Also sore as hell which means stretching is gonna feel amazing all week
I ran a heck of a lot and very consistently this spring and summer but missed the last 3 weeks bc of foot injury and now going back to my old mileage is daunting
Substitute some of yr running with jumping rope (so you can stop before hurting yrself without having to walk home) and weighted lunges / split squats (same + the increased load will improve yr foot muscles & bones) and remember to stretch yr feet and ankles every day
protip you do not need a jumprope in order to jumprope if you exercise where no one will see you
idk.. one of the reasons to jump rope instead of doing similar exercises is that it improves your coordination
you still have to do the hand+arm motions cars
the rope is an obstacle. you have to make the rope go fast and jump over the rope every time or admit to yourself that you are clumsier than a tiny child who recently learned how to walk. if you LARP the rope and every now and then stumble a couple steps forward while swearing and mumbling excuses under your breath then i withdraw my critique.
how do i get strong without anybuggy being able to tell?
Very carefully.
https://incels.is/threads/will-punching-your-own-jaws-and-chin-make-it-more-defined.83913/
Fuck no. It will fuck you up. You will get bigger sure. But it will get more assymetrical.

ialdabaoth posted:

Fuck no. It will fuck you up. You will get bigger sure. But it will get more assymetrical.

Oh please https://lookism.net/Thread-How-can-Bradley-Cooper-look-so-good-in-motion-with-assymmetry-like-this

i don't havea pedometer but i di wear an assymeter when i go hiking
measuring how long an imperialist lackey has left to live with my assadmeter
i like to start the day with a limited edition tropical red bull

swampman posted:

Who else love to work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for me it's weird to sit in equipment rooms with other insecure people nervously avoiding each other but i do love basketball!!!!!!

There was a time that I felt that way about equipment rooms. Then as I got better at lifting, I didn't feel insecure anymore. Then I realized all the other people that I had perceived as also insecure, were really just trying to get their workouts done. And I realized we are all avoiding each other as a byproduct of being focused on our personal work, and I realized that I could in fact say hello to people that I see at the gym frequently, and they would be polite back. I also realized, as I got better at lifting, that when you actually go into the gym knowing what you need to get done, and ready to give that your full effort and attention, that there's very little time left over for worrying about the unpleasant aspects of social interaction. I just keep my creep cam on its battery saving "passive alert" setting so I can maybe get a legit reason to chuck a 5lb weight like a discus at a harasser one day. Anyway, if you play basketball but never do strength training you're going to injure yourself and be doing jack fuck for 3 months.
Been going to the YMCA... only doing the bike for a short while. Mostly just trying to get into the habit of showing up, getting changed, doing some exercise, etc because of anxiety. Seems to be going okay. Now I just need to start doing some weights and going more consistently. Then I will get insanely swole and be able to bully Trots.
Going to be renting a room from some people opening a martial arts studio, so it'll be right there and I'll be able to take some classes for free. Used to do it a lot in the past, so might be cool to get into strength shape. I've never been unhealthy, but it would nice to be strong.
I wish I had the discipline to lift weights or do pushups or whatever. I have sort of "functional" strength from working a lot in life, but it would be nice to go even further.
la dialectique peut elle casser des briques??

getfiscal posted:

Been going to the YMCA... only doing the bike for a short while. Mostly just trying to get into the habit of showing up, getting changed, doing some exercise, etc because of anxiety. Seems to be going okay. Now I just need to start doing some weights and going more consistently. Then I will get insanely swole and be able to bully Trots.

What are your goals? It's important to have in mind what you want to do rather than what you "need" to do. If all you care about is that you show up to the gym and produce sweat, no matter what the results, then your goal should be to do that five days in a row, then twenty days in a month, or whatever. It can help to set your goals in terms of bodyweight exercises, eg. a goal of doing 15 pushups in a row. Then you can still work toward these goals if you can't get into the YMCA. Also bodyweight exercises get much easier with weight loss, if that's something you care about.

Edited by swampman ()

what's a good exercise to do with no equipment in the morning for strength training? also what's a good cheap healthy meal plan? i know you can find a million answers for this stuff by googling, but if someone just recommends something i'll do it and won't have to choose between all the options.
Pushups. Idk about meal plan it depends on your nutritional needs
spending like 10 minutes preparing and eating mujadara from a rice cooker everyday
You should eat at least .8g protein per pound bodyweight each day. Some foods are protein-complete, others are not. Protein powder is a good investment. Protein is the expensive part of getting strong.

You need to decide whether you want to lose fat - during which time your muscles will tend not to grow - or build muscle - during which time you will probably add some fat. If you eat fewer calories, you'll lose fat, and if you eat more calories, you'll build muscle. If you eat enough calories for maintenance, you'll lose fat and gain muscle over time, but not as quickly as if you were doing a calorie deficit and then a surplus, or vice versa. You also need to maintain the same minimum protein intake whatever your calorie intake.

If you're new to exercise, you will "gain strength" for the first several months of working out even if you are eating at a small caloric deficit. This is because other factors beside raw muscular strength will improve dramatically early on. These include your cardiovascular health, your balance and proprioception, your ability to intentionally activate muscles (the mind-muscle connection), and your perception of what is too heavy or strenuous.

As for a morning routine with no equipment? Your muscles need time to recover if you want to gain strength, so you don't want to do pushups every day at first. A daily morning routine should be about stretching and light cardio. You should consider getting a pull up bar and a resistance band, as training your back is difficult without being able to do pull ups and rows. If you post your height and bodyweight and where you're at with exercise right now, people can probably suggest specific exercises and routines
i'm 6'9, 420lbs
slow work day, ran up and down the stairs a bunch for the heck of it
mopped a real big room. polished a bunch of stainlss steel fixtures. think i got everty major muscle group
what are some good stretches to do before doing some "strength" exercises? i'm 6'1" maybe 150 pounds (i'm not sure, i don't have a scale). i know i need to gain some weight too to get stronger; so far i've been doing pushups, sit-ups, and squats every day, adding one a day, and holding a pushup halfway down at the end, and a squat as well. i'm up to 24 of each, i started with 1. 20 seconds holding the pushup as of today, holding for 1 extra second each day, and 40 seconds holding the squat (the past couple of days i've added 5 seconds each day).

i know this is all very disordered. i don't have a chin up bar but occasionally i've tried doing them on a door. i'm always scared the door will break though, and it's a little difficult to do that logistically so i haven't been doing pullups with any regularity.

you said not to do pushups every day swamp, should i do them every other day then?
Don't stretch before lifting... stretching and warming up are not the same thing. To warm up for pushups you can just do some yoga positions like cat-cow, bird dog, downward dog, that kind of thing. Stretching is about restoring lost range of motion rather than increasing normal range of motion. You can stretch a bit after your workouts if you feel like your range of motion is limited by inflexibility, but stretching is ideally done independently from lifting, as in yoga. It may not be necessary to stretch at all if you have good range of motion already. Like if you can already do a squat to full depth, butt below the level of your knees, without discomfort, then as long as you continue to squat like that, you probably don't need to stretch your quads often.

Exercise damages muscle tissue so that it can respond by growing. Muscle growth only happens as you recover, and full recovery from an adequate workout takes ~2 days with good sleep. For you to get stronger, your muscles have to heal more than the damage you did to them in your workout. So a good program evenly and thoroughly works the entire body, allowing for adequate recovery time.

You should start doing pushups in sets. Try doing sets of ten pushups with 45s-1min rest in between sets, and see how many you can do. I don't know where you got the isotonic hold from, there's nothing terribly wrong with it exactly, but the majority of muscle damage happens during the "negative phase" of the movement, when you are controlling the return of the weight to its starting position. Heavier weight, lowered* more slowly builds the most strength.

I would stop the sit ups. There are lots of other good bodyweight ab work exercises that you can try, that will better enable you to activate your abs and obliques. Dead bug is a good one. Most compound exercises work your core anyway, if you get up to 8 sets of 25 pushups in a workout, your abs are going to be pretty strong.

This is a really good investment for someone who wants to do minimal-equipment strength training, as it opens up a lot of simple and effective lat and shoulder exercises. You should also just figure out a pull up bar (don't use your doorframe anymore), but also consider a lower bar that allows you to do rows (the exact opposite movement of a pushup - you're face up, hanging beneath the bar, and lift yourself up to it). You might be able to put a pipe on a couple tall chairs or something for that.

*For movements that oppose gravity, true of most bodyweight exercises

swampman posted:

This is a really good investment

I got up to 6 miles in 32 minutes on my rowing machine tonight! Personal best :3 I still need to start cooking so I can eat more protein, and I need to find another way to work my arms cuz I'm not really getting any definition on my biceps or core despite the rowing (which, outside of some kettleball stuff is the only thing I'm doing).

PYF routines for someone who knows nothing and is low on equipment! Gonna be buying those resistance bands next check, ty swampman!
i don't know anything and im low on equipment. my favorite routine is marching around in the woods over hill and dale for hours

JohnBeige posted:

I got up to 6 miles in 32 minutes on my rowing machine tonight! Personal best :3 I still need to start cooking so I can eat more protein, and I need to find another way to work my arms cuz I'm not really getting any definition on my biceps or core despite the rowing (which, outside of some kettleball stuff is the only thing I'm doing).

PYF routines for someone who knows nothing and is low on equipment! Gonna be buying those resistance bands next check, ty swampman!

Glad to hear you are rowing for cardio.

How much protein are you eating each day right now and what's your weight?

What do you hope to get out of exercise? If you have an aesthetic goal in mind, post a picture of someone who looks the way you want to look and we can talk about what they probably did to get there. Regarding core and arm definition, a couple things to think about: first, ab / oblique definition is hugely dependent on your body fat percentage. Second, it takes years dude. You can add like 1-2lbs of muscle a month if you get a lot of protein and exercise effectively.

There are so many different approaches to getting strong that it really depends on what you want. But let's say that you wanted a routine based around kettlebells, bodyweight exercises, and the band. In general, because it's hard to heavily load your muscles with this equipment, your exercises will be more about endurance, balance, and focusing on proper form. Here's list of some exercises you can look up for each muscle group:
Chest - pushups, kb bench press, kb floor press, dips (requires dip bars)
Shoulders - wall clocks, band pull-apart, kb overhead press, front raise, lateral raise, facepulls
Triceps = tricep dips, diamond pushups, banded tricep kickbacks, skullcrushers

Lats - renegade rows, bent-over rows / kroc rows, pull-ups (requires bar), band rows
Upper back - more facepulls I guess, or W raises on a bench
Biceps - band curls, idk who cares

Butt, legs: Banded deadlifts, squats, lunges, fire hydrants, hip thrust, other

abs, obliques: Too many to list

Good luck

I don't have an asthetic goal as much as I need to be able to carry half a plastic trashcan for 2-3 hours at a time. This means I'm trying to get my arms and upper body stronger cuz there's no way I can handle that right now. I have a little over a year to train for it though so I'm not too worried.

I have no idea how much protein I'm eating. I eat fast food for breakfast and a shift meal that's usually 1/4 - 1/2 cup of chicken and some veggies in a soup with some cornbread. I weigh 130 (give or take 5 lbs) and this is basically my max weight.

I'm currently reading through 'Convict Conditioning' and will start it next month, when I'm hoping to have my meal plan settled. I'll test my max for before/after purposes with a month or two in between.
im curious about the half a trashcan goal. your shift meal is identical to mine with the substitution of tofu for chicken (pretend this is a banjo)
Front line tower shield in formation at major protests

Edited by JohnBeige ()

i did it y'all, i'm lifting again. on both Sat and Mon i did (with 30lb dumbbells):

5x5 overhead press (1x10 w/ 10lb dumbbells as warmup)
5x5 squats (same warmup)
5x5 bench (same warmup)
2x10 "lift 10lb dumbbells out to the side, t-pose style" workout whose name idk

and then a 20g protein bar, and lots of water throughout. feels good, even tho my form is probably not perfect
it has been like 9mos at least