Who is the highest paid person in the ngo

Sniping Execs!
Vancouver has a tenants union that seems to do some good work.

https://www.vancouvertenantsunion.ca/
by good work I basically mean 'showing up' because landlords and developers will do whatever they want anyway, but, you know
does anyone call them the No Dick Party? Seems unavoidable.

littlegreenpills posted:

theres some new guy who's gonna start working at my job who is leaving some sort of public housing ngo, what shd i ask him

how he's doing

if he's in the process of exiting an NGO the answer is always "absolutely terrible"

getfiscal posted:

i think ford promised that rent control will be grandfathered in for existing tenants. although if they mostly repeal it beyond that then it will create lot of opportunities for landlords to kick out tenants, which they can often find a way to do. i dunno though, not an expert. i am probably just going to move home soon so whatever.

in san francisco now that housing prices are extremely insane but there's a lot of rent control, landlords just use a loophole that allows them to evict tenants if either they or a direct relative wants to live in the apartment or if they want to "go out of the rental business". so they just lie and keep it empty for the requisite time before re-renting at market-rate or just sale the building and tear it down to build condos. so best case scenario they throw out some disabled 70 year old retired school teacher w/ no living relatives paying $500/mo and a shitty neice has a city vacation home for a year before renting it to some techie for $4,000/mo.

Edited by aerdil ()

getfiscal posted:

i want to learn more about housing activism so if anyone has stuff to read about that then let me know. a maoite sent me a booklet about it once but i never got around to it.

Apparently there's a short film called This is Parkdale being screened in hip theaters and lecture halls right now about the Parkdale strike in Toronto last summer, if you can find a screening there would probably be people in attendance who could point you in the right direction for actual word on page books. I haven't seen it myself yet. Some folks seem to vouch for The Parkdale Organizes Collective as good people, I don't have a direct contact with them right now but someone extremely unreliable might follow up with me about it... eventually...

thanks, i checked and it is on youtube. i know some people involved in the parkdale thing too.
I'm actually moving to Parkdale. I'm going to try and get in touch with some of these people
My boss was complaining because the NDP raised the minimum wage. Normally I treat him like a cop; say nothing, make no eye contact. But for some reason I blurted out "You're lucky they're not throwing you in the fucking gulag". I think I successfully played it off as a joke, but it's hard to tell cause I think he was stunned that I dropped an f-bomb in front of his kid.

Soviet_Salami posted:

My boss was complaining because the NDP raised the minimum wage. Normally I treat him like a cop; say nothing, make no eye contact. But for some reason I blurted out "You're lucky they're not throwing you in the fucking gulag". I think I successfully played it off as a joke, but it's hard to tell cause I think he was stunned that I dropped an f-bomb in front of his kid.

that's a spicy soviet salami

So Maxime Bernier, the 500gig baby who stormed out of the federal Conservative party because it wasn't nazi enough, has finally made his own spinoff party where he can eat ice cream for breakfast and stay up past bedtime torturing immigrants whenever he wants. What does this have to do with the NDP that everybody hates? well,

NDP: "it's called the People's party? I've never heard of this Bernier guy but that sounds nice"
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/ndp-mla-robyn-luff-alleges-bullying-within-party-leaves-legislature-in-protest

Even the NDP hates the NDP
nasty dick party. they gotta nasty ass dick. "hey jack layton" , they say, "we can smell your dick from over here".

The Calgary MLA takes issue with the fact she must vote with the leader at all times

isnt this kind of the point of a parliamentary party

In practice, pretty much? Alberta's NDP stumbled blindly into accidental victory over an actively self-destructing and divided conservative party, so almost all of their parliament seats are filled by total newbies who uh... Still don't really understand what they signed up for. It's ok though. Almost over now. Soon the election will come, they'll lose every single seat and will wake up from this nightmare of halfheartedly trying to run a leftist government in a petrostate. Shhh. Shhh. Rockabye baby. It's gonna be ok.
[account deactivated]
just gonna assume that NDP some US intelligence agency acronym
apparently the canada post strike is heating up slightly, as the (fucking) liberals have passed back-to-work legislation against one of the few somewhat militant unions in canada, the posties. it seems they are trying to blockade one of their largest plants in ontario in an attempt to cost the company money without hurting consumers too much.
the ndp (new democrat party ) are complaining about the back to work legislation, which is at least the small benefit to having more than two parties like our comrades to the south. My ol mpp is at least justifiably pissed off, as an old negotiator for the union, posting about how "We have tools at our disposal to fight this decision in the legislature, in the board rooms and if need be, at the plant gates. We have to come together to fight this until the very end - too many lives depend on it."

it's pretty milquetoast, but at least its better than the rhetoric that comes from the south and poisons so much of our political discourse.
Ughhh the strikebreaking bill is so sleazy.

Working class Canadians have not been very effected by the strike. The rotating nature of the strikes means that the delays to individual people are limited to a few days in most cases.

Media keeps pushing this idea that there is a "huge backlog" and that the postal union is going to ruin Christmas!1!!

I should try and go help out at the blockade, assuming they keep it going.

What are good gifts/goods to bring to picketers?
coffee and doughnuts rarely go unappreciated. hand warmers are also good
Hi, I'm back.

Someone mentioned tenants organizing, which I think is extremely important. My city is about to get slammed with a housing crisis (we are a small college and government city, only about 70,000 people and we already have a 110 people tent city) and we're working on getting a housing movement going which will focus on social housing and tenants rights.

By "we" I mean the Communist Party of Canada, I joined them.

If you're in Ontario, Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) is very good (http://ocap.ca/home/). Check out Parkdale Organize and other related community-tenant organizations. The CPC has been very active on that front (http://parkdaleorganize.ca/)

Speaking of the NDP, they got absolutely destroyed in the last provincial election here, which resulted in a functionally hung parliament
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brunswick_general_election,_2018)

it's also totally legit to just roll up to a picket line and ask them if there's anything they need. sometimes they're already sitting on like 5 different stale boxes full of timmies so your coffee donation goes to waste etc

e:best thing we ever delivered was "some boxes to hold all of this shit people keep giving us"

Edited by shriekingviolet ()

I dunno what the weathers like there but tbh I like sticking baked potatoes wrapped in foil in coat pockets as handwarmers for long pickets and such
imagine what the oinks would call those in a press conference if you got picked up. i mean it's fine but imagine. lol
Sheriff: antifa plotted to pelt police with rotten vegetables, "super-heated" metal shards
back in the days of the local occupy camp (laugh track) when the cops were looking for excuses they decided that people's blankets were exotic weapons that could be thrown over officers heads, incapacitating them. then using cutting edge CSI cop logic they backsolved from this to declare that the Blanket Attacker, a known wanna-be serial rapist who had been trying to sexually assault women in the university area by throwing a blanket over them (but had been fought off every time because come on) was obviously staying at the occupy camp. thus it became a talking point that the camp was unsafe for women and sheltering rapists, dovetailing neatly with the other scare tactic of talking up how dangerous it was that those scaaaaary homeless people were using the camp to survive the winter.
the Occupy Experience™ taught so much to so many. unfortunately not everyone learned the same lessons
i learned at least four or five thug Lessons. thank you I will be naming former posters for much of ththe week. i continue now with corey,

shriekingviolet posted:

back in the days of the local occupy camp (laugh track) when the cops were looking for excuses they decided that people's blankets were exotic weapons that could be thrown over officers heads, incapacitating them. then using cutting edge CSI cop logic they backsolved from this to declare that the Blanket Attacker, a known wanna-be serial rapist who had been trying to sexually assault women in the university area by throwing a blanket over them (but had been fought off every time because come on) was obviously staying at the occupy camp. thus it became a talking point that the camp was unsafe for women and sheltering rapists, dovetailing neatly with the other scare tactic of talking up how dangerous it was that those scaaaaary homeless people were using the camp to survive the winter.

Tbh this thing about "people in temporary housing/ on the street are scary and will assault you" is so deeply embedded in our socialization that even I get a bit anxious when I go down to the tent city to hand out snacks and blankets. Thank you for reminding me this is cop propaganda.

SparksBandung posted:

Hi, I'm back.

welcome back

tears posted:

SparksBandung posted:

Hi, I'm back.

welcome back

Thank ye

So in Alberta NDP-adjacent news, everyone is getting hype about the upcoming electoral apocalypse that will almost certainly oust the hapless provincial NDP and install an eternal reich of wingnut psychopaths. Stepping up to the plate against this terrible gloom, a previously niche left-alternative party with an extremely creative name has sparked interest in the media: the Alberta Party. Formed out of a confused mishmash of leftists who were too left wing for the admittedly centrist NDP (but not "radicals," heaven forbid,) "leftists" who were too right wing for the NDP, and unaligned technocrat municipal tinpot mayors attempting to graduate up into the big leagues of Canada's miniature petrostate, the Alberta Party emerged from the congealed ennui of decades of conservative dominance and uninspiring ambitionless compromise politics from the dominant political bodies on the left.

Now, last election the Alberta Party failed to remember to put up any signage or do any campaigning until 3 days before the election, leaving everyone extremely confused when they kept showing up pretending to be a real party. Many of their candidates resorted to running their own solo campaigns only to discover that they were not on the ballot because they hadn't actually submitted any paperwork.

But this time, this time is going to be different. This election is going to be The Election, the one where the Alberta Party shows that they're a real party ready to sit at the grown-ups table, and that they can be a real contender and an effective force to split the left just in time for the newly galvanized fascist right to steamroll us all. You see this time they're being lead by veteran of Alberta politics Stephen Mandel, a known name and notable power player with the valuable experience and influence to get things done and get them done right, and this time

Edited by shriekingviolet ()

lol. Well the federal party is polling at pre-Layton levels (12%?) so we'll see what happens there. I can't really complain about the Ontario NDP here because Doug Ford is so bad that all they have to do is oppose everything that's happening. The Ontario Liberals are adapting to minor party status by holding West Wing DVD viewing nights in Toronto.

getfiscal posted:

The Ontario Liberals are adapting to minor party status by holding West Wing DVD viewing nights in Toronto.

why are provincial liberals like this

https://www.straight.com/blogra/460701/former-staffer-claims-bc-liberal-government-destroyed-highway-tears-records

Tim Duncan says he was ordered in November 2014 to delete email records of ministry officials' meetings related to the missing women on the Highway of Tears. In a bombshell May 18 letter to the B.C. information and privacy commissioner, Duncan alleges that a ministerial assistant ordered him to delete them.

"When I hesitated, he took away my keyboard, deleted the emails and returned the keyboard stating, 'It's done. Now you don't have to worry about it anymore,'" Duncan wrote.

"It's like in the West Wing. You do whatever it takes to win," Duncan alleges Wizinsky said.

More "even the NDP hates the NDP" news, Nathan Cullen has joined the list of a dozen or so NDP MPs that won't be running again in the upcoming election. I liked him and was in his camp when he ran for the leadership an age ago. He always looked like a stern baby concentrating really hard on pooping.

i watched the whole justice committee where JWR testified and i was surprised to find the ndp guys were pretty good. they both resigned this week after jagmeet got into the house. rip

shriekingviolet posted:

a stern baby concentrating really hard on pooping.

dont sign your posts