbs since you don't lift your arms in a pullup).

Note for pull ups. Use your fingers as hooks, do not try to squeeze the bar in your fist. Your palms and forearms simply hang there, they do none of the work; everything that matters is between your elbows.

T-bar row machine: 4 sets on the bastard.. i achieved a deep and satisfying awareness of body symmetry on this one.. highlight of workout

W-raises and Y-raises superset with bicep work: I just stayed put in the row machine for the W and Y raises. I started biceps with a set of high cable curls but the towers got taken over so i switched to drop sets of seated dumbbell curls. A drop set involves doing reps until you don't think you can do another with proper form, then immediately dropping to a lower weight, and repeating the process until you are struggling to lift the smallest weight available.

What is the function of a drop set in strength training? The body makes several adaptations to the trauma caused by exercise. After extremely heavy lifting, the muscle will adapt by increasing the number of proteins responsible for muscle contraction. After lifting to exhaustion, the muscle will respond by increasing the amount of delicious fluid per muscle cell. Or: lift heavy to get strong, feel the burn to get big. Personally, I have pretty inflexible biceps from a lifetime of computer, so I don't really feel comfortable loading them heavy after a lot of rowing work, anyway.

Last: two rounds of "farmer's walk" with the trap bar, and two long sets (25 reps) of horizontal cable rows with the bullhorn-lookin accessory at a low weight.

Nobody promised you that this post would be interesting

pee is stored in the balls

JohnBeige posted:

Front line tower shield in formation at major protests

Lets talk about this a little bit. You are describing activity that primarily depends on the lower body. The shield itself is going to weigh like 20lbs which you can easily get used to holding up, you only need a little endurance in your shoulders, hands and back for this. Passively hoisting the shield is not the hard part, what is hard is bracing the shield against pushing and pulling by someone on the other side of it. If you have weak butt and legs, it doesn't matter how strong your upper body is, you'll fall backward from a strong push. If someone tries to pull the shield from you, they will pull your upper body with it, which will pull your lower body. And if you have to get somewhere else quickly, running with a shield is going to be a real challenge for your lower body. The point of least resistance is between your feet and the ground so that's what you need to work on. Lunges / reverse lunges, sled pushes, squats and deadlifts, and fire hydrants are all good compound movements for you to focus on.

toutvabien posted:

i did it y'all, i'm lifting again. on both Sat and Mon i did (with 30lb dumbbells):

5x5 overhead press (1x10 w/ 10lb dumbbells as warmup)
5x5 squats (same warmup)
5x5 bench (same warmup)
2x10 "lift 10lb dumbbells out to the side, t-pose style" workout whose name idk

and then a 20g protein bar, and lots of water throughout. feels good, even tho my form is probably not perfect

don't worry about form, only computer programmers obsess about that shit

i'm eating like shit and i'm only doing bodyweight stuff to not atrophy to death. fuck. you.
n/t
i think it's way too easy to let your form get away from you. you start lifting, you're doing great, but then a year down the line you suddenly realize you're benching 75lb dumbbells using nothing but your nervous system as a network of pulleys and abuse of the laws of momentum. your form "feels right" but really it's all you've ever known so of course it feels right.

you really do have to concentrate on your form, meaning that you're making sure you're actually engaging your nervous system effectively to target the muscles that correspond to the motion. training your form isn't about emulating exactly what you see on youtube or whatever. it's about integrating the reality of anatomy and dynamics into your psychology. people think the goal of weight training is to put the weight up, but it's really to strengthen the mindbody connection.

yes maybe i'm a computer programmer. i wish i could rewind 10 wasted years of sawtooth-like (on-and-off) progressive overload weight training and tell myself this. i think all of this comes intuitively to some people, but it's a painful process for impatient egg suckers like myself
I have now achieved all my goals in videogames. I can put the time I would have previously used on videogames towards exercise.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

I have now achieved all my goals in videogames. I can put the time I would have previously used on videogames towards exercise.

*the australian settlers book project

nearlyoctober posted:

i think it's way too easy to let your form get away from you. you start lifting, you're doing great, but then a year down the line you suddenly realize you're benching 75lb dumbbells using nothing but your nervous system as a network of pulleys and abuse of the laws of momentum. your form "feels right" but really it's all you've ever known so of course it feels right.

you really do have to concentrate on your form, meaning that you're making sure you're actually engaging your nervous system effectively to target the muscles that correspond to the motion. training your form isn't about emulating exactly what you see on youtube or whatever. it's about integrating the reality of anatomy and dynamics into your psychology. people think the goal of weight training is to put the weight up, but it's really to strengthen the mindbody connection.

yes maybe i'm a computer programmer. i wish i could rewind 10 wasted years of sawtooth-like (on-and-off) progressive overload weight training and tell myself this. i think all of this comes intuitively to some people, but it's a painful process for impatient egg suckers like myself

i was obviously being somewhat facetious. like 90% of form for most exercises is keeping your lower back straight, not buckling your knees, and keeping the weight evenly distributed. i've just found that a lot of new computer programmer-types in the gym obsess about doing everything properly instead of just lifting the weights.

the average programmer thinks their immense knowledge permeates all fields just because they get paid well. i had a coworker at a software company years ago. he was a proud power lifter, he looked down on all the people who took the company-sponsored crossfit classes, and he had all the best answers to health and fitness. except when i asked him why he didn't eat vegetables. he was pale as the moon and balding at 23
Okay, okay people, we all hate nerds here, let's calm down and each commit to dunking a nerd's head in a toilet an extra day this week.
i've been keeping at it! and also trying to cut out refined sugar
why does everything have sugar i hate it
You love it.

dimashq posted:

I just did 3.5 miles of trail running without stopping, new record

I’m at 8 miles without stopping, regularly, now, although most of my progress shot up rapidly since January now that I run several times a week. Feels great

been lifting 6 days a week, feels good, i think i have golfers elbow, repping the front squat deep for 315 and having a swole time doing it
Jesus intimacy christ.. thats like 700lbs. Post your program, large person
[account deactivated]
took really long walks w all three dogs and just feel and see the world differently. now that it's spring i want to do this every day.

swampman posted:

Jesus intimacy christ.. thats like 700lbs. Post your program, large person

no its 315 pounds

trying to lose weight, im down to around 218 now, i was 240

I need to commit to making food and eating meals. It's been hard lately because I'm working seven days a week (and will probably continue to do so for around the next six months), but I know I need it. I've been feeling lethargic because of not eating right. I'm not overweight, if anything I'm underweight, and eating large amounts of real meal needs to be part of any exercise that I'm doing. I need to get into the swing of doing those pushup sets with the pauses that swampman mentioned; I did five sets of ten this evening, and also jumped rope for three straight minutes, which felt very aerobic and I felt my leg muscles aching, though that all might just be a testament to me being out of shape. The curse of the skinny guy is we always think that because we're not fat we're in shape; no sirree.

I've been doing salsa dance lessons which is fun and definitely some sort of exercise too. It's really eating right that I need to focus on. I get very tired at the end of the day and can't do anything but study or post or listen to music, and cooking is in a limited sense a physical activity. Any protein heavy cheap meal suggestions from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
you're gonna do it

psychicdriver posted:

you're gonna do it

absolute banger

[account deactivated]
I like stir fry because you just dice chicken and veggies and sauce them up
staying inside and eating wrong
still off sugar, going pretty well there. haven't lifted in about a week but that's gonna change 2nite
month seven of ovoveganism, just finished a 36-hour juice cleanse, soon i shall be my ideal weight (birth weight)
[account deactivated]
i go on a 36 hour juice cleanse every weekend after stocking up at the liquor store
i just ran 7 miles and then squatted 7@75% 7@75 7@85 3@95 15@60 then did AB WORK!!!!! GETTING STROG!!!!!

winebaby posted:

month seven of ovoveganism, just finished a 36-hour juice cleanse, soon i shall be my ideal weight (birth weight)

im not very impressed by a baby getting back to his birth weight.. that's like your weight from a year ago, settle down

Started working in a kitchen again. I get back pain, I think because I'm too tall for the standard surface heights and I have bad posture

What can I do to protect my back?
i've been doing 3x5 per leg pistol squats just randomly at home recently, instant heart pump when i'm feeling like shit and probably good for my quest to dunk as a 5'9" man
im at 207 now. feeling better! my posting muscles are weak but i am ready to kick ass for father Stalin

lo posted:

im not very impressed by a baby getting back to his birth weight.. that's like your weight from a year ago, settle down

you try drinking a bottle of wine every time a page loads

if i go swimming every week my times get mostly worse but if i stop going for several months if feels like they get better. seems fishy to me.
Realistically theyre probably the same and im experiencing regression to the mean