getfiscal posted:

editor

inaccurate, consider using "handler"

im going to devote the next couple of weeks to reading azealia banks' instagram and twitter so i can nail her voice and write the winning musk/grimes fanfiction and receive $1500 from her. im sure she was entirely serious

getfiscal posted:

when i write things now the kind editor sends them back just covered in red from all my basic punctuation and grammatical errors. somehow completed a masters degree though so yolo.

"the internet is my style guide bich"

getfiscal posted:

when i write things now the kind editor sends them back just covered in red from all my basic punctuation and grammatical errors. somehow completed a masters degree though so yolo.

never let that shit get you down. i have a friend who got a wretched primary education (private christian school in the prairies, lol) and as a result has atrocious spelling/grammar, but they're still an excellent writer and ace academic. just think of yourself as a job creator for all those shiftless editors

there seem to be many writers who are shit at that which makes me annoyed at the waste of time in school. Also the five years factoring algebraic equations or whatever. And i guess also all of the literature and history and ... hmm

shriekingviolet posted:

never let that shit get you down. i have a friend who got a wretched primary education (private christian school in the prairies, lol) and as a result has atrocious spelling/grammar, but they're still an excellent writer and ace academic. just think of yourself as a job creator for all those shiftless editors

yeah it doesn't really bother me, i respect the editors work a lot. although i did sort of botch my masters thesis and got a lot of negative comments back. somehow still an a-minus because of grade inflation. i can identify most of the things i screwed up though which seems like a second best way of learning things. i found i had to leave most classrooms about an hour or so into class too because of anxiety.

it's amazing how many opportunities being attached to a university got me though. almost absurd considering none of those resources exist for just random people it seems like. it makes me want to learn more about popular education in the future. i don't really feel like i fit in in normal academia but yeah i could see teaching little groups or something.

pop ed is really cool and you can develop a lot of really useful skills getting even basic training in pop ed techniques. if there are any orgs around you offering pop ed training I'd take em up on it, it's a pretty good experience. i also didn't "fit," and yeah the amount of resources and advantages you lose once you detach from the academic circuit is staggering. really proud of you pulling through despite health stuff standing in your way, even if you don't stay in traditional uni fields it'll do you a lot of good to have that paper cred. I washed out at the very end of the road and even though interpersonally I retained a lot of valuable connections, the impersonal bureaucratic penalty of that failure will always haunt me.

that's actually one of the things I have come to value so much about our home here: one of those rare places hors de l'academe where people can pursue independent research and writing and still have that invisible college of peers to contribute knowledge and critique you.

Panopticon posted:

Got admitted to a psychiatric ward. Guess it's true what they said about Trotskyism

all the best

thank you. actually i'm going to do that this week i think. i will go bug some informed local people about this and see if there is some sort of thing i can volunteer with or something. also yeah... after having experienced the full range of what twitter etc offer, it's amazing how i can still come here and find a bunch of takes i don't see elsewhere which seem more insightful. twitter basically auto-generates all the normie and woke opinions you'll ever find within a few hours of an event but it's usually the same jumble every time.

shriekingviolet posted:

in a lot of white-collar stuff nowadays it's a straight-up power move to fuck up spelling & grammar constantly and never improve

under no circunstances spell anything corectly or use any sort of puntuation
my foot is bleeding and im ovulating so my skin is shit atm
i lost my wifi so now whenever i go on the computer it's out in this little park with wifi by a library (Closed!) in a parisian suburb.

it's kind of nice for posting, out in the open air. i never had a smartphone so i'm not used to sitting in the grass and posting. but the place i'm staying is cheap and dirty and a hassle, i'll be happy to leave next month.
also i've been reading settlers and taking notes, and it's so good, i forgot just how good it is.
being a long-term NEET is very frustrating and depressing. how would you make this life viable? i'm so bored and lonely and frustrated from sitting in my room all the time
Decosmolined a zastava .32. Works like a charm heavy gun for a light load, makes it pleasant to shoot.

graphicalUSSRinterface posted:

being a long-term NEET is very frustrating and depressing. how would you make this life viable? i'm so bored and lonely and frustrated from sitting in my room all the time

Watch more anime

its tough but you gotta go outside and do stuff, even if its just going for a little walk and looking at a bird or something

try voluntary work maybe?

book a flight to england, ill meet u at the airport

graphicalUSSRinterface from your posts here it sounds like you're involved in communist organizing which is cool and nice. we tend to have a lot of Jobs on this forum but there's no shame in denying your labor to the global bourgeois rape state, you're probably doing objectively better things with your time than most of your peers.

inclination permitting, have you considered Getting Swole?

why not try to have sex with a lady, e.g. one of the ppl you organize with. that's sure to end well

i've technically been mostly neet for the last 4 months because i've been living off some savings i rustled together from my manual job on wages artificially inflated by colonial plunder. i have about two more months of this with the trip i'm taking then i'm going to have to work again, which i'm half looking forward to and half not.

i think the trouble with neeting is that you just don't have money, and most social things require at least a little bit of money (if only for transportation fare, the occasional drink, etc.). i would say read more but i doubt that's what you need, it sounds like loneliness is the big thing for you which i don't know how to remedy staying on the course you're on now

littlegreenpills posted:

why not try to have sex with a lady

wow, mods?

Do NOT try to have sex with the mods.
[account deactivated]

Meursault posted:

Do NOT try to have sex with the mods.

I read the last few pages of the twitter thread and several of you should probably spend less time on twitter
Spent a few days this week cleaning the yard and trimming trees, gathering supplies for Florence. Then we mostly got missed and ive got tons of water. Meanwhile eastern NC has people stuck on rooftops. Will post donation links for on the ground relief in various areas if I come across any.

JohnBeige posted:

Spent a few days this week cleaning the yard and trimming trees, gathering supplies for Florence. Then we mostly got missed and ive got tons of water. Meanwhile eastern NC has people stuck on rooftops. Will post donation links for on the ground relief in various areas if I come across any.

this is the second 40" plus deluge from a very slow moving, very big hurricane to hit the US in under 2 years, things are getting pretty wild out there, good luck

Typhoon mangkhut also looks very scary.
yeah, its eerie
remember that hurricane that looked like a big grinning skull
Saw that picture for the first time this week and was spooked. Luckily I live inland where skull hurricanes can’t reach me, except Irma
it was a very scary skull, like spookily scary, i just double checked, that skull hurricane hit in exactly the same place that is being hit right now

Edited by dimashq ()

idiot, dont post it, youve gone and cursed us, detele
and dont worship skulls mate, thats what the nazis had on thair hats
forgive me oh god what have I done