this album cover always sticks in my head

spotted among comments on a cure video
Varg Vikerne’s YouTube channel is a trip. His channel consists of designing his own personal tabletop rpg and testing out the dice roll probabilities irl with his children, interspersed with weird Nazi videos talking about Norse mythology and race.
subscribed
i remembered that this band exists and you know what they're cool, much better than like 90% of the bands trying to put psychedelic crap in black metal

randy bo-bandy
just became aware of Convulsing's second album a few days ago, though it was released midyear

dropping a random porcupine tree cover somewhere in each of your blackened death albums is the kind of gimmick i can appreciate

jiroemon1897 posted:

i cant help but think that the war metal aesthetic and human liberation dont really go together very well..

[account deactivated]
Fukking liberation?
that sankara thing is musically surprisingly good for what was probably conceived as a goof. i think in metal there's a lot of room for weird jokes or things that aren't quite concordant. definitely dling that one

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

that sankara thing is musically surprisingly good for what was probably conceived as a goof. i think in metal there's a lot of room for weird jokes or things that aren't quite concordant. definitely dling that one

i think that gimmick bands can be cool sometimes, that one isn't too bad. you can get some pretty bad music that is just sort of embarrassing made with a similar mindset though, like that neckbeard deathcamp band for example, just seems kind of cringeworthy for everyone involved. this is a cool old gimmick band i like:

damn that professor thing is cool, ive never heard of it before. my favourite gimmick band is Cannabis Corpse, i've listened to them so much i dont even really think about the weed gimmick anymore.

i've also listened to this dumb renovation/power-tool themed grindcore band way more than is healthy:

this band was sick. the old south east asian scene is really underappreciated even relative to the more obscure south american stuff..
[account deactivated]

FAILAIDS posted:

the funniest shit is that batushka's commitment to orthodoxy was so great, it had a full-on schism and now there's two bands laying claim to the name that have each released an album this year

(first is the group with the original principal songwriter; second is the one with the original vocalist)

Edited by Constantignoble ()

bump

also one of my favorite album covers ever (warning: its all synth)

dimashq posted:

that classic "put the mics on the roof of a hardware store near an airport a quarter mile from where the band is playing" approach to black metal production

not even a criticism; this sounds dope as hell. very meditative

e: that the all-synth one is still classed as "black metal" seems like a comment on subgenre being something more contextual than a simple tallying and quantification of auditory characteristics

Constantignoble posted:

that classic "put the mics on the roof of a hardware store near an airport a quarter mile from where the band is playing" approach to black metal production

not even a criticism; this sounds dope as hell. very meditative

e: that the all-synth one is still classed as "black metal" seems like a comment on subgenre being something more contextual than a simple tallying and quantification of auditory characteristics

I recommend their whole discography if you like that then, it's consistent and very good (best albums are their self titled and Steineiche). The dude behind Paysage d'Hiver is in Darkspace btw if you're familiar with them.

this band is pretty cool if you like weirder stuff
pretend this is the strangely aggressive reply you'd get on another kind of forum denouncing you as a vile poseur for calling whatever band "weird" instead of characterizing it as banal top-40 pop rock, as well as the two-to-twenty page game of round robin one-upmanship it starts. thank you for your patronage and we value your business

Petrol posted:

i have seen this band live many times (not lately, unfortunately) and they always tear it up. their vocalist also drums in these two great bands:

faceless burial

agents of abhorrence

wasn't aware mgla had a new album last year. looked at the cover and it seemed like some pretty fash imagery, so i searched around and yup, looks like last year they were outed as nazis

this keeps happening

they're a polish black metal band it would be unusual if they weren't right wing

they're a polish black metal band it would be unusual if they weren't right wing

they're a ukrainian black metal band it would be unusual if they weren't right wing

they're a hungarian black metal band it would be unusual if they weren't right wing

they're a french black metal band it would be unusual if they weren't right wing

they're a