cars posted:

it's one guy with a sticker

they seem a bit more organised than that(with endorsements from our premier nazi intellectual kerry bolton even) but yeah i don't get the impression it's very many people. always a bit hard to tell though

"In April the former prime minister Tony Abbott – also a member of the Ramsay Centre board – published an article in the conservative publication Quadrant stating that the Ramsay Centre was “not merely about western civilisation but in favour of it”.

In the article Abbott criticised contemporary university education, writing that “every element of the curriculum … pervaded by Asian, Indigenous and sustainability perspectives”.

“Almost entirely absent from the contemporary educational mindset was any sense that cultures might not all be equal and that truth might not be entirely relative,” he wrote"

Gibbonstrength posted:

Without doxxing myself I am very close to this - there have already been death threats and the vice chancellor has called in extra security to protect his office today (gutless).

i used to know a professor there (might still be there for all i know but havent been in touch for a long time). i imagine it's pretty awful to be working under a regime with such low regard for academic standards. please keep us updated

lo posted:

cars posted:

it's one guy with a sticker

they seem a bit more organised than that(with endorsements from our premier nazi intellectual kerry bolton even) but yeah i don't get the impression it's very many people. always a bit hard to tell though

it’s one guy with a sticker

Gibbonstrength posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/dec/17/ramsay-centre-finds-home-for-western-civilisation-degree-in-wollongongTony Abbott and John Howard designed a "Bachelor of ""Western Civilization""" and both ANU and USyd rejected their offer of $50 million to run the degree. Shopping around for a sucker they found the University of Wollongong, who negotiated in secret (to avoid the backlash USyd suffered during negotiations), and accepted the terms hook line and sinker. UoW has already confirmed that the Ramsay Centre (the funding body, with two of our most reactionary former prime ministers on the board) will be vetting the curriculum and also have goons sitting in on classes to ensure everything is going to plan. If it goes ahead, a right wing group of politicians ad businessmen will be able to control university curricula and hiring choices to promote "Western culture".

Without doxxing myself I am very close to this - there have already been death threats and the vice chancellor has called in extra security to protect his office today (gutless). Despite announcning this at the most cowardly possible moment (after classes and exams have ended, and right before Christmas) there looks to be an enormous shitstorm brewing.

last post rescue

a blast from the past
good to see the praxis of the 'stabbing intifada' are not limited to the levantine theatre of anti-imperialist resistance

Teen arrested after two men allegedly stabbed at Church of Scientology headquarters
there are counter-protests against fascist agitators and the coppers are showing their allegiance to the degenerate thugs

I have nothing to say about the current debate over a bill to allow Nauru and Manus detainees to come to Straya for medical treatment except that this country is going to burn in hell. Instead heres something completely different
I will say this re:the Medevac bill. Its bringing out the best in Strayan culture as always.
The bill passed, thankfully. Unclear at this stage how much Labor watered it down to make it palatable for the spooks n thugs crowd, but it's still a clear, if faltering, step in the direction of humanity. Small-l liberal politics wonks are very excited about this being a substantive defeat for a sitting government in the house, the likes of which hasn't happened in 90 years. I am more excited that some sick people are going to get decent medical treatment.
The term "kafkaesque" gets thrown around a lot when talking about miscarriages of justice, but few cases fit the description better than this, in which the highest strayan court not only affirms the constitutionality of indefinite detention without charge (9 years and counting) but bills the detainee for the cost of the legal challenge. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/stateless-man-s-challenge-to-indefinite-detention-in-australia-rejected-by-high-court
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuQ3qrAH9Gp/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=mqbola6uldu5
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/see-ya-later-cunt/
Big news in First Nations land rights as the High Court has upheld a relatively large compensation payout for spiritual harm associated with loss of land, setting a precedent for future claims https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-13/native-title-high-court-land-rights-spiritual-connection/10895934
At least 6 dead in two mass shootings on mosques in Christchurch :(
sorry if this is insensitive or stupid of me but i can help feeling that this happening in NZ makes it a little bit more horrifying
No i think that's a legitimate observation. obviously we aren't free from anti-muslim & anti-migrant sentiment in any sense but the rarity of any kind of large scale violence here means the spillover to something so extreme has blindsided everyone really.
yeah that's exactly what i mean. it's really horrible and my heart aches for anyone affected
shooter allegedly had "14 words" painted on an ar-15. a manifesto has been floating around that's purported to be killers (unconfirmed but appears convincing) which is titled The Great Replacement. contains black sun imagery and explicitly declares allegiance to Moseley's vision of fascism

Petrol posted:

sorry if this is insensitive or stupid of me but i can help feeling that this happening in NZ makes it a little bit more horrifying

it's extremely atypical and unexpected. the far right here is generally not thought of or assumed to be a joke so it's a real blindsided moment.

[account deactivated]
he's australian and did a shooting in new zealand because he's mad about brown people "colonising" "european lands"

[account deactivated]
fwiw 4 people are currently in custody and police can't confirm that there might not be suspects still at large, so take claims in the manifesto of being a lone autonomous attack with a grain of salt for now. could just be short-term noise in the investigation but time will tell.
I would look for a connection between the shooter and "Antipodean Resistance," though I'm not that familiar with the shape of white nationalist groups in the region. I see this as part of a broader trend along with the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter of men turning to terror as the movement's structure and its organizational momentum collapses. Their apocalyptic, end-of-the-world language and belief that they're carrying out a divine quest for the white race contrasts horribly with the ultimately pathetic and self-defeating IRL actions they're carrying out.

Anyways, a reminder of who your enemy is and what he does.
In the coming days I would follow Andy Fleming a.k.a. @slackbastard who is probably the top expert on the far right in Australia. He is highly reliable.
estimates are getting as high as 40-50 casualties. likely to at least be in the 30s at this point :/
It looks like the security agencies are firing up their engines in Australia as well.

trakfactri posted:

I would look for a connection between the shooter and "Antipodean Resistance," though I'm not that familiar with the shape of white nationalist groups in the region. I see this as part of a broader trend along with the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter of men turning to terror as the movement's structure and its organizational momentum collapses. Their apocalyptic, end-of-the-world language and belief that they're carrying out a divine quest for the white race contrasts horribly with the ultimately pathetic and self-defeating IRL actions they're carrying out.

Anyways, a reminder of who your enemy is and what he does.

we do have homegrown white nationalists that are quite capable of doing stuff on their own so i wouldn't necessarily assume a connection with any aussie groups, though it's certainly possible because of his background.

Christchurch especially is pretty much their breeding ground, to the point of it being pretty novel to see them anywhere else
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
speaking of nauseating

In twisted footage, the gunman says “let’s get this party started” as he drives up to a mosque playing loud music.

He also says “Remember lads, subscribe to pewdiepie”

ialdabaoth posted:

speaking of nauseating

In twisted footage, the gunman says “let’s get this party started” as he drives up to a mosque playing loud music.

He also says “Remember lads, subscribe to pewdiepie”

Any news on what the other conspirators are being charged with? I assume they were responsible for the car bombs. This level of organization is terrifying.

shriekingviolet posted:

Any news on what the other conspirators are being charged with? I assume they were responsible for the car bombs. This level of organization is terrifying.

given the breivik connection i'm wondering if the bombs were supposed to be a distraction but failed to go off, or what. the guardian are also saying the plan was for the others to wait outside the hospital and blow up ambulances as they took victims to the ER.

thankfully the multiple car bombs thing turned out to be early misreporting and it was actually just multiple IEDs on a single car. the other detained individuals were taken in i believe for suspicions of possessing firearms in the area, one has been released already and the others probably will too. i'm inclined to think it was actually a lone autonomous attack now that the car bomb thing was cleared up