i think the fundamental problem with comic book movies is allowing them to be live action. i like animated superhero stuff, but when it's real people it just descends into bathos. i can't take a real person seriously doing this goofy stuff. i guess that's the problem, like you say getfiscal; comic books movies are suddenly expected to be taken seriously, and them being live action sort of insists on that, which i think is a problem. the last comic book movie i saw was guardians of the galaxy, and before that iron man 2. the worst thing about them is the snarky humor. every character has a quip. there are no characters that take themselves seriously, which comic book villains are supposed to do. maybe that new spiderman movie is ok because it's animated, but i haven't seen it.
well paradoxically i actually don't mind the actual comic book movies because i know they will be pretty bad but still enjoyable at a popcorn level. like i go see most of the big movies that come out just as routine. and i think it's partly because at some level trying to pretend wonder woman is a great movie is obviously a joke so it doesn't nag at me. but when i see a movie and it's just like green book or something like "IMPORTANT ISSUES! PEOPLE RELATING ACROSS BARRIERS!" then i'm like who cares dude lol. on the other hand i haven't actually gone back and watched the more artsy films i watched as a youth so they might all feel like that too. if that's the case i guess i just need to chill out.
I was about to gripe about movies these days all being stupid and no one makes movies about actual human problems without wrapping it up in an overwrought metaphor that flakes away to reveal nothing but shallow platitudes, you couldn't have a Tarkovsky today, blah blah blah then I remembered Sorry To Bother You is completely perfect in every way and I revoke my complaints. Give Hollywood to Boots Riley.
boots just got backing from paramount (iirc) to do another movie
superhero movies are an exploration of different ways it was possible to prevent 9/11 from happening, and then in the climax they go out and prevent 9/11 from happening
[account deactivated]
what if ben laden is the real superhero?????????**********
Got stuck watching avengers 2 back around Christmas and the plot involved two young people with super powers get radicalized after surviving stark industries drone bombing their Eastern European city, and they made them the bad guys! At least until they were convinced otherwise and teamed up with the avengers to bomb other people. Also every scene had like 10 characters in it all trying to be the main character and it was like eating a pizza with every ingredient available in the store on it.
So, they built the wall. They built it and it worked.

The year is 2045. There is a hideous flap of concrete in a completely arbitrary line along the northernmost reaches of Mexico. Every once in a while, a drone buzzes along its ramparts. The drone, if it has any ammunition remaining, will shoot anyone it sees climbing on the wall. Fewer and fewer drones are lethal since the last Israeli maintenance worker abandoned their prison slaves and slinked back to Palestine. But they are still a threat to anyone who wants over the wall, which is just about nobody. You might be surprised to learn that a similar barrier now winds along the southern extent of Canada. After Amerikan settler raids began damaging agriculture and conservation efforts in Canada, the world pitched in and sealed the US off completely.

The wall worked. It set a hard limit on manifest destiny: manifest that shit within your contiguous 48 because it's now unwelcome everywhere else. The US military made various provocations that nobody took seriously. Out of fuel, money and material, its ICBMs and Pentagon officials aged to states of dangerous unreliability, it entered its death spasms, gnashing its gums in panic. The world watched by satellite, and the occasional idiotic fringe journalist's nervous radio broadcasts, as Amerika consumed itself, exterminated many of its people, enslaved others, lost control of its remote regions, and bubbled over with its own trash and shit.

The wall worked to contain the burst of America's capitalist bubble while the rest of the planet reformed itself and entered a new era of harmony with nature. Over 190 countries ratified the world's first "thousand-year plan" to arrest anthropogenic climate change and provide for continued human habitability. Over the airwaves, the world listened to the screams as Los Angeles and Portland burned down, Phoenix and Houston choked to death, and a third of Manhattan, overloaded with useless skyscrapers, collapsed in sections into the foul Hudson. Ex-police warlords turned rural towns into fiefdoms. Trees in Amerika were reduced to .5% of their 2017 population. It is now 2045, and to everyone's surprise, a little raft has been intercepted by the Turtle Island Containment Fleet. On this raft is an envoy from the last vestiges of the Amerikan government, accompanied by a few trusted journalist-explorers from normal countries. "We give up," the envoy declares. "We need help. Please teach us how to live." The world immediately begins preparations to breach the wall and send a skilled humanitarian army to assess the damage. What would they find?

In various years from 2009 to 2016, A&E released a 118 episodes of a reality TV program about compulsive hoarding,

Edited by swampman ()

Genealogy focused therapy suggests that families can be influenced by events as many as 10 generations past. Watch this show about hoarders and imagine who they might be descended from. Jesus fucking christ.
Shoutout to the dude at the end of season 3 who needed emotional support after his wife died, so now he lives with and feeds thousands of rats who have destroyed his house and frequently cannibalize each other. Shout out to this dude as he is unable to make the decision to euthanize a dying rat whose intestines are hanging out. What are tHE rHizzonE watching. What Are the Rhizzone Watching

Edited by swampman ()

Edit: edit

Edited by wasted ()

Movies by Korean director Park Chan Wook.
various comedy bang bang spinoffs
a lot of GameCenter CX

toutvabien posted:

a lot of GameCenter CX

He'll yeah.

the masked singer
I watched a terrible netflix thing yesterday when I should have been organising and putting away my things after my travels. It was a documentary about that Fyre festival nonsense. Very funny at times, like when one of the organising guys said he was genuinely ready to suck a customs guy's dick to get container loads of Evian released, and especially when the festival goers arrived at the camp site and it turned into a bougie lord of the flies situation. But also quite heartwrenching because of all the local workers who toiled day and night for weeks to try and set up the site and never got paid. Netflix documentaries, a land of contrasts

Petrol posted:

like when one of the organising guys said he was genuinely ready to suck a customs guy's dick to get container loads of Evian released,

Bay Area Influencer sitting in The Thinker pose, thinking the big hard thoughts with his magnificent brain and deciding the easiest way to get drinking water is to ship it through international customs.

Petrol posted:

I watched a terrible netflix thing yesterday when I should have been organising and putting away my things after my travels. It was a documentary about that Fyre festival nonsense. Very funny at times, like when one of the organising guys said he was genuinely ready to suck a customs guy's dick to get container loads of Evian released, and especially when the festival goers arrived at the camp site and it turned into a bougie lord of the flies situation. But also quite heartwrenching because of all the local workers who toiled day and night for weeks to try and set up the site and never got paid. Netflix documentaries, a land of contrasts

one of my favorite things about the doc was the fyre employees who had nothing to do with the festival getting all weepy because they believed in what they were doing. another useless app aimed at rich white people. really changing the world for the better

i dont understand how anyone can watch the doc and not feel a visceral rage about the culture that fyre fest represented. instagram "supermodels" and influencers, nyc rich asshole club culture, first worlders buying bahamian islands and exploiting the labor of locals. i just wanted everyone involved strung up, including (especially?) the attendees. i probably wouldnt despise mcfarland (as much) if he was just a grifter separating these people from their unearned money but he was obviously buying into the lifestyle in a major way. basically, anyone who saw it should have googled "how to build a guillotine" immediately after

the worst part about the laborers not getting paid is that you know if any of the lawsuit money gets paid they will be the absolute last people to get any of it. the asshole investors who were defrauded will be the first in line followed by the credulous ticketholders, and the poor bahamians will never see a dime

albert finney died. very sad!
[account deactivated]
Come on man. That blippi asshole is in my kid's regular youtube rotation. I thought i would be safe from him here 😓
i finally found a steve harvey clip i liked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijBR77iK3Tw
brendan fraser is good in doom patrol, a webseries based on a self-indulgent comic run. weird turn of events.
i hate to encourage anyone to go on netflix but the sports documentary series 'LOSING' is about people who lost the big one and is fucking cool, especially the episode about curling which i genuinely believe to be one of the best sports documentaries i have ever seen.

if you're looking for a deep cut and don't want to go on netflix the documentary 'FACING ALI' is basically about the same general thing and also kicks ass
I watched Tarkhovsky’s Nostalghia
i watched the embrace the serpent movie mentioned somewhere here and liked it - herzog wouldn't have skimped on showing the massacre is my main critique i thinque, but it was good, it stuck with me. it's all i ask for after having seen the matrix part two.

TG posted:

Petrol posted:
i probably wouldnt despise mcfarland (as much) if he was just a grifter separating these people from their unearned money but he was obviously buying into the lifestyle in a major way.

He got high on his own supply.

karphead posted:

i watched the embrace the serpent movie mentioned somewhere here and liked it - herzog wouldn't have skimped on showing the massacre is my main critique i thinque, but it was good, it stuck with me. it's all i ask for after having seen the matrix part two.

the director that also co directed 'birds of passage' which is pretty cool too, although more conventional. its a sort of a tragedy about a community of indigenous people in columbia getting involved in the drug trade in the 60s and 70s

i watched the magnitsky act, it was interesting
i watched a tv show for first time in a while. rupaul's dragrace... the inevitably trashy/fake reality tv format fit very well amplifying those same drag elements.
PSA: David Harvey is redoing his lectures on das kapital in glorious 1080p. idk if its got anything else going for it tho. this series feels like just another podcast unlike the original series which was produced by a proper crew. otoh, we can troll live in the comments

i find my enjoyment of films and television is limited by the fact that i am watching grown ups play let's pretend. it is very hard to take any filmed work serious.

ghostpinballer posted:

i find my enjoyment of films and television is limited by the fact that i am watching grown ups play let's pretend. it is very hard to take any filmed work serious.

have you tried video games?

ghostpinballer posted:

watch some bresson films, he's very good at taking out the theatrical elements in favor of pure gesture. also as far as realist filmmaking goes mikio naruse and yasujiro ozu are great.

ghostpinballer posted:

acting is doing

ghostpinballer posted:

this isnt the DSA thread pal

ghostpinballer posted:

i assume you're trolling but if not you can easily cure yourself by watching mulholland drive a few times. ganbatte ne