1. Presidential vacancy, if there actually was one, would be filled by head of legislature, Juan Guaido. Guaido says he’s ready to assume presidency. OAS recognizes him as President.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-idUSKCN1P51U6
2. Opposition begins dangling immunity for any military that might turn on Maduro.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-military-idUSKCN1P52HH
3. Bolsonaro recognizes Guaido as rightful president.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-venezuela-idUSKCN1P60FJ

So this is an attempted parliamentary-type coup that obviously relies on tortured logic and the election that Maduro won not counting. If the military stays with Maduro then it doesn’t actually remove his authority but the fascist alliance recognizing Guaido is going to muddy the waters and present Maduro new challenges.

Edited by ilmdge ()

very much enjoying the free press' take on this, where fascist opposition bribing the army to murder the elected head of state is reframed as "offering incentives" to "effect non-linear constitutional change". even counter-revolutionary coups sound like a fucking HR meeting in this boring neolib hellworld.
[account deactivated]

Proposing to take power
a man is arrested...just for attempting to coup the president...chilling
what is the viability of maduro's presidency tho? the forces arrayed against the country right now seem insurmountable. is there a way out of this that i'm not seeing?
i mean that was the situation cuba was in forever. who knows?
Being an island nation probably helps
Also not being next to brazil
The army still backs the government, this isn't much more than PR

ilmdge posted:

Proposing to take power

Still lolling @ this

the army still backs the government through through and through. when it comes to the crunch a whiff of grapeshot will keep the counterrevolutionaries at bay

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence issued a video message of support to Venezuelans on Tuesday to encourage those who are protesting against President Nicolas Maduro and underline U.S. backing for opposition leader Juan Guaido.

Pence declared U.S. support again for Guaido, with whom he spoke by phone earlier this month, and the National Assembly, which he leads, as the “last vestige of democracy.” Pence said Washington supported Guaido’s decision to assert the body’s powers, declare Maduro a “usurper” and push for a transitional government to be established.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-venezuela/hola-im-mike-pence-us-vp-delivers-message-of-support-to-venezuelans-idUSKCN1PG1W9

To be attacked by the enemy is not a bad thing but a good thing
Hands off Venezuela!

feel like i've seen this somewhere before
Sticky thread time? Mods??

serafiym posted:

feel like i've seen this somewhere before

citizens taken into custody...just for trying to coup the government...chilling

They fuckin with my access to the https://www.psuv.org.ve/ website..... thats full spectrum warfare

Marco Rubio tipping the US’s plan here, preemptively blaming Venezuela for a massacre that hasn’t happened yet

Btw the metrics on that tweet are really big. Probably safe to assume a lot of the “thank you Senator!” stuff is amplified by bots
Today is the day 😬😬
(Needless to say the effort to destroy Venezuela began long ago and today’s event and responses to it will also continue for some time)
victory to the venezuelan people, death to the contras, death to amerikkka

ilmdge posted:

Marco Rubio tipping the US’s plan here, preemptively blaming Venezuela for a massacre that hasn’t happened yet

Btw the metrics on that tweet are really big. Probably safe to assume a lot of the “thank you Senator!” stuff is amplified by bots

and

ialdabaoth posted:

ilmdge posted:

and

epically fucking up your own evil scheme while telegraphing who is next on your hit list, that is such a marco thing to do

The fact that both the head of state, his understudy, and the most latinx-adjacent pig in their crew are all suddenly making multiple public statements on this (truman's statement is not even released yet but is "anticipated" to drag it out) is extremely good. They can't start a war with Venezuela two years out from the election. Note that I don't fully understand what I'm talking about and have no expertise but as usual am hoping someone will make a wager against my prediction. If you haven't tried it - gambling rules, it's like all I do now
Gonna go ahead and swear myself in now

Ro Khanna offered a qualified rebuke of this coup but silence so far from progressive heroes Bernie Sanders and AOC

“In its role as the only legitimate branch of government duly elected by the Venezuelan people, the National Assembly invoked the country’s constitution to declare Nicolas Maduro illegitimate, and the office of the presidency therefore vacant,” Trump said in a statement. “The people of Venezuela have courageously spoken out against Maduro and his regime and demanded freedom and the rule of law.”

this is running in all the big outlets, and they're uncritically reporting his statement just like they did the last time he had to give a speech about the affairs of the empire. the media has been decrying trump's leadership since 2017, but when he condemns or bombs an Official Bad Place they have to switch up and pretend that he has sincerely held beliefs about any of this stuff, because he's the Leader of the Free World despite being a dribbling moron. if they were doing their jobs anything close to well, they would simply ask him, on live television, (a) what language people in venezuela speak and (b) to name one country venezuela shares a border with. imagine watching him, flanked by stone faced, self-important generals and psycho neocons in the press room, trying to slur and bullshit his way out of answering those questions. which is of course exactly why nobody in the press destroys kayfabe by asking him stuff like that. this really is what they mean by hypernormalisation, isn't it.

we need to propagate more of these sorts of responses to COINTELPRO drivel
Guado is hiding int he Colombian embassy in Caracas. So far I've seen 1 picture of 1 burning truck. This coup gets an F, 3 pinocchios, and a participant ribbon
*standing up* no, i am internim president of venezuela
*solomnly swearing myself in as interim president of the u$a*
first things first, *signing an exectutive order to replace cheese with condom on all the pizza*
Imperialist aggression escalates
[account deactivated]
when the history of the Bolivarian Revolution is written in 2119, i sincerely hope it turns out that this coup was foiled largely because Lil' Marco Rubio telegraphed their punches
Venezuela’s dollar bonds, which have gained 25 percent on average this year, rallied further on Wednesday as the opposition increased pressure on Maduro. While most of Venezuela’s bonds are in default, investors believe regime change could usher in plans to fix the economy and restructure the debt.